Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Re: Things that I hate

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 am

I don't know what you lost, since I didn't think you were practicing law, but I'm sorry all the same. *hugs for Bologna*
I lost the legislative battle against regressive tax hikes.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Nomi, I thought of you today. :( On my way home today, there was a pigeon huddled on the step by the gate to our building. It was alive, but didn't move when I unlocked the gate and swung it open over it and walked on by. I'm sure it was injured and/or dying, and I felt so bad for it huddled there. I didn't know what to do, and I had Nom-nom strapped to me, so I'm trying to convince myself it was just a very laid-back bird and it won't be there when I leave the house in the morning.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Awww, there's probably nothing you could do. Since they are considered pests, I doubt a wildlife rehabber would be willing to come get it.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 am

Actually, it might still be there right now. It was dead when I got home.

It occurs to me that possibly I shouldn't have moved it onto the sidewalk in view of the very dodgy Indian restaurant next door.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:14 am

Squab is a very fancy dish! :P
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 am

Holy cow, I was going to laugh until I googled that and saw that was real.

:gasp:
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Postby Dobie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsd-CPDOX18#t=1m14s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:32 am

Squab is a very fancy dish! :P
Ew.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 pm

My debit card number got stolen and copied (still have the original card and it has since been cancelled). I noticed it immediately but they spent $450 in one day. I had to go to the police department and file a report and then take it to my bank to get the charges reimbursed.

Also, my driver's side door handle broke. Until it gets fixed, I have to get in and out on the passenger side.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:16 pm

My debit card number got stolen and copied (still have the original card and it has since been cancelled). I noticed it immediately but they spent $450 in one day. I had to go to the police department and file a report and then take it to my bank to get the charges reimbursed.

Also, my driver's side door handle broke. Until it gets fixed, I have to get in and out on the passenger side.
What a crappy day, Nomi. *hug* Bank fraud of any sort is one of my biggest fears.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm glad you got it taken care of, Nomi!

I always try to use my credit card for everything, so if something like that does happen, the maximum amount I'm on the hook for is $50. (You have unlimited liability for debit card theft, depending on when you report it and how much was stolen, but federal law caps credit card theft.)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:29 pm

I do know that about debit/cred cards which is why I never use my debit card online and I really only use it locally, like when I need to get cash back with a purchase. But I guess it can happen anywhere. :?

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:36 pm

My debit card number got stolen and copied (still have the original card and it has since been cancelled).

I have had this happen to me twice. The first time they spent about $200 and it took a couple of weeks to get it back. The second time they only spend about $25 at a Jack in the Box, and because it was such a little amount the bank tried to tell me it wasn't fraud and I was lying because if it was fraud they would have spent so much more. That's when I switched banks.
This has only happened to me once, and it really sucks too : (
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:41 pm

The second time they only spend about $25 at a Jack in the Box, and because it was such a little amount the bank tried to tell me it wasn't fraud and I was lying because if it was fraud they would have spent so much more.
If they got the 2 for 99 cents tacos, they did spend a lot.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Honestly, I hope that's how it was spent! : P
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:38 am

My train back from visiting zero broke down. Twice. I got to Chicago at 1:30. I paid as much to get back to my apartment by the only method of transportation available at this time of night as it cost to get me to him. I have work tomorrow/later today. s***** ass night.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:43 am

Admit it, lady, you were up in the conductor's booth hanging off of the brake.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:11 pm

hah! You would think so, since the train broke down about 14 miles away from his city and then, when we got towed, the tow train broke down one mile after that point, so I spent 4.5 hours pretty close to where he is.

But...sitting in a hot, powerless, air-conditionerless, unopenable window environment wasn't very fun, less so without him suffering with me, and I was just far enough away to make walking back to his place unpractical.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 am

Seeing my name repeat so often on the "Last posted" or whatever it is called column.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:43 am

2.5 snuggle-free weeks, and 8 to go :(
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:36 am

I feel ya.

96 snuggle-free weeks and 12 to go for me. Give or take.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:02 am

I feel ya.

96 snuggle-free weeks and 12 to go for me. Give or take.

ouchies!
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:03 am

Mastercard SecureCode: Making your card so secure, even YOU can't use it!

(Seriously, I never have trouble with the Visa version. But I have not once made the Mastercard one work the first time. Or at all, then given up and used Visa.)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 am

The government mandating that I buy insurance. The fact that in the long run Obamacare can only possibly make healthcare less affordable for the nation as a whole, because it reduces competition and allows the costs of healthcare to continue to skyrocket.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Don't worry, elf. It's not just insurance. It's anything. So long as the enforcement mechanism is a regulatory penalty.

(Nevermind that constitutional law has always held that regulatory penalties require authority from other enumerated powers because the taxing power doesn't authorize them.)

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 am

My glasses, from which the anti-scratch coating has decided to begin separating making it look like there is a very large scuff and a smaller scuff on the right lens, and cracks all around the edges of both lenses, and the fact that it's going to be sometime the end of next week before my new ones are done. Gives me a headache, using a computer, reading, or driving them them. At least I can read without them as long as I hold the book a foot or closer to my face. :D

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:28 am

Church. Seriously, it is really starting to get to me being around all these super-conservative people all the time who have no respect for education, science, or rationalism. To make matters worse, the whole thing I'm there to do, the music, is of mediocre quality and there is no way to improve it without importing an entire choir of musicians from outside the church.

You ought to find a different church. The right one is great.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I took an unintended 3 month hiatus from Pweb (as in, I forgot about it for a couple of weeks then got out of the habit, then when I'd think about it I wouldn't come because I thought about how far behind I was on reading posts, but I digress)...

The problem, for me, is twofold. Partly, it is because I'm one of the staff at the church so it's a job, not a congregation I chose to be a part of for any other reason. I direct the music, and I get a paycheck for doing it.

The other problem is one that Alea mentioned: some people are better off with no church at all. Since I took this position, I stopped believing. Unfortunately, I've also been unable to secure other employment so I'm stuck for now...

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:41 am

(as in, I forgot about it for a couple of weeks then got out of the habit, then when I'd think about it I wouldn't come because I thought about how far behind I was on reading posts, but I digress)...
This happens to me a lot.
The problem, for me, is twofold. Partly, it is because I'm one of the staff at the church so it's a job, not a congregation I chose to be a part of for any other reason. I direct the music, and I get a paycheck for doing it.

The other problem is one that Alea mentioned: some people are better off with no church at all. Since I took this position, I stopped believing. Unfortunately, I've also been unable to secure other employment so I'm stuck for now...
Ah, that is understandably bummeresque. What's the style of music the church prefers? I've been to some where the music is pretty glitzy/showy, but my personal preference is much closer to an acoustic/folk-y instrumentation (with the occasional piece on organ).

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Ah, that is understandably bummeresque. What's the style of music the church prefers? I've been to some where the music is pretty glitzy/showy, but my personal preference is much closer to an acoustic/folk-y instrumentation (with the occasional piece on organ).
It is what we in the biz call "blended". That is, traditional hymns with a light mix of the "contemporary" praise and worship songs thrown in. Of course, the contemporary stuff we do is often now 15-20 years old or more. Piano, organ, and choir.

If I had my way it'd be fully traditional with a pipe organ and Bach chorales, but there is no pipe organ and none in the choir would be able to come close to singing a Bach chorale, and I'd probably get run off for not doing at least some of the "good ol' hymns" (though I find it hilarious that the "good ol' hymns" are, on average, 200-300 years newer than the stuff I really like).

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 pm

Finding out that one of the dogs I sit occasionally chewed one of the earbuds off the set I keep in my laptop bag and I didn't notice it until now, a month since the last time I watched them.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 am

Hangovers are so so so much worse when you had a salty dinner, eat lots of salty chips and don't drink water as well. I knew all these things and still didn't forestall problems (I did try to stay up drinking water when I realized I was in for trouble the next day, didn't work out, fell asleep). Yesterday SUCKED.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:54 pm

All of the Obamacare exemptions are going to the unions and top Democratic donors who helped ram it through in the first place. Apparently our new healthcare system is so great that the people who worked to create it don't actually want it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 pm

Set off the fire alarm at work (I did actually burn something) and the fire department came. Remember how I said I was tired? Ugh.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Set off the fire alarm at work (I did actually burn something) and the fire department came. Remember how I said I was tired? Ugh.

Oez Noez! What an annoying thing! How did you burn it?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Unattended popcorn. I was setting up the Wii in the room next door to the break room and the bags were done much earlier than I had expected...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”