Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Re: Things that I hate

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed May 23, 2012 7:39 pm

A better question, at least in my case, would be "What in hell are you talking about?" ;)
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed May 23, 2012 7:59 pm

I thought we were just speaking metaphorically until doc's post. :?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu May 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeah, no idea what you're about, Chico :P

Me, I'm just a bit neurotic about not killing creepy crawlies, especially spiders.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu May 24, 2012 5:16 pm

One of the early bosses in Diablo III - a game about the forces of hell invading the world - is a spider queen.
The enemy's fly is down.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu May 24, 2012 6:03 pm

I was just frightened at the idea of a spider queen hunting me down for all of the deaths over the years...
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu May 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Losing.

I lost today.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 24, 2012 8:26 pm

I don't know what you lost, since I didn't think you were practicing law, but I'm sorry all the same. *hugs for Bologna*
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 pm

I've never thought about this before. But I hate swimming. Hate it. Absolutely. I like messing around in pools, heck, I love pools. I love boats. I love boating. I love rafting, and probably would get a kick out of surfing. I love inner tubing and water skiing.

But Jesus Christ on a ham sandwich, do I hate swimming.

I think I never learned how to swim properly. Something with the breathing, and the proper way to kick and pull yourself through the water. It's either this, or it's entirely psychological, because I get horrible panic attacks when I'm in situations from which there is no easy escape.

A friend who I love doing fitness things with, and who is in horrible shape because she never exercises, invited me to be in a triathlon with her. She said everyone talks up the swimming part, but she, in her out-of-shape-ness, managed to do it in about a half-hour. I made it two laps before I was hyperventilating and panicking.

Hate it.

My body now, completely reflexively, and I also mean this literally, is telling me that I'm supposed to be curling up, shaking, and crying. And I have no idea why.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 25, 2012 2:35 am

I'm really sorry to hear that, Mich. Swimming is one of my favourite feelings in the world, I'm sorry you can't feel that. Did you swim much as a kid? I find people who don't get exposed to it as kids have a much harder time with it when they're older. For some reason it seems hard to teach that rhythm of movement to adults. :(

I hope you recover[ed] quickly.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri May 25, 2012 8:45 am

I swam all. The. Time. As a kid. I could never do distance very well. I took swimming lessons at 8 or 9, I went to the YMCA every other week some summers, in Boy Scouts did it all the time. But if I ever tried to do anything other than the simple things (dog paddle or backstroke) and I would end up clinging to the nearest edge.

It's pretty frustrating and a little embarrassing to finally realize that I'm bad at it. I'm wondering if it's my fault or my instructors, because while I don't recall ever being told I was doing anything wrong, I can sometimes react harshly to uninvited criticism.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri May 25, 2012 8:45 am

That seriously sucks, Mich. I'm sorry, friend! I was a competitive swimmer in my younger years. Swimming through the water is one of my favorite feelings in the whole world!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri May 25, 2012 5:21 pm

To be completely frank it's also possibly fueled by my anxiety issues, without getting into self-obsessed, analytical, armchair psychologist depth. It would explain how I felt afterward, for hours, and how even now I'm stupidly scared to try again, even with my new knowledge thanks to talking to several competitive swimmers that I know. (Exhale underwater! Who would have thought?)

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri May 25, 2012 7:08 pm

I know the trick to exhale underwater but I still can't swim underwater without holding my nose. I try to exhale and as soon as my nose hits the water, the exhaling stops and water enters. Oh well. I can swim fine above water and have no anxiety about it (I can tread water for a LONG time). Unless there are weeds involved. Long, slimy weeds that touch your feet/legs when you try to swim. *shudder*
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 25, 2012 8:08 pm

I took lessons every summer until I was 10 or so and do enjoy casual swimming but I also know I do the breathing wrong (wait...breathe in when I turn my head out to the side? But...water gets in because my strokes are causing splashes so I'll just improvise on that...),though no anxiety or issues with going underwater or anything like that, and the second it looks like it's more for exercise than fun, I don't want to do more than splash around. Why taint a good thing with something I consider essential but not fun?

My absolute favorite thing to do in a pool is to float on the surface, though not on any inflatable, just on my back.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat May 26, 2012 12:28 am

the second it looks like it's more for exercise than fun, I don't want to do more than splash around. Why taint a good thing with something I consider essential but not fun?
Right? It's funny because I'm pretty great at diving, I can hold my breath for a long time normally, and I get around awesomely when we're messing around. But if I decide to go distances I panic. Bottom line: bodies are weird.

Row--row.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sat May 26, 2012 1:06 am

My absolute favorite thing to do in a pool is to float on the surface, though not on any inflatable, just on my back.
My big butt ALWAYS sinks when I try to float on my back... I can float perfectly on my front but there is that whole lack of air thing that makes it hard to do for extended periods and thus less relaxing and fun.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat May 26, 2012 4:21 am

It is effortful for me to float on my back, but I can very comfortably float vertically, with just my face at the surface. Weird, I know.

Nomi, I am ace at swimming, swam competitively for some years, had my lifeguarding certificate, etc. etc. But I have a phobia of murky water. If I can't see the bottom, I get panicky. I can swim head-up, or I can close my eyes, but if my eyes are open and seeing nothing, I freak. It was extreme bravery the year I guarded at a summer camp with a swimming pond and we had to do practice deep-water searches for potential missing kids. Swimming through the dark, covered in slimy weeds... Oh my lord it was awful. *shudders so much*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Sun May 27, 2012 12:20 am

I hate transcribing things. :|
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 27, 2012 4:45 am

I hate whatever this thing is that I've got. Lethargy is an impediment to OGSD and I hate losing my voice and whatever is all swollen under the right side of my jaw.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun May 27, 2012 9:50 am

Do you still get bad allergies over there, Ali? Because, man, allergies make me SO tired and they are really bad here right now.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 27, 2012 10:09 am

I was much better after Nom-nom was born and through the winter, but my sinuses have kicked back in. I may actually have developed allergies, can you imagine? Need to book a doc's appointment about it because I can't get anything OTC while still breastfeeding.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun May 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Many of the newer allergy meds are OTC now and from some quick research, Claritin (loratadine) seems to be the safest during breastfeeding. Though if you do see the doctor, another option is an antihistamine nasal spray (like Astelin) which has even less chance of affecting the baby. There really isn't much that the doctors have for allergies nowadays, that isn't OTC, other than nasal sprays and eye drops.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 27, 2012 1:09 pm

*laughter* Would you come explain that to the pharmacist?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 pm

Wait, you can't get OTC meds yourself? You have to get them through a pharamacist? What sense does that make? Hmm, you don't have regular stores similar to Walmart or Target that sell stuff like that on the shelves? Anyway, I get my allergy medicine from ebay because it's much cheaper if you take it daily

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 30, 2012 11:38 am

I am grumpy today. I hate being grumpy.

I am grumpy because I went to do laundry and some idiot jammed the coin slot thing on the washing machine and I didn't notice until after I put my laundry and detergent into the thing.

I am grumpy because the landlord won't come fix this until tomorrow. This in and of itself is not a huge annoyance until I remember that was his exact response for when some idiot flushed towels down their toilet and jammed the main pipe, making everyone's toilet inoperable; "I'll be there tomorrow!" Sorry, dude, but your job isn't a M-F, 9-5. Fix it today, in the case of the toilets.

I am grumpy because now not only is my tub having draining issues, so is my kitchen sink. I did the dishes before I left on Friday and now I have to redo some of them because over the weekend, my sink backed up and dirtied the dishes in the drying rack.

I am grumpy because there is no A/C in this apartment and I had to sleep a bit overheated last night, which made for a poorer than desired sleeping situation.

Mostly I'm just grumpy because I feel like not trying to be a decent person and telling myself these things aren't so bad, cheer up. *Grrrrrump* :grumble:

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 am

I am grumpy because I went to do laundry and some idiot jammed the coin slot thing on the washing machine and I didn't notice until after I put my laundry and detergent into the thing.

This makes me want to stab something. I HATE SHARING LAUNDRY FACILITIES.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 30, 2012 12:40 pm

This is my first negative laundry experience, either here or when I was in Tucson. I just don't understand why the person who did it couldn't call to give a heads up. Then it might be fixed by now.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Apparently, last night I found the most awkward possible position for my neck then stayed in that position for the entire night. I woke up with this incredible pain in my neck. It hurt to move. It hurt to sit up this morning.

I didn't realize how much bending is involved in feeding my pets in the morning!

I've been nurturing my poor hurt neck all day.
-Kim

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed May 30, 2012 3:07 pm

I hate that my Grandpa died yesterday. (Although, realistically, he would have been 98 in July. He led more than a good, long life.)
I hate the way my body feels right now. It's so outside the realm of normal and it sucks.
I hate the temperature being higher than the mid-70's.
I hate that the a/c on my car has stopped working and the window electrical system is being really touchy.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 30, 2012 3:09 pm

*hugs for Steph, with a side of hugs and a tall, dark glass of hugs* Geez, just the first thing there alone is enough to make things suck. I'm so sorry, Steph.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed May 30, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm so, so sorry Steph. You and your family are in my thoughts.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:10 pm

*big hugs for steph*

I'm so sorry. No matter how good or long a life is, it's sad to see someone you love go.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed May 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Another seemingly small upset about wild animals dying...I saw a snapping turtle on the road today and pulled over to move him (with the turtle moving sticks I keep in my trunk). When I got to him, I realized that he had been hit by a car. His shell was cracked and when I tried to move him, blood came out of his mouth. It was so awful. By then, a bunch of cars had stopped (including the person that had accidentally hit him). A guy helped me put him on the shoulder and there was nothing else to be done. Honestly? If no one else had been around, I think I would have run over him again until he was totally dead so he didn't have to sit there in the sun, slowly dying and having vultures pick at his body. I felt nauseated afterwards.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu May 31, 2012 9:59 am

Thanks, guys. Hugs are most welcome. Funeral is on saturday. All of his grandchildren, all but 2 of his grandchildren-in-law, and all but 3 of his great grandchildren will be here. All the grandchildren and in-laws will be singing John Rutter's ” The Lord Bless you and Keep You”, the number we did in church for his 97th birthday last summer.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 31, 2012 10:50 am

*many hugs*

Return to “Milagre Town Square”