Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Re: Things that I hate

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Turns out they're playing it next week still. Crisis averted (for now!).
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:48 pm

When I saw Hunger Games, someone had an infant/toddler with them. The baby fussed and cried loudly throughout most of the movie and it was incredibly annoying. But I'm annoyed by a lot of things at movie theaters. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:36 pm

I can't imagine taking a baby to the theatre with me. Even if they didn't make a sound, I would be totally paranoid the whole time - plus the waste of money if you have to walk out with a crying baby.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 pm

It's common practice around here at every theatre and with everyone that I know. I'm done defending myself on the matter.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Steph, I hope you don't think anyone was saying your experience is the wrong way to do things. It's not the common practice to others on the board, as it's becoming apparent, but I think it's great that your community embraces the family outings and is able to pull it off. It speaks rather highly of your children, first and foremost, and it speaks highly of you all for raising said children.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:09 pm

That time when people who are otherwise mostly reasonable human beings start posting completely bizarre political bullshit on facebook!!

Time for another epic hiding/unfriending effort in the next couple months.

Prompted by this post from a vet school classmate (unfriended):
"Heard on the news today that illegals coming from the south have decreased and illegals going back south have increased. I'd credit our President with this success but the experts said the main reason is because Obama has killed the economy to the point that Americans are finally figuring out that they're not above work once considered for "mexicans" and they're taking those jobs. Does my heart good to know that we're paying for less and less illegal trash, not proud how it came about but I'll take it."
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 pm

I totally didn't mean that against you, Steph! If someone brings a baby and it doesn't make a lot of noise, I wouldn't even notice or care. And practices definitely vary in different areas.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:49 pm

BLOODY HELL!!
Good on you for unfriending them, Kim. I don't live in America and take little notice of the state of things there but that comment is complete and utter CRAP!
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:20 am

My weekend started out beautifully and then got very bad, very fast. I hate that.

To add insult to injury, I lost one of my Nomi earpins. I could buy a new set just like the one I lost but it wouldn't be the same. f****** hell.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Oh no! I can easily make just one to replace the lost one. Not the same but still. I'm sorry for the crappy weekend. :(

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:49 pm

I could buy a new set just like the one I lost but it wouldn't be the same.
I know how it feels. Silly as it is every time my coffee mug broke (one without a cool design on it, just a plain one) it got replaced with an identical one but it felt like I was somehow betraying the old one. The same way you might feel about getting another dog after an old and loyal one died.

"But you didn't sit on my desk providing me with hope in dark hours of the night while I worked on essays for the third time because the files kept getting corrupted. :( " That's something I also hate.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:01 pm

The same way you might feel about getting another dog after an old and loyal one died.
Yes. These were a "Hey, you're not a terrible, awful, evil person and this big life event and all the people involved who want you to think you are because of it are wrong" gift. I've worn them practically every day since then, wearing something else maybe a handful of times in 3.5 years. I named one of the beads "Ali" when I started my new job three years ago. I rubbed on these when I got anxious, something I couldn't do at all today because I took the one I have left out.

I wouldn't have even noticed if a guy on the train last night hadn't found a completely different, not-mine earring and asked if anyone was missing one. I put my fingers to my ear, confident I had mine and audibly gasped when I came away empty handed on one side. More tears in an already tearful weekend. Bah.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 03, 2012 7:40 am

Forgetting/neglecting to update Nom's tumblr. Gah.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Thu May 03, 2012 5:40 pm

I wouldn't have even noticed if a guy on the train last night hadn't found a completely different, not-mine earring and asked if anyone was missing one. I put my fingers to my ear, confident I had mine and audibly gasped when I came away empty handed on one side. More tears in an already tearful weekend. Bah.
You mean you only found out you lost an ear-ring because someone else lost one and someone else again found it and asked about it? Talk about the FIoAT.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Thu May 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Me.
The password is "guilty"

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 am

*hugs for confessions*

I know you might hate you right now, but I want you to know that I love you, whoever you are. And I'm pretty fierce about that, so don't go discounting it!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun May 06, 2012 5:20 pm

The shelves in our kitchen just fell off the wall for no damn reason whatsoever. All of our glass storage containers? shattered. Glass and food EVERYWHERE, including in the beautiful vegetable casserole I had just baked for this week's lunches, which was cooling on the counter directly below our shelves. Our precious le cresuet is in tact, but chipped like hell, the clay pitcher my friend Bri made for me as going away present is smashed to bits, as are all of our pinch bowls. So much bulk dry goods need to be tossed now, because of all the shards of glass mixed in. And the mess is unbelievable. Not the way I wanted to end a blissfully perfect weekend.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun May 06, 2012 6:50 pm

I was just looking at the pics on FB. Uggggh!! That is so sucky. I'm sorry about your stuff.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 07, 2012 6:06 am

:( So sucky. I'm sorry. I'm glad you are all okay, although the destruction is a huge pain.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 15, 2012 12:21 pm

My external hard-drive has been giving me malfunction messages for the past three days. The small potential for data recovery aside, I'm really upset right now. Four years worth of stuff is on there. All my family pictures, which the rest of my family couldn't be bothered to keep. All my old Pweb stuff. All my pictures of zero and me. Everything is on there.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue May 15, 2012 1:01 pm

I've used diskinternals to recover stuff from harddrives. Their NTFS reader at least allowed me to browse them, and move data to new HDs without having to purchase the recovery/restoration software.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Yes, that is what Zero is for. He needs to come to the rescue!

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue May 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Fear not! It's almost certainly salvageable - it's probably the interface between the drive and the USB connector that's gone, not the drive itself. It should be possible to rescue the data just by dismantling it and plugging the drive into a computer directly.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue May 15, 2012 3:20 pm

I hate loud breathing so much. And by loud, I mean if I can hear it further than a foot away. Unfortunately, my husband is a fairly loud breather. This causes much angst.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Fear not! It's almost certainly salvageable - it's probably the interface between the drive and the USB connector that's gone, not the drive itself. It should be possible to rescue the data just by dismantling it and plugging the drive into a computer directly.
Don't present me with your reasonableness when I want to freak out, dangit. :P

Nomi, zero will be here this weekend, or part of it anyway, but seeing as others will be here as well, I don't think it's right to stick him in a corner and make him fix it quite yet. Then I go to AZ the following weekend, work the weekend after, go to LA the weekend after that...it's not looking like he can rescue anything for a month and I am going to just freak out in the meantime. :mrgreen:

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri May 18, 2012 5:48 am

I'm really annoyed at myself and my email phobia. It causes itself. I really need to get over this.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 am

There was a moth with most of one wing missing that was sitting on my ceiling for a couple days. I told my husband I thought we were going to have to put it out of it's misery soon. Well, this morning when I started the shower, it was in there with me. Flutterly lamely in the water. Now, I can't see much without my glasses but I caught it to make sure it was the same disabled moth and then...I killed it and rinsed it down the drain. I feel terrible.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 am

*hugs Nomi*

You have a big heart to be bothered by something so (seemingly) small.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 23, 2012 11:42 am

*hugs Nomi*

You have a big heart to be bothered by something so (seemingly) small.
This.

This wasn't something I ever gave much thought to before. If a small creature was making me nervous/scared/in my way/whatever the case may be, I usually didn't think much about doing whatever it took to get it away from me or outright killing it. It was just a bug, after all. And then I had a short but effective talk with zero about his ideas on killing and I felt very ashamed that I looked at it so flippantly before.

I try to be more sympathetic to the little ones now but man, I think people like you, who just think that way because that's who you are, are rather wonderful people.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed May 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks. Believe me, there have been times when I'm reading in bed and a spider/ant/etc suddenly appears on me and I don't have my glasses and my instinct takes over to just SMASH SMASH SMASH. But other than those few times, I try to let them live. Except for mosquitoes. I don't see any purpose for them in the world. Other than to make me miserable.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Ugh. Mosquitoes. Definitely a thing I hate.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed May 23, 2012 4:49 pm

I have a similar feeling over most creatures with too many legs in the house. That said, part of my hesitance at killing spiders is some deep-seated belief that every time I kill a spider, the harder time I will have justifying my life when the Queen of Spiders confronts me to account for her lost children.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed May 23, 2012 6:41 pm

I have a similar feeling over most creatures with too many legs in the house. That said, part of my hesitance at killing spiders is some deep-seated belief that every time I kill a spider, the harder time I will have justifying my life when the Queen of Spiders confronts me to account for her lost children.
:shock:
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed May 23, 2012 7:28 pm

This wouldn't be the same Spider Queen I killed in that cave the other day, would it? 'Cause if it is, I'd like to posthumously thank her for the Rare Bracers of Awesomeness I found on her corpse.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 23, 2012 7:30 pm

What in the world are you people talking about?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”