Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:50 pm

You know, there aren't any cockroaches where I live. Just sayin'. It's a nice place to live and one might consider moving to said place. :D
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Ditto on the never having seen a cockroach. Yay for that! Although, in general I don't mind bugs that don't bite/sting me. I don't LOVE them but as long as it isn't harming me, my general response is to take a picture for identification/curiosity purposes and then move it outdoors (alive).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:08 pm

Olives
What!? How!?

*adds to the list*
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:21 pm

We should really keep track this time because I know there have been things besides this and Meg, but she's the only thing that ever sticks.

1) Meg Ryan
2) Olives

Now, let's see if I can remember this is here next time we find something to add.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Cockroaches
Absolutely. They scare the hell out of me.
Watch out. We got some bad roaches, here.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:44 am

Aw, man, olives are awesome! Especially the big green ones stuffed with feta! Yesterday we went through the international food fair in town and bought a big container of mixed olives. Oh man they are so good.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:40 pm

Noooooooo. Stump-sy is going to be performing at Schubas Tavern on April 3rd and it's sold out. I suck for not paying better attention.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Good job, Americans. (Not all of you, just these ones.)

I kind of figured any karmic debts were settled when Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:52 pm

I think if any of my friends were stupid enough to post crap like that, I would "unfriend" them.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:18 pm

I'd probably first take a strip out of them.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:40 pm

You can't have my strip. I need it. I wouldn't mind too much if you turned it inside out, though.

That said, how many of those retards on facebook are anywhere near old enough to have even the slightest idea what they're talking about?
The enemy's fly is down.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Is it wrong to wish for localized micro earthquakes that destroyed just these people's homes?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:19 am

Boo hiss. Woke up with a migraine. And a phone call letting me know that He is invited to the wedding I'm going to in a few weeks. Grr.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:14 pm

I really, really, really hate working for the government.

I hate implementing programs with which I disagree. I hate the way the system inevitably rewards those who know how to abuse it and leaves those who are honest to languish. I hate being forced into a union to which I do not want to belong. I hate the waste, the WASTE of money. I hate the touchy-feely bullshit workshops management farms us through to give the illusion that they care. I hate that the office is set up in such a way that the overall mentality is one of laziness and passing the buck whenever possible. I hate that my job requires me to appear morally ambiguous when dealling with customer service calls. I HATE when people who don't qualify for the program and have some horribly fatal disease burst into tears of rage while on the phone with me and splutter out a horrifying "Well, I guess I'll just go lay down and die, then!" before hanging up on me.

I hate that there are NO CLEAR POLICIES for ANYTHING and anytime an even slightly varied situation crops up it takes a team of laywers and managers at least three freaking days of parsing poorly-written guidebooks line by freaking line to determine a course of action, and leave me to fend off all the pissed off people affected until they come up with a damn answer. An answer which is COMPLETELY nonsensical and ultimately unsatisfactory for everyone involved. BE DECISIVE, PEOPLE. IMPLEMENT PROGRAMS THAT ARE FISCALLY FEASIBLE, THAT ACTUALLY ASSIST PEOPLE IN NEED, THAT DON'T REWARD ASSHOLES WHO f*** WITH THE SYSTEM, AND MANAGE YOUR s***. MANAGE YOUR s***, PEOPLE. OH MY GOD.

I FREAKING HATE MY JOB. Screw public service! I cannot, cannot, cannot wait to get back to the private sector of business.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 am

OK, so the student finance site is seriously messed up.

After having to read through a bunch of legal stuff that says that they can send my information to whomever they please, it refuses to accept my passport expiry date.

So I click the 'help with this page' button. Which is not actually a button, just text and does nothing. So I logout to find the help. But the only page accessible is the login screen. So I try another website, which suggests just logging back in will fix it.

So I try to log in, and the 'server can't be found'. I refresh. Log in again. It just deletes the username without logging in. Try again, nothing. Go back to the login page, I get 'logging you in', immediately followed by 'logging you out'. Perfect.

Finally log in, go back to the personal info page (which has decided to delete all the info I put in earlier). Still won't accept my passport data.

Looks like I won't be going to uni this year afterall...
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 am

*hugs Kelly for job-suckiness*

Your job sounds so much like D's former job (working at a call center for people with Medicare-like insurance plans). Life has been much better since he got laid off, sad as that is to say. I read a headline somewhere about how unemployment can be better for mental health than thankless, stressful jobs and that so, so fits his situation. Seriously, it was hell on earth.

~~~

Things I hate:

Power struggles that I can't cleverly sidestep
Feeling ineffective and questioning my competency and knowing that others are, too.
Fatigue that stimulants can't allay
Having people mad at me for good reason, which I hate slightly more than
Having people mad at me for no good reason.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 am

Good job, Americans. (Not all of you, just these ones.)

I kind of figured any karmic debts were settled when Hiroshima and Nagasaki were destroyed.
Well said EL,

Kinda reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... P-sSeqPywI

even though she turns out to be a troll, this still really pisses me off (see link below...)
http://thedailywh.at/tag/tamtampamela/

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Canned text responses.

Last time I chatted with Comcast over their live chat support, when I set up my account and got my internet service going, I was impressed enough by the fact that the customer support agent talked like a real person, taking a while for longer responses, didn't speak with legaleeze, didn't throw in advertisements other than standard "do you want to get this with your package?" (that's what she said), etc., that I figured it would be my go-to way of getting support, instead of calling, like I usually do.

So when I found there was no easy way to look at my service agreement online, or at least not one I could find, I used their live chat.

Guh. Copy-pasted responses, random advertisements that would appear less than a second after they last posted, assurance that they just needed to get the correct address to view it online followed by a phone number to call. I asked for clarification, "So there's no way to view it online?" and got weird, out-of-place responses, and out-of-place reassurances that they love working with customers like me.

...and I'm still waiting for any definite answer of if I can view my service agreement, aka my contract, online or not.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:01 am

I hate dancing at a party, and a friend go, "c'mon you're not dancing!" "loosen up".
I mean, I already have low dancing self-esteem - and shooting down my attempts to dance as not dancing isn't helping it.

I'm sorry, I can't do any of those moves that you girls do with your hips and butt and such. Or, really, any other moves you girls do. I'm sorry I don't move my hands that much. I'm sorry I can't just get super into the music like you guys magically seem to do. But hey, I bump my head and move my shoulders. Doesn't that count for something?

._.
----guy whos now practicing how to dance by himself
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:11 am

>I'm sorry, I can't do any of those moves that you girls do with your hips and butt and such. Or, really, any other moves you girls do.

>you girls do

>girls

Ur doin it rong.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:33 am

So you say you, really, don't feel like dancing?

Row--row.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:56 am

Wow...

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:07 am

"loosen up"
"Drink more". But I guess you can't do that legally yet?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:29 am

"loosen up"
"Drink more". But I guess you can't do that legally yet?
I mean, alcohol tastes like monkey piss. It's hard for me to force myself to drink a lot of it--enough to get tipsy.

I just need to get comfortable enough dancing crazy-listening to how my body responds and doing whatever.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:26 am

how many monkeys have you been a urinal for? cuz dude, that's some wrong s*** right there, and you have bigger problems than not wanting to dance.

booze does taste bad most of the time. i tend to drink a fuller, tastier beer. they cost more, but they're worth it.

and i don't like to dance at parties or clubs. i've found that i'm good at it to the point of being graceful. but i feel like a complete doof doing it. bump and grind is fun and easy, but unless you have someone to do it with consensually it can be awkward to say the least. slow dancing and polkas are pretty easy and fun, but you don't see those at parties.... ever. that leaves jumping around and looking like you're having a seizure all by yourself. and that makes me feel dumb. so i don't like doing it, so i don't.

no, i get all my dancing enjoyment out of my system when i'm at home, alone, with music on and shades drawn. i'll do a nice soft shoe, or something else enjoyable. but the enjoyment is gone the more people can see.

oh and now and then i'll do the snoopy dance when i'm super happy about something. but it has to be 100% spontaneous.

so you're not alone. and i'm 31, and married. so it really goes to show you that you don't need to dance and look stupid at parties unless you really want to. :)
Ubernaustrum

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:18 am

I've never been good at dancing, so by the time I was in college, I would just be intentionally bad (mowing the lawn, taking a shower, the sprinkler, throwing dice, the robot, climbing a rope, the shopping cart, etc.), which seemed to work out for me at the time.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:23 am

I've never been good at dancing, so by the time I was in college, I would just be intentionally bad (mowing the lawn, taking a shower, the sprinkler, throwing dice, the robot, climbing a rope, the shopping cart, etc.), which seemed to work out for me at the time.
THE ROBOT IS A TIME-HONORED DANCE AND YOU WILL TAKE BACK THAT IMPLICATION, SIR.

Row--row.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:39 am

how many monkeys have you been a urinal for? cuz dude, that's some wrong s*** right there, and you have bigger problems than not wanting to dance.

booze does taste bad most of the time. i tend to drink a fuller, tastier beer. they cost more, but they're worth it.

and i don't like to dance at parties or clubs. i've found that i'm good at it to the point of being graceful. but i feel like a complete doof doing it. bump and grind is fun and easy, but unless you have someone to do it with consensually it can be awkward to say the least. slow dancing and polkas are pretty easy and fun, but you don't see those at parties.... ever. that leaves jumping around and looking like you're having a seizure all by yourself. and that makes me feel dumb. so i don't like doing it, so i don't.

no, i get all my dancing enjoyment out of my system when i'm at home, alone, with music on and shades drawn. i'll do a nice soft shoe, or something else enjoyable. but the enjoyment is gone the more people can see.

oh and now and then i'll do the snoopy dance when i'm super happy about something. but it has to be 100% spontaneous.

so you're not alone. and i'm 31, and married. so it really goes to show you that you don't need to dance and look stupid at parties unless you really want to. :)
I mean, not all people that dance and look stupid - look like that.
They simply look like they're having fun, cutting lose. I admire those people. They might be wasted, but still they look confident.

That's what I want to do.

Which means I need to stop being self-conscious about my dancing- and I'm doing that by dancing in the mirror in my room (like you) lol

I mean, I need to do something in between searching for girls to ask to bump and grind with. :wink:

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Which means I need to stop being self-conscious about my dancing- and I'm doing that by dancing in the mirror in my room (like you) lol
this makes me think of the scene in napoleon dynamite when he's learning to dance in his room.

aaaaand now i'm picturing you as napoleon dynamite.

HAH funny image! :lol:
Ubernaustrum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:48 pm

I mean, alcohol tastes like monkey piss.
That's pretty broad for alcoholic drinks. A lot of hard liquor I think doesn't taste much like anything but a slight burning, if you're doing shots.

And wine coolers, Ice, et al often don't even taste alcoholic.

(Oh, and please drink responsibly, don't turn into an alcoholic, plzkthx :)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 am

I'm woefully inexperienced in the ways of alcohol.

Please suggest to me any alcohol that tastes good, and I'll be sure to push my friends to get it - so I can mooch off them.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 am

It all depends on which broad category catches your interest. I know that for beer, I tend to go to the pub and see what they have on tap that I don't recognise. Often for beer you can ask for a taste first, or a half-pint, if you are uncertain. Getting mixed drinks when out is also a good way to see what bases you like for drinks. My sister buys wine and other things based on how well designed the label is, which has done her surprisingly well.

I say this assuming that you are able to buy alcohol on your own (as I cannot recall your age). Either way, I do find that really is a better method than hoping your friends will have good taste, although they may well. Also, as I am sure you will agree, it isn't worth drinking something that really tastes awful. Sometimes I will taste something that I am not initially keen on, but I can see why another would find it good, and there it is sometimes worth pushing through. But sometimes something really does taste foul and everyone else is drinking it because they have no sense.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm 19. :lol:

Also, I simply don't care enough about getting tipsy, having my inhibitions lowered, and essentially alcohol - to buy it myself.
In that sense, if I'm ever going to drink it, since I don't drink that much, I just mooch off them and they don't care.
In fact, they'd probably pay money to see me drunk...

However, when I do drink, I'm disgusted by the taste, and that just reinforces that I don't care enough about alcohol. It's a circular cycle(repetitiveness ftw).

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm

CezeN, sometimes it's alarming how much you remind me of myself.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”