Dear You 2.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Re: Dear You 2.0

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:49 am

Speaking for myself, I was busy being the walking dead. Or the stumbling alive. I didn't get much sleep going into Tuesday, or Wednesday, or Thursday, and some of that was work, some of it was bladder, and some of it was plain stupidity on my part, but I haven't been fully awake in a little over a week. I'm barely catching up on sleep now and thankfully get to sleep in tomorrow. But yeah, hard to post when you're busy sleeping with your eyes open.
I dunno--stumbling alive posts could be pretty entertaining. Horrible typos, posts in the wrong threads, incoherent ramblings...

Also, awesome pics Noodle! At some point in my life I need to go to a legitimate beach.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:02 pm

I've been on vacation, and then came back from vacation and gave notice at my job. So I've been busy trying to catch up from vacation, and tie up any loose ends before I leave.

If you want proof that I was on vacation, I posted a bunch of pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mitch_j/se ... 076543165/
Any suggestions on where to stay in Myrtle Beach as just a couple, with as few screaming small humans as possible?
-Kim

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Any suggestions on where to stay in Myrtle Beach as just a couple, with as few screaming small humans as possible?
I've only been there the once, and it was during spring break for lots of the country, so there were a fair number of kids present, but we stayed at Springmaid Beach Resort (for part of our trip). It's down on the south end of the beach. As far south as you can go and still be in Myrtle Beach proper. We liked the place, it was a little secluded because the big tall hotels are all more central to the city. So, if you're looking to partake in the party scene, it's not good, but if you want a little bit of privacy, it's a good choice. Springmaid also has it's own pier and as guests of the hotel, you can go on the pier for free. All the other piers charge $1 or $2 to go out, which isn't that much, but if you want to come and go on the pier, having it included is nice.

Another option is to get out of Myrtle Beach proper... We stayed the majority of our trip in Surfside Beach. It's about 10 miles south of Myrtle Beach. Same beach, same touristy area, less crowds.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:39 am

Dear Work,

The weather channel is telling me not to go in today.
What to Do in High Winds

Gusting winds can bring down trees, power lines and signs and turn unsecured objects into dangerous projectiles. Below are tips for staying safe during high wind warnings.

If you are caught outside during high winds:

Take cover next to a building or under a secure shelter.
Stand clear of roadways or train tracks, as a gust may blow you into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
Use handrails where available and avoid elevated areas such as roofs.
My entire walking path -this is outside, so I'd be "caught" in it- to the train, which is on a train track naturally, is alongside the road where unsecured objects may be flying.

I think I should stay in bed all day. It will save my life.

Sincerely,
Alea
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:16 am

Dear You,
I'm a condescending hypocrite? Have you noticed the way you act? The "I'm the queen of the universe" way you expect others to just deal with what you do as if completely wrecking someone's self esteem and confidence and view of their "mates'" attitude towards them can be dismissed with a superior and airy "Get over it". Well contrary to your favourite delusion you are not above anyone else, you aren't at the center of the universe and certainly not at the center of mine and you need to just GET OVER YOURSELF!
I mean FAR - FREAKIN' - OUT! Your superiority complex defies imagination or comprehension.

Thanks, have a nice life. Since you are totally incapable of feeling anything for those you hurt, this should be easy for you.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Dear Gap worker:

Thanks for telling me about the sales! NO THANKS for telling me that I was "looking at the wrong rack, those are all BOY CLOTHES" for my daughter. I appreciate that you were trying to help, but when I told you that: No, my daughter likes these kind of clothes and I'm actually looking for a Batman shirt, the correct reply is "Okay, cool" NOT looking at Ginny and saying "Oh! You like boy clothes?!!? I guess as long as you wear those barrettes in your hair, it's okay!"
Damnit, she likes superhero clothes. Hearing someone call them BOY CLOTHES over and over is frustrating! Can't I just stick my kid in whatever clothes they want without these damn gender segregations?

ARGGH,

*That* Mom.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Jan, that reminds me when we would have male customer come in (we sell female clothing) and joke around about how they would want help finding an outfit. I would never laugh it off as a joke because we did have quite a few male customer come in who wear female clothes and they were always so grateful that we would help them without question.

I always got annoyed when someone would make that joke.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Dear Everyone to Whom This Applies,

Telling someone who has low self-esteem or next to no self-confidence that they need some, or that you don't have that problem (aren't you so great and special!) and they shouldn't either is about as useful as walking up to a known anorexic, telling them they are unhealthy, and advising them to eat something for their own good.

Great job saving the world, one broken person at a time! I salute you.

In fact, I...I think I'm magically cured! I'm SOOOO awesome and fantastic and gorgeous and intelligent and I can do anything. The world is my oyster, hallelujah, god bless!

Love,
The most wonderful person to ever walk the planet! :mrgreen: !!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Dear you,

I got your letter today. The hoops & yoyo drawing was awesome. I knew what it was before I even unfolded the paper, based on the colors. You rock and whenever I send you a plain note and envelope, I feel utterly lacking. Thank you so much!

lots of love,
nom
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 am

Dear You, You, and You,

Thanks for making the day more bearable. You are wonderful.

- Me
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun May 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Dear You,

You remember that one time I sent you a text message saying you are a douchebag for only being my friend when you didn't have a girlfriend? Re-send!

Love,
Me

Dear You,

I may or may not be holding off on sending your long-ish awaited reply because I get my Sharpies back at the end of the month and I want to make pretties on your envelope. Also, I sort of feel a little hollow inside sending blank messages, so it's somewhat of a need, too. However, I will try to work past that OCD urge and get it out sooner. Say, by the end of the week.

Love,
Me

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Dear rest of the crap I own,

Please neatly place yourself in the remaining boxes strewn around my apartment. You're getting a little overwhelming!

Love,
Your owner
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 09, 2012 10:08 am

Dear Nazi Librarians,

Puh-lease take a class or two on how to be courteous and warm to patrons. It could only do good things for your library! Giving me the evil glare for bothering you to check out my items would be slightly more acceptable, though tons more understandable to me, if you had a self-check machine. Since you don't, I'm forced to either go through you or essentially steal my items. I prefer the legal way. So learn to smile, say "Hi" first and maybe even throw in a "How are you?" or something resembling friendly small talk. If I can do it, you can do it.

Your reluctant patron,
Me! (and my character reference)

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu May 10, 2012 10:04 am

Dear You,

Do you have any idea how awesome it is that these songs, while they still--while they'll always--remind me of you, cause me absolutely no pain whatsoever anymore? It is really freaking awesome.

stepped out into the cold, collar high
under the slate grey sky
and the air was smoking
and the streets were dry
and I wasn't joking when I said goodbye

Hell yes,
Kel
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Dear You,

I wrote a little song for you, to the tune of Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

He knows there will be walking
He knows just what it'll take
He'll think I'm trying to murder him
While we're going to the Lake

So I better watch out, I might make him cry
I can't push too hard or he might die

F*uuuuckface is coming to town!

Can you tell I'm terribly excited?

:mrgreen:

Most sincerely,
Me

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 17, 2012 7:31 am

Dear You,

How... How on EARTH did you come up with that?! Those words aren't even close to being on the exam! That's not a translation, that's bloody guessing based on the handful or words you recognised and filling in the rest from your imagination! I don't know how you got that, and I can't even blame myself for teaching you badly because holy carp. What?

- Baffled Latin Teacher
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu May 17, 2012 9:15 am

Dear You,

I wrote a little song for you, to the tune of Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

He knows there will be walking
He knows just what it'll take
He'll think I'm trying to murder him
While we're going to the Lake

So I better watch out, I might make him cry
I can't push too hard or he might die

F*uuuuckface is coming to town!

Can you tell I'm terribly excited?

:mrgreen:

Most sincerely,
Me
As long as you don't try to pin any of those crimes on me we'll get along just fine.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 17, 2012 10:15 am

Dear You,

You, on the other hand, are tripping up on the same bits everyone else is, but you are doing it with style. I commend you.

- Amused Latin Teacher

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 22, 2012 12:13 pm

Dear You,

I'm a bit of a jerk but work and life has been busier/more stressful than I expected...and who am I kidding? I've also been lazier than is strictly necessary but the good news is, if you can call it that, I will be in possession of my Sharpie collection in 4 days' time, so you will get an authentic Aleavelope. (so will you, Steph...I didn't forget I promised you one)

At least I can honestly say I wrote an entire front page worth before I set the letter aside, so I don't completely suck. But...soon, promise. :)

Love,
Me

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue May 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Dear Self,

You kind of really sucked on this membrane's transcription. And it's one of the clearest, too. *facepalm*

-- Older Self

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Dear Yous,

Please do your best to bring out your inner post-whores tomorrow so we can get the last few hundred needed to reach 100K when I'm available to screen capture it. Let's aim for 2PM Central or later.

Thanks!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:30 am

Today is pretty busy, but I will do my best.

And if, for any reason, you are unavailable to capture the moment and I am, I will be sure to do it on your behalf.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 am

Dear You,

I hate you and I think you're an idiot. I resent that you're our only option.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Dear You,

I read your DY before I realized Shannon had posted and I thought that was to me. I was both saddened and overjoyed that someone was saying it out loud. :P I am now both relieved and saddened that wasn't for me.

Love,
Me
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Dear You,

I read your DY before I realized Shannon had posted and I thought that was to me. I was both saddened and overjoyed that someone was saying it out loud. :P I am not both relieved and saddened that wasn't for me.

Love,
Me
Thanks for giving me a wonderful sense of paranoia that that was directed towards me.

Love,
Me

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 pm

Oops. Not what I meant at all. :faceplant:

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:39 am

Dear You,

Thank wasn't a half-bad piece of work. Incredibly surface and more suited to a conference paper than a written piece, but as I recall there was a strict word limit. Nevertheless, you covered most of the salient points and gave me a good springboard. Good job!

- Future Self

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Dear Tara,

The noisy light-up bouncer is here to stay. Get used to it. You meowing loudly won't make it quieter. I sympathize, but can't help.

Mommy of the People-Kitten
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Dear Yous,

A person who may or may not exist, of a numerical nature, requested I say hi and assures you all he is still in fact alive. He also didn't say that last part and wanted you to know he didn't. Or that.

He may need a lawyer, given my misrepresentations of his messages.

Sincerely,
Me!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:59 am

Double-don't-care

Dear Yous,

Lost my cell phone yesterday in a storm/to a storm, so I need phone numbers again. Please text your numbers to me.

Love,
Me

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Wouldn't texting our numbers be a little redundant since texting anything at all would give you the number it came from?

Dear Mother Nature,

I know we're suffering from a pretty severe drought here, but at least ours hasn't spontaneously combusted. So do you think you could send the next batch of rain to Colorado instead? They need it a bit more than we do.

Thanks.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:56 am

Wouldn't texting our numbers be a little redundant since texting anything at all would give you the number it came from?
Well, yes, and all I meant was, "Throw in a 'Hey, it's so-and-so!'" so I knew who the number belonged to. It's pretty great seeing who did text and who hasn't and probably won't. It's pretty much the best "Do you consider us friends still?" test ever. Thankfully I have the ones back that really matter.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:12 am

Well, yes, and all I meant was, "Throw in a 'Hey, it's so-and-so!'" so I knew who the number belonged to. It's pretty great seeing who did text and who hasn't and probably won't. It's pretty much the best "Do you consider us friends still?" test ever. Thankfully I have the ones back that really matter.
It also makes for great puns when you play Settlers of Catan - "GIMME YO' LUMBA" is pretty much the best line ever. ;)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Dear You,

I'm pretty much just ready to give up. Make it worth my while? The more I try the worse I feel and the more annoyed I get.

Me
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:44 am

Dear you,

You need to go see these, cause that's awesome!

- Slightly Jealous

Return to “Milagre Town Square”