Things that I love

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:20 pm

I have successfully convinced my nephews and one niece that a tiger named Hobbes lives in our computer room, that is sandwiched between my room and my mom's room. They told me they heard him scratching the door as they walked by to get to my room and do the "shh" finger when we get close to the door.

"Don't want to wake Hobbes, Auntie."
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Answering vague questions at my job.

There was a girl in today who always asks a million questions. She can be slightly annoying, but I don't mind helping her since she's into the randomest books.

Today's Exchange:

Girl: I'm looking for books about this guy Norman...something... last name starts with an M, maybe? He was black and like, good for black people? I think he was at the World Cup or wanted to go to the World Cup?
Me: *think, think think* Uhmm.... Do you mean Nelson Mandela?
Girl: YES!!
Me: We have books on him.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 am

This may be a little weird but I love that I can blush. Not for appearances' sake, since I can't see myself doing it and don't really give a you know what if other people see me doing it. I love the feeling in my cheeks and I love the accompanying feeling in my chest, like my heart is going to burst (in a good way).

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Funny, I was just talking to someone the other day about how much I hate blushing. That just made me see it in a totally different light, Alea. Thanks.

And you know what I love? I love the way white crayon looks on colored construction paper. And I also love that this week I have instituted a midday mindfulness ritual of coloring on a piece of construction paper, then cutting it into a snowflake. Three so far. It sounds silly, but I think it is actually helping me cut down on my stress level. Because, man, my brain gets noisy and fussy and whiny and freaked out sometimes.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:57 pm

I hate it when you're talking to a customer " AND THEY FART !" my god I just about lost it yesterday, this well dressed stuffy old gal was ordering some custom feed and I was adding up her bill and WOW! did she ever bust one off ! I did my best but it was all I could do not to crack up. Thinking back I should have busted one to make her feel better! :wink:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:13 am

Funny, I was just talking to someone the other day about how much I hate blushing. That just made me see it in a totally different light, Alea. Thanks.
:D

Do you mind my asking what it was you hated about it?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 am

This may be a little weird but I love that I can blush. Not for appearances' sake, since I can't see myself doing it and don't really give a you know what if other people see me doing it. I love the feeling in my cheeks and I love the accompanying feeling in my chest, like my heart is going to burst (in a good way).
This makes me think of the "Can you blush?" scene from Blade II.

The scene doesn't really have anything to do with blushing though. It's just Blade being a badass.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:10 pm

:D

Do you mind my asking what it was you hated about it?
Mostly the fact that it inspires people, and has since I was little, to say, "You're blushing! She's blushing! She's getting redder!" etc. And then, of course, the more you try to make it stop, the more it occurs. And I don't like that. It rather detracts from the experience of the blush, which you described so eloquently.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:08 pm

I love the fact that I can't blush. :wink:

More control over who know what I'm feeling, ya know.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Oh, don't start that crap again; it is okay to emote and doing so doesn't remove a person's ability to control actions potentially fueled or hindered by said emotions. If a person tries to use that knowledge against you, it is still in your control to react or not.

Also, you're just plain missing out. Blushing is fun.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:19 pm

lol

Wait, so hypothetically if I had a child. And went to his soccer game. And he was doing awful, scoring points for the other team accidently, and everyone was booing him. And then, he looks over and sees me blushing at the whole thing, and decides to just up and kill himself for sucking so hard that even his dad is embarassed...

Then showing what I'm thinking is still a good thing. Right? :P

Also, I can't blush because of my skin color. Damn black skin, I'm missing out on all the fun. ;_;( :wink: )

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:51 pm

I can't believe I'm responding to this, as you are clearly being dense or are just flat out an idiot.
Also, I can't blush because of my skin color. Damn black skin, I'm missing out on all the fun.
Beg pardon? It's blood flow. In your face. Just because you can't see it doesn't make it impossible. Maybe some people really don't but it's not an issue of skin color.
Wait, so hypothetically if I had a child. And went to his soccer game. And he was doing awful, scoring points for the other team accidently, and everyone was booing him. And then, he looks over and sees me blushing at the whole thing, and decides to just up and kill himself for sucking so hard that even his dad is embarassed...

Then showing what I'm thinking is still a good thing. Right? :P
I typed out a whole bunch of stuff for this but the short and sweet of it is, kids are hardier than you are giving them credit for, you shouldn't be ashamed of a child so long as they are trying (amused, maybe but not ashamed), and if your first instinct is to get embarrassed rather than protective of them in a situation where people are being openly, vocally hostile, you suck as a parent and I'm embarrassed on your behalf.

Also, please note, I'm not saying being able to control facial expressions is bad in all cases; I wish I were better at it. What I am saying is, and what I am pretty sure I said in the past was, hiding emotions to the degree I imagine you do seems wrong to me. In most situations, you are not as vulnerable or likely to cause damage as you think if you give people a glimpse of how you're feeling.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:05 pm

LOL

On a serious note: When I said I can't blush, I thought it was assumed I meant that no one can see if I blush. Blushing, of course, being the reddening of the face. You take out the noticeable color change, and most people won't consider it a blush, even if the physical changes are still happening in your body.

Also, there's no reason to argue this issue. I hate to generalize, but women seem more relaxed with displaying their emotion, men don't(I mean, just look at the picture thread, Jota and Elfprince agreed with me).
This has to be an argument that's gone on for centuries.
I'm not abnormal in this way.

Assumedly, people on both sides thinks their right. I think "whatever floats your boat".

So, to sum it all up, whatever floats your goat.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey, Goat? What makes you float?

(I really do have a Goat here!)

Wise Goat
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Wise Goat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:30 pm

Probably my fat!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:35 pm

Also, there's no reason to argue this issue. I hate to generalize, but women seem more relaxed with displaying their emotion, men don't(I mean, just look at the picture thread, Jota and Elfprince agreed with me).
This has to be an argument that's gone on for centuries.
I'm not abnormal in this way.
This is due in a very large part to social conditioning. In some past cultures, it was inappropriate and even taboo for women to show emotion, whereas men were given carte blanche and encouraged to be what we today would view as melodramatic. (I don't have references, but I suspect you could still find places today where that's similar.)

In other news, blue used to be the colour for girls and pink was for boys, and the statistical difference in daily word-use between men and women is negligible.

To keep on with the topic of the thread, I love busting gender myths. It's really too bad they're not 'splodey enough for Jamie and Adam...
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:56 pm

(I really do have a Goat here!)
Probably my fat!
@_@
...wtf....

That was really unexpected. Is the goat, you?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:31 pm

@_@
...wtf....

That was really unexpected. Is the goat, you?
First of all, Goat, capital "G," no "the."

Second, not only is that not me, it wasn't even registered this year, so it's not in response to your brilliant summation concerning whatever floats my goat, which is apparently his fat. As far as I'm concerned, that made the whole thing more brilliant and I got a nice laugh. (ETA: I just looked through his posts; if you know enough Pweb history, it is unbelievably obvious who it really is.)

Third, unrelated to the above, I love that I am officially on my three day weekend that is long overdue.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:01 pm

I love the fact that I can't blush. :wink:

More control over who know what I'm feeling, ya know.
:roll:

Dude. You do not have nearly as much control as you think you do. I guaran-damn-tee it.

Secondly. I envy your lack of visible blushing. Goddamn Irish-Norwegian heritage. Part of the problem is that I'm ridiculously pale, neon white, I swear, and the blush is so totally visible.

Although, come to think of it, I haven't gotten teased for blushing in a very long time. Perhaps I've become less embarassable.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Well... except you don't know how much control I think I have. ('-' )

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:53 am

Rocking out to the oldies.

The fact that my all-time favorite radio station from back home now is streaming on the web... finally.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:20 pm

I love -and it's also one of the weird things I miss most about teaching- students' notes to each other. You know, the ones they're not supposed to be writing to their friends in the middle of class. I found one shoved inside a book this morning and have had it in my back pocket ever since.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:26 pm

I love that after my shift today I didn't feel at all weird about hanging around the house for a gab and some tea. I love that I have good co-workers and that some of them may even become actual friends. (I especially love two of them. :)) I love that the vibe of that house is so laid-back and friendly and homey. Because you don't just hang around an extra hour and a half at an office to just hang out. But I can, there. It's great.

And I love Indian music. Not all of it, some is dreadful (like every genre), but there's some really great songs out there. Beautiful, poetic lyrics, fun topics, truly charming and engaging rhythms.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm

For the first time since I took over yard duties (fall 2008), my tree blossomed and it was one of the very first things I saw this morning when I left for work.

Revised stats are in and every minute of exhaustion and frustration over increased workload finally seem justified; numbers are up, way up.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Absolutely loved the Washington weather. We were up there last week for vacation, and I think it's the only spot in the US that isn't scorching hot. (Well, for the locals, it was still pretty warm for them, but to us normal people, it was perrrfect.)
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Ohh, where did you visit in Washington? I've been loving the weather we've been having : )

Anyways, I came in here to say:

I love sneezing!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Highlights Sunday.
Eyebrows today.
Facial tomorrow.
Facial AND massage next Friday.

<3 <3 <3

Pretty hair!!!
Last edited by ValentineNicole on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 pm

My dad had some meetings/conferences in Seattle, and we have family up there, so we decided to go up all together and make it a family trip. For the first half of the week we stayed with family, and the second half we stayed downtown, so it was nice.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:16 pm

More love on the day, which is a shocker, I must say.

I love:
that I got to spend some time with my dad this afternoon sans Voldemort and not only that, he finally initiated it instead of making me go to him.

that a patron waited five minutes for my coworker to be off the Circ desk because they wanted me to help them. It was a simple check-out, even, so it wasn't like they realized I'm a pushover or anything and were trying to get anything out of it. They simply said I was the "nice one" and they'd rather wait to deal with me.

that I have leftovers. I don't care how unauthentic Olive Garden is, their salad and breadsticks are flipping delicious.

that my dad got to see my tree's new flower. I don't care how old I get, I like his approval.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:04 pm

My dad had some meetings/conferences in Seattle, and we have family up there, so we decided to go up all together and make it a family trip. For the first half of the week we stayed with family, and the second half we stayed downtown, so it was nice.
Nice, a good few weeks up here, I think it has only rained once. :P

Loves:
Wine tasting, state parks, road trips, the pacific coast, arguing football with my mother, Washington in the summer, the Cascades, understanding he & I weren't meant to be

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:04 pm

MUSICAL BUFFY!!!!

"Let me rest in peace"

Edit:
And they KISS! My Buffy viewing experience is complete. Nothing will top this one.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:05 pm

MUSICAL BUFFY!!!!

"Let me rest in peace"

Edit:
And they KISS! My Buffy viewing experience is complete. Nothing will top this one.
I have seen this episode approximately 50 times, no exaggeration. I can watch it in my head when I'm bored.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 pm

MUSICAL BUFFY!!!!

"Let me rest in peace"

Edit:
I have seen this episode approximately 50 times, no exaggeration. I can watch it in my head when I'm bored.
It's officially the first episode that I finished and then replayed instantly. It's made my night, hehe.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:39 pm

I just got to that episode today! After hearing so much about it from my various Buffy-obsessed friends, I'm surprised it's living up to the hype.

It is great.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 pm

I just got to that episode today! After hearing so much about it from my various Buffy-obsessed friends, I'm surprised it's living up to the hype.

It is great.
We're Buffy twins again!! :D

Return to “Milagre Town Square”