G. K. Chesterton: Where do I start?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

G. K. Chesterton: Where do I start?

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:46 am

Caspian, I believe this is your topic.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:31 pm

Most people would start by providing a link or summary or something so we know what the stck you're talking about.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:34 pm

All I know is that Neil Gaiman refers to him constantly.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:37 pm

I was talking to Caspian, and he'll know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm hoping Jan will get his attention when she sees this. I don't think he checks pweb often enough to notice a PM.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:13 am

Pleased to be of service.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:54 am

Doesn't this belong in the book section? Or is that the place where new topics have to be started by a bookish mod?

Anyway, Chesterton is long enough ago that pretty much everything he wrote, in its original editions anyway, is out of copyright, and well enough known that most or all of it is in the form of e-books free from the web. With that in mind, you can start with one and if you don't care for it, quickly switch to a different one and haven't lost much.

http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/index.html
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:01 am

I started reading Orthodoxy this morning.

I wish to heaven he were alive today. Not so much to hear what he'd say about contemporary religion as to hear what he'd have to say about contemporary psychology. I keep wondering what hash he'd make of Cognitive-Behavior therapy, not to mention Thomas Szasz and The Myth of Mental Illness. People today not only deny hell, but also Hanwell, I'm afraid.

So far, very enjoyable read.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:40 am

I'm ordering "The Collected Works" - Orthodoxy, Heretics, and the Blatchford Controversies. It should get here just in time for me to actually have reading time.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:50 pm

Hooray!
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Sadly, my poverty delays me. But I have a birthday coming up!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:21 pm

I've started reading, and I'm really enjoying it. He has the same voice as Lewis - a voice I simply love to read, no matter what it's saying. Also, I laughed aloud at the "poached egg" bit at the end of the chapter "Maniacs." I had no idea Lewis borrowed the phrasing!

Anyway, I'm not far in, but it's very interesting so far. Zona, I get the impression that you'd be interested in Heretics as well, since it seems to be his reply to the pop philosophy and psychology of his day.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:35 am

Zona, I'm finding that I really wish he were around today. I'd love to see what he would say.

Reading, I find myself out of breath. For some reason, the voice I hear is speaking just a little too quickly, as if the thoughts are coming too fast for the mouth. It's not a sense of urgency, it's a sense of passion and excitement. It's very odd, I've never felt dragged along the rushing stream of words like this before.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:45 pm

Well, I got sidelined a long while back on Orthodoxy, but I picked up "Favourite Father Brown Stories," and I loved them. It took a little while to get used to the constant presence of "Flambeau," who was never the same person. I suppose that was a convention of the time. Great little stories that require a surprising amount of brain.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”