Ethical Dilemma

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

What should I do?

Tell the manager
30%
Start making myself free goods
10%
Do nothing like I have been doing
60%

Total votes: 10

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Ethical Dilemma

Postby hive_king » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Alright, I have an ethical question for pwebbers:

I started working at Jamba Juice a few months ago. for those of you who don't have them where you live, its a store that makes and sells fruit smoothies and other healthy food. Well I've noticed that a few employees, including shift leaders, when the manager isn't around, will freely make themselves smoothies or other things that I know is against the rules. (We're allowed a free smoothie every shift, but that's it.) Now I haven't really said or done anything, but as I see it there are three options on what I could do. Do you think I should mention it to my manager, start partaking in the fruitful harvest myself, or just not do anything at all either way like I have been so far, figuring that while they can risk their jobs, I'll play it safe.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Missing option: say something to the people doing it.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:43 pm

so not only do they keep on doing it regardless (or perhaps just when i'm not around), I've alienated myself from my coworkers in a job i'm at way too often.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:29 am

Being the new guy, i really wouldn't do anything, for the reason you said: playing it safe. If you tell the manager, if he doesn't do anything about it, or even if he does, but your coworkers don't end up fired, which is likely, then your coworkers will give you a hard time. If you start doing it yourself, then your job might be on risk (specially being new).

If the manager is competent, then he should notice the pilfering... it is his job to realize that. And it is his job to decide if it is serious enough to take action.

A different matter would be if you were a senior worker, or shift leader... then yes, you would be kind of responsible for the newer guys. But still, the responsability would lay on the manager, not on you.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:54 pm

What jota said, play it kool and the gang.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:58 pm

so not only do they keep on doing it regardless (or perhaps just when i'm not around), I've alienated myself from my coworkers in a job i'm at way too often.
Not if you have sufficient charm :D . And really, I don't see the more ethical decisions here being popular.

With that said, I probably just wouldn't do anything, unless I thought they were causing significant damage, which I can't really imagine being true.

Or, if you're more the "take on additional suffering when it's not your problem" type, you could stop taking anything free yourself to try and compensate. Or hey, just start putting money in the register! It's not like you need it, and Jamba Juice is crumbling under the economic problems of employee embezzlement.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Scott
Launchie
Launchie

tell manager

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:53 pm

I would probably join in for the free smoothies myself, but I am a bad person.

The way I see it, doing nothing at all is a lesser form of making with some free goods.

I voted tell the manager because you seem like an ethical guy. I would approach the manager and simply ask if you could help yourself to extra smoothies, do so in a joking manner. Then gauge his reply, if he gives an OK, then help yourself. If he gives the HELL NO vibe, then ask what would happen if an employee did that, but don't rat your co-workers.

All this is probably moot since you asked this back in March, but give us an update on what happened.
Live every week like it's SHARK WEEK

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:58 pm

I voted do nothing. That way you don't violate any trust that people have put in you.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”