Wedding Etiquette

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Would you care if your friend skipped the ceremony?

Hell no, just gimme da gifts!!!
13%
No (less sarcastic version of first choice)
17%
Yes
70%

Total votes: 23

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Wedding Etiquette

Postby Hegemon » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:14 pm

More and more people I know seem to be getting to the point in their lives when they are willing to take the plunge and get hitched. I am known for loving weddings, mainly because I so love open bars and parties. However, I am not nuts about actual wedding ceremonies. They are long and rather boring. In the past I have been known for sneaking out of them to get snacks (once I even got some pizza).

My natural inclination is to skip the ceremony altogether and just show up for the party, which is what I did in the past or a baptism. What I want to know is if that sorta thing would bother you if a friend did it at your wedding? For the purposes of this question, assume the friend is not part of the wedding party *so not the best man or something*

Edit: I would like it if those of you said no post and say why it wouldn't bother you. I single you guys out because I am in the no category so I already pretty much see where they're coming from.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:18 pm

You want to come to a party that I'm paying for, you come to the ceremony. I promise it won't be longer than an hour or so. :)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:31 pm

well, it depends entirely.

ideally, i'll have a ceremony, and in that case, yes, i'd prefer to have my guests present for that as well as the reception.

a girlfriend of mine from college got married and i couldn't attened both the ceremony and the reception due to totally unrelated issues. so i chose to attend the ceremony instead, and skipped the reception (the bride, of course, was told).

but there is (i should say was) a chance i would wind up eloping, and in that case, of course, come to the party, as many people won't really be there for the ceremony in the first place.

it's just not classy, really. unless you're specifically told otherwise by the happy couple, i'd say you shold attend both.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:33 pm

We eloped, and there were only three people who could come to the courthouse with us, so we met them all at golden corral afterwards.. heh. Great wedding party, I know, but for us, it worked. We didn't mind. Of course, the total was like 10 people or something, so it wasn't that big of a deal. If the person knows you, and knows you get weird in the ceremony, then, it's probably okay. If you're just doing it to get the free food and hit on the girls, then, by all means, go to the ceremony first.
That's my point of view. It really would depend on your relationship with the friend.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:43 pm

It really depends on how close of a friend they are. There are some friends I will absolutly have to have at the ceremony if I ever get married.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:49 pm

I realize this is gonna sound overly sentimental, but to me the whole point of a wedding is to invite the people in your life to share in it, to walk through this whole thing with you. I don't want anything in my ceremony that isn't a total expression of my spouse to be and I, our relationship, our lives together... and I want the people in my life to be able to see that and be a part of that and celebrate that with me. Quite honestly, it would seem completely half-assed and insincere to me if after I had spent months planning the thing you didn't show up just because you couldn't sit still for an hour.

...there goes John's invitation. :P

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:52 pm

...there goes John's invitation. :P
Have you ever seen Wedding Crashers? :P

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Virlomi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:54 pm

Lol... therefore I know all the tricks in the book, and I'll be ready for you.

I'll even keep the bar in lockdown mode.

...or you could just come to the blasted ceremony.
Last edited by Virlomi on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:55 pm

seriously, though. EVERYONE is getting married. i got asked to be a back up (in case of emergency?) bridesmaid today.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:55 pm

YAHOO!!! RECEPTIONS IN DA HOUSE!!!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:56 pm

i think she meant blasted ceremony.

you did, didn't you Jani?
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Virlomi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:57 pm

I almost threw in a badly timed "oops I forgot to tell you I'm getting married too" joke... but I thought the better of it.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:58 pm

I almost threw in a badly timed "oops I forgot to tell you I'm getting married too" joke... but I thought the better of it.
Well... I did that on AIM.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Virlomi » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:00 pm

And uh... yeah, I did.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:03 pm

i forbid there to be any more marriages or engagements on pweb until my own. that gives you all a good five year dry spell, minimum. get used to it, kids.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:21 pm

That's it John, you're reading a poem at my wedding. A long and sentemental one.

I think the point of the ceremony is that you care enough about the bride and/or groom to sit through hours of boring speeches and what-not. It's a "misery loves company" thing.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:10 am

Yes. I would be offended. If you're my friend, and I invite you, you're coming to the whole damn thing.

Exceptions would be for people with small children (I understand that it can be hard for a three year old to sit still for that long) and people who can, for some reason, only come to the reception.
Last edited by anonshadow on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:17 am

I expect the people I invite to come to both the ceremony and the reception.

I don't think I'll change my mind on that.

But it doesn't really matter because I've still got like... 5 years before it's really a possibility. (Stupid school.)
-Kim

Firegirl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Firegirl » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Over the years, I gotten to the point where I can't stand weddings at least the weddings that are non-unique and take way too long. I went to many of my cousins' weddings, sure they were nice, but I have a lot of cousins and I get bored with so much sappy sentiments floating around and bad dancing. I actually thought that a funeral would break the monotony. So I have not attended a wedding in 2 or 3 years, but then again it's only a temporary cessation of familiar responsibility, sooner or later more family or friends will get hitched. :roll: :lol:
You feed the original flame that burns inside of you, because you know that is the only way you will get to live the life that is meant to be yours. Siv Cederling

"I've got sunspots where my heart used to be"

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:48 pm

Mormon weddings are different. Weddings are fairly simple cerimonies with only a few people. I haven't been to one, but I've seen the room sealings are done in, and they are really small. It's the wedding reception afterwords that everyone comes to.

So, no, it wouldn't bother me, but only because for me that's what's normal.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:13 pm

it's just not classy, really. unless you're specifically told otherwise by the happy couple, i'd say you shold attend both.
This says it all, as far as I'm concerned. It's poor taste to skip the ceremony and just come for the party unless you have a very good reason for missing the ceremony (and that reason would not include "I find it boring." :P)
Exceptions would be for people with small children (I understand that it can be hard for a three year old to sit still for that long) and people who can, for some reason, only come to the reception.
We took care of this problem at our wedding by arranging for several teenagers of appropriate age to babysit onsite for those children who would not be able to sit through the wedding ceremony. It worked out well.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:33 pm

I would honestly be rather offended if you skipped the ceremony because you didn't feel like going or couldn't make the effort to at least TRY to arrange it so you could be there (extenuating circumstances being obviously excepted). To me, the ceremony is the important bit. That is the part where you create the reason to have a party. Without the ceremony there is no party, so it makes sense to me that if you want to go to the party, it would be better to see the moment for which we are having a party.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:45 pm

I think John should get ordained and marry everyone. .

I seriously can't stop giggling when I think about this.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Now i am beginning to wonder who the one other person who voted no is.

I know that being bored with the thing is not the best excuse, but what about the fact that I can sleep in? That, plus the boredom, should do it.

Firegirl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Firegirl » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:52 pm

If I ever got married, I would not mind if the people, who I had to invite from mere obligation and really did not care for, did not show up. However if the person is a friend or family member who I care does not show up and does not have a good reason, I would be pissed off/irritated to no end.
You feed the original flame that burns inside of you, because you know that is the only way you will get to live the life that is meant to be yours. Siv Cederling

"I've got sunspots where my heart used to be"

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:59 pm

I know that being bored with the thing is not the best excuse, but what about the fact that I can sleep in? That, plus the boredom, should do it.
I really depends on how close you are to the bride or groom. If they're good friends, then go.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:58 pm

TJ, if you are going to party, then sit through an hour and oogle he bridesmaids or something. Don't skip the ceremony, you oaf.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:14 pm

I'm not sure.
I can see why you'd think a wedding is boring, but on the other hand, if you're just going to the wedding reception for the open bar and not because you're particularly friends with the couple and want to see them get married, then you're a mooch.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Wedding Etiquette

Postby zeroguy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 pm

Edit: I would like it if those of you said no post and say why it wouldn't bother you. I single you guys out because I am in the no category so I already pretty much see where they're coming from.
For some reason I think I'd prefer a smaller ceremony, and wouldn't want all that many people there, anyway. But then again, I don't really care, so it probably won't end up being my decision, and so I wouldn't really care who is there or not. But I'm also thinking of something that's probably not happening for a while, so I might be a different person then, who knows.

I actually don't mind sitting through the ceremonies I've been to; I do find them interesting. But hey, if you're a friend of mine, I'm not going to force you through something that's boring, even if it's, well, my life.

And it's probably better that you'd leave instead of falling asleep and snoring during the wedding vows, or something.

Edit: If you offend my wife, though, you in a heap o' trouble, boy. (And apparently all women are offended by this, by the looks of the thread.)
Last edited by zeroguy on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:51 pm

I'm not sure.
I can see why you'd think a wedding is boring, but on the other hand, if you're just going to the wedding reception for the open bar and not because you're particularly friends with the couple and want to see them get married, then you're a mooch.
Actually, I also go for the party in general. I like celebrating the marriage with them.

The other thing is that I always make it a point to budget out my gift so that the bride and groom make a profit off of my presence (I am nice that way).

that and i am a mooch

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Firegirl, I can off a cousin or two if you want.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:07 am

Damnit, John, you can't skip the ceremony, you're the flower girl! The whole thing would be in ruin if you were a no-show.
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:12 am

The other thing is that I always make it a point to budget out my gift so that the bride and groom make a profit off of my presence (I am nice that way).
i'd rather you show up for both and forget the gift all together. but that's just me.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:58 am

I am inclined to say no...

For the simple reason that you could probably show up at the reception, tell the bride and groom how lovely the ceremony was and they would be under the impression that you attended unless they were told otherwise...so, unless I was in the wedding party or being dragged to the thing as a guest...then I would say no...the ceremony is out...

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:03 pm

Our ceremony was for our families and more an obligation than an event. Now, the reception, that was the event. I would not have minded if a good friend who was invited said they weren't really that into weddings but would come to the reception. Heck, it's not like I interacted with anyone not in the wedding party during the ceremony.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”