Those Personal Triumphs No One Else Will Ever Understand

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Those Personal Triumphs No One Else Will Ever Understand

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 pm

The power was out for an hour (I didn't know how long it would be at the time), so I used the crank flashlight I have to light the room while I put my new bed together. Now my grandma and mom will get a bed and zero and I will get a bed. :mrgreen:
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Good day for PWebbies on io9. Ender's Ansible was the main reference for the Morning Spoiler's section on Ender's Game, and my comment on an article about self-assembling nanostructures was "recommended" by the author of the article.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:21 pm

95% on geo test :D
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun May 05, 2013 7:39 am

After like 13 hours, I finally completed my Anthology of Black Diversity for my poetry class! But its both a triumph for how long it took and how much I thoroughly enjoyed doing it. Never thought I'd analyze the Cool epic as part of a school assignment.

Turning this into a brief vent now: Now I gotta finish my Psych Experiment write up for Monday. Complete my Evolution of Acquired Behavior test as soon as possible Monday(and then polish up my Poetry Anthology and Psych paper and turn them in by 5.), so I can go ask my professor Astronomy questions and get help for my Astronomy Cumulative Final that makes or breaks my Astronomy grade... The final is 8:30 Tuesday morning. The college struggle.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

DrTicklesMD
Launchie
Launchie

Postby DrTicklesMD » Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 pm

I'm Finally out of bronze tier!! (League of legends)

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Welome to pweb DrTickles :grouphug: :hatsoff: :thumbs: :stoned:
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

DrTicklesMD
Launchie
Launchie

Postby DrTicklesMD » Tue May 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks :) It's my 2nd account, i was gonna revive it but then i couldn't be bothered, been on and off this site since I was 14, just watched the trailer for Enders game, thought i'd check back here to see how hyped you guys were.

YOU KEEP SUCKING ME BACK IN SOMEHOW! :p

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks :) It's my 2nd account, i was gonna revive it but then i couldn't be bothered, been on and off this site since I was 14, just watched the trailer for Enders game, thought i'd check back here to see how hyped you guys were.

YOU KEEP SUCKING ME BACK IN SOMEHOW! :p

yay! :) welcome back.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 am

Welcome back, Tickles. Who were you before, if you don't mind me asking?
The enemy's fly is down.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sun May 12, 2013 12:39 am

4 performances in 37 hours :D

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 pm

I married my best friend five years ago.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue May 14, 2013 7:14 am

:thumbs:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Tue May 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Congrats dude!

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 pm

99.25% score at our festival on Sat :D

DrTicklesMD
Launchie
Launchie

Postby DrTicklesMD » Thu May 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Welcome back, Tickles. Who were you before, if you don't mind me asking?

I think it was something like '3nder'.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Although Reason has cited my work a half-dozen times, it's nice to know that a simple tweet will get my name on their blog.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Although Reason has cited my work a half-dozen times, it's nice to know that a simple tweet will get my name on their blog.

oooh, linky?

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon May 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Last week, I ordered 40 previous LSATs to study over the course of this summer for the October LSAT. They should be coming in a couple days.
This summer I plan on studying the hardest I've ever studied my entire life--2 LSATS a week, taken under constraints similar to the actual test(Starting at 8:30, 3 hour 30 minutes with 10 minute break in the middle). Thoroughly going over every missed question and understanding what I did wrong. Reviewing the harder missed questions at the end of the week. The whole thing will be in exercise in self-discipline. Mental endurance. It's like grinding in Kingdom Hearts till you have high enough stats to defeat Sephiroth.

I will settle for nothing less than a 170. Simply starting this plan is a triumph in and of itself for me. Succeeding will mean more to me for various reasons than is discernible from the fact that it decides how extensive my choices will be for my future. This is like Kvothe studying the Lethani/Ketan, surviving the sword tree, and then actually defeating Carceret. Ender beating the Giant's Drink. I make it all seem more exciting by comparing myself to fictional characters in my head.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue May 21, 2013 9:24 am

Thoroughly going over every missed question and understanding what I did wrong.
Don't forget to go over the questions you got right, too, to make sure you understand what you did correctly. After all, you might get an answer right by luck, rather than by knowing how to answer the question.
I will settle for nothing less than a 170.
You can do it!

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Wed May 22, 2013 7:40 am

I don't think I've ever said this on PWEB, but I teach LSAT classes so uh...if you have any questions!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed May 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Thoroughly going over every missed question and understanding what I did wrong.
Don't forget to go over the questions you got right, too, to make sure you understand what you did correctly. After all, you might get an answer right by luck, rather than by knowing how to answer the question.
I will settle for nothing less than a 170.
You can do it!
Thank you Syphon :)
I don't think I've ever said this on PWEB, but I teach LSAT classes so uh...if you have any questions!
Oh wow, I'm lucky to have you here. Thanks for the offer!

I probably won't have many questions, however here's a problem that I looked at for 20 minutes shaking my head, can you solve it? (this is from a prep book, not a previous lsat question):
A zoomaster is deciding which birds and mammals will go in five consecutive cages, numbered 1 through 5, left to right. Each cage will contain one of three species of birds--egret, finch, or parrot--and one of three species of mammals--antelope, giraffe, or otter. The zoomaster must abide by the following conditions:

If finches are in a given cage, antelopes must also be placed in that cage. If otters are in a given cage, egrets cannot be in that same cage. In at least one cage, parrots and antelopes are together. Parrots are never in consecutively numbered cages. If egrets and finches are both exhibited, the egrets must always be in lower-numbered cages than the finches. The second cage contains otters.

6. If finches are exhibited exactly twice, it is possible to determine the types of mammals and birds for how many of the 10 slots?
A. 7
B. 6
C. 5
D. 4
E. 3
EDIT: I've figured out why my reasoning was incorrect.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed May 22, 2013 6:57 pm

I get seven.

The otter in 2, two sets of finch/antelope and the parrot/antelope pairing. Though, the otter is the only one you have an exact position for.
The enemy's fly is down.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed May 22, 2013 7:23 pm

I get seven.

The otter in 2, two sets of finch/antelope and the parrot/antelope pairing. Though, the otter is the only one you have an exact position for.
Yeah, I misinterpreted the question in terms of thinking about which specific animals I know get a slot out of 10(9) instead of how many slots there are where I know which animal specifically fills them(7). As in, I thought of the aggregate total of animals I know filling the 10 slots.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed May 22, 2013 9:59 pm

The possible answers sound bogus to me.

You know that otters (1) are in one cage. You know that otters cannot be in the same cage as egrets. You also know that finches can only be in cages with antelopes. That leaves only parrots (2) that can go with the otters. You know that you have two sets of finches (3-4), which must be in cages with antelopes (5-6). You also know at least one cage has parrots (7) and antelopes (8).

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed May 22, 2013 11:28 pm

The possible answers sound bogus to me.

You know that otters (1) are in one cage. You know that otters cannot be in the same cage as egrets. You also know that finches can only be in cages with antelopes. That leaves only parrots (2) that can go with the otters. You know that you have two sets of finches (3-4), which must be in cages with antelopes (5-6). You also know at least one cage has parrots (7) and antelopes (8).
Yeah, that's how I initially thought of it... which had me shaking my head for 20 minutes. I assumed it was 7 since it was the closest, but I thought maybe they'd made a mistake or meant us to count the animals other than the Finches for an unjustifiable reason. You only get the correct answer if you think of it in terms of each cage.

So Cage 2 is Parrots and Otters--- (1...2).
There are two Finches. Cage 1 cannot have a Parrot because Parrots can't be in cages next to each other, so its either Egrets or Finches. Since Parrots can't be in cages next to each other, there will always be only two Parrots out of 5 cages. And since there are exactly two Finches, that means there's One Egret somewhere in order to get the total of 5 birds overall.

If there's one Egret, then a rule dictates it must be in a lower numbered cage than the two Finches, so it must be in Cage 1.(3....)

Cage 3 can have neither a Parrot(since cage 2 had one) or an Egret(since the Finches have to be ahead of the Egrets, but there's a Parrot/Antelope combo in either Cage 4 or 5 as dictated by the rules. And there's a Finches/Antelopes combo in either 4 or 5 also). So we know for sure that Cage 3 has one of the Finches and then an Antelope as well. (4....5).

Cage 4 and 5 can switch between the combinations Parrots and Antelopes OR Finches and Antelopes in either of them. In either one, there is an Antelope. (6....7) However, we don't know which one has the Parrot and which one has the Finch, so we apparently can't count them.

7 total

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 am

Oh, I understand their justification. I just think it's a poorly worded question. SO GLAD that when I took the LSAT, the logic games (one of my best sections) were not designed like that.

I would have done much worse, if they had been worded that way. I would have thought your answer of 9 was more appropriate. (I counted eight at first glance, but forgot about the egrets!

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Fri May 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Oh man I love logic games! Thanks for posting, Cezen. I see where you're coming from about the "how many of the 10 slots" ambiguity, but 99% of the time, real LSAT questions will be worded carefully so that there shouldn't be confusion like that...I've done way too many LSAT questions, and there are definitely some poorly worded ones, but they're few and far between. That's one of the risks of doing the fake questions I guess. Have you done all of the real ones already, or are you saving those?

This is what I got...this is what you got too, right? I'm a little rusty haha (haven't taught a class since I started law school), but this is good for me...working an unpaid job this summer so I hope to do some tutoring so that I don't become homeless.

1 2 3 4 5
e p f _ _
_ o a a a

And to put these thread semi-back on track....handed in my journal applications OFFICIALLY DONE WITH 1L!!! :D :D :D though as these last few posts indicate, thats actually a personal triumph that some of you can or will be soon able to understand, haha.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri May 24, 2013 2:53 pm

And to put these thread semi-back on track....handed in my journal applications OFFICIALLY DONE WITH 1L!!! :D :D :D though as these last few posts indicate, thats actually a personal triumph that some of you can or will be soon able to understand, haha.
Congratulations! Law journal can be a lot of work, but is so totally worth it.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Fri May 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Congratulations! Law journal can be a lot of work, but is so totally worth it.
Glad to hear you think so!! I'm doing a clinic next semester so I'm taking fewer classes, and hopefully it will mean I'll have more flexibility with my schedule. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch though, might not get accepted to a journal...

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Oh man I love logic games! Thanks for posting, Cezen. I see where you're coming from about the "how many of the 10 slots" ambiguity, but 99% of the time, real LSAT questions will be worded carefully so that there shouldn't be confusion like that...I've done way too many LSAT questions, and there are definitely some poorly worded ones, but they're few and far between. That's one of the risks of doing the fake questions I guess. Have you done all of the real ones already, or are you saving those?

This is what I got...this is what you got too, right? I'm a little rusty haha (haven't taught a class since I started law school), but this is good for me...working an unpaid job this summer so I hope to do some tutoring so that I don't become homeless.

1 2 3 4 5
e p f _ _
_ o a a a

of the
That's good to know. And yeah, that's the correct answer but not the original way I did it. I did my first previous lsat practice test yesterday(I ordered 40). Got a 154.

Games ended up dominating me(significantly lower than the other sections), as was expected. And I didn't have timing down, so I didn't get to 1 page in each section(just filled in C). Not worried about any other section since I'm sure I'll get faster and my timing will get better the more I do...

but as an LSAT instructor with experience guiding people, how would you suggest I go about learning the Games section other than simply doing as many problems as I can?
Right now, I just know I need to work on my diagramming and representations of the rules.

Congratulations on surviving your first year, btw!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:36 am

I start work today!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I start work today!
YAY! :dance: :frolic: :dance: Happy dances!

I hope I get to say that soon too *crosses fingers for an interview*

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 am

Just applied for four jobs that I would actually like and be good at! Typing/transcribing from home. Not sure if I'll hear anything but I feel good for having tried.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:43 pm

nice Luet good luck!! And like you and thoughtreader I'm on the job hunt as well.

day 2 of 3 interview 2 of 3 (one a day) in about 1hr...long drive but tomorrow is the one I want. This ones if its not commission *fingers crossed*
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 am

I was complimented for writing a concise report.

That has never. Ever. Ever. happened before. I am WORDY when I write. Any professor or supervisor of mine will be glad to tell you. It's so weird to be complimented on that, I'm struggling not to turn it into a criticism.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Return to “Milagre Town Square”