Those Personal Triumphs No One Else Will Ever Understand

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Fri May 30, 2008 11:04 pm

I GOT PROMOTED!! Hell yeah!!!!!!!

^_^

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sat May 31, 2008 9:02 am

I called.

Edit:

And congrats on the promotion!!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:15 pm

I got the darn application out on time and, most importantly, complete despite a hard drive crash and a letter writer not coming through for me.

All in all, the package had 28 sheets of application, essays and a written statement plus my transcripts and 9 letters. :) Yay, and all that.

Congrats on the promotion, Erica. :D
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:43 pm

I finished my conference paper a whole day early.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:49 am

I was flipping through all the emmy screeners floating around the office and came across the A&E packet. And what do you know, but I open it and the first disc to pop out at me is INTERVENTION! Not only that but the episode selected for 'consideration' is the Caylee episode that I think was my first on screen credit as an AE ever, but it was certainly the first show I ever got credit on. That was awesome, I was a bit embarassed how excited I was. :)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:17 pm

I found out Kralor's name is Matt Drake. It's completely useless information that nobody cares about, I'm sure (except maybe Kralor), but I'd been wondering about it for years. And it took some nontrivial searching to find it. Yay.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:37 am

W: In three months I'll not be a teenager anymore!
K: I'll be seventeen soon. I think I get a better deal.
W: And, no, I disagree. Being 17 is not better than being 20.
K: I think you once told me it was a pretty good year...

W: I've since come to terms with being older.
W: Though, you know, it was a decent year.
W: 20 > 17 though.
W: Not only is it a bigger number, it's a round number. And it has a zero.
W: Zero's start with Z, and Z's are sweet. Because Z's mean you're asleep. And I like being asleep.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Today was a pretty good day.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Got my first job. Ever.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:17 pm

I think pretty much everyone else can understand that...

I was told that I was "losing [my] form." After working at it for at least two years, I had better be "losing" it. I hope it stays gone!!!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:37 pm

I wrote a Dear You instead of emailing my beloved advisor, with whom I still have to work very closely, right off the cuff about the insane, asinine, irresponsible behavior of our department with regards to student insurance.

Although, I will find some way of addressing this. I will. I am owed an apology, at the very minimum.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:42 pm

The department secretary said that the person in the lock shop who called her said, "We have the keys, so tell her not to cry." To which the secretary replied, "Oh, she won't cry. I have some students who would cry, but not her."

Damn, this makes me pleased. I am not a department drama queen. Hallelujah.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:55 pm

while this is one most everyone will understand, it's still a triumph

I got a 20% raise today.

And all I said was, (after taking a night/weekend gig on America's Got Talent) was, since I'll be driving up to Burbank everyday could a get a small bump in pay to help cover gas. thirty seconds later he came back with 20% I'd have been happy with 10 and probably would have settled for 5-7.5. Thank goodness I didn't say the number I had in mind but let my boss fill it in.

and, err, I think that makes my base salary more than my dad's base salary, of course he's on comission and still makes another 20% over what I make but still. It is double what my mom makes, but teachers are always paid s***. The raise she gets for an entire year is what I will earn in five weeks at my new rate. sort of surreal

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:08 pm

I just had my first job interview ever. And I think it actually went alright....

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Yay! First job interviews are a big milestone.
And trust me, that feeling of "oh-holy-crap-I-don't-know-the-answer-to-that-even-though-I-should" never really goes away.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:47 am

I beat my dad in our run this morning, the very one who has been running for at least 35 years (including a marathon in there) and prides himself on being the consummate Marine.

I was made of awesome. 8)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:50 am

Today, I essentially f***** the system. Though in a minor way.

Have you ever went shopping for groceries, and when you were done the cashier asks you, in that same monotonic, boring voice, "Do you have any smaller change?". Well, that happened to me last week one time too many.

So today, I went into the grocery store bearing no money EXCEPT quarters, nickles and dimes. I bought 22.05$ worth of stuff, and I took extra time to select each coin and add it into the pile that was forming on the cashier's desk, with a line of 3-5 people forming behind me.

Sometimes, I love making people annoyed =)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:59 am

What part of the system did you get on up on, aside from an underpaid drudge with no more power than you? When they ask you for change, it's usually because some manager forgot to give them an adequate float - it's not like they ask you for smaller change for the lulz. When you're an ass to the cashier, that's all you are - an ass. When you treat drudge workers with a bit of humanity, however, it's amazing how much better you yourself get treated.

I work a till part-time right now, and if you came into my shop and tried to pull a stunt like that, I would tell you to get lost.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:21 am

Hey, at least he's using the thread for it's purpose. That really is a triumph that no one else can understand.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:29 am

Today, I essentially f***** the system. Though in a minor way.

Have you ever went shopping for groceries, and when you were done the cashier asks you, in that same monotonic, boring voice, "Do you have any smaller change?". Well, that happened to me last week one time too many.

So today, I went into the grocery store bearing no money EXCEPT quarters, nickles and dimes. I bought 22.05$ worth of stuff, and I took extra time to select each coin and add it into the pile that was forming on the cashier's desk, with a line of 3-5 people forming behind me.

Sometimes, I love making people annoyed =)
Yup, definitely a triumph I cannot understand.

I miss my old Pweb 2.0 seven-eleven clerk thread. There were a lot of quotes in it I would apply to you.

I would've either handed you a bunch of coin rolls and told you to get busy, or simply refused the sale (which we had the right to do). Apparently you were lucky enough to run into a sales clerk who either had the patience of Job or who was singularly inexperienced with dealing with assholes. Either way, my sympathies in this story go far more to the cashier (and customers in line) than you.

Could not agree more with Ali.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Pfft. What typically female responses. (Pretend it's Thursday; I don't want to have to stay up for another hour.)

dgf hhw

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 pm

I am supreme over nature.
The Grouse Grind Trail is located in North Vancouver, B.C., at the base of the Grouse Mountain Resort ski area. It is an extremely steep and mountainous trail that begins at the 300-metre-elevation and climbs to 1,100 metres over a distance of approximately 2.9 kilometres.
Me, That. Done.

My. Feet. Hurt.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:40 pm

Even though this is not due to anything on MY part, I still consider it a triumph of spirit: in two months they will be living in a different country from me and I won't have to worry about seeing them for at least a couple years. Yay!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:50 pm

Sounds like a victory to me, Nomi!

Tonight, I did laundry. Not only did I actually put it all away, I ended with all the socks I started with!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Today I made one of the few people I highly respect laugh. (Intentionally.) I seriously couldn't do anything useful for a few minutes after that.

dgf hhw

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:26 pm

I started a book club. Woo.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:07 pm

My credit card is now a normal, unsecured credit card. This means that A) the money I used to secure it can now be used to help me move, and B) I have not only outlived my bad credit, I have started aquiring good. Also, C) the lady told me they would approve me to up my limit if I wanted, which means D) I may not have to rely on my parents for help moving afterall!

Also, a form that I needed was actually in my file in the department. That never happens, I was expecting a huge rigamarole to find it. I think this means karma is on my side right now.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Writing me the most helpful email ever probably tipped the karmic scales in your favor. :wink:

*hugs* and congrats on your improving credit!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:40 am

What an interesting day. It was a long monday night for me. which was not my fault but due to the ineptitudes of others that prevented me from getting my work done. I got my work done quickly when I was finally able to start on it about six hours into my ten hour shift (it only took me five to complete everything, so I theoretically could have gotten five hours more sleep) so I got home at 610 AM, park on the side that is empty because of street cleaning and set my alarm for 720am as I HAVE to get up and go report for jury duty at 8am because I forgot about the other jury duty and there's no on call program this time around, I face fines and other legal troubles if I don't report. I don't fall asleep right away and the next thing I"m really completely aware of is that it's 8am and my rather loud obnoxious alarm has been going off for quite a while (I do think I hit snooze twice).

cursing, I toss on clothes, grab a peach to munch and dash out to my car, praying the street cleaning parking ticket dude has not yet shown up (street cleaning starts at 8) I'm halfway to my car and realize I forgot my wallet.

curses!

dash back inside and then outside again, turn the corner and there is the parking ticket faux-police car and a the parking ticket officer approaching my truck. I trot towards my truck as he's starting to look at the license plate number to write out the ticket. I gasp out, I'm moving it and he just

waves at me and walks away.

No ticket!

but still, it's 815am and I'm already late, 15 minutes later I'm parking at the courthouse and a few minutes later arriving on the jury holding floor. there's four other people there chatting and no court representative.

No one will ever know or care that I was late!

about twenty minutes later someone shows up, and quickly runs us through, announces there are no trials for us, takes our paperwork and tells us all jury duty obligations are discharged by our showing up and hands us a certificate that gets us out of jury duty for the next year if we're summoned (gold! well actually it's green paper but still).

So I call my supervisor and he's thrilled.

A little later I call my boss (that puts me on other shows) and he's also pleased then we chat for a moment and it looks like he has another show lined up for me and it's probably a day shift and I'll probably get put on staff (benefits, vacation accumulates, etc) rather than remaining freelance if that show works out with me after an initial trial period. Score! very exciting and pleasing.

Not to shabby a morning, much more exciting than my typical 6am-10am routine (which is sleeping).

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:03 am

When I was a kid -- say, around 10 years old; sometime in elementary school, at least -- I used to watch Nickelodeon. I remember that between shows they would sometimes have little short animations or educational tidbits or whatever to show. One of these was a variation on this "Rabbit rabbit" superstition. The particular variation I remember hearing (which I may be remembering incorrectly), was that saying "rabbit rabbit" as the last thing you say before you go to sleep while still in bed and as the first thing you said when you awoke when still in bed, on the first morning of a new month would grant you good luck for that month.

Okay, it's a silly little kids thing. But I tried to do it, but never could remember well enough at the proper time to pull it off. Ever since then, I have been trying to do this every single month (well, not trying very hard, mind you, but every time I noticed a month had passed without realizing it, I got a little annoyed because I misssed another opportunity). This has been going on for the past ten years (well, approximately; I don't remember exactly when I started). It has since annoyed me because it began to seem like something that I was just incapable of doing. I am usually at my most not-thinking-straight-est both late at night and immediately upon awakening, so it's been very difficult for me to remember such an obscure and trivial thing at such a time.

Today/yesterday, on 1 August 2008, I finally did it. No notes or artificial aid or anything like that; I just happened to really think hard about it on a day where it actually mattered. You have no idea how proud of this I am, especially because it's such a pointless thing. It is without a doubt the most difficult and time-spanning Pointless Thing I have ever done. And it was awesome.

dgf hhw

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:56 am

I managed to figure out how to install my digital set top box with minimal instructions and a reasonable amount of trial and error today.

And yesterday evening I managed to make my dvd drive work properly by editing my computer registry (always a scary thing to contemplate)

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 pm

Two years ago I wrote a short story. I loved it, but there was something wrong with it. I wasn't sure what -- it was just... broken. And today, while listening to an NPR show, it occurred to me what had been wrong. A simple idea. And now it all works.

I am thrilled.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:51 am

I wrote and mailed thank you notes to most of the people who helped me with my move.

And wrote and mailed my first honest-to-god love letter.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 pm

I applied for a tutoring position. There's a good chance they'll see my GPA and throw out my application without looking at it, but I applied.

My schedule is FULL for the first time in ever, which I'm excited about.

I'm actually involved on campus this year. A lot. Woo.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:27 pm

I finally put up fliers around town advertising my not-so-unique skills. Hey, in a college town, there has to be someone who needs to hire a modeler/animator, right?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”