Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:31 pm

The girl i'm going with has never had her's done, and this will my first time too. I have a feeling i'm not going to like it, i'm not a girly girl at ALL.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:43 pm

The manicure is better than the pedicure. I'll say that much.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:46 pm

Are you kidding? Best way to spend an hour ever. But actually, it's all about the pedicure. I'm telling you, it doesn't matter what kind of day I'm having, one hour in one of those chairs and life is rosy. Getting your nails done is the ultimate luxury... it's only something I do when I have both disposable cash and time, and very rarely do those things go together. And because it serves no actual purpose other than pure pleasure I can only justify it when it's truly a free day, so it symbolizes peace and restoration and pure indulgence and all that is good and beautiful in the world.

...I haven't thought about this too much, I swear.

Moral of the story, go for the pedicure. You'll thank me later, trust me.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:55 pm

Can't can't can't. I absolutely can't let people touch my feet. Not only am I way too ticklish, it creeps me out.

I'll go for the fingers.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:59 pm

The girl cut my toe near the nailbed. It HURT. It took months to heal. It was uncomfortable even without that and I hated the feeling of someone else messing with my toenails.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Aww I'm so sad for you! It would be such a shame to let a bad experience deprive you of such a wonderful thing for the rest of your life. :(

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:57 am

I love pedicures but because I've always suffered from ingrown toenails, I never let them cut my nails. I do it ahead of time. Plus I don't really trust the sterility of their instruments. The rest of the pedicure is the fun part anyway.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:10 pm

You know, I've been having problems with ingrown toenails lately. Do you have any tricks for getting them to not hurt so damn much?
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:20 pm

I have no clue, I just cut them and wait them out. So much pain.

Alright, another question. Does anyone have a good way to prevent hair dye from faiding? I'm thinking about dying my hair agian (I normally go red, but this time i'm thinking something darker, not sure yet) but I have such problems with it faiding.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:12 pm

I used to get blonde highlights, but one day my (very gay) stylist had a bad day and got carried away while telling me about it. My hair was almost bleached completely blonde. I didn't let anyone touch my hair for 6 months after that, and I'm the kind of girl that gets a haircut every 5 weeks.i've only dyed my hair with demi-permanent since then, and when it fades, it fades less obviously.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:14 pm

I've never had to get highlights, my hair so full of them naturally. It's kinda cool.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Stupid period comming exactly when it was supposed to... when I didn't have tampax in my purse...
I had to call my boyfriend and have him bring some to campus for me... He is amazing because he was totally ok with it....

I have no clue, I just cut them and wait them out. So much pain.

Alright, another question. Does anyone have a good way to prevent hair dye from faiding? I'm thinking about dying my hair agian (I normally go red, but this time i'm thinking something darker, not sure yet) but I have such problems with it faiding.
Only wash with shampoo every other day but condition every day... its kept mine brighter

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:20 pm

Thanks.

Which brings up another topic. I can not find a shampoo I really like. They either dry out my hair horribly or leave it too oily.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:20 pm

I've never had to get highlights, my hair so full of them naturally. It's kinda cool.
i just... did. Truthfully i dont know why, because i didnt really want them.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:02 pm

Me too. Lots of people ask me if I do, but it's all natural. Sometimes my hair decides it wants to be redder, sometimes blonder. I like it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:01 pm

When I was younger (about 15/16ish) I use to get compliments all the time on my hair. It was about lower back length, slightly wavy, and blonde. I kind of miss having that hair.

Although I still get compliments on my shorter, redder hair. It seems to change colors now. Some days it's almost bright red, others it's bright blonde.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:19 pm

You know, I've been having problems with ingrown toenails lately. Do you have any tricks for getting them to not hurt so damn much?
The best suggestion I can give is to not cut them too short. Leave as long as you can stand and don't cut the corners down at an angle, leave them long (like flat across the top) too. You can file very slightly so that it's not a sharp edge but keep it above the skin. If that makes sense...

After years of suffering, I had a slight sliver of my right big toenail permanently removed. Painful but worth it. Never had an ingrown nail since.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:25 pm

The best suggestion I can give is to not cut them too short. Leave as long as you can stand and don't cut the corners down at an angle, leave them long (like flat across the top) too. You can file very slightly so that it's not a sharp edge but keep it above the skin. If that makes sense...

After years of suffering, I had a slight sliver of my right big toenail permanently removed. Painful but worth it. Never had an ingrown nail since.
I've had so many ingrown toenail problems. Nomi's suggestions are definitely true.

However, it could be that yours are caused by the way that you walk. Mine were. I ended up getting three toenail resectionings done. Two on my right foot (each side) and one on my left foot. It was a pain. I have a lot of funny toenail resectioning stories.
-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Thanks.

Which brings up another topic. I can not find a shampoo I really like. They either dry out my hair horribly or leave it too oily.

i actually never ever ever shampoo my hair. for curly hair, it's supposedly one of the worst things you can do. i condition like a freak, though. and once a week i'll use a cleanser from devachan. that place is solely responsibly for getting me to like my hair.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:05 pm

for curly hair, it's supposedly one of the worst things you can do. i condition like a freak, though. and once a week i'll use a cleanser from devachan. that place is solely responsibly for getting me to like my hair.
really??

hmmmm. what kind of cleanser?

i don't know, i think my hair would get too oily if unwashed. but i also condition like crazy. i go at least one large bottle of conditioner a month, maybe more.

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:19 pm

My father would file the tops (not the edges, but the faces) of his nails, right in the middle to take the stress off of the edges. He swore it worked, though.

Try it, it can't hurt.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:28 pm

Unless it does.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 pm

*bump*

Ok, girls, after years of shaving and plucking and a brief and totally misguided pre-teen fling with Nair--I decided to bite the bullet and see if waxing is all it's cracked up to be.

First of all, let me just say that if I had known they were going to liquor me up for free beforehand, I would have braved my fear much, much sooner. On the spot I was offered water, juice, or a glass of wine. Clearly, since I was about to have hair ripped from my body with cloth and hot wax I opted for the wine. No real contest there.

And I am here to say, girls, that yes. It did hurt. But the pain was not even remotely as bad as I expected. I didn't have to scream an obscenity once, and my eyes didn't even water. My waxer was professional, informative, and absolutely hilarious. All in all, what I feared would be a totally traumatizing experience was actually a pretty good one. Sure, it was expensive, but I can tell you right now that I'm throwing all my razors and tweezers away when I get home. I'm a lifer now.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:37 pm

I didn't have to scream an obscenity once
Not even one little "Aaaahh! Kelly Clarkson!"?

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm thinking of using Mirena for birth control instead of the patch.

http://www.mirena-us.com/index.html?C=&c=

Do you have any opinions on it??

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 pm

Have you had a baby? They seem to stress that as one of the requirements for using their device.
-Kim

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 pm

I haven't had a baby, but I talked to my gyno and she said that it really doesn't matter...

I'm on some medications that are making my chemical birth control (the patch) ineffective. so my doctor and I have been looking into other options.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:01 am

Male opinion here: I've heard that it's harder to have a child after using that specific birth control option. Perhaps that is why it's aimed more at someone who has already had a child?

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:20 am

Male opinion here: I've heard that it's harder to have a child after using that specific birth control option. Perhaps that is why it's aimed more at someone who has already had a child?

Most men think that about most birth control, Wil. The studies I've read about Mirena say that a return to normal fertility is normal.

As to the original question, I wonder why they're so adamant about the post-baby thing, then, if it doesn't matter. I dunno. I would be leary of a doctor who said that when the drug facts are pretty clear about it. Maybe call the drug company and try to talk to a rep about it.
-Kim

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:20 am

Most men think that about most birth control, Wil. The studies I've read about Mirena say that a return to normal fertility is normal.

As to the original question, I wonder why they're so adamant about the post-baby thing, then, if it doesn't matter. I dunno. I would be leary of a doctor who said that when the drug facts are pretty clear about it. Maybe call the drug company and try to talk to a rep about it.
-Kim

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:40 am

I really wish the website was more clear in explaining why they stress it for women who have had children. It might be because women who have never been pregnant are more likely to expel the device, or it might be because they are targeting families since it will not protect against STIs (and may even increase the risk for PID).

Also, if your medications would affect hormonal treatment, I'm not sure if Mirena is a solution, because it's still progestin-based. Maybe you will have to go with the traditional (non-hormonal) IUD? (I'm not too sure about this--it probably depends on your medications.)

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:44 am

Why is it that the stupid period comes at the lest convinent time?
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:33 am

I'm thinking of using Mirena for birth control instead of the patch.

http://www.mirena-us.com/index.html?C=&c=

Do you have any opinions on it??
I've heard good things about IUDs. I have heard/ know very bad things about the patch/injection.
I know a woman (of course, this is just anicdotally and not medical evidence, but I still think it's important) who got the injection and when she went off it to have a baby, it stayed in her system for 2 years before she was able to concieve.

My opinion- a healthy woman menstruates. Anything that cuts your period to "four a year" or some such stuff seems pretty harmful to put in your body.

[/ranty]
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:38 am

The interesting thing, JL, about menstruation is that women in the western world menstruate far more frequently than women ever have before. We start earlier, end later and do it more often (because we have babies less.) Scientists are currently unclear as to the implications of this.. but, it seems to me that less isn't inherently a bad thing.

(In fact, when I went to taking the pill in such a way as to reduce the number of periods I have in a year, the doctor went on and on about how having less periods isn't going to hurt me, physiologically, but that many women object to it because society tells us that women have periods and you are somehow less of one if you choose not to.)
-Kim

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Also, if your medications would affect hormonal treatment, I'm not sure if Mirena is a solution, because it's still progestin-based. Maybe you will have to go with the traditional (non-hormonal) IUD? (I'm not too sure about this--it probably depends on your medications.)
Most of the hormones go directly to the uterus, bypassing the bloodstream and more importantly the liver, where my medications are interacting with each other.

The IUD works by blocking sperm so it can't reach the egg and fertilize it, thinning the lining of the uterus making it harder for an egg to implant, and sometimes by stopping the release f the egg...

I really can't figure out why they (the drug company) want women to have children, my doctors said it didn't matter because I'm in a long term monogamous relationship and thats what matters ( as far as STDs and safe sexual behavior) more than having a baby. She said the main benefit of having a baby (other then already having a child and a family) is its easier to insert the IUD.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”