Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:38 pm

The interesting thing, JL, about menstruation is that women in the western world menstruate far more frequently than women ever have before. We start earlier, end later and do it more often (because we have babies less.) Scientists are currently unclear as to the implications of this.. but, it seems to me that less isn't inherently a bad thing.

(In fact, when I went to taking the pill in such a way as to reduce the number of periods I have in a year, the doctor went on and on about how having less periods isn't going to hurt me, physiologically, but that many women object to it because society tells us that women have periods and you are somehow less of one if you choose not to.)
I wonder if there isn't a link to the focus on "dating" earlier. If you're supposed to be mixing it up with the opposite gender fairly early, maybe your body wants to be ready.

No evidence to support this, just a random idea.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Couple things:

Kelly, what area did you get waxed?

I've had eyebrows, upper lip and bikini area done at different times. And for me the bikini line was painful and actually not that effective. They had to rip the same area like three times and I was left with many blood oozing spots. I think it's because I have such incredibly coarse hair and sensitive skin (ie, when I've used nair, my skin turns beet red for hours but my hair doesn't fall out).

I finally resorted to laser hair removal on my lower legs after years of suffering. Regular shaving gave me folliculitis (red bumps all over, infections of the follicles), electric shavers were only close enough to last a day, I had to grow it too long to wax on a regular basis, etc.

On the birth control topic:
I have tried SEVEN different bcp (including the patch and Diane-35, not approved in the US but very popular in Canada and England) over the last 10 years, not for birth control purposes but to try to improve endometriosis symptoms and they all either gave me side effects that I couldn't live with or made the endo worse. It is very frustrating.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:38 pm

I finally resorted to laser hair removal on my lower legs after years of suffering. Regular shaving gave me folliculitis (red bumps all over, infections of the follicles), electric shavers were only close enough to last a day, I had to grow it too long to wax on a regular basis, etc.
How did that work? Was it worth the money? I'm seriously considering spending my summer work savings on laser hair removal.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:59 pm

I actually had an offshoot of laser called IPL (intense pulsed light) but it's done by the same people/places that do laser hair removal. It's used for certain skin and hair color combinations - specifically very pale skin and very dark hair. It uses a larger wand so it covers larger surface areas at a time compared to laser...but it's not for all people. The results are very similar to laser.

I only got 3 treatments out of the recommended 5-6 for full hair removal, each treatment being 4-6 weeks apart (I think). The cost varies but in my case for the two lower legs it was around $400 for the first treatment and $300 for each of the two followups. I would say I got to about 50% permanent reduction at that point. The reason I stopped was that each time my reaction to the treatment got more severe. I had an allergic reaction to the incinerated hair remnant left in the follicle. It sits in there until it gets ejected out over a period of a week or two. For most people it causes minor irritation but for me it caused such severe itching that I was scratching until I bled and no ointments, creams or antihistamines helped. I still am very glad I did it and I'm happy with the results.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:15 am

I wonder if there isn't a link to the focus on "dating" earlier. If you're supposed to be mixing it up with the opposite gender fairly early, maybe your body wants to be ready.

No evidence to support this, just a random idea.
Nope, especially since people in the western world marry later, rather than earlier, in comparison to the rest of the world. In some third world countries, a thirteen or fourteen year old being married is not uncommon, and most western girls aren't having sex at that point. An enormous part of it is simply health-related. You have to weigh a certain amount (call it around 105 lbs, give or take) for your endocrine system to function in a way that allows you to carry a child to term and have your period, and you have to have a certain amount of body fat--about 17%. That's why girls with eating disorders often stop menstruating, once they get to a certain point.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:53 am

I hope the women don't mind me posting... :P

Something else I thought interesting was how female gymnasts often don't go through puberty -- or as complete a puberty. Apparently since they are putting their body through so much every day their body decides to just ignore puberty. Once the kids stop with the gymnastics later in their teen years, their body finally has enough resources to go through puberty -- they grow taller, their breasts develop fully, and they begin menstruating -- and apparently they go through all of this much faster as well.

17% body fat seems too high to me. The average percentage for a female under 30 is between 13% and 20%, so perhaps it's more like 7%?

Also, quick question: What are the womens thoughts on the "ONE LESS" (damn that's an annoying commercial especially considering that they also show/promote it to girls who look 12) Gardasil cervical cancer vaccination? Have you gotten it? Why? Isn't it kind of dumb to get a shot of a drug that has no long term tests done on it? Won't you feel dumb if later in life you learn that vaccination single handedly lead to the infertility of the next generation of females and/or caused UV sensitive hairless zombie vampires? Doesn't it also seem dumb to get vaccinated for something where the risks of getting it are far, FAR less than females getting breast cancer and/or developing heart disease? Also far, far less than dieing of said breast cancer and heart disease?

Also quite frightening is that it has been reported that 2 girls have died in the UK after receiving the shot, and three in the USA. 28 women have apparently miscarried after having received the drug.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:40 am

I've heard as low as 12% body fat for menarche.

Not only do gymnasts have low body fat (preventing menarche), but people who exercise that much can have hypothalamic amenorrhea. Exercising releasing beta-endorphins, which make you feel good, but also signals to the brain that your body is under stress. They won't release the hormones needed to go through the menstrual cycle. Hypothalamic amenorrhea is also what causes some women to miss periods when they are stressed out.

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Ok, that makes sense too. But I wasn't talking getting married, anon. I was talking being active. Which are two different things.

Anyway, on the ONE LESS, I think it's a good idea, but I'm a little creeped out that they offer it to nine year olds. Seriously. I know stuff happens, but nine. Anyway. I have not gotten it myself, being in a monogamous relationship. We'll see when my daughter gets it. It will depend on what her life is like, I think. I don't know. I've got a couple years to deal with how I feel about it.
--SARA

Lantern Corps Pledge

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:11 pm

I don't think the fact that western women have more periods has anything to do with age at which we mix with boys. (Honestly, it isn't any earlier here than anywhere else.)

As for the Gardasil vaccine, I am personally freaked out by such new medication. This is in large part because there haven't been 30 year studies. I like long term studies like that because it gives us time to figure out what's really up with a drug or a procedure. However, we do have the adaptive immune response down pretty pat, so vaccines aren't nearly as scary to me as drugs, especially drugs that actually act on body cells (as opposed to bacterial cells.)

Additionally, it's aimed at 10-12 year old girls because it's efficacy drops significantly once you become sexually active. They want you to have gotten the full course of the vaccine a while before you become sexually active.
-Kim

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:13 pm

Ok, that makes sense too. But I wasn't talking getting married, anon. I was talking being active. Which are two different things.

Anyway, on the ONE LESS, I think it's a good idea, but I'm a little creeped out that they offer it to nine year olds. Seriously. I know stuff happens, but nine. Anyway. I have not gotten it myself, being in a monogamous relationship. We'll see when my daughter gets it. It will depend on what her life is like, I think. I don't know. I've got a couple years to deal with how I feel about it.
Yes, which is why I said, "In some third world countries, a thirteen or fourteen year old being married is not uncommon, and most western girls aren't having sex at that point."

Beyond that, the body fat might be off--I don't remember the exact number. You get the basic idea, though.

Re: one less... Wil, a correction. It is not a cervical cancer vaccination. It is an HPV vaccination, and HPV causes the vast majority of cases of cervical cancer.

And, yeah, what Kim said. The point isn't to imply that your 9 year old is having sex, it's to catch it before they start having it.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:30 pm

its set...

I'm getting my Mirena IUD inserted at 10:15 on the 29th..

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:08 am

WOW! that was the most painful experience of my life.

my cervex had to be dilated with drugs that I had to "put into the area" and then with bigger and bigger instruments that were forced into my cervix...
And apparently the uterus doesn't like having a large thing shoved in it (thats why they say its better when its used by a woman who has had children, it aggravates the uterus less) and the uterus lets you know this by cramping like hell.

I know child birth will kick my ass... but that sucked balls.

Its been a few days and the cramping it gone, my body feels normal, and I don't have to worry about by Medications effecting my birth control anymore :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Yikes-a-roni! I'm sorry you had to go through that. I actually thought that might be a reason they recommended it for women who had already had a child, because their cervix/uterus would be more flexible.

I've heard the horror stories about my own birth when they had to get me out quickly because I wasn't getting enough oxygen, so they manually opened my mom's cervix all the way with one contraction to get my head through. They made my dad leave the room because it was going to be so bad. And she was doing it natural, so no drugs to help. Ah...the joys of womanhood...

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:54 pm

I think that every female reading that post just had a knee-jerk reaction involving cessation of breathing and waves of nausea. Must have sucked.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Ouch.

Oh man I don't want to give birth...

Though by the time August rolls around I'm sure I'll be ready to get this kid outta me.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:19 am

Did you get my pm, Jayelle? Just wondered...

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:22 am

Yeah, I've now replied.

I'm thinking this thread might be the best place to share my pregnancy joys/woes...

Woes: I still throw up on occasion, even though I'm out of the first trimester, my stomach ligaments are starting to stretch so there's pain in my sides fairly often... and my digestive system hates me.

Joys: I'm finally starting to show! I can tell there's something growing in there, which is really cool. We heard the heartbeat on Valentine's Day, which has to be one of the top coolest moments of my life.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm glad you're feeling better, JL. I think about you a lot, since I've know how you're feeling. Please keep updating us on your progress!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:23 pm

Yeah. The whole knee-jerk with pain, Yeah. Seriously.

Also, Jayelle, the thing that I wish I could have learned before having Will was to relax my muscles. All of them. I still struggle with that. So, especially if you're going the natural/midwife route, that's a really good thing to learn. I wish I'd taken up meditation or something.

I do some now, and it helped with Anna. Especially as I had pit, and it made me kind of weird mentally.
--SARA

Lantern Corps Pledge

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:36 pm

My mom did lamaze with all three of us and she swears by it, as far as it helping her go the natural route. Although, I guess by the third kid my dad wasn't a very helpful/attentive coach (he had already cheated on her and my little brother was an attempt to "fix" the marriage...it didn't work of course and they divorced soon after).

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:26 am

Also, Jayelle, the thing that I wish I could have learned before having Will was to relax my muscles. All of them. I still struggle with that. So, especially if you're going the natural/midwife route, that's a really good thing to learn. I wish I'd taken up meditation or something.
Is that for during pregnancy to feel better or is it for the actual delivery?

Either way, good advice.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:31 pm

My mom swears by lamaze, too. She used it with both me and my little brother. I was 11 when she was pregnant with my baby brother, so I learned to do progressive muscle relaxation and the breathing techniques when she and my dad were practicing :)

In retrospect, that must have been quite cute.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 pm

Have you considered the birth yet? Natural vs pain meds?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:15 pm

I have alot of thoughts about birth (of course), and I want to be fairly med-free, but I also don't know how painful it will be, so I don't want to commit to anything at the moment.
What I don't like about pain meds is that it effects the baby, so they can be born with drugs in their system - groggy and whatnot. That makes me nervous.

What I don't want is an epidural. Mostly because they insert it between the L4 and L5 vertebrae, and my L4 was the one I broke 9 years ago. It's compressed. So, I don't really trust an anesthetist to know my spine, when it's not like a normal spine. It just kinda freaks me out.

The drug that I would have without question is gas. It has very little effect on the baby and, according to my sister, helps to just "take the edge off".

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:44 pm

I've had gas. It certainly takes the edge off, though those around you may disagree.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:41 am

Get out of the girl's thread, Chico.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:40 am

Yeah, Chico! *adjusts wig and cantaloupes in blouse*

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:00 pm

I've been forgetting to update you guys on the latest joys!

I'm now officially halfway through my pregnancy - 20/40 weeks. And the most exciting part about that is finally being able to feel the baby move. Squiggles is squiggling! Sometimes it's even hard enough for Paul to feel, which is amazing. He's so excited.

Woes are that my back is getting more and more sore, I can't wait to start yoga next week.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:32 pm

Half way done already? Wow! Starting yoga now will be a good thing. You're back is just going to get worse as pregnancy goes on, so definitely good call on the yoga.

Are you going to find out sex?

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:35 pm

I don't tell pregnant women about my labor and delivery. It tends to freak them out.

I want another kid really bad.
Putting the P in Pweb since 2001

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Are you going to find out sex?
We found out sex about 5 months ago. ;) (I couldn't just let that typo go)

As for the gender of the baby, no we're not finding out until it's born.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:27 pm

Haha! Wow. What a typo on my part!

You'll have to tell me whether it's fun to find out the gender at birth. I wanted to know with both. Actually, it wouldn't have mattered whether I wanted to know or not with either of them. They were both very proud of their manhood. I could tell they were boys before the ultrasound tech even zoomed in.

I love feeling the baby move. That's really the one thing I miss when I'm not pregnant. Enjoy it while you've got it (and before it starts to become painful)!

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:34 am

Oh man i couldn't help it, I had to know the gender of the baby. I wanted a boy so bad, that when I found out I was having a girl my midwife looked at my face and said "it's okay, you'll get used to it"

I was nervous about it until she was here, then I didn't care at all. I think it's fun having a little girl now.
Putting the P in Pweb since 2001

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:03 am

Both, Jan, but especially for the birth process.

You know what the weird thing is? I didn't get Will's gender checked, but I knew he was going to be a boy. I also knew Anna was going to be a girl before the ultrasound showed us that she was. It was just weird. We only had a boy name picked out for Will, (Well, we had a girl name, but we were undecided on exactly how it should go) and then, with Anna, we only could come up with a girl's name. But anyway.

Feeling the little one move is lots of fun. Hooray!

SARA
--SARA

Lantern Corps Pledge

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Stretch Marks.

Most women get them sooner or later.

For the most part I've reconciled with mine. They don't bother me on the whole. But currently I have a roommate who is all about extensive skin regime. She (being ironing-board thin and flat with no fluctuation her entire life) has none, but was asking me whether I've ever tried using creams to reduce the appearance of mine.

I have not.

I know that there's almost no way to get rid of them permanently. And many of mine are barely noticeable. There are two that are rather red, still, and if I could make them less so without laser surgery or ridiculously expensive over-the-counter meds, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Anyone have any luck or experience or products to recommend?

If it's not worth it I'll happily go back to ignoring them. My boyfriend certainly doesn't seem to care. :D
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Return to “Milagre Town Square”