Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:16 pm

In my experience, the suppression method doesn't work perfectly right away. It was kind of a training process, for me. It took me 2 or 3 months to get everything level when I started suppression my freshman year of college, and another month or two when I switched brands last year.

Good luck!
-Kim

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Mine decided to show up last week (when I should have it it for at least another week) just to make me really mad. This was actually the first time I wanted to try the suppression method because we have so much going on for the next couple of weeks that I wanted to enjoy.

Kinda bummed, but at least it was a really short one.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm

I'm gonna try it anyway. I've done suppression a handful of times in the past on this pill with great success, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm currently in the middle of a rocking girls night in. So far I have performed hair removal, hair maintenance, exfoliated, actually found my lotion, and brushed my hair. Now I'm watching Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, braiding my hair and drinking beer.

I am currently trying to convince my friend I "watch" movies with over AIM to watch Mean Girls next. He's not feeling it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:02 am

Will you brush my hair next? I'm thinking of going to a salon and asking if they'll play with my hair for twenty minutes in lieu of getting a haircut.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:09 am

I LOVE that feeling, of having my hair messed with, played with, etc, not in a sexual way, just in a tactile, moving hair way.

Actually, the reason brushing the hair was important was because I erm, hadn't done so, in like, 4 days. My hair is generally straight enough that I can pull it into a messy bun without it being that bad. But yeah... I should brush it every day....

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:19 am

Wow... four days? I need to do mine something like twice a day, and even then I can get some frustrating knots.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:21 am

I LOVE that feeling, of having my hair messed with, played with, etc, not in a sexual way, just in a tactile, moving hair way.

I feel the exact same way. I beg anyone who's around to play with it or brush it, and whenever I'm at my grandma's, I beg her to wash it. Anything to get fingers in there.
Actually, the reason brushing the hair was important was because I erm, hadn't done so, in like, 4 days. My hair is generally straight enough that I can pull it into a messy bun without it being that bad. But yeah... I should brush it every day....
ha, I, uh, hardly ever brush my hair. It makes it super frizzy, so it's either brush/comb it right after a shower if I want it more wavy or leave it to its own devices if I want it curlier. Given I have no idea how to tame it either way, I usually leave it to sort itself out. That's probably a bad thing.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Anyone have any good recommendations for good lotion/full-body moisturizer? My current one, that I barely use, apparently gives me little red bumbs.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Since you barely use it, could it be that it's old? That might be the issue with bumps.
I have eczema issues, so I use tiny bits of vaseline or Spectro lotion. The major thing to cut out is you're reacting is any kind of scent. That usually helps.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Anyone have any good recommendations for good lotion/full-body moisturizer? My current one, that I barely use, apparently gives me little red bumbs.
If you have a Lush nearby, Dream Cream! It's a bit pricey, ($25) but it's a God send. It has calamine and lavender, so it's really gentle and soothing if you're got irritation from another lotion. It's a good moisturizer, but light enough for summer. And it's sooooo soothing. I can't live without it :)

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/bo ... ream-cream

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:07 pm

If you have a Lush nearby, Dream Cream! It's a bit pricey, ($25) but it's a God send. It has calamine and lavender, so it's really gentle and soothing if you're got irritation from another lotion. It's a good moisturizer, but light enough for summer. And it's sooooo soothing. I can't live without it :)

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/bo ... ream-cream
Oooh I love Lush but I don't think I have any of their creams. Hmm maybe I will go look next--but not for lavender, my mother is apparently allergic. Thanks!!
Since you barely use it, could it be that it's old? That might be the issue with bumps.
That could probably be it. Thanks!

On another skin reactivity note, is painting clear nail polish over jewelry really worth it/effective? I'm allergic to nickel and have some bracelets and such (because I'm delusional and thought they wouldn't make me itch) I would like to wear. Thanks!!

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:52 pm

Bummer for your mom being allergic to lavender, but yay for loving Lush!

On the topic of girly stuff, I am currently debating highlights. My hair is finally my natural color, LOL, and it bores me. Plus, I think it's finally healthy enough to add some color into again. I always loved the light blonde highlights...

The other option is to henna it bright red, which I recall looking pretty, lol. But I'm slightly hesitant to do that again, given that last time I eventually got bored of it and went back to blonde.

I am very much so in the mood to feel pretty and give a crap about my appearance again, LOL.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Soo... I went for some maintenance today and the waxer didn't wear gloves.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 pm

Soo I made a hair appointment for Friday and it just occurred to me I have no idea what I want to do with it. It is far too bulky but I am liking the length, and the color is less atrocious/random/grown out/etc. Most of the light brown highlights have grown out very far. But now there are some weird very reddish ones that I am not sure are leftovers of a mistake made when semi-permanently dying it in February or natural. But it is sooo dark. I am not used to my natural hair color!

I think I am just going to get a few inches off and layers, but I'm tempted to go shorter again. I am finally getting decent at maintaining it when its longer so I shouldn't give up now, right?
:P
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm currently attempting to grow my hair out... Again. I always say i'm going to, and then I end up getting bored and it ends up getting cut.

I am thinking about dying it again though, I miss being a red head.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:37 am

ha, I, uh, hardly ever brush my hair. It makes it super frizzy, so it's either brush/comb it right after a shower if I want it more wavy or leave it to its own devices if I want it curlier. Given I have no idea how to tame it either way, I usually leave it to sort itself out. That's probably a bad thing.
Ugh Alea, my hair is exactly the same way. I end up wearing it up most of the time, which breaks my hair and makes it even frizzier. I used to braid it to control the waves, but now its too short for that to look good...there has to be a better way!

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:20 am

I totally don't belong here, nor am I remotely qualified to even having read this, but it was linked on Reddit and made me think of you guys.

Diva cup review on Amazon
The theory is that the cup catches your pan drippings, and you empty it a couple times a day, washing it with hippy soap, and reinserting. It presupposes you are enough of an Earth Mother to be OK not only with your monthly outpourings, but also with generally fossicking around in your flaps.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:23 am

Ugh Alea, my hair is exactly the same way. I end up wearing it up most of the time, which breaks my hair and makes it even frizzier. I used to braid it to control the waves, but now its too short for that to look good...there has to be a better way!
Not a girls' problem, only :|
That's why i rather have it short. Plus, starting to bald combines bad with long hair XD this is not the 70s anymore.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks for that, Cam. Seriously, it made me feel incredibly superior to whoever wrote that, and I am having a s***** self-esteem day :D
The theory is that the cup catches your pan drippings, and you empty it a couple times a day, washing it with hippy soap, and reinserting. It presupposes you are enough of an Earth Mother to be OK not only with your monthly outpourings, but also with generally fossicking around in your flaps.
:roll:

Spoken like a squeamish 15-year old.

Seriously, I am the last person anyone would refer to as a hippy or an earth mother. However, dude, at some point in your life it is generally a good idea to get fairly comfortable with your body, including the private regions. I mean, most people presume at some point they are going to allow another person to insert something into those "flaps." So, DIY insertion is just not that weird once you get over whatever initial squickiness you have. So, yes, I'd say it's fair to say that the cup expects you are comfortable doing that. But if you are past the age of about 23 and can't get over it, that's your problem.

(Unless you have some sort of phobia of blood that would actually cause you to faint, in which case your best option is probably flushing disposable tampons without even looking at them.)

Also, the soap doesn't have to be "hippy."

Plus, the cup has more than paid for itself by now. Just to thrown an econimical fact into the mix. Really, I have to think of my period far less with the cup than I had to using disposable protection. Both in that 1) it requires less-frequent changes and 2) I don't have to remember to buy supplies. This makes it actually somewhat better for the people who have the squick factor, other than the part about having to, you know, actually touch yourself. Which, ohmigod, howfreakyawfulthatwouldbe, ewgross.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:49 pm

I was going to post something really similar, Kirsten. I'm glad you did it first.

Girls, learn to be comfortable with your body. It will make you a happier person.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:12 pm

I can't help but think, with a username of Ben Dover, that the review was purposefully written as amusing as it was.

Nonetheless, I just figured I'd add - guys like women who are comfortable with their bodies - another good reason to be as such :D :D
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:59 pm

I didn't actually click the link, just read your post. Damn. There goes the feeling of superiority.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Thanks for that, Cam. Seriously, it made me feel incredibly superior to whoever wrote that, and I am having a s***** self-esteem day :D
:roll:

Spoken like a squeamish 15-year old.

Seriously, I am the last person anyone would refer to as a hippy or an earth mother. However, dude, at some point in your life it is generally a good idea to get fairly comfortable with your body, including the private regions. I mean, most people presume at some point they are going to allow another person to insert something into those "flaps." So, DIY insertion is just not that weird once you get over whatever initial squickiness you have. So, yes, I'd say it's fair to say that the cup expects you are comfortable doing that. But if you are past the age of about 23 and can't get over it, that's your problem.

(Unless you have some sort of phobia of blood that would actually cause you to faint, in which case your best option is probably flushing disposable tampons without even looking at them.)

Also, the soap doesn't have to be "hippy."

Plus, the cup has more than paid for itself by now. Just to thrown an econimical fact into the mix. Really, I have to think of my period far less with the cup than I had to using disposable protection. Both in that 1) it requires less-frequent changes and 2) I don't have to remember to buy supplies. This makes it actually somewhat better for the people who have the squick factor, other than the part about having to, you know, actually touch yourself. Which, ohmigod, howfreakyawfulthatwouldbe, ewgross.
Hmmm...

I do not think of myself as remotely squeemish about my lady parts, but still, I have no desire the stick a diva cup inside me. The thought of removing a cup, filled with blood, and washing it to reinsert does not appeal to me at all. I gag a little just removing a tampon, lol.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes, but there's a huge difference between that response and the response quoted in terms of tone and horror and disdain that a company would actually expect anyone outside of hippie earth-mothers to be interested in the product.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Yes, but there's a huge difference between that response and the response quoted in terms of tone and horror and disdain that a company would actually expect anyone outside of hippie earth-mothers to be interested in the product.
Very true. Most power to those of you who can! I love that it's far better for the environment, and I certainly see how it's easier to manage (time and cost wise). I'm just not psychologically able to disassociate actual blood from menstrual tissue.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:20 pm

I think there are at least half a dozen of us pweb girls who have made the switch to some brand of menstrual cup. They really do rock.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:50 pm

I had to explain to my mother what blush and bronzer were today. And that I couldn't put them all over my face to make it less shiny...

Ahhh there are apparently no Lush stores in my part of socal! I want some new lotion! And I also really want to try out one of the bath bombs. And I'm kind of tempted to do the reddish henna dye? Speaking of red :P

Also, I did get my hair cut. I hated it at first because I felt like it was too short but now I like it, so I'm glad I did it.
Your life anymore

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 am

Very true. Most power to those of you who can! I love that it's far better for the environment, and I certainly see how it's easier to manage (time and cost wise). I'm just not psychologically able to disassociate actual blood from menstrual tissue.
It's amazing what you can desensitise yourself to. :) I mean, think back. At first, pads and tampons were horrible weird things and really quite gross, but you got used to them.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Apparently there is and we just don't know it; it's like an ancient Chinese secret or something.

It seems to help me being in a climate that is so dry, I'm giving the air my moisture instead of the other way around.
Also, I did get my hair cut. I hated it at first because I felt like it was too short but now I like it, so I'm glad I did it.
Picture? :D

You can't talk about cutting your hair off in front of me, as I'm very impressionable and have been hating my hair for months now. I'd do the easy thing and chop it all off but I want to have long hair in the winter this year.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:15 pm

I blame my bob post on premenstrual psychosis...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 pm

I have to confess: I may not go back to the cup after my menstruation resumes. I had over a year of yeast infections around when I was using it and I tried everything to get rid of them. (stopping birth control, using tea tree oil soap, new underwear, a new washing regimen for the cup, etc.) The only thing that stopped them was the hormone shift when I got pregnant and even still, I have to be very careful or I'll end up with another infection. While I don't think the cup caused the problem, it might have been a contributing factor. Even if it wasn't, I associate it in my mind with that awful, awful time and I'm not sure I can use it without painful memories and lots of nerves. We'll see.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:08 am

Picture? :D

You can't talk about cutting your hair off in front of me, as I'm very impressionable and have been hating my hair for months now. I'd do the easy thing and chop it all off but I want to have long hair in the winter this year.
Sometime when it's not nearly 2 am :P Though at this rate I'll never look decent enough to get a picture since I have to be up at 6:30 and have no way of being sure to wake myself having forgotten my phone in my car/my parents will be like what the heck if i open the door. Only 4 more hours. But lots of online dating sites to peruse! :P I still refuse to put up a picture of them so I prolly shouldnt have started with a guy I am really interested in to see how that goes over...

ETA: It just realized how weird that I am so afraid of online dating when my favorite movie when I was 10 was You've Got Mail....
Your life anymore

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Does anyone have any remedies for ingrown hairs? The backs of my calves are all bumpy and red and gross, and I'm going to a convention in a few weeks, and I'm planning to wear a skirt and a dress and I feel really self-conscious about it.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:06 pm

Add a salt or sugar scrub to your shaving routine. If you scrub first, it will take off the thin layer of skin that starts to grow over the hair so that when you shave, the hair doesn't get left in place to continue to grow under the skin.

As for getting rid of the bad ones you already have, the only thing that works for me is to use a straight pin or needle and dig them out. :?
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”