Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Re: Girly Stuff

Postby thoughtreader » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:36 pm

So I have no idea why but today (and 2 days ago) my uterus feels like it is going to explode out of my back or rip out of my abdomen :(
And it HURTS something terrible; worst cramps i can remember, curled up in a ball heating pad on my front, and back tons of a Advil pain. Now I admit my uterus and I are usually one pretty good terms, i haven't had a period in oh about 4 years and it hasn't given me any issues in those 4 years. And even when I was having periods they were light and very low cramps so all and all my uterus and I are usually on very good terms.
but now out of no where CRAMPS no period just crazy bad cramps so bad my back is aching and i'm pretty close to being super whinny, though my husband has been awesome getting me heating pads and pain killers and all but I just don't know why it is hurting me. I would understand if I had a period for the first time in 4 years and cramps with it but nada nothing bleeding wise.

Just PAIN so much PAIN :(

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm so sorry! Why no period in four years? Do you take continuous bcps?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm so sorry! Why no period in four years? Do you take continuous bcps?
No, My body has never been good at having periods... if I'm on the pill I have a period, if I'm not i don't have one. I've had maybe 5-10 (much closer to 5) all by myself like a big girl in my whole life. Currently I have the Mirena IUD and while it says "periods my become lighter over time and even stop" I'm sure that isn't my case because they stopped the second I went off the patch, no light periods spotting or anything. So I really don't know why I don't have periods, every time I have brought it up to my lady Dr they just put me on the pill to regulate things but that doesn't tell me why? or make them keep coming when I stop.

but reading over the web site it says "If you have persistent pelvic or abdominal pain, see your healthcare provider." So maybe i should go to the Dr. I do need to go just because its time. Hmm maybe if I have one more day of cramps and I will... maybe.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm

And again with the angry uterus today :( I guess I should find a local Gyn...

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:10 pm

I guess I should find a local Gyn...
Yes. Better to be safe than sorry; I'd hate for it to be anything serious. *hug* Feel better.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Well no lady Dr visit for me today. 6 inches of snow and EVERY gyno in the area is closed :(
pain is a little better today but still sucky as hall. I talked to my mom about it last night and she got all worried voice at me because of the IUD and told me to get myself to the Dr. ASAP. *sigh* stupid snow.

I shall try again tomorrow

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:18 pm

YES. Do get it checked out. SOON SOON SOON.

I'm going to talk to my Dr. next week about getting an IUD put in after baby's here. Haven't decided with/without hormones. I only have insurance for myself for two months after baby is born*, and figure that's the best way to not have to think about it again until we're back on our feet. Insurance plan does cover it, so it seems like the route to go. Even though it does scare me some that, while things rarely go wrong with them, when they do they go rather disastrously wrong.

*Don't worry. He gets covered much longer than that. We just have to hope that if I'm to have any major medical conditions, they arise over the next three months or so.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:48 pm

I plan on waking up early (8:00) and calling until I get same day appointment. Wish me luck!
I'm going to talk to my Dr. next week about getting an IUD put in after baby's here.
I'd say do it, I have really liked mine, its been wonderful not having to think about birth control for the last 4 years. I guess my opinion may change after the visit tomorrow but all things turning out well (*fingers crossed*) I like mine a lot and would get it again any day. As far as the after baby thing I hear the hormone ones aren't recommended for nursing mothers, but I'd ask you Dr.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 am

Please let us know when you find out anything!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:07 am

AGAIN. MY BIRTH CONTROL PRESCRIPTION IS WRONG AGAIN. WHAT THE EVER-LOVING f*** IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.

I am literally weeping with rage at my desk right now. I cannot f****** believe I have to go through this s*** every goddamn month.

WHY IS THE PILL STILL PRESCRIPTION ONLY. THEY NEED TO OVER-THE-COUNTER THIS s*** IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS BEYOND STUPID.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 am

AGAIN. MY BIRTH CONTROL PRESCRIPTION IS WRONG AGAIN. WHAT THE EVER-LOVING f*** IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.

I am literally weeping with rage at my desk right now. I cannot f****** believe I have to go through this s*** every goddamn month.

WHY IS THE PILL STILL PRESCRIPTION ONLY. THEY NEED TO OVER-THE-COUNTER THIS s*** IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS BEYOND STUPID.
*Hug*
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:38 am

And I wake up to all the snow covered in a thick sheet of ice, giant tree branches falling in the back yard and the coast gaurd base is closed. so far no luck on an open Dr but I will keep trying... *sigh* and worse because I haven't been seen at ay office they wont call the dr on call for me. What the F is a Dr on call or if you don't call them f***!!
But if I find a place to go my lived in AK inlawys will get me there with there crazy bad weather driving skills :)

UPDATE:
So some of the offices are opening at noon, I will start calling non stop again at 12:00 on the dot. One of the offices picked up and said the Drs would be in at noon, I asked to make an appointment and they said "we don't usually do same day appointments" WTF how in the hell is someone supposed to get help if they have a problem.
Just imagine.... ring ring... Hi I think I have a raging STD infection.... oh I have to wait until next week... ok my FOAMING ANGRY VAGINA and I will wait ... for s***** sake!
I swear I will go to the office and just camp out with a good book and an angry uterus until a Dr see me!
*sigh* at this rate i might have to go to the ER because the only walk in clinics that take my insurance are a town or more away and in this weather thats a no and they may not even have a ultrasound and thats probably what i need. If I go to the ER I'm just going to rack up some giant bill that I CAN'T pay because my insurance SUCKS and only pays $600 on ER visits a year. its practically not worth having. ARG!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:32 pm

**hugs Kelly and Teresa**

Good luck to both of you.

Kelly, you know how much I hate pharmacies. I ended up having to switch because they wouldn't take my insurance anymore and I'm actually pretty damn happy about it. Can you take your business elsewhere?
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:29 pm

So I started Making phone calls, first office couldn't see me until the 31st a whole lot of good that would have done me... 5th office could see me on tuesday I made the appointment but continued on in hopes of better news. Last office on the list (9th) said they could see me next week and I broke water works came on and I said explained that I have called every office in town and no one can see me and its been DAYS and thankfully waterworks worked. The lady put me on hold for what seemed like forever and made me a 1:30 appointment.
It took 40 min to get the 1/2 inch think layer of solid ice off the car, and ALL of the street lights had no power but we finally made it.

I really liked the Dr I ended up seeing (not who they scheduled me with but I'm happy).

SO. I had an exam and everything looks normal, no yeast or bacterial infection, not preggers, cervix is normal, did the normal annual exam test just because she was done there why the heck not. my strings (IUDs have 2 little strings hanging off of them and they stick out of your cervix so you can make sure its still there and for some day removal purposes) were a little short so she defiantly wants to make sure it isn't making a break for my abdomen.
But there is tenderness and she can feel "something" on the left side of my uterus possibly near the ovary so I'm going to get an ultrasound tomorrow or monday or whenever the ultrasound office opens. stupid snow and ice.

I also discussed my lack of period with her and she says we can run blood work when this is all over with and figure that out. It may be Poly cystic ovarian syndrome which could also be causing the pain and the ultrasound will check for that too. so We'll see!

All and all very nice Doc, and its a family practice so I can go to her for normal stuff as well. She seems pretty not worried about it so i fell a bit better and she is willing to look into my period instead of brushing it off like every other doctor I've seen. So a little more waiting game while I wait to get an ultrasound but I'm feeling much less stressed because I got to see someone.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Great news! Let us know what you found out from the ultrasound (and eventually, blood work).

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Yay for nice doctors!

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Good luck!!

I have an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist next week. That sounds like I'm trying to get pregnant, which let's face it, is super hilarious.(Since I can't even say the word that starts with an S)
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Well i had my ultrasound today and the tech said my iUD was still in the right place "sitting in the middle". she said the dr would get a full report in 48 hours so i guess i'll know more then.. i'll write more later if we get internet (i'm on my phone). the crappy weather has it down but we still have power so its all good.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:19 pm

So I got the full results from the ultrasound today. no abnormalities found. Which is good news, but I still hurt and I'm waiting to hear back from the Dr as to what she wants to do next. Maybe I'm just getting used to it but the pain seems to be getting a little better.
Looks like I get to play the waiting game some more. woo :(

Edit: I have a follow up scheduled for Monday afternoon.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:19 am

So, a friend roped me into trying Zumba tomorrow/today with her. Another one of my friends remarked: "-____- Zumba is probably the most feminine thing you could participate in...even worse than cheerleading...lmao"

Thoughts on a guy doing Zumba?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:13 am

If it bothers you to be doing something so "feminine", then don't do it. But it really shouldn't. It's just an aerobics thing.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:09 pm

So, a friend roped me into trying Zumba tomorrow/today with her. Another one of my friends remarked: "-____- Zumba is probably the most feminine thing you could participate in...even worse than cheerleading...lmao"

I can pretty much promise that your friend has at least one guilty pleasure that's "feminine."

Who cares. I hear Zumba is fun and it gives you a hell of a workout.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Rebel against the idea that feminine=bad. It's what's wrong with the world.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm with Jan. What's wrong with doing something feminine? Why should anyone fear it?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Rebel against the idea that feminine=bad. It's what's one of the many things wrong with the world.
Fixed for truth.

I can't speak for Zumba because I've never done it and don't really know much about it. But I think "feminine" exercise/sport activities are much more demanding then most "male" ones. Namely, cheerleading (speculation because I've never done it) and yoga (I know damn well is more demanding).
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:58 pm

I love Zumba. Most of the classes I've been to are primarily women. I think most group exercise classes appeal to women. Maybe because men are afraid of looking stupid?

Zumba is one of the best workouts I've gotten (with the caveat that it depends on the instructor and the room leaving you enough space to really work out.) Zumba Toning is even better because it does mild strength training with the cardio.

I'd tell your friend to shove it.
-Kim

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:28 pm

I can pretty much promise that your friend has at least one guilty pleasure that's "feminine."

Who cares. I hear Zumba is fun and it gives you a hell of a workout.
Well yeah, since that other friend is also a girl. I think it's kind of ironic that you assumed she was a guy, since when I went to some of my guy friends and jokingly said, "Yeah, so I'm doing Zumba tomorrow...Am I still a man?" They said I should go for it, and that they'd hypothetically do it. Well, one of them asked if I liked the girl who I'm doing it with, and when I said no, called me a fag. But other than that...

Let me rephrase my question: This isn't a "convince CezeN to not be ashamed enough to do Zumba" post, as I'm confident enough in myself to not care much about anybody's hasty judgments. And I'm trying it either way. It's free after all.

This is a "What do you all, women particularly, think about guys who do Zumba?" post. I mean, I can't say it didn't "bother" me a little, at first. But mostly I think it'd be a funny experience shaking my hips and whatnot, that would make for hilarious story in the future.

However, I have to note that I disagree with Rei and Jayelle. I mean, I've taken Sociology...there is nothing intrinsically wrong with doing something feminine. However, we follow social norms everyday. We're molded into gender stereotypes ever since our parents were buying us either blue or pink. Feminine things being socially incorrect behavior for a man is no different than any of the other social norms we all follow. The idea isn't that feminine = bad, but that feminine is - as the very word - suggests something that only females are approved of doing in current society.

But back to my original question: I've asked real life people. Obviously I've gotten conflicting answers. I'm not sure what most of you all's answer is though, since some of you seem to be saying that specifically feminine isn't bad, while others are saying I should do it.

In terms of the exercise component of Zumba: I do play basketball for 2-3 hours at time [Edit]Thursdays, Tuesdays, and sometimes on the weekend and workout 3 times a week, so I'm moderately fit already. Plus, I'm in a martial arts class this semester. But again, that wasn't my original question.
Last edited by CezeN on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Rebel against the idea that feminine=bad. It's what's one of the many things wrong with the world.
Fixed for truth.

I can't speak for Zumba because I've never done it and don't really know much about it. But I think "feminine" exercise/sport activities are much more demanding then most "male" ones. Namely, cheerleading (speculation because I've never done it) and yoga (I know damn well is more demanding).
They are demanding in different ways.

Specifically, Yoga is more demanding in terms of flexibility than another sport or excercise that would be considered "male".

So, I gotta say I don't think it's as black and white as feminine activities are more demanding than male activities.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:42 pm

I mean, I've taken Sociology
Take another class; this was my minor and I can tell you right now, you've gotten the wrong message from it. It doesn't deem that social norms are right, it states that social norms are malleable and only what they are because people think they should be followed, which is not the same as them being right. A century ago, men wore dresses, which is not the social norm today. Pink wasn't just for girls. Etc, etc. Social norms change only when they are challenged, so if you think there is nothing bad in doing something feminine, that whatever that word implies, it shouldn't make you think you should avoid it because of what others expect.

Jan and Rei were entirely right in what they suggested.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 pm

I mean, I've taken Sociology
Take another class; this was my minor and I can tell you right now, you've gotten the wrong message from it. It doesn't deem that social norms are right, it states that social norms are malleable and only what they are because people think they should be followed, which is not the same as them being right. A century ago, men wore dresses, which is not the social norm today. Pink wasn't just for girls. Etc, etc. Social norms change only when they are challenged, so if you think there is nothing bad in doing something feminine, that whatever that word implies, it shouldn't make you think you should avoid it because of what others expect.

Jan and Rei were entirely right in what they suggested.
I never claimed that social norms were right, please point out the specific part of my post that gave you that idea.

Specifically, I said that "feminine" is something that females are approved of doing in current society. If men wore dresses a century ago, then that clearly wasn't something society considered feminine at that current time. Norms definitely reflect opinions and beliefs, and if you want to function in society, you have to be approved of by societies standards. Most grown adults are expected to work certain levels of jobs wearing professional clothing; it's a norm. People are going to frown down on you if you show up wearing a tight, sleeveless dress - male or female(depending on the job obviously). No, I wouldn't suggest people do that if they think there's nothing wrong with it personally, because they aren't living in a society composed of themself and only their opinions, but other people who affect their everyday life.

Jan and Rei were suggesting that the current idea is that feminine is bad or negative. Not true; feminine is simply things significant portions of society consider normal for a female to do, abnormal for a male to do. Do you think guys dislike feminine girls and want masculine ones? No.

Social norms change when they're challenged? No single individual by himself or herself is going to change a social norm by challenging it, so I hope you weren't implying that someone personally choosing that a norm isn't right for them is going to change anything. However, if social norms aren't right or wrong - why would anyone want to change a norm? Just to selfishly fit their own opinion instead of the opinions of the masses?

Last, I'm going to reiterate that it's going to be hard to interact socially with people if you don't follow something as fundamentally ingrained as gender appropriate actions.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm

What can I say about Zumba? According to my friends, the class I went to was easier than usual. And not legit Zumba. So, I'll excuse the fact that it was ridiculously easy and too pathetic for me to consider a serious cardio-workout... simply because the instructor that day was doing it wrong.

In terms of the experience? Horrible. I seriously underestimated how much booty shaking I'd be doing and how self-conscious I'd be in the moment. Also, I definitely should have snuck to the back instead of being near the front of 20 or so girls.

I'm just glad a put a fake name on the sign-in sheet, so that the fact I was there wasn't factually recorded. And, I think I convinced the four friends I knew there to scrub the night out of their memories. One of them bought me dinner afterwards, but I still want the two bags of Reeses she promised me.

Last, I cried myself to sleep in a puddle of ice cream.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:13 pm

I never claimed that social norms were right, please point out the specific part of my post that gave you that idea.
Feminine things being socially incorrect behavior for a man is no different than any of the other social norms we all follow.

So...social norms aren't right but it's incorrect for a man to participate/enjoy feminine things because it goes against social norms? Which is it, Cezen? Do you or do you not think that social norms being what they are are right or wrong? If they're not right, then to hell with what the "masses" think, it's not selfish to be true to who you are. It's also never just one person bucking against the masses, trying to challenge social norms.

It's a matter of things being the status quo for so long that generations of people have a hard time understanding how things outside that are not inherently wrong or evil. Like, black people being humans, women being equal to men, gay people not being evil people who corrupt the institution of marriage and the mental health of children, men who like to dress as women because they feel they were born more aligned with what is considered traditionally feminine are not the devil, women who like to play sports are not butch lesbians, boys who like to play with dolls are not sissies, etc.

None of those things would be okay now -hell, some still aren't because some people are close minded and others yet don't want to rock the socially norm but bull s*** boat- if it weren't for people challenging the norm.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 pm

One day it will be acceptable to stand in an elevator without facing the doors.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:55 pm

One day it will be acceptable to stand in an elevator without facing the doors.
Like that?

I can't tell if you're trying to suggest that norms might change to make that acceptable but it's still clearly "wrong" or what it is you're trying to say with that comment but I'd really have to argue, while it might be pointless or more work to face the doorless side only to have to turn again, it doesn't harm anyone, it doesn't stop the elevator from functioning, it doesn't stop anyone else from facing forward if that's how they're most comfortable, and it doesn't make one lick of difference which way you face while it's in motion, so long as you understand that getting in and out of the box requires use of the door. Basically, you can still function just fine without being the same as everyone else. And I'm not sure that's the best analogy for opposing anything I said.

If that's not what you're saying, then I'm at a loss but will chalk it up to you being a goofball and/or me liking to over-complicate things. :)

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I would argue what I have heard (possibly here, possibly elsewhere, I have forgotten): Until it is acceptable for men to participate in things that are feminine, we will not have gender equality. As things currently stand, as good as it has been that women are able to participate in masculine things, to a large degree people have been unknowingly or knowingly accepting women becoming more like men instead of women being equal to men. The strongest evidence of this is the disdain that is still so socially acceptable to feel towards men who participate in feminine things, things that make them girls, their status reduced.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”