Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 pm

I thought it was sweet, but it's not something I'd want for myself.

I should also say that my opinion was swayed because it appears that the audience in the movie theatre was made up of her friends and family. If it were a regular audience of strangers I would be less charmed by it.

He obviously put a lot of effort into it, and she was clearly touched. Good for them.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 19, 2011 8:27 pm

I saw this one just earlier today and expected it to be the same one when I first saw your post.

I thought, in both cases, that it was a romantic idea but an excessive gesture.

Personally, even if it was mostly/entirely family witnessing it, I would not want to be the center of that much attention and would much prefer it be kept between the fellow and myself. I would hope for it to be personal and thoughtful but being those two things does not exclude its also being simple.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu May 19, 2011 8:44 pm

That trailer was MUCH better than the one I posted.

As for my 2 cents, nice gesture but I am adamantly against proposals that put the poor girl on the spot in front of people, whether they be strangers or family/friends, so that she feels that she can't say "no" if she needs to. I'd go for simple and private.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 pm

I think it would totally depend on the girl. Some girls would eat it up. If the girl is embarrassed by it, you obviously don't know her well enough to be proposing marriage. Brian always said that he didn't intend to propose to anyone until he knew 100% that she'd say yes.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:03 pm

It was cute, but not a proposal I would like. I'm not a fan of long drawn out proposals in general. Just tell me you love me and ask. Put some thought into it, but simple is perfect. And do NOT do it in front of people. But that's just me.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Just tell me you love me and ask.
The extent to which I would want it quite that simple depends on the man in question. If he were naturally a romantic type, doing literally this would probably suffice; I'd have however long he stayed in love with me to get the romance, so no need to spend it all on the proposal. If he wasn't naturally romantic, I'd expect more of it then, since I would expect it to be few and far between later; what better reason to get a little mushier than normal than a proposal?

Either way, I'd still want simple in general. Just more or less cheese.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri May 20, 2011 11:06 pm

That trailer was MUCH better than the one I posted.
I think you're missing the most important part of the trailer that you posted. It contains video proof that the father approves the marriage.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat May 21, 2011 8:24 am

Speaking of proposals: David is away fishing until Tuesday, so last night we went out to dinner before he left. We were chatting about all the things he plans to do (David is a notorious planner. We are booked solid through September. No joke) when he gets back. He pulled out a list (He's also a fastidious list-maker). The following happened in slow-motion, I swear. I reached for the list and he started to hand it to me. I have never met anyone who reads faster than I do. Before my fingers even touched the paper I had already read over half the list, stopping abruptly at this item:

"Get the ring."

Just as my brain was registering those words, a look of total horror came over David's face and he snatched the list back and shoved it into his wallet.

"Nevermind. You don't need to see that," he said, blushing.

"David V_____!" I said. "You have a secret!"

I teased him to tell me what it was, and he teased me to mind my own business and then we grinned at each other like idiots for the rest of the evening.

Now, I would not at all put it past me to have completely hallucinated those words, especially as I've told David in the past that I do not need a ring if our financial situation doesn't make it practical. I'd marry that man with a cigar band. But given his reaction, I think I may have read correctly. Of course, "ring" could mean something entirely different and I am just jumping to conclusions because I have epic cases of wedding and baby-fever, both.

I don't know.

Either way, I feel sort of goofy, and floaty, and giggly, and happy and yet I sort of wish desperately that the whole thing never happened, because, my expectations just absolutely received a shot of adrenaline. And if he really is being the best boyfriend ever and waiting to propose until we're back in Boston this summer, then, oh, the waiting will be agony!

:::headdesk:::
Last edited by Young Val on Sat May 21, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat May 21, 2011 11:32 am

*girly squeals for Kelly*
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat May 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Eeeeeee!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:16 pm

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat May 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Haha, I am going to feel so, so lame if "get the ring" refers to like, downloading a ringtone for his phone or something.

Thanks for enthusiasm! Hopefully I'll have good news to share with all of you soon! (Or else David will have an awesome new ringtone. Whichever!).
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat May 21, 2011 4:12 pm

*many hugs for Kelly*

I do hope it is more than a ringtone! :)

Week 17 - All of a sudden, everything feels awkward. I know it gets much, much worse than this, and that is somewhat terrifying. I suddenly can't sleep or snuggle the same, and anything that needs my core muscles suffers. Today I got stuck in a desk chair at work. Stuck. My lower back seized up again.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 pm

I hope it's what we're all hoping for, Miss Kelly!!!!!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue May 24, 2011 3:18 pm

I have now gotten four female friends to switch to cups, which makes me very happy. I don't know why but I want to tell every woman I know about them! Except I gave away my backup (it was unused) and now I want to get another one because I hate the idea of something happening to mine and having to go back to disposables. Deciding between getting another LadyCup since I already know that works for me, or trying a Soft Meluna just to switch it up.

ETA:
This is the hysterically bizarre sticker that LadyCup includes with their cups (and that is a lovely cat hair on the scan...darn cats!):

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue May 24, 2011 4:38 pm

The cramping, oh the cramping! I don't know why it's so bad after the last baby. They were a lot milder between the boys and K. Now they are back to miserable. I hope after the last one, I'll have mild ones again, since I won't be able to get pregnant to stop the cramping. (Yes, i'm considering getting pregnant during my next cycle, just to stop this insane cramping!!!)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Why can't I start bleeeeding already? I've gone through all the fun precursors.

My periods annoy me. I can count on them having the same start date for a few months to about a half a year, and they'll do some slight shifting in that time but mostly predictable and on time, but then they'll decide to shift a good week or so back. I really don't want that happening. In general, I find it annoying and I can get over it but I really don't want to be traveling in a few months on my period and if it keeps pushing itself back, I will be and that would suck major popsicles.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed May 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Come on, nobody else found that sticker bizarrely funny/weird? :D

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 am

I found it alarmingly chipper!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 26, 2011 7:09 am

"Bizarrely weird", yes. They're coming to get me!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat May 28, 2011 10:56 am

I'm getting married in 13 days.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat May 28, 2011 4:35 pm

:D

That is very exciting!
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat May 28, 2011 6:47 pm

Congratulations!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Sun May 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Since my last post in here, I have, in fact, started bleeding. The way I was starting to worry if I'd ever have it again/be "blessed" by its presence in May, you'd think I was having a pregnancy scare. Alas, you need to have sex for that to be a problem, typically, and the last time that happened...well, I'd have a kid just about in kindergarten if that were the case.

The truth of it is, I was just having a spectacularly stressful and physically/mentally draining week and that was just one more thing to get all stressed about. Because when I'm stressed, adding to it somehow seems like a brilliant idea.

Speaking of sex, I would like some, please. Very much. Periods are always the worst for this feeling and I always end up thinking this must be what teenage boys feel like all the time. Besides the obvious way of dealing with it (and I do, even while on my period!), mostly I lay around staring into space, thinking up very sweet, then rabid and raunchy, then very sweet things to do with a male. I keep thinking I should start writing this stuff down again and then passing it along to a like-minded female friend, like I did in high school -because laughing over obviously over-the-top and not so over-the-top amateur literotica is fun- but then I remember I don't really have any friends like that and so I keep it all in my head.

Speaking of head...no, just kidding.

Unrelated to all that, after a few weeks, maybe a month, without a scale, we finally got a replacement for the old one and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I am only 3lbs up from my happy weight and given I am, for the umpteenth time in this post, still on my period, I consider this a victory. I should drop at least a pound or two after. The funny thing is, there is hardly, if any, physical difference in my body between my happy weight and the weight I was approaching when I realized I was going to have to stop being a lazy porker. I'm just happier at one number than the other. Probably because I know that I'm not much/at all different for those two numbers but obviously, the heavier I get, the less true that will be.

Anyhow, this TMI brought to you by: you all have been quiet, so my head thinks it is safe to say s*** like this.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 pm

what teenage boys feel like all the time
not just teenage ones. i'm just about going crazy with the divorce and all. it's been waaaaaay too long. but since we're just legally separated now. and not completely divorced and even though i can do whatever i want with whomever i want, i still feel weirdly guilty when i go out with friends and even think about talking up some girl. suuuuucks. i just hope that guilty feeling passes after the divorce is final.

and now it's been like 8 years since i've been on a date. i feel like i'm getting older, and i'm 30 pounds heavier than i was the last time i was on a date. sucks to be 31 and have to start getting back into that scene.

thank god i've lost 35 pounds so far this year. makes me feel a lot better. plus the new job and all. my confidence isn't completely shot. thank goodness.
Ubernaustrum

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon May 30, 2011 12:36 am

sucks to be 31 and have to start getting back into that scene.
I'm 28 and I haven't successfully navigated that scene once yet. All my dating experience is...atypical, we'll say. I think I will keel over if I ever have anything resembling a normal, healthy relationship. Hell, I think I'd keel over if a boy ever genuinely liked me, without even trying to take it to a relationship.

I have been informed I "have a bad attitude." This is probably not far from the truth.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Dear world,

Dressing like a girl doesn't make you gay. Being gay doesn't make you bad. Being gay doesn't make you female. Being female doesn't make you bad.

There is no need to worry about your boy wearing pink, playing with pink-washed toys, wearing purple (!) or playing with a doll.

And while we're at it, a girl doesn't need a pink toolbox, a princess fishing rod and her own special doctor's kit. Screw you, world, and your deep seeded misogyny.

-a mother
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Amen to that.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:26 am

So very true. This kind of misogyny will only be defeated when it is OK for guys to be associated with feminine things.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 am

While you guys fight the fight against pink and for men in skirts, I'll be taking up the mantle for non-traditional adult female roles, as pertaining to romantic relationships and child-bearing.

For the love of all that is holy, why do people have to first of all ask about my children/husband, as if every woman my age should have one or both, and then secondly act all surprised when I tell them I have neither?

As much as I'd like a boyfriend -the jury is out on the husband bit- it is not the driving force in my life. I have interests and hobbies and a job, the majority of which don't revolve around men and my relationship with or to them. This does not make me a freak, so why the surprise?!

I'm sure at least one person is thinking I'm full of s*** but whatever.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:54 am

Oh you're definately full of s*** and a freak, but not because of that. :P
The enemy's fly is down.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh you're definately full of s*** and a freak, but not because of that. :P
Touché, my zombie friend. :P

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:15 pm

For the love of all that is holy, why do people have to first of all ask about my children/husband, as if every woman my age should have one or both, and then secondly act all surprised when I tell them I have neither?
On the flip side of this, I get shocked reactions on the topic of how young I got married and how many kids I have at my age. It's really annoying that it's wrong (according to annoying people in society) to be unmarried by your 30, but it's also wrong to be married with kids in your mid-20's. When the heck is it supposed to happen? Some magical 6 month window somewhere in the middle?

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:36 pm

I spent the last week with my cousin, who is 30, has an okay career but is thinking of going back to school to become an ER doctor, and is desperately worried she's giving up her personal life/chance to have children if she does this. I hope to not have to worry about these things until then but it sucks that it is so either/or at this point for her, with how many years she'd have to commit (because her current work would pay for it, if she commits even more years post-school/internship/residency etc).

Lately, though, I confess, I've become mildly obsessed with the idea of getting a boyfriend because the whole thing is so antithetical to my usual way of going about these things.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:46 am

This reminded me of Jan's post in here; it made me very sad at the levels of unnecessarily tragic this reached.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”