Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:38 pm

I asked Rei about this this morning. I generally don't refer to myself as "fine." If I'm "not fine but I will be eventually", I say that. If I'm genuinely okay and just quiet or something, I'll say "I'm good" or similar.

I believe in being honest with Rei especially, so when I'm not even sure what I'm feeling, I'll just tell him that.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 am

I'm trying to think if I still use that word, really. I'm reasonably sure that in the past I have used 'fine' to mean "I'm far from fine but there's not a whole hell of a lot that anyone can do about it right now and it's best not discussed and I don't want to drag you into it." That particular meaning, however, has largely been reserved for people with whom I am less close and naturally would not want to dump a huge emotional load onto.

As to whether I still use the word 'fine' and whether it still has that meaning when I say it, I am not sure.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:49 pm

I asked Rei about this this morning. I generally don't refer to myself as "fine." If I'm "not fine but I will be eventually", I say that. If I'm genuinely okay and just quiet or something, I'll say "I'm good" or similar.

I believe in being honest with Rei especially, so when I'm not even sure what I'm feeling, I'll just tell him that.
See, now that makes sense and works well for all parties involved.

Hey, Rei. I think this one is a keeper. :wink:
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm trying to think if I still use that word, really. I'm reasonably sure that in the past I have used 'fine' to mean "I'm far from fine but there's not a whole hell of a lot that anyone can do about it right now and it's best not discussed and I don't want to drag you into it." That particular meaning, however, has largely been reserved for people with whom I am less close and naturally would not want to dump a huge emotional load onto.
That's usually how I use it. If I don't want to dump everything on someone, I say "fine" as "It's not your concern. I'll deal with it." People I actually care about being open and honest with don't usually get that treatment. I think I have used it as a "We'll address this later" type of thing, though I usually just say that.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:12 pm

I should add that people I know less well will usually get "I'm okay" or something because there's no need for them to know or care or be burdened by it. But people who might genuinely care, they'll get a weird and straightforward answer.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm apt to agree ;)
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:43 pm

For a second I thought it made a lot more sense to just start saying this when people ask how I'm doing. But then I realized responding with "I don't know" sounds like I'm really depressed or not-genial. Maybe I'll start going with "probably well", instead of either lying or stopping to think how I actually feel (my current undesirable go-to responses).
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:34 pm

This is the second time in the last few months that my period has been almost over, when it starts anew. It usually lasts about 4 days but now at the end of the fourth day, the bleeding starts heavily like it was the first day all over again, cramps and all. This is ridiculous!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:01 am

irrationally angry at the post office a few weeks ago because I thought I'd been screwed over and an important package wasn't going to arrive before new years. I was swearing pretty prolifically and knew it was bugging renee. Being a person who hates the passive aggressive phrases like "I'm Fine." I paused mid swearing to say, "I'm not really angry, except maybe at myself; I just have to vent for a little bit. I'll be back to normal in about ten minutes." and then swore a bit more and fumed for a few minutes and then I was fine. ;)

So that's the sort of thing I say.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 am

Two f****** months in a row! Goddamn it, goddamn it all to hell! ARGH.

Allow me to clarify.

For YEARS now, literally YEARS, my period has been on a 28 day cycle. Oh, sure, there have been minor deviations -- maybe 27 or 29 days, but that's it. But now, for two months in a row it has showed up FIVE DAYS EARLY. That's right. I am apparently now on a 23 day cycle. That's basically just three weeks! And since my breasts get tender and sore and miserable at least a week before my period starts, I get one week out of five now, instead of one week out of four, where everything feels fine and nothing is hurting. Plus PMS moods every three weeks instead of every four. Plus ruining my birthday and Valentines day, although it probably won't affect my husband's birthday.

I am SO annoyed. Very, very, very annoyed. Mucho pissed off.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:29 pm

I hear you. My cycle has been an average of 25 days (but often 23 days) for many years. And since I also get the week of sore breasts and depression, it really sucks.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:06 pm

When I was in college, my cycle was about 5 weeks. I went on BC to try and help with intense cramps and the BC did nothing for the cramps, but then I had a 4 week cycle instead of a 5 week, so I quit the BC. I miss those days of the 5 week cycle!

Now, I'm so sporadic! And there's no telling how long it will be until it's on a steady cycle. My first one post partum was pretty intense, and then a really light one 2 weeks later. This one is 4 weeks later and it's seriously going to kill me. I got up in the middle of the night, took Ibuprofen and Acetaminpohen and still ended up in a warm bath to calm to cramping enough to sleep. I don't think I've ever bled so much so quickly before.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 pm

I went to the mall with a friend and her twin 9yo daughters the other day. One of the girls was looking for some sneakers, so we went to Journeys Kidz. I immediately saw a pair that I loved but they had to order them in my size. I only own two pairs of winter shoes and two pairs of summer shoes (other than dress shoes), so it's rare for me to buy shoes. Here they are, I'm so excited about them coming in the mail.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:09 am

Very fun!
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Ever since Kirsten started asking about haircuts, I've been sorely tempted to chop mine off.

Well...that wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

I chopped mine off. As in, about 12 inches all gone. After two days of it, I have come to the conclusion that I look kind of silly, or at least not nearly as good as I do with those 12 inches there. Ah well. It'll grow back.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Aw, I hate when that happens! I hope you find a way to like it until it grows back. I'm in the phase where I want to grow mine out but I also want to get it cut a bit to make it look less shaggy while it's growing out.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Did you donate the 12 inches?

I'm kinda regretting my haircut (of 10 inches), but I think I just need to go shorter... and go to a salon that charges more then $15.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:36 pm

i wanna see pictures.
Ubernaustrum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 pm

and go to a salon that charges more then $15.
This...for me. I'm willing to pay the money but I have no idea how to pick a stylist/salon. Maybe I should start looking at the hair of strangers and asking where they got it cut (if I like it).

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Did you donate the 12 inches?
No.
Hair may be colored with vegetable dyes, rinses and semi-permanent dyes. It cannot be bleached, permanently colored or chemically treated.
Mine wasn't entirely bleached but I had bleached it and dyed it recently enough to figure they wouldn't take it. I'm going to feel kind of awful if the strands weren't enough for them to turn it down.

That is my hair still damp. To get a good idea of it dry, think Flock of Seagulls meets afro. Volume is so not the problem for me right now and best (read: worst) of all, I can't stick it in a ponytail as a means of controlling it; it falls right out of the tie.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 pm

aw c'mon, it looks cute.

you should try some anti-frizz spray, should help with it fro-ing out. works for my sister's hair, and it looks like you have very similar hair.
Ubernaustrum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:00 am

I think it's cute! (Although I too have been the self-victim of an haircut.) It's a lot of work, but I bet finger waves would look adorable on you with that length!

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:37 am

It really does look cute. That said, yeah, it's probably a lot more work to keep it in line now (which is why I finally have my hair grown out after a lifetime of dealing with unruly short hair). And yes, if you had the time for it, I'm totally with Ali in that finger waves would look very good.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 am

I think it looks cute too! But I can totally relate to the nice-when-damp, frizzy-when-dry. I have super thick hair and it does the same thing. Very annoying.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 am

Alea, you totally have the cute girl-next-door thing going on. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:48 am

I think it looks great, too!

I know so very well the trials and tribulations of bushy, frizzy, out of control hair. It's really only in the last few years I feel like I've been able to coax any sort of compliance out of my hair, and have eventually come to satisfactory compromises with it. But there are PLENTY of days my hair tells me to F off. (Today, for example. Ugh).
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 pm

I also think it's cute! Mine has been out of control lately, and I feel like no matter what I do there is always a ton of frizz.

Grrrrr
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:24 pm

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:59 pm

as you get older do periods get better worse or stay the same?
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:18 pm

as you get older do periods get better worse or stay the same?
It really depends! For some women, they get better. For other women, they get worse.

Mine got progressively worse until I got on birth control. They've been not so bad since then.
-Kim

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:20 pm

I see.
When in need, you must be the savior to your kind. When not, you must conquer and take charge.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:33 pm

It really can change a lot. Mine were pretty severe as a teenager and mellowed out as I aged into my mid-twenties. The 2 I've had since baby number 3 have been pretty darn bad again. If yours are seriously bad, I would talk to your parents and your doctor about trying out some low dose BC to see if it helps. For me, the only thing it did was put me on a 4 week cycle instead of a 5 week cycle. It didn't help with the intensity at all, so I stopped taking it. (Until I got married, that is.) But, it might be worth a try for you. Please talk to your parents about it before pursuing any such options, though. If they are only kind of bad, I would get some good drugs, a heating pad and stretch out well (curling up can make it worse) to help manage the pain.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Also, a good recommendation to help decrease the intensity is to take an NSAID (so, ibuprofen, advil, etc... NOT tylenol) BEFORE you start to have cramps/pain/diarrhea. Those things are caused by your body releasing prostaglandins to make your uterus squeeze all the icky stuff out. So, taking an NSAID before the prostaglandin release inhibits the release and helps to keep the period side effects at a managable level.
-Kim

zeldagirl1234
Soldier
Soldier

Postby zeldagirl1234 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:39 pm

okay, thanks!! :D I actually tried Pamprin once and it worked well, I don't know if it was the pill or if it was just a coincidence.

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:12 pm

*Enters sheepishly*

Though, perhaps you might enjoy this
Benefits of Being a Female

- We got off the Titanic first.

- We can scare (and confuse) male bosses with mysterious gynecological disorder excuses.

- Females can be groupies. Male groupies are stalkers.

- We can cry and get out of speeding fines. If a man cries to get out of a ticket, well, that's just weird.

- Our boyfriends/husbands clothes make us look gorgeous! You guys look strange in ours.

- Taxis stop for us. We always text the ID number of the driver to a friend in case we go missing, but, hey, they stop for us.

- Men die earlier, so we get to cash in on the life insurance.

- Free drinks. Free dinners. Free movies (you get the point).

- If we're not making enough money we can blame the glass ceiling.

- No fashion faux pas we make could ever rival the Speedo. The ones who should wear them don't and the ones who shouldn't always do. 'Nuff said.

- Our friends won't think we're weird if we ask whether there's spinach in our teeth.

- If we marry someone 20 years younger, we're aware of how it looks.

- We never have to wonder if our friends washed their hands after using the bathroom.

- We'll never regret piercing our ears.

- We'll never discover we've been duped by a Wonderbra.
*quickly leaves*
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Return to “Milagre Town Square”