Girly Stuff

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:33 pm

I've personally never heard of anyone using honey in the shower before, but then again it might just be something no one's ever brought up before.

I mean, as long as it's not hurting her (and i've done absolutely no research on this, or even heard of it so I have no clue if it could) and she's paying for the honey, I would just let it go.

Although I can see the use of the kitchen honey as frustrating. It doesn't go back in the kitchen after that, does it?
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:43 pm

She's using it as lube for masturbation.

Also, do you use honey so often that you have to keep "kitchen honey" around at all times?

I haven't used or had honey around for months, if not longer. Who uses honey regularly?
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Although I can see the use of the kitchen honey as frustrating. It doesn't go back in the kitchen after that, does it?
No, no it does not.
Who uses honey regularly?
My sister, obviously.

No, but I actually switch between honey, maple syrup, and agave nectar as a replacement for sugar quite often.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 am

For reference then:

(Glycemic Index)/(Serving size)/(Carbs per serving)/(Glycemic Load)/(Calories)
-----------------------------------------------GI------grams-----carbs----GL------Cal
Honey, Pure-------------------------------58---------10---------9--------12-------30
Maple flavored syrup--------------------68---------10---------9--------15-------26
Agave nectar-----------------------------19---------10----------8---------2-------29
Sugar (pure sucrose)-------------------60---------10---------10---------6-------38
Pure glucose-----------------------------100--------10---------10--------10------40

Sub 55 GI = considered Low GI
55-70 GI = considered Mid GI
+70 GI = considered High GI
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:15 am

Also, do you use honey so often that you have to keep "kitchen honey" around at all times?

I haven't used or had honey around for months, if not longer. Who uses honey regularly?
Uh, lots of people. I use honey in hot tea quite often. I always have honey in my kitchen and I would think lots of people do.

Anyway, Wil, I would agree with Fred. If she uses honey that she pays for, let it go and don't bug her. But if she runs out, ask her to not use the family/kitchen honey.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 am

I've never heard of that... it does seem a bit weird.

Also, honey doesn't go bad. It can get crystally, but that isn't "bad".
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:33 am

I buy honey at Costco and have it on hand at all times. I bake with it, I eat it on my baking, I cook with it sometimes.

As for yeast infections, I am one of the unlucky few who have recurrent yeast infections. After I stopped nursing Brayden until the time I got pregnant with Kinley, I had one every month. That was 9 in 9 months. Horrible.

Personally, I would be hesitant to use honey in treating/preventing yeast. Although it does have some great natural antibiotic properties, yeast eat sugar (and then burp it out and multiply. That's how your bread rises) and honey is sugar.

I would also hesitate to make an issue of it with your sister. It would be quite awkward, embarrassing to talk about with my brothers. If she's not having infections, I'd leave it alone. But do ask her not to use the honey from the kitchen, as that does affect the whole family. If she starts having recurrent infections and she's looking for something natural to help, I would suggest an aloe plant or a soap that has Tea Tree Oil in it.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Honey sounds like a terrible idea to me. Why not just eat some yoghurt (also good for preventing yeast infections, and less sticky)?

Also, honey can go off. Mostly our tastebuds can't tell the difference, so it's perfectly fine to eat, and won't make you sick at all, but for something like meadmaking, it's very important to use fresh honey.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:09 pm

I made it almost 10 months without menstruating, and if my body had waited just ONE more day, I would have made it through all of 2010 without menstruating. Anyways, it looks like it's starting again, just 2 weeks after my first one. I'm not happy about this!! Grrrrrr!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:20 pm

I made it almost 10 months without menstruating, and if my body had waited just ONE more day, I would have made it through all of 2010 without menstruating. Anyways, it looks like it's starting again, just 2 weeks after my first one. I'm not happy about this!! Grrrrrr!
Did it start again from stopping breastfeeding?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:31 pm

No, I'm still BF, and I plan to until a year. I was hoping it would hold off until then. I know I really shouldn't complain, especially since my sister didn't get a break at all, but I'm frustrated!!!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Usually the worst of my period pains are mental but I'll be damned if I didn't wake up very early in the morning from the most brutal, "Good morning, happy period!" cramps I've experienced in a long, long time.

I knew it was coming -just because it should be, tender breasts, etc.- so I wasn't shocked by it starting, just by the intensity and sudden onset of the cramps. I felt like throwing up for most of the morning (even after I arrived at work) and felt almost feverish.

Blegh.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:48 pm

That sucks. I hate cramps. Boys are stupid. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 pm

True story, on that last point, but darn it all to heck if I don't like them in general, anyway. No periods or cramps, no leg-shaving, no [other bad or obnoxious stuff here]...buggers.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:05 am

Do you subscribe to the Freudian theory of penis envy... Because I think I want one. Oh not to be a boy, but you must admit that our feminine plumbing and lady parts are absurdly complicated by comparison.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:58 am

Moving back here, I discovered a small stash of pads and stuff. I've been using the diva cup and fabric pads for over a year now, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the stuff. I guess I'll put a couple in a purse/bag for emergencies?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:03 am

I kept my disposable stash around for a year or so and then eventually just gave away or threw away. I've been using a cup now for 2.5 years (I think). It so rocks!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:25 am

There's only a small amount, so I will maybe try to use them up. I hate waste, and not wasting is part of why I got into the reusable thing in the first place.

But MAN I love not having to stock up anymore! I do love the reusable products!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:45 pm

I gave away any disposables I had that were usable, to friends that still used them. The only thing I threw away were ones that had been floating around in my purse and were too worn out to be given away (packaging torn/frayed, etc.).

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Oh boy, oh boy, I have to say: I was born to wear blue streaks in my hair. Well worth the hours it took to get done and the waking up early.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Requesting picture!

... of the hair, not the girly stuff above. Just thought I'd clarify!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:57 pm

Oh boy, oh boy, I have to say: I was born to wear blue streaks in my hair. Well worth the hours it took to get done and the waking up early.
I WANT TO SEE!

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:56 pm

I WANT TO SEE!
ME TOO!!!!!!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:03 pm

I have to seeeeee!!!!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Try not to be too underwhelmed; I think they look pretty cool in person but it is hard to get it in a picture.

Farther, hair down:

Closer, hair pulled back:

It's pretty subtle indoors (this is good for work purposes) but it has some good pop to it in outdoor lighting. My favorite, though, is seeing it when my hair is wet. My hair itself looks black, the blue looks darker, it all looks sleek...I like this enough that I'm considering cutting my hair down to shoulder or above shoulder length and doing the whole thing in blue.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Awesome!

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Awesome! I'm so impressed that you did it, I would never be brave enough. But that's coming from a person who has never dyed her hair, even a regular color.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:27 pm

I love it! I like that it's not in huge chunks (I see that a lot around here), it's pretty.

Mitchi
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mitchi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:11 am

that looks awesome. makes me want to color my hair again, but I hate the hassle (I used to have it in got pink).
-Because you protected this ephemerally floating world by your own hand
Now simply fold your wings and sleep restfully
Be wrapped up in an eternal tranquility, and love through all eternity

Sleep, by this hand of mine that gently watches over you
I remember you laughing, you crying, you angry
I will never forget for all time until my life is exhausted-

-Kimi ni Kioku, Persona 3-

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 pm

This past weekend, I stayed at my brother's house and ended up sleeping on the floor, at my insistence. It's a bachelor/student place, furniture isn't really in abundance and if I didn't sleep on the floor, it would mean he had to and I was about to displace him from his own room. He asked me, when I was all settled into my little nest of blankets if it was comfortable and I told him, "I'm fine." He asked again and I told him, "I told you, I'm fine. It's fine."

He goes into a rant about how his ex used to say that all the time, specifically when she wasn't fine, always when she was pissed off or hurt or otherwise unhappy, so he hates the phrase in general, coming from anyone.

I got to wondering if I do that to boy-people in my life and I realized I do, only my phrase is "It's not important," "It doesn't matter," or "No importa." That signals we've now moved passed the point of my being able to attempt mature conversation, no matter how much I realize that's when it's most needed, and I'm ready to drop the conversation and silently rage and shoot daggers. This is very passive aggressive and it's pretty hard to get me upset to the point where I don't want to deal with something, but sometimes I find it is the lesser of two evils.

The next day I told my brother that that indicates to me I am going to be one of those bitches I see in movies that I can't stand.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 pm

I've never met anyone who says "I'm fine" and actually means they're ok. But I don't think it's always evil.

I say "I'm fine" as code for "I'm not ok, but I will be." Generally it's for things that I'm a little annoyed about but that I already recognize that it's me/situational/not something I'd normally be upset about and that doing anything else would just make it a bigger deal and drag it out longer.
-Kim

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Then what do you people say when you're actually fine, and is it really that hard to just say how you really feel?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 pm

Something along the lines of "that's good/that's great/perfect"... pretty much anything but fine. Fine gets used almost unconsciously when it would just be more hassle to say something like "No, I don't want to watch what you want to watch on TV, but I normally like that show I'm just feeling crabby right now" than to say "that's fine."
-Kim

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 pm

i say "fine and dandy" when i really am fine and dandy.

maybe it's about how often you say the word. cuz sometimes i'll say fine, fine. and it's truly fine. but fine fine fine is no good at all. or with punctuation is a bad thing... fine!

and then there's times where i'm loaning out a pen and am asked what the tip is. and i say fine. but that's ok too.
Ubernaustrum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”