A question about Moses and God...(Not for the non-believers)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

A question about Moses and God...(Not for the non-believers)

Postby Seiryu » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:38 pm

We got into a disccusion earlier (breaking away from the topic) in my bible study class about this passage and I want your opinion on it:

(From the NIV bible): Exodus 32:7-14

7 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, 'These are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.'

9 "I have seen these people," the LORD said to Moses, "and they are a stiff-necked people. 10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation."

11 But Moses sought the favor of the LORD his God. "O LORD," he said, "why should your anger burn against your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians say, 'It was with evil intent that he brought them out, to kill them in the mountains and to wipe them off the face of the earth'? Turn from your fierce anger; relent and do not bring disaster on your people. 13 Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac and Israel, to whom you swore by your own self: 'I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and I will give your descendants all this land I promised them, and it will be their inheritance forever.' " 14 Then the LORD relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.

Alright, so what I'm thinking and what I said was that God never actually SAID He was going to destroy the Israelites, but said for him to go away so that he could do it if He decided to, not a promise to destroy it or anything like that. (Sure it says that He relented at the end, but this is in Moses's words.) But the people at my bible study said that it would be a lie if God said that he'd destroy it and so forth. I'm not saying that He was angry, but that He definitely would is an assumed thing.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”