Rap/Hip-Hop fans

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:06 am

lame

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:18 am

Is that a no?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:30 am

Are you f***ing retarded? "no" is spelled "n-o", not "l-a-m-e".

Also, in case you were wondering, there are rappers who use their real names, with no stupid spellings. Mike Jones (though I dislike his music), Beanie Siegel (who I mentioned before), etc. If you were trying to imply that all (or most) rappers make up stupid, arbitrary stage-names with wierd spellings, I won't contest that point. But how many rock bands have stupid, wierd spelled names? Linkin Park? Led Zepellin? Staind? The list goes on and on.....

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:36 am

We aren't talking about rock, now are we? Or can you not read a thread title?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:36 am

Linkin Park doesn't count.

It's Led Zeppelin. It's spelled properly, get over it. It's only spelled wrong when you type it wrong.

Staind: you win, but 2/3 still sucks. Get better at this, and you might have a chance at getting respected as well.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 am

The f*ing POINT is that a lot of artists, regardless of genre, use fake stage-names, and that H_K is a f*ing moron for trying to be funny with:
Now what I want is a rapper that can actually spell his name right. Do any of those exist?
And eri, if I wanted respect from you, I'd be a f*ing loser. No one wants your respect. No one needs your respect; and anyone who actively seeks it is retarded. You have the most posts out of anyone on this entire f***ing board (about 400 more than #2)- have a life much?

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:43 am

I think the guy who stops his other username at "666" doesn't really have room to criticize.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:46 am

Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:48 am

shall I delete that post then?

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:50 am

Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:51 am

damn. you can't delete posts on pwebIII, i forgot. It's pretty lame.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:54 am

Last edited by AnthonyByakko on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:55 am

You can, but i don't really feel like it.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:20 am

Your ignorance surprises me in ways I never thought possible, even from you.

I refrain from defining who "you" is as it applies to more than one username.

Music. What is music? Well, you could read this to define what music. You could read a dictionary which cites:
an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner
Going by that second definition; rap is music. It is an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner. If you're going to argue that it's not artistic, I challenge you to do the same to a poet. Isn't that all music is? Poetry recited with instruments before it?

Music, as instumental tones in a structured and continuous manner; means that electronica, rock, rap, classical, whatever - is all music.

The argument should be whether or not it is GOOD music, however everyone here should be aware that good is a very relative term and is impossible to define.

I mean, I'd like to tell "Guest" that some of his choices of rappers who "don't suck" do, indeed, suck. But, just because I think they suck doesn't mean that I've gotta shove that down his throat.

Are you seriously going to pick on rappers for having stage names with creative spellings or the like? I mean, come on. What the f*** is an AC/DC anyways? Does it really matter that much what their name is?

And, for what it's worth - though Fiasco isn't his real last name, his given name Wasalu Muhammad Jaco isn't a whole lot "better spelled" by your standards.

You guys make me ashamed to have ever been a large part of this "community"
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:28 am

We're one big happily dysfunctional family.
The enemy's fly is down.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:43 am

1.) What part of *any* "music" makes it "music"?
The only qualifier for "music" as an "artform" is in the subject listener's mind. All this argument about instruments vs. sampled beats and whatnot is arbitrary and pointless. The only value in the actual "music" part of a song (disregarding, the for sake of argument, lyrics/words/voice), is in it's subjective aesthetics. There is no other. Saying that music has to have live-play instruments, either because it's "harder" or "more artistic" or whatever, is like saying one type of food tastes better because it's harder to make than another. Getting into the concept of the vocals/lyrics, the only qualifiers in it are twofold: their harmony/synergy with the "music" portion (i.e., does it enhance and flow well with the sound), and whether the words connect with the listener in a substantive, meaningful manner. This is the most confusing portion, in my opinion; what topics, concepts, and communication in one person's experience seems meaningful and uplifting, might seem absurd and disconnected in another person's experience. However, the best artists (in any genre) find ways to connect with a broad stroke of individuals through universal topics; ones that many (if not most) people can identify with. If you find that you rap music is aesthetically displeasing, or are unable to identify with a rap songs concepts, then you simply don't listen to rap. Don't try and explain away your incompatibility with it as some kind of deficiency, flaw or lack of artistic talent in the creator of the song(s). Lastly, anyone here who feels that they could accomplish success in *any* music genre (let alone rap) is sorely delusional, as I suspect if you had that capability, you wouldn't be wasting your f***ing time here.
2.) No one can tell you, or anyone else for that matter, what rap (or any music) you "should" listen to. You "should" listen to whatever floats your boat. You might wish to *try* some artists I suggest, to see if they are pleasing to you, but what you do is your own choice.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:26 am

To paraphrase: everything's relative.
The enemy's fly is down.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:20 am

Jayelle-as-mod:

Hey guys, this thread title says "Rap/Hip Hop Fans" , let those who are fans discuss their music without a constant bombardment of "your music sucks".
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

lovesonia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lovesonia » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:46 am

I'm sorry to say, I wasn't a fan of the songs/videos by Canibus. Maybe it's just me but... all the conspiracy theory stuff kind of threw me for a loop. It's way too early to be on any loops, let alone be thrown for one. I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories, sadly. To each their own, eh.

Okay, I really have no interest in getting caught up in the debate on whether or not rap/hip hop is "really" music but I suppose in posting this, I might....

I like rap/hip hop/reggaeton. Some of it is demeaning and vulgar and/or annoying to listen to. So, when I don't want to hear it, I put something else on. What I do listen to, however, I listen to because I like the music, the beats, and sometimes I even like the message. Sometimes it's pointless but fun to listen to and sing along with. Sometimes it's just background noise.

It's perfectly fine by me that many of you don't like rap/hip hop. If you have control over what you listen to, by all means, don't torture yourself by listening to it. Change it. Please just try to respect that I listen to it because I like it.

I don't like electronica but I understand that some of you do. I don't say it's horrible and could never, ever be mistaken for anything even resembling music. I say I don't like it because it's often too redundant for me and tracks that are 45+ minutes aren't my cup of tea. Hell, even tracks by my favorite artists that are more than 6 minutes are often too long for my liking.

The thing is, music is as much a personal preference as what sort of food you like, what clothes you like, what cities or states you like, etc., etc., etc.. Just because you can't STAND tomatoes, for instance, doesn't mean that they 1) don't exist in an infinite number of recipes that just wouldn't be the same without them or 2) should be wiped off the face of the planet so you don't have to deal with them.

That's a somewhat incomplete thought. My apologies. My internet died and I didn't get back to writing this for a few hours.

In any case, here's a short list of who, in the rap genre, I'm listening to these days:

Twin Poets
Dead Prez
Psalm One
Nacrobats
Mobb Deep
[edit: spelling] Lauryn Hill
Mos Def
Common
Talib Kweli
Sway
Busta Rhymes
L.L. Cool J
Nas

Lady Sovereign
Sublime
Rehab
Akon
Bun B
Purple Ribbon All Stars
The Eastside Boyz
504 Boyz
D4L

If you have any interest, look into one or two of them. Who knows, you might find something you like.
Last edited by lovesonia on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAiaSMG

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:28 pm

I love everything that Lauryn Hill touches.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:43 pm

Uhh...

*facedesk*

*punishes self*

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:35 pm

Music. What is music? Well, you could read this to define what music. You could read a dictionary which cites:
an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner
I think John Cage would take issue with that...
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

lovesonia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lovesonia » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 pm

I love everything that Lauryn Hill touches.
Agreed. She's wonderful.
Uhh...

*facedesk*

*punishes self*
Uh, why are you doing that?
HAiaSMG

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:30 pm

LN, are you sleeping with the double post fairy?
Sorry about that. Yes, I have a bad habit of double posts. I'll try and quell it.
The other thing that he did was counter those who disagree with him with completely pointless attacks in order to confuse the issue, instead of responding to the content of our posts.
Uh, where, when? I directly addressed every point...
Maybe he could elaborate on:
a) What part of rap makes it music?
Because it's got a beat, instruments, often involves singing. Why don't you tell me why it ISN'T music? Start by finding some definition of music that it doesn't comply with:

(dictionary.com: music)
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. [noun]
4. [noun]
5. such scores collectively. [I don't really understand this definition]
6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.
7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.
8. [Idiom, not applicable]
9. [Phrase, not applicable]
b) What rap should I listen too?
That's entirely up to you XD But you can't judge the entire genre based on the performance of...Snoop Dawg...or whoever. Snoop Dawg does not rap. Whatever he does...it's...sickening.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:40 pm

lovesonia said it pretty well, I think. The list is a good representation of quality rap/hip-hop artists. Some I like, some I don't, but I recognize that all are good at what they do. I definitely agree with:

Mobb Deep
Common
Nas
Bun B
Purple Ribbon All Stars
Sublime

Like you said, some rap is just... demeaning - not just to the targets of certain rhymes, but also to the artists. But oh well - I stick to what I like.

For example, in the genre of "electronica" I have a very specific subset that I listen to, and pretty much no other techno - VIDEO GAME REMIXES WOOOOO!

anyone interested should check out http://www.ocremix.org/index.php

Return to “Milagre Town Square”