Out of Curiousity

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Major Anderson
Launchie
Launchie

Out of Curiousity

Postby Major Anderson » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:07 pm

Who here is NOT from North America? (No offence to any North Americans, just curious)
"Go Nova!"

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:15 pm

Ratesjul is from New Zealand.
Jebus is from Ireland.
Yebra is from England.
Jotabe is from Galicia.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:44 pm

And Peters_Girl is from Endor.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:08 am

I'm from California. I know that geographically we're part of North America, but if you ever visit here, we're like our own universe.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

lovesonia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lovesonia » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:12 am

I'm from California. I know that geographically we're part of North America, but if you ever visit here, we're like our own universe.
It's not like one universe, though. It's like three. Northern. Central. Southern. We're definitely very bizarre.

Edit: THEY'RE very bizarre. As of December 1st 2006, I am no longer a Californian. :cry:
HAiaSMG

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:25 am

True, but it gets kinda hazy as to where cencal stops and norcal begins. I mean, I consider Sacramento norcal, but people in eureka don't.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:51 am

Jebus is from Ireland.
Yebra is from England.
Jotabe is from Galicia.
A bit of a grammatical point here: I am _from_ Kansas. I am also _in_ Kansas. I have been _in_ many states since I was conceived in Kansas and born in Missouri and brought home to Kansas from the hospital. At any time that I was "in" those states, I'd still have been "from" Kansas. But I could have lived in Outer Mongolia since I was a month old, and I'd still have been "from" Kansas at any time in the years I've been alive.

And btw, I think we have someone from and in Israel too, unless he's left.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 am

Falka is in Europe somewhere too...but I don't know if she has been back since the crash...

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:00 am

I'm originally from Romania. Today I'm posting from Barcelona (the European one). Who knows where I'm going to post tomorrow from?

A.
It's all just a matter of interpretation.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:52 pm

Jebus is from Ireland.
Yebra is from England.
Jotabe is from Galicia.
A bit of a grammatical point here: I am _from_ Kansas. I am also _in_ Kansas. I have been _in_ many states since I was conceived in Kansas and born in Missouri and brought home to Kansas from the hospital. At any time that I was "in" those states, I'd still have been "from" Kansas. But I could have lived in Outer Mongolia since I was a month old, and I'd still have been "from" Kansas at any time in the years I've been alive.

And btw, I think we have someone from and in Israel too, unless he's left.

This is going to come across as really snarky, and really, I'm okay with making that impression.

It was comprehensible and it answered the question as it was presented. It was asked who here is not from North America and he received an answer that corresponded. If I answered in a fragment, chat speak, or gibberish, your lesson in grammar would have been more welcomed.

No need to nit-pick.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 pm

Falka is in Europe somewhere too...but I don't know if she has been back since the crash...
Falka is from Poland, though she is currently residing in Luxembourg.

lovesonia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lovesonia » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:03 pm

True, but it gets kinda hazy as to where cencal stops and norcal begins. I mean, I consider Sacramento norcal, but people in eureka don't.
I got the top and bottom borders as close to those of the map as possible, checked the height, divided, rounded if need be and put in the lines. The black lines are to separate the state into three sections. Northern, central and southern. The red lines are to separate the state in two. Northern and southern.

In the black line version, from the state line all the way to approx. Yuba City is Northern California.
Central California is from approx. Sacramento to approx. Delano.
That would make from approx. Bakersfield to the state line Southern California.

In the red line version, state line to approx. San Jose is Nor. Cal. That then means approx. Morgan Hill to the state line is So. Cal. That's pretty weird to think about. I lived in Morgan Hill for about a year. It's definitely not southern California-esque, in the least.

Yeah yeah, crappy method and examples, I know.
I'm _from_ Arkansas. Born and raised to 12 years of age. From there, I lived in California until very recently. Having lived there approx. 9 years, I considered myself _from_, not just _in_, California. I think it's important to who I am. If I'd not lived in California for 9 years I most certainly would not be who I am. The same could be said if I had not been born and raised in Arkansas. Therefore, both are important to note, though I am not _in_ either state. Fact of the matter, though, is that I'm _from_ Arkansas, not California. So in moving out of California, I'm no longer a Californian regardless of whether I considered myself to be or not. If I were to attach every city or state I've lived in and grown attached to onto where I'm _from_ it would become a very long list in a very short amount of time.

/rant that has nothing to do with the topic originally started, in which it was asked who is NOT from North America.
HAiaSMG

Firegirl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Firegirl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 am

It's not like one universe, though. It's like three. Northern. Central. Southern. We're definitely very bizarre.

Edit: THEY'RE very bizarre. As of December 1st 2006, I am no longer a Californian. :cry:
California is weird and has several universes in it. Though whenever I go up and down the state of California, I have found that Central California is confined to the Central (Sacramento) Valley excluding the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range and the Coastal ranges. CenCal as I have heard goes north as far as Yuba City/Marysville and south as far as Modesto and Stockton. However most of the time, people just halve the state in two, splitting it between Norcal and Socal, forgetting about Cencal's existence.
You feed the original flame that burns inside of you, because you know that is the only way you will get to live the life that is meant to be yours. Siv Cederling

"I've got sunspots where my heart used to be"

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:33 am

I don't think it really goes by exact lines, I see it more as a culture thing. The entire bay area really has one real culture and should be tkaen in its entirety and as part of norcal. Cencal, in my opinion, is relatively small and is from stockton south to about bakersfield before people really start being "southern californians".

Return to “Milagre Town Square”