Ali's People in Costumes Doing Strange Things Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:22 pm

My turn! I found one!
Leapfrogging Mayor Bruises Tomato

The Lord Mayor of Belfast has apologised to a council worker left with back injuries after he tried to leapfrog her during a photoshoot.
Lorraine Mallon suffered a slipped disc when Jim Rodgers' knee accidently hit her head as he attempted to vault her.

Ms Mallon had been dressed as a tomato to launch a gourmet garden event in Botanic Gardens last month.

The Ulster Unionist councillor said he attempted the act of athleticism at the request of photographers.

"I have been absolutely devastated over what has happened," he said.

"There had been three false runs and I think Lorraine thought this was just another one.

Jim Rodgers with Lorraine Mallon

"I just caught the top of her head and unfortunately I injured her."

Mr Rodgers said he was confident he could have made the vault.

He said: "I'm very fit and look after myself, but it was just one of those unfortunate things.

"I have kept in regular contact with her and my thoughts and prayers are with her.

"I just hope now that she makes a speedy and full recovery."

Ms Mallon, who works for the arts section of Belfast City Council's development department, has been unable to return to work since the accident happened on 4 September.
The enlarged image is the best.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm

*purrs*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:37 pm

*scritches*
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

caretgraff
Launchie
Launchie

Postby caretgraff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:20 pm

that's hilarious... so this thread, looks like it was revived, maybe? have you all been keeping track of the strange behavior of the costumed for quite a while? it's not even something I'd considered quantifying... and it's cracking me up. :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:32 pm

It's been a few years now. I regularly check the weird news sections for people in costumes doing strange things. It's one of my favourite threads.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:55 pm

The text of this article doesn't mention costumes, but the accompanying picture had, well... you'll see.
Rock Paper Scissors crowns a queen as its champ

Despite being crowned the Rock Paper Scissors world champion, Andrea Farina isn't bragging yet.

"I called my parents and some friends, but I'm not going around telling everybody," Farina said yesterday, still bewildered by her triumph at the sixth annual RPS World Championships the night before.

"I mean, I'm proud, but ... I don't know."

Farina, 22, became the first woman to win the tourney, which drew about 500 rabid competitors and another 500 spectators to the Steam Whistle Brewery on Saturday.

"How many people out there can say they're the world champion of something," Farina said, with a laugh.

Farina, who lives in Syracuse, N.Y., crushed fellow American David Arnold's aspirations with a paper to beat his rock, sealing the deal by winning the best two out of three sets in the final round. She gets her name on the trophy and, best of all, pockets $7,000 cash. "It was overwhelming," she said.

Article continues: http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2 ... 9-sun.html

Newly crowned World Rock Paper Scissors Champion Angela Farina, centre, of Syracuse, New York, celebrates her victory with fellow contestants including “Captain Morgan”, “General Maximus” and Lindsey Danforth.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:36 pm

The Toronto Zombie Walk!

News Article
vegetarian.

And she fondly recalls past birthday parties -- where she found inspiration to infect the world.

Known as Thea Munster, the now 34-year-old Toronto lab technician organized the first "zombie walk" in 2003, as a logical next step after hosting zombie-themed birthday bashes. During those ghoulish celebrations, she would often be the only one to arrive dead.

But she had a hunch there were more wandering spirits, begging to be set loose on the streets.

Her first shuffle through downtown Toronto -- a harmless bit of public theatre -- only drew a handful of diehards. But since then, the odd outings have grown -- and taken over other cities. Zombies regularly walk the streets of Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver, in Australia, in Europe and across the U.S. -- with one in Pittsburgh drawing out 894 stiffs to some of the same locations used by filmmaker George A. Romero in Dawn of the Dead.
Toronto Zombie Walk website

Photos

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:59 pm

That explains the two people I saw getting onto the subway this morning who looked a few days early for Halloween...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm

That explains the two people I saw getting onto the subway this morning who looked a few days early for Halloween...
Or perhaps the zombies were just up late after eating too many brains :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:05 am

It's a great time of year for this stuff.
Haunted house, grim reaper provide chills at wedding
BEREA, Ohio (AP) — As well-wishing zombies and witches looked on, a couple got married at the haunted house where they work.

Tina Milhoane, 22, and Robert Seifer III, 24, exchanged vows Wednesday at the entrance to the 7 Floors of Hell haunted house’s outdoor cemetery.

The groom made his entrance in a hearse, emerging from a coffin borne by six pallbearers.

“It’s weird watching your son get out of a coffin,” said his father, Robert Seifer II. “Usually when you see someone in a coffin, they’re going the other way — in, not out.”

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:06 am

Wagner would be replaced by Rob Zombie.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:13 am

Woman in wedding dress drives truck into pond during New Hamshire pot bust

GILFORD, N.H. - A woman wearing a wedding dress and parked beside a pond drove into the water Wednesday after officers tried to take a bag of marijuana from her, police said.

When the state fish and game conservation officers and a nearby resident tried to rescue the woman from her sinking sport-utility vehicle, she bit the neighbour on the arm, authorities said.

The 42-year-old woman was eventually taken to shore, then to a hospital, police said. It was not immediately known whether she was hurt or what her condition was.

The conservation officers were checking on the woman, who was parked alone by Saltmarsh Pond in eastern New Hampshire. She became upset and reached for a bag of marijuana, police said. When one of the officers tried to grab the bag, the woman drove off, speeding around the parking lot and then into the water.

She will be charged with reckless conduct, simple assault, driving after suspension and transporting a controlled drug, police said.
I want to know how the wedding dress fits in.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:21 am

That's what I'm wondering...
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:15 pm

I'm betting the locals are only interested in what kind of truck it was. Oh, wait, New Hampshire?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:09 am

That sort of thing could happen in my hometown.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:43 pm

I've got one!
Drunk Zombie mistaken for Murder Victim

BERLIN (Reuters) - Passengers on a German train mistook a Halloween reveller dressed up as a gore-covered zombie for a murder victim and called the police.

The 24-year-old man fell into a drunken slumber on his way home from a Halloween party in Hamburg, police in the northern town of Bad Segeberg said on Monday.

Believing his hands and face were smeared with blood, passengers alerted police after getting no response from him.

A first aid team called to the scene soon cleared up the confusion. Police told the man to remove his make-up after which he was allowed to continue his journey.

"Bad Segeberg is in a rural area and Halloween isn't very well known there," police spokeswoman Silke Tobies said. "So people weren't expecting anyone to be dressed up in the train."
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:38 pm

Haha, that's great!
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:41 pm

They may not be doing strange things, but these are the funniest costumes I've ever seen.

Japanese Halloween Costumes
Here's a sample:

One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:55 am

Psshht, I can do that without a costume.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Zanta is a first-hand story. He's largely out of action these days, but last year I saw him wandering around Yonge St.

He's got quite a few YouTube recordings, too, for those who just can't get enough of people in costumes doing strange things.

I hope he comes back.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:08 am

There's just something about the holidays that seems to bring out the weird. Merry Christmas, everyone.
G-string Santa arrested in Hollywood

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Some gifts from Kris Kringle are better kept wrapped.

A man in a Santa hat was arrested Sunday night for investigation of drunken driving after he was spotted outside Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood wearing a wig, a red lace camisole and a purple G-string, police said.

“We are pretty sure this is not the Santa Claus,” Deputy Chief Ken Garner said.

The suspect was booked into jail after his blood-alcohol level measured just above the state’s legal limit of .08, police said. He was later released on $5,000 bail.

The man, who is 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 280 pounds, also wore black leg warmers and black shoes. His car was towed to an impound yard, police said.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:47 am

"Woman Gives Birth In Pants"

Link
It isn't exactly a costume, but it's not what you are supposed to be wearing during that particular activity.

[edited by Jayelle to make the link smaller]
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Oh my god. I don't know what is most surprising about this story: she gave birth in pants, she named the twins Curt and Curtis, and she now has SEVEN children!

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm just astounded that she didn't have time to TAKE OFF HER PANTS.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Penguin gets a wetsuit to get him swimming again
SAN FRANCISCO - What's black and white and warm all over?

A penguin in a wetsuit, naturally. Sounds like a joke, but it's quite serious for biologists at the California Academy of Sciences, who had a wetsuit created for an African penguin to help him get back in the swim of things.

Pierre, a venerable 25 years old, was going bald, which left him with an embarrassingly exposed, pale pink behind.

Unlike marine mammals, which have a layer of blubber to keep them warm, penguins rely on their waterproof feathers.

Without them, Pierre was unwilling to plunge into the academy's penguin tank and ended up shivering on the sidelines while his 19 peers played in the water.

"He was cold; he would shake," said Pam Schaller, a senior aquatic biologist at the academy.
More article and picture at link!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Awwww :)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:13 pm

That is very sweet.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 pm

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1811086

this video is just relevant enough that I felt the need to share it with everyone.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Ok, just because the topic has a new title, I have to do this now:

Yeah, I know they're blurry, it's the best I could do. Stupid cameras. The fist few are the ones I'm working on, the last one was done about four years ago.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue May 13, 2008 12:07 pm

I didn't think I'd need to change the title back so soon.
Darth Vader spared jail in attack on Jedi church founder

HOLYHEAD, Wales - The Force must have been with him.

A man who dressed up as Darth Vader has been spared jail time for assaulting the founders of the Jedi Church in Britain.

Twenty-seven-year-old Arwel Wynne Hughes was given a suspended sentence for the crime by a judge in Wales on Tuesday.

Prosecutors told Magistrates' Court in Holyhead that Hughes attacked Jedi church founder Barney Jones - a.k.a. Master Jonba Hehol - with a metal crutch, hitting him on the head.

He also whacked Jones' 18-year-old cousin, Michael Jones - known as Master Mormi Hehol - bruising his thigh in the March 25 incident.

Hughes claims he was drinking heavily and can't remember the assault.

The two cousins and Barney Jones' brother, Daniel, set up the Church of Jediism, Anglesey order, last year. Jedi is the faith followed by some of the central characters in the "Star Wars" films.

The group, which claims about 30 members, says on its website that it uses "insight and knowledge" from the films as "a guide to living a better and more worthwhile life."

"We all love the films and what they stand for. Obviously some people are going to laugh about it," the Wales on Sunday newspaper quoted Barney Jones as saying last month. "But a lot of people do take it seriously."

Unfortunately for Hughes, his March attack was recorded on a video camera that the cousins had set up to film themselves in a light sabre battle.

"Darth Vader! Jedis!" Hughes shouted as he approached.

Hughes claimed he couldn't remember the incident, having drunk the better part of a 10-litre box of wine beforehand.

"He knows his behaviour was wrong and didn't want it to happen but he has no recollection of it," said Hughes' lawyer, Frances Jones.

District Judge Andrew Shaw sentenced Hughes to two months in jail but suspended the sentence for one year. He also ordered Hughes to pay $195 to each of his victims and $117 in court costs.

In the 2001 United Kingdom census, 390,000 people - 0.7 per cent of the population - listed Jedi as their religion.

They are not alone - 20,000 Canadians also listed their religion as Jedi in 2001.

With files from The Canadian Press

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon May 26, 2008 5:14 pm

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:46 pm

Someone has been reading a little too much Questionable Content, methinks.
Cops hunting for robbers wearing thong masks

ARVADA, Colorado - Police in a Colorado town are searching for two robbers whose masks showed plenty of fashion sense but little modesty: women's thong underwear.

A surveillance video released this week by police in Arvada, Colorado, shows two unarmed men inside the convenience store.

They stole an undisclosed amount of cash and cigarettes in the May 16 robbery.

One man wore a green thong and the other wore blue.

Each thong barely covered the man's nose, mouth and chin and left the rest of his face exposed. One also wore a pink backpack in which he stuffed the stolen items.

The suspects were described as being in their 20s. One had a left arm tattoo.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:14 pm

BUMP! Sorry, guys, it's been a long time. But the news have been rather slacking on reporting people with costumes doing odd things. Even the Fathers for Justice* have become so passé here that the rags don't bother with them.

But, at last! I have something for you. My diligence to bring you the very best in costumed weirdery has paid off!

Holy Legal Defence, Batman!"
TAMPA - Batman has had a slew of enemies over the years – The Joker, The Riddler, Catwoman – but in Ybor City last year, he added a new nemesis: Tampa police.

Ybor City's version of the Caped Crusader –his real name is Walsh Ian Nichols – was sitting on a curb eating sushi on Oct. 21 when an officer arrested him for wearing a mask on a public street. (More at the link)
* They dress up as superheroes and climb public monuments to raise awareness of fathers' rights. They were part of the inspiration for this thread.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:18 pm

those of you who frequent digg are likely familiar with this:
http://www.kontraband.com/pics/15458/Ju ... rmtrooper/

but it's worth posting anyway.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 pm

Pic Shows Man Robbing Stores With Klingon Sword
Clerks Recognize Sword As 'Bat'leth'

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- A surveillance picture released by police Wednesday afternoon shows a man armed with what appears to be a small Klingon sword, holding up a 7-Eleven convenience store.

That same man robbed another 7-Eleven store store a half-hour later, and remains at large, Colorado Springs police Lt. David Whitlock said.

The first robbery was reported at 1:50 a.m., at 145 N Spruce St. The clerk told police a white man in his 20s, wearing a black mask, black jacket, and blue jeans, entered the store with a weapon the clerk recognized from the Star Trek TV series.

The robber demanded money and left with an undisclosed amount.

A half hour later, police received a call from a 7-Eleven at 2407 N. Union Blvd., where a man matching the previous description entered the store with a similar weapon. He also demanded money from the store clerk. The clerk refused and the robber "transported" himself out of the store on foot.

Both clerks described the weapon as a Star Trek Klingon-type sword, called a "bat'leth."

Neither clerk was injured in the robberies.

The Startrek.com Web site describes the Klingon weapon as crescent-shaped and about a yard long. However, the weapon that the man was wielding appears to be smaller than that. The bat'leth has points on both ends, two points in between and a handle on the outside.

Police said they don't know if the sword used by the robber was made of metal.

Klingons were warlike enemies of the good-guy United Federation of Planets in the original "Star Trek" series but were allies in "Star Trek: The Next Generation."
The enemy's fly is down.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”