Ali's People in Costumes Doing Strange Things Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Ali's People in Costumes Doing Strange Things Thread

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:09 pm

http://www.kare11.com/news/ts_article.a ... yid=135145
olice received a call about a man who had entered a family's home illegally. According to the Smith family, the man walked into their home and headed to the bedroom saying he was sent here to have sex with the woman of the house, Linda Smith. "I said, I don't know who your are, but your not having sex with me and you need to get out of my house."

Linda and her daughter started pushing the man out and he started taking off his clothes. The women were scared. At the time, they had no idea what this now naked man would do.

When they grabbed a phone and called police, naked man fled and started chasing a horse in a nearby field.

That's where police found him, running nude through a pasture, chasing horses and pulling their tails.
That counts as a costume in my books.
Last edited by Eaquae Legit on Tue May 13, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:03 pm

Wow... how odd
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:51 pm

I'm happy he was just pulling their tails.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:13 pm

Ali, that is one of the most bizarre stories I have seen in a very long time.

It vaguely reminds me of a story I heard somewhere (can't remember where) about a guy training in some army camp in the south. Apparently, while trying to sleep, he overheard his bunkmates discussing whether sheep or cows were better.

*shudder*

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:22 am

I love you beyond all reason, Ali! Thank you for remembering this thread :)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:11 am

I couldn't find it online, so I scanned it from the newspaper.

The enemy's fly is down.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:30 am

That has to be about the best picture ever!

looks like the penguin got the beat down.
Ubernaustrum

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Does this count?

Postby Bevis » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:30 pm

I don't know what this guy's doing but I feel confident that it's something weird.

http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/cost ... ercats.jpg

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:48 pm

I think I've seen his drag show....

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:54 pm

Perish the thought...
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:42 pm

What's Hallowe'en without a post in here?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2 ... 23-ap.html

EDINBURGH, Scotland (AP) - With delegates dressed up as witches, ghosts and ghouls singing and telling jokes, it won't be a typical academic conference when 200 professors gather Tuesday to discuss the history of Halloween.

The two-day meeting in Glasgow, Scotland, will focus on how a traditional Celtic festival became a monster global commercial event worth billions of dollars.

Those attending are encouraged to wear costumes and try out the ancient Scottish tradition of guising, or performing in exchange for a treat.

"Guising is the precursor of trick or treat and we want to encourage all the delegates to try it out," says conference organizer Prof. Hugh O'Donnell of Glasgow Caledonian University. "We really want everyone to get into the spirit of this event and there's no better way than to dress up. It's going to be quite a sight." [more through the link]
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:45 pm

And an encore just because it amuses me:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2 ... 71-ap.html

Principal bars Captain Underpants costumes

LONG BEACH, N.Y. (AP) - Captain Underpants has battled talking toilets and Professor Poopypants but he was no match for a Long Island high school principal who banned students from dressing up as the children's book character.

Long Beach high school principal Nicholas Restivo took the action Wednesday after three 17-year-old girls wore beige leotards and nude stockings under white briefs and red capes on the school's Superhero Day.

"Yes, I know they weren't naked," Restivo said.

"But the appearance was that they were naked."

Chelsea Horowitz, one of the girls, had a problem with that logic.

"They're not see-through or anything," said Horowitz, an honour student and softball player.

"All the teachers thought it was cute."

But Restivo decreed no underpants would be visible in his hallways.

Horowitz and fellow seniors Ashley Imhof and Eliana Levin went home to change back into their mortal attire.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:40 pm

Well, 'tis the season, I suppose.

Ex-inmate trick-or-treating prompts jail lockdown

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (AP) - A jail went into lockdown and recounted its prisoners on Halloween night after a former inmate was spotted trick-or-treating in his old orange prisoner's jumpsuit.

Lawyer with Bin Laden costume arrested

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The lawyer who divulged President Bush’s drunken-driving arrest days before the 2000 election was arrested Tuesday after he was spotted on a highway overpass wearing an Osama bin Laden Halloween costume and holding a toy gun.

Brooklyn student causes stir with Hitler costume

NEW YORK (AP) - A Brooklyn high-school student caused a stir when he showed up for class dressed as Adolf Hitler for Halloween, insisting it was a satire of the Nazi dictator.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:20 pm

This is Ali's "Cabs in Costumes Do Strange Things" post.
NYC cabs dressed up as cattle to promote event
NEW YORK (AP) - For the rest of this week, New Yorkers can take a taxi by the horns.

Five normally yellow cabs, covered in fake brown-and-white cowhide and decorated with horns on the roof, lined up outside Madison Square Garden on Tuesday, part of a promotion for a two-day Invitational Bull Riders event on Jan. 6-7.

"It's hard to get noticed in New York," said Gavin Harvey, a cable TV executive backing the event. Through Sunday, fares will be free for anyone willing to hail a cabs that looks like cattle on wheels.

It will be Gotham's first experience with professional bull riding, which is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States, according to Harvey, president of Versus, a cable channel that features various rugged sports including professional hockey and boxing.

"We like the tough stuff, the hard-hitting sports," he said. Professional bull riding, in which a competitor has to stay aboard at least eight seconds, "is as tough as it gets," he said.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Tigger punches a kid at Disney World.

http://www.local6.com/news/10685989/detail.html

In 2004, Tigger also faced charges of child molestation, but was acquitted.
Oh, Tigger. What wacky antics will you be up to next?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 pm

More Naked Criminals:
Intruder found naked, asleep on woman's couch: police

COSTA MESA, Calif. (AP) - A Laguna Niguel man allegedly broke into a woman's home and fell asleep on her couch naked, according to police. The woman called authorities early Saturday morning after waking up to find Michael Bonnie, 36, on her couch covered by a blanket, Costa Mesa Police Sgt. Matt Grimmold said. The two did not appear to know each other, Grimmold said.

Police arrested Bonnie on suspicion of residential burglary and indecent exposure. He is being held on $250,000 bail.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2 ... 56-ap.html

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:24 am

Ali, I'm curious as to where you find this stuff, but I'm afraid to ask.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:31 am

I always provide links, h_k. Being a somewhat less reputable paper*, The Sun delights in bringing the weird and wacky to its readers. I skim the Weird News section every couple days.

* Not like The-National-Enquirer-less-reputable, just not as quality as, say, The Globe and Mail.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:24 pm

Woman found with 3 crocodiles strapped to her
By DIAA HADID

JERUSALEM (AP) - A woman with three crocodiles strapped to her waist was stopped at the Gaza-Egypt border crossing after guards noticed that she looked "strangely fat," officials said Monday.

The woman's shape raised suspicions at the Rafah terminal in southern Gaza, and a body search by a female border guard turned up the animals, each about 50 centimetres long, concealed underneath her loose robe, according to Maria Telleria, spokeswoman for the European observers who run the crossing.

"The woman looked strangely fat. Even though she was veiled and covered, even with so many clothes on there was something strange," Telleria said.

The incident, which took place on Thursday, sparked panic at the crossing.

"The policewoman screamed and ran out of the room, and then women began screaming and panicking when they heard," Telleria said. But when the hysteria died down, she said, "everybody was admiring a woman who is able to tie crocodiles to her body."

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:24 pm

I'm rather impressed.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:41 am

*gleeful*

*hugs thread*

Wow. Crocodiles.

I love people.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:23 pm

Firefighter charged for racy romp through Ohio park

MASON, Ohio (AP) - A volunteer firefighter who was found at a park wearing a woman's wig and bikini has been arrested on charges of drunken driving and indecency.

Steven Cole, 46, of Waynesville, told an officer he was on his way to a Dayton bar to perform as a woman in a contest offering a $10,000 prize, the arrest report said. He was arrested Tuesday after police received a report of an intoxicated man walking and driving around Heritage Oak Park in Mason. Police said Cole was wearing a blond wig, pink flip-flops and a string bikini with the top filled out by tan water balloons.
*scritches Kirsten behind the ears*

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:07 pm

*purrs happily*
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm

Since naked counts as a costume...
Naked woman dives at car, stabs 1 in Plano Ms. Richardson, 28, was riding with two friends about 7:15 p.m. to an open mike poetry reading hosted by Providence Community Church at the ArtCentre of Plano, Plano police spokesman J.D. Minton said.

Before they arrived, Ms. Richardson jumped out of the car, ran into a parking garage on Avenue K and took off her clothes.

"Then she runs back out into the street and swan dives in front of a car," Detective Minton said. "The car was able to stop before it hit her but was rear-ended."

The husband and wife in the car that stopped got out to check on Ms. Richardson, but she ran back into the garage, Detective Minton said. The wife, who was not identified by police, followed her.

"The [wife] asks her if there's anything she can do. And the [suspect] tells her, 'You can help me with this' and reaches into her pants on the ground and pulls out a knife. She stabbed her multiple times in the upper torso," Detective Minton said.

And a completely unrelated picture:

I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:23 pm

OH f***! For a moment I could swear I saw some cameltoe...

*headdesk*

I'm so f****** up. Do my clothes count as a costume?

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:24 pm

Yeah, it's best not to look at that region. :shock:
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:25 am

I suppose there's a niche market for nearly everything these days...
Michigan minister performs weddings as Elvis impersonator

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) - You don't need to go to Las Vegas any more to get hitched in an Elvis-themed wedding chapel. There's a minister in Michigan taking that act on the road.

"We bring a little of the Vegas experience to them," says Greg Jaqua, an Elvis tribute artist.

Jaqua was ordained through the Universal Life Church a number of years ago, but recently renewed his licence after realizing he could combine his talents to serve a niche market.

"A couple of years ago, someone told me he and his fiancee wanted to go to Las Vegas and be married by Elvis, but they couldn't go," he said. "I got the idea for this several years ago and started doing weddings last year."

Jaqua said he has performed three Elvis weddings in his mobile wedding chapel so far.

Jaqua, who has been making his living as an Elvis tribute performer for about 12 years, got his start playing guitar in a band backing up another Elvis impersonator.

When he was casting about for ways to supplement his income, the wedding chapel seemed like a natural way to do it.

His first appearance as Elvis came in 1995 when he was asked to perform at a 40th birthday party. He has appeared at a number of festivals and events, and was crowned grand champion of the 2005 Michigan Elvis Fest Impersonator Contest.

Lazarillo
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lazarillo » Tue May 01, 2007 12:31 am

Could be worse- could be a michael jackson impersonater.
While there is a lower class I am in it; while there is a criminal element I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free
-Eugene Debs

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 03, 2007 11:06 pm

And now they deliver pizzas:
Caped crusaders deliver pizza too

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Captain Awesome is driving Bob tonight.

Let’s break that down: Dustin Saunders, a delivery guy for Galactic Pizza who dresses for the job in a blue superhero suit complete with red cape and boots, is ferrying pies around south Minneapolis in an electric-powered three-wheeled vehicle that’s been dubbed “Bob.” Other members of the fleet are called “Frank” and “Les.”

If it all sounds slightly ridiculous, that’s Galactic Pizza. This is an establishment that recently sponsored “Richard Simmons Day” (“50 percent off everything if you dress like Richard Simmons“) and also features a “4:20 Special” in a sly nod to the cannabis devotees who make up a large slice of the delivery pizza market. (The number 420 is a slang reference to marijuana.)

But the irreverent approach masks a seriousness of purpose at Galactic Pizza, where the electric delivery cars are just one part of what its owner calls a “values-led company.” Galactic Pizza emphasizes environmental sustainability and protection in its business practices, uses organic and locally grown ingredients when possible, and donates a small portion of its profit to hunger relief and other charities.

(more at link)
It even has a picture!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu May 03, 2007 11:12 pm

*purrs*
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu May 03, 2007 11:16 pm

I particularly liked this bit:
“It’s always a wonderful treat,” said Alita Shenk, as Captain Awesome handed over her order on a recent Friday night. “A lot of it now is people wanting to show their friends,” Saunders said. “Then there’s the people who laugh hysterically, which is fun. And every once in a while I still get someone who just picked us out of the phone book and has no idea. Those are my favorite.”
And also this part:
Saunders relishes the role. He greets each customer with his hand cocked on his hip and an exclamation along the lines of, “I’m Captain Awesome, and I’m here with your pizza.” He said he loves delivering to homes with kids.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri May 04, 2007 12:02 am

I wonder if he's related to Pizza Girl.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:36 pm

The one who started it all, in his less than triumphant return!

Back, back in the days of yore, in Pweb 2.0, there was a man, a man who climbed buildings...
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2 ... 58-ap.html

MOSCOW (AP) - The French skyscraper climber who calls himself "Spiderman" scaled Europe's tallest skyscraper in the Russian capital on Tuesday before being detained by police.

Alain Robert climbed to the top of the 242-metre-high Federation office building, Europe's tallest building, in less than a half-hour using a ladder. Police did not try to prevent him from ascending the building or attempt to pursue him, but detained him afterward.

It was not immediately clear why Robert, renowned for climbing without ropes or other equipment, used the ladder on his Moscow ascent.

Organizers of Robert's Moscow climbing tour said they had received the necessary clearance for the climb from the city authorities. Robert told reporters as he was being whisked away by police that he did not understand the reason for his detention.

The ITAR-Tass news agency said the climber could face a fine for violating safety norms at a construction site. The Federation tower is part of a sprawling business complex that is still under construction.

Robert has climbed more than 70 of the world's tallest structures, including the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building and the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, with his bare hands and without a safety net.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Glad to see he's still being productive.

I miss the spidey-costume, though.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:06 pm

A DOUBLE leg amputee with a love of swimming will be New Zealand's first mermaid.

Auckland woman Nadya Vessey will soon have a tail, which is being custom made for her by Weta Workshop, the creative minds made internationally famous for their work on The Lord Of The Rings and King Kong films.

Ms Vessey was born with a condition that caused her legs not to develop properly.

She began swimming after her first leg was amputated at the age of seven. Her second leg was removed when she was 16. Her lower legs are prosthetics.

Several years ago, when she was removing her legs, a four-year-old boy approached her and "started asking all the why questions".

Instead of trying to explain amputation, Ms Vessey asked him if he knew about The Little Mermaid. "He said he did, so I told him: 'Well I'm a mermaid.' "

The tail, which will just be used for swimming, will be moulded onto a pair of wetsuit shorts to make it easy to put on and take off.

Ms Vessey told Weta Workshop to make the tail practical and beautiful.

"They told me not to worry, that they would even put scales on it," she said. "So I really have no idea what to expect - but it's going to be fun."

She is looking forward to it propelling her through the water with an undulating movement of her body, and is thinking of completing the swimming section of a triathlon to "warrant" having it.

"I thought rather than just having it as a plaything, I would take it further," she said.

Friend and swimming partner Phil Fryer said: "I think she really likes the idea of being in a mermaid's tail, looking languid on the beach."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/tail-o ... 48927.html

Return to “Milagre Town Square”