Name-Change Stereotypes

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Do you plan to change your surname when you marry?

I am a guy, and I would never change my name.
26%
I am a guy, and I might, if there were a good reason.
14%
I am a guy, and I'd have no problem with it.
10%
I am a guy, and I have another idea.
No votes
I am a girl, and I plan to.
21%
I am a girl, and I might.
14%
I am a girl, and I will not change my name.
7%
I am a girl, and I have another idea.
7%

Total votes: 42

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:21 pm

I plan on changing my last name if/when I get married because I am not particularly attached to it, I have two brothers, one male cousin and a couple of other distant relatives with my last name so I don't think it will die out or anything if take my husband's, and I like the tradition.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:41 pm

The way I see it, if I ever get married, either I have my father's name or my husband's name (or both, but for some reason I'd hate a hyphenated name). I'd much rather have my husband's name because a) I chose him, I didn't choose my dad, b) hopefully my husband is a lot less of an ignorant sexist than my dad is, and c) my dad's whole family is frustrating and I'd actually be quite happy to ditch that name. So, um, I'm biased? :stoned:
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:59 pm

I think that if the love you share with someone is so fragile that it needs that symbol, it's not love.
*Sigh* you just don't get what I'm saying. Sorry I'm not better with words.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:31 pm

apparently nobody understands you LN.

don't give up though. people don't always need to understand you. just make sure you don't get offended when we don't.
Ubernaustrum

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:55 pm

I know. I have a difficult time explaining my beliefs.

I should stick to fiction.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:17 pm

No, keep practicing explaining. Try to take the commentary as helpful and learn from it. Like Valentine and Peter, eh? Eventually you'll be orating like Cicero (the old windbag)!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:25 pm

I wouldn't get married unless the girl was willing to change her name. I think that her being unwilling to do so would be a complete and total embarassment for me.

For me, marriage would be a particularly dangerous thing. Once I get married, it is far harder to protect my money. Even a common-law marriage *aka just living together* would afford me better opportunities to protect my assets upon dissolution of the relationship.

I know that people say that they will not get married unless they are 100% certain that they will not get divorced, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens anyways. There have been people that are 100% that the world is flat, and they were still flat out wrong.

To me, marriage has very little meaning. Loving, caring for and living with a person is what matters to me. The marriage itself, for me at least, is a formality, that could be very costly. So for it to occur, I would need some sort of token sacrifice as well, which means taking my name.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Last edited by anonshadow on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:41 pm

It is actually rather difficult to protect the assets.

If you happen to have a fair bit of money going into the marriage, then you can protect it with a prenuptial agreement. Problem is that those agreements only apply to the money that you have earned prior to the marriage.

In my case, I am sad to say that I am not a person who was born into wealth. So any money that I ever have will have been earned by me. If I put off marriage until I was like 50-something, then a pre-nup would work just fine, but if I get married prior to making the money, I will get nailed should a divorce occur.

From my understanding of family law, other side-agreements and contracts that are made with the intention of protecting one's assets will be ignored by the courts.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:46 pm

John and I are going to be millionaires.

we even made a bet about it... long time ago. (don't think i've forgotten about it either, john!)

in other words, john may not be the only one working, and he may not be the only one making a s*** ton of cash. but the millions that ARE his have to be protected.
Ubernaustrum

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:47 pm

You both tell me how that goes.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:49 pm

:wink:
Ubernaustrum

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:56 pm

As i recall, the first one who makes it has to buy drinks... in Hawaii :)

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 pm

yup. :) :D
Ubernaustrum

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:36 pm

Last edited by anonshadow on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:41 pm

John, you could always marry a rich girl- then you don't have to worry about her stealing your money.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:44 pm

I'd change my name. It's a tradition. My current last name is a pain to sign. My brothers can carry on the family name just fine. And as it is, I'm not all that attached to my father's surname--I look enough like him that I don't need that to show we're related.

My English teacher last year followed the Italian traditon (at least, that's what she said it was). She took her husbands name, but her kids had her maiden name. I thought that was an interesting way of doing things.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:53 pm

I have a super-cool last name, so I might keep it or I might hyphenate it. That said, any children would have the father's name.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:32 am

I was in a relationship where name changes were beocming a rather imminant issue....

Honestly, I was excited to have her taking my last name; and I think she was excited for that as well.

To me, it's not about whether she's "mine" or I'm "hers", it's about "we're together". With that, though; I'd need a reason to go against the tradition so publicly like that, I'm not usually the type to openly go against the trend because I don't like having to justify myself if I don't have any backing.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:10 am

Claire, that would be a sweet deal... All I gotta do is talk her out of the pre-nup, lol.

Incidentally, I just want to make it clear that while I want my wife to take my last name, I also reserve the right to make any of you people take my last name as well.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:15 am

Last edited by anonshadow on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:00 am

I took my husband's name. I didn't have a middle name growing up, so my maiden name is now my middle name. I hated not having a middle name growing up, and I'm not so sure I like have a last name as my middle name, so I have every intention of not carrying on the no-middle name crap that was thrown at me. :)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:31 am

Same as my mom. She said it was a Southern custom.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:56 pm

They don't do that everywhere?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:27 pm

For me, there was no question. It was what was done, and what I wanted to do, so I adopted his name. I'm glad I did.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:04 pm

I did not change my last name when I got married.

There were a number of women my age who did not change their last names at the time I got married in the area in which I was living. Others decided on hyphenated or dual last names. Most of these were professional women with an interest in keeping the name under which they earned their credentials and/or had published papers.

Some couples decided that both halves of the couple would take the husband's name, the traditional view.

My husband and I discussed it and decided against a hyphenated name because our two last names together do not exactly roll off the tongue well. :P

We then moved to a community in which it is fairly uncommon for women to keep their names when they marry, but overall it has not been a problem.

At my children's schools, I am sometimes referred to as Mrs. [my husband's last name], and I answer to that, even though it is not my legal name. My husband sometimes get mail addressed to [Mr. Ela] and we find that amusing.

I think my mother-in-law may have been somewhat taken aback by our decision, initially, but she has gotten used to it. My children use my husband's last name.

Basically, it is a non-issue for us. I see it as a very individual decision - couples need to discuss and decide what their feelings are about it and what they want to do, and that is all. It's nobody else's business.

My two-cents' worth. :)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:12 pm

I took my husband's name. I didn't have a middle name growing up, so my maiden name is now my middle name. I hated not having a middle name growing up, and I'm not so sure I like have a last name as my middle name, so I have every intention of not carrying on the no-middle name crap that was thrown at me. :)
I'm rather fond of my lack of a middle name. My friends have come up with enough nicknames to fill in that space that I have little desire to have a real one.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Nicholas
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nicholas » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:40 pm

My surname has both good and bad memories to me. However, I am closer to that side of my family, so I’m a little attached to the name. Kevin and I have talked about it and he wants me to take his name, yet he would hate for me to lose my name so I’m going with two middle names.

(Plus when people ask me my last name it's fun to see there expressions and confusion when I say Stacey)
~Nick

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:12 pm

Answer me this (directed at anyone who refuses to change their name).

Your name is so important to you that you will go against the flow, take legal procedures to change it, and (potentially) upset your husband. Yet, you have troubles seeing why it is so important to ME that my wife take my name?

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:31 pm

I can see why you find it important that your wife change her name. However, I can see why any woman would react to someone who unbendingly demands she change her name for you. It's one thing to strongly desire that she change her name to yours. It's something completely different to say that she HAS to and that she is not allowed to even consider otherwise, because to not change her name would be a slap in the face to you. A lot of things in life are not so much about what one is willing to do or not do, but what one is able to do. If you deny that ability to act contrary to your wishes, people are less willing to act according to your wishes.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:32 pm

It doesn't take legal procedures to not change it, as I understand. In fact, it's far LESS of a legal hassle to avoid it.

As to the question, I am simply asking to remain who I have always been. You are asking/demanding someone else to change that. The difference is that I want to keep MY OWN name, and you want someone to take YOURS. I'm not asking anyone else to change their name.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:15 am

Or you and your hypothetical partner could change your last names to "Wiggin."

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 am

Answer me this (directed at anyone who refuses to change their name).

Your name is so important to you that you will go against the flow, take legal procedures to change it, and (potentially) upset your husband. Yet, you have troubles seeing why it is so important to ME that my wife take my name?
It's fine that it's important to you, but what if your potential wife's last name was very important to her? Say, and this is probably reaching, but say her parents died in a tragic fire that consumed the home where she grew up, everything her parents owned, and all she had left to remember them by was their name? Would you still insist that she change her name simply because you want her to? Or would you stop and consider her feelings for a microsecond?

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:31 am

wait... women have feelings? i thought their sole purpose and design and desire was to serve us men?!?
Ubernaustrum

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:33 am

Oh, right, I completely forgot. How may I serve you, master? For I am lowly and my brain is much smaller, as proved by your male scientists.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”