Discrimination against Atheists

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Discrimination against Atheists

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:34 pm

I decided this needed its own thread.

Is there any discrimination against atheists and nonbelievers in America? And for the European and Canadian crowd, I'd love to hear the views of how nonbelief is treated in your home countries.

Discuss.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Discrimination against Atheists

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:44 pm

I decided this needed its own thread.

Is there any discrimination against atheists and nonbelievers in America? And for the European and Canadian crowd, I'd love to hear the views of how nonbelief is treated in your home countries.

Discuss.
Definitely a little. Always will be some. I don't think any more than against any other group though.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:50 pm

What about George H.W. Bush's comment?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:21 pm

...atheists are the most reviled minority in the United States. Polls indicate that being an atheist is the perfect impediment to running for high office in our country (while being black, Muslim, or homosexual is not).

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:28 pm

You have to wonder how many politicians have lied about not being athiests.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:31 pm

We have more out of the closet homosexuals and muslims than atheists, I think that tells you something about America.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Ya know, America sucks that way.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:39 pm

America sucks lots of ways.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Don't get me started.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:53 pm

You know, Nick, it's generally a good idea to quote what you're talking about. Assuming that others know doesn't make you look smarter, it makes you look disjointed.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:57 pm

Move.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:04 pm

Gladly. May I have a few thousand dollars to get me started?

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Sorry, it was posted in another thread that his one is a sort of continuation of. the quote is,
Bush: No, I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:09 pm

*snrk* Ah, Bush. Such gems he spews.

Edit: I think that whether or not there is discrimination against athiests depends on where you are in the country. In the Bible Belt? Hell yes. In New York? If anything, I've seem discrimination against people who aren't athiests.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:05 pm

Move.
No. Because I wouldn't feel good abandoning you guys to what America might become if everybody who didn't like what was going on left.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:08 pm

I don't think there is a nationwide discrimination. Like anonshadow said, it depends where you are. In some places (or social circles) athiests are the spawn of satan. In others, they are the only sane people on earth. Yes, there is discrimination, but I think every group has some of that going for them. And as for being elected president--I wonder what the results would be if it were a Mormon vs. an athiest.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:45 am

Sorry, it was posted in another thread that his one is a sort of continuation of. the quote is,
Bush: No, I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.
A lot of people make up quotes and post them online. I'd like to see your source on it.

If he indeed said it, I don't know what to tell you. He can be a stupid, stupid guy. But not nearly as stupid as Kerry, and not even 1% of Gore's stupidity.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:24 am

A lot of people make up quotes and post them online. I'd like to see your source on it.

If he indeed said it, I don't know what to tell you. He can be a stupid, stupid guy. But not nearly as stupid as Kerry, and not even 1% of Gore's stupidity.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be under the impression that this was a quote of dubya. h_k has led me to believe that this was a quote from George H. W. Bush (aka Bush Sr.).

I was kinda wondering about the context of it, though, if Nick would be so kind as to oblige.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:14 am

Sourceage

When George Bush was campaigning for the presidency, as incumbent vice-president, one of his stops was in Chicago, Illinois, on August 27, 1987. At O'Hare Airport he held a formal outdoor news conference. There Robert I. Sherman, a reporter for the American Atheist news journal, fully accredited by the state of Illinois and by invitation a participating member of the press corps covering the national candidates, had the following exchange with then-Vice-President Bush.

Transparent Spacer
Table Rule 2

Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:22 am

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:19 am

I was familiar with another meaning of FTW x_x

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:43 am

I think that while atheists consider religious people to be delusional and uninformed, and while religious people consider atheists to be the spawn of the devil, there will be always discrimination on both sides. Whether it is subtle or not.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:31 am

The spawn of the devil? I was pretty sure God made everybody... also, the devil was an angel back in the day, and angels don't reproduce, geez.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Confession

Postby eriador » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:45 am

I must confess that I would prefer somebody who was an atheist to a "believer," but I think that has more to do with the fact that I don't want to be around people who I have trouble getting along with. This also has a lot more to do with how these people express themselves. The more openly religious they are, the less I like somebody. This means that the vast majority of people who are silent about their beliefs don't bother me at all. So in this way you could say that I "discriminate" on the basis of expressing religion. However, I don't think that this makes it all the way to being full-fledged discrimination, because even though my opinion of a person is colored by their beliefs, I don't think that I really discriminate against them in any way.

Before you guys tear into me, think about yourselves. I have a feeling that those of you who have beliefs as strong as mine also feel in a similar way, disliking (in some minor way) those who disagree with you.

I might add that for me, even though somebody's beliefs do inform what I think of them, that that is a very small consideration in the grand scheme of things.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:14 am

you know, eriador... i would have never believed you were that way, from your previous posts.

:lol: [\sarcasm off]

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 am

The spawn of the devil? I was pretty sure God made everybody... also, the devil was an angel back in the day, and angels don't reproduce, geez.
Jhn 8:
41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, [even] God.
42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? [even] because ye cannot hear my word.
44 Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:03 pm

Gen 6:
1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they [were] fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also [is] flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare [children] to them, the same [became] mighty men which [were] of old, men of renown.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:05 pm

Most of my friends are Christians. I am an Atheist.

As for how that effects my normal life; not by much. I do not openly spread around that I do not believe in God, or Gods. If I am asked I openly say I am an Atheist. Most people who I have told who are heavily religious always try to "teach me the way of god". They claim they're, "sorry for me" because I'm "going to hell".

Sorry bucko, I know where I'm going when I die, and I will meet you there. The dirt.

As for those who said they'd like to leave America. Get out as soon as you can. You clearly are not doing anything to make it a better place to live.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:17 pm

As for those who said they'd like to leave America. Get out as soon as you can. You clearly are not doing anything to make it a better place to live.
I'd rather try than give up.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:29 pm

If you people were really serious about changing s*** you'd join the Free State Project.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:00 am

What does the FSP have to do with how atheists are treated in America?

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:34 am

To be discriminated against, you would have to be an official religion and last I checked, you were either atheist or not. It didn't really work into its own religion, it was just the belief in lack of a god or The God. Now, religions are usually focused around a deity or some sort of spiritual being, then that makes you an anti-religion. With that said, you aren't really a group per say, you're more of individuals who believe the same way. I haven't heard of an atheist church worshiping nothing (I will not delve into that South Park episode at this time...)

So if I were to discriminate against you, then who or what would I discriminate against exactly? I mean, I suppose I could discriminate against you, but I don't dislike you or if I dislike you, it is not because of atheism, but see, I can't discriminate against your religion. I suppose (and I don't meant to use a negative example) that if you belong to a support group such as the AA, then I could discriminate against them since they're all drunkards and that would be an association discrimination (damnit...that sounds cool, but it's not.) Even though there are associations, it's not like a major standing in the atheist community. Not like the pope being a ruler of the Catholics or whatever.

So back to my main point: how can we discriminate against athiesm as a whole when there's no religion, race, etc. to discriminate against? Yeah, I can discriminate against individuals, but there is no group. I can say I'm a cat lover, but unless I join a group, I'm only being discriminated as an individual. In which case, I would say, "Why is Micah being discriminated against?" which wouldn't make much sense here because no one has an answer.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:44 am

What does the FSP have to do with how atheists are treated in America?
This is the kind of s*** you do I was talking about last night, H_K.

But to be serious for a moment, do you honestly believe any positive change (i.e., towards personal liberty/equality/justice/etc) in government is occuring with any movement/group/party/politician currently in existance, including the FSP? I was just jokingly saying that the grass is always greener, so to speak. I personally support the FSP, I hope that it works - if it does in the next few years like proposed, I'll be on the next plane to New Hampshire.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:44 am

To be discriminated against, you would have to be an official religion
No. Atheists may not be a well organized, 'official' group, but they can be discriminated against. This is just ridiculous reasoning. Not all black people were part of an official group, but others managed to discriminate against them just fine.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:45 am

I am sorry, Seiryu, but that doesn't make any sense. You can be discriminated for anything without needing to be part of an organization. Discrimination is always done against individuals who freely chose their preferences, and find themselves limited for it.
Homosexuals are discriminated in many places, and they are not an organization. Being homosexual isn't even a belief.

Non-officially, atheists can be discriminated out of bigotry, by people thinking "these people are godless, they can't be a good". Officially they can be discriminated by being punished for being atheists (for example, being atheist in Iran, or in Arabia, is a crime punishable with death).

Return to “Milagre Town Square”