Islam

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

What do you think about Islam?

Inherently Peaceful
52%
Inherently Violent
48%

Total votes: 27

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Islam

Postby hive_king » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:44 pm

Alright, taking a break from endless bickering about christianity.

Do you think Islam is an inherently peaceful religion thats been hijacked by extremists, or a fundamentally violent religion?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:51 pm

It has been inherently violent since its inception, when Mohammed was kicked out of Mecca for preaching, had more success in neighboring Medina, and went back with an army to convert the Meccans by force of arms. (It would have been better for the world (IMHO) if the heathen Meccans had simply executed instead of exiling him). It then spread by conquest as far west as Spain and as far east as India. Compare this to early Christianity, which didn't do armies for a thousand years, until the Crusades, in an attempt to take back geographically and politically some of the holy places from which the Islamics were excluding Christian pilgrims-- and the Crusades weren't for religious conversion, but for very special pieces of land.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:00 am

Their doctrine and principles do not seem violent (though I have not read all of the Quran, so I could be very wrong). Even if from its beginning there was violence, it isn't rooted in it. Islam is full of extremists, and has been for most of its existence, but I think that at its basic level it is peaceful.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:15 am

I don't really know much about the religion or the history of it. It's something I'd love to learn about if I ever find time. However, I see the effects of Islam and over the past few centuries there is always war between factions of Islam.

However, I don't pass judgment on the religion itself. Just about every religion has caused deaths, wars. It is religion that is inherently violent. Not even that, really it's humans that are.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:43 pm

Both/Neither. People have been using religions as a reason/excuse to be peaceful and/or violent for as long as the concept of religion has existed. That doesn't mean the religion caused them to act that way. Instead, they seem to just twist the words around to mean whatever they want/need them to mean to justify doing whatever it is they were going to do anyways.
The enemy's fly is down.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:14 pm

Both/Neither. People have been using religions as a reason/excuse to be peaceful and/or violent for as long as the concept of religion has existed. That doesn't mean the religion caused them to act that way. Instead, they seem to just twist the words around to mean whatever they want/need them to mean to justify doing whatever it is they were going to do anyways.
Yes, this is an excellent way to put it.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:18 am

I think that point is irrelevant... it's an easy way out. You can say exactly the same thing about any ideology.

Still that doesn't change the fact that some ideologies are inherently violent, and some are not inherently violent (even if violence is exerted in their name). This is a question about they philosophy such ideologies promote, not about their history.

What is my oppinion? Well there are two facts that weigh heavily on the matter:
-Islam was used by its founder as a tool of war.
-Islam is designed to be used as state religion (what nowadays we know it's very harmful): while it doesn't say anything about a specific government form, it "creates" its own legal system.

It can change? Certainly. Christianism was once modified to become state religion, and had to go through a process to undo that change. The same can happen to Islam. But such a change is now farther than ever to happen, because governments of muslim countries are being seized by the islamists (theocrats). Such change now could only happen in a country where muslims are not majority, or where one of those theocratic governments would fall (for example, Iran).

Cooper
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Cooper » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:37 am

Don't give up on the muslems with their sorry ideas on government. The Berlin wall came down much faster then any one expected. They just need someone to get there foot in the door and show them some love. Maybe help them to remember that other people are worth some love in return.
What's the quickest route to the nurses station?

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:25 am

The religion itself cannot be judged as neither inherently peaceful, nor inherently violent; as people said in this thread already, it is the people who create violence, not the religion.

However, I do believe that Islam has some religious intolerance in it, that is just not right, and needs to be changed.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:50 am

Maybe religion is inherently human. ;)

A.
It's all just a matter of interpretation.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:27 am

And humans are inherently violent?

suminonA
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby suminonA » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:36 pm

I think humans are inherently egocentrical. :D
It's all just a matter of interpretation.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:33 am

I would say that it's more like inherently evil, and, at the same time, inherently good, because there is no good without evil and vice versa, and again, it all depends on our POV.

But yes, humans are also inherently egocentrical. (Mother Teresa doesn't count, dwarves are not human).
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:58 pm

Islam is inherently violent. The K'uran (however it's spelled these days) talks a lot about violence, killing people who have left the religion, killing infidels, lying to infidels etc.

But, for that matter, Christianity and Judaism are also inherently violent. The Bible speaks of stoning children who talk back to their parents, stoning people who wear mixed fibers, giving prostitutes to the mob to be killed. Hell, Jesus himself says, ""I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" and talks of breaking up families, intentionally, in His name.

So, what's an atheist to do, surrounded by all these violent people?
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:46 am

Egg them all on, apparently.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:39 am

Remember that there are good sides to each religion, as well, like some of the ten commandments- teaching you to behave, to respect your parents, etc.
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:53 am

The gentle Savior said, “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them” (Mt. 7:15-20).
Now, is the "tree" discussed above the Bible, the K'uran, or the other holy book of a particular religion? Is it the Priest, Rabbi or Imam? Or, is it the followers of that religion?

If the holy book contains what we currently believe (and how can we believe anything other than what we currently believe) to be strange or corrupt fruit, we are required to reject it. If the priest/rabbi/imam tells us to do things we know to be wrong, we must similarly reject them. And if the followers of the religion, for whatever reason (themselves, their book, their leaders) are along the path of corrupt fruit, are not they to be "cast into the fire"???

Or does the above passage only count for the "other" religion? You know, whatever religion is not yours.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Or does the above passage only count for the "other" religion? You know, whatever religion is not yours.
Either way, wouldn't that be all of them in your case?
The enemy's fly is down.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm not terribly familiar with far eastern history, but is anyone familiar with any instances of holy wars among Hindus, Buddhists, Daoists, Confucianism, Shinto, etc.?

I certainly know of societies which subscribe to those religions going to war, but I'm not familiar with any examples of wars waged in their name.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:11 am

I'm not terribly familiar with far eastern history, but is anyone familiar with any instances of holy wars among Hindus, Buddhists, Daoists, Confucianism, Shinto, etc.?
Depends on what you call "holy war". Shinto isn't really organized enough to have a war based on the religion itself, but it was certainly used as a tool to gain public support for Japan's actions leading up to and during WWII. And that's "State Shinto" anyway; not the original religion.

Taosim and Confucianism seems really doubtful; especially since the latter is hard to classify as a religion.

I don't know about any of the others.

dgf hhw

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:56 pm

Dr. Mobe,

My point exactly.
--Boothby

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:16 pm

The gentle Savior said, “Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them” (Mt. 7:15-20).
Now, is the "tree" discussed above the Bible, the K'uran, or the other holy book of a particular religion? Is it the Priest, Rabbi or Imam? Or, is it the followers of that religion?
In my religion, we teach that one of the fruits of Joseph Smith was the Book of Mormon. So I would apply this to Islam the same way.

What were Mohammed's fruits? What did he bring forth? He gave us the Quran. (Is there even a correct way to spell it?) Anyone know where I can find a good translation? I don't even know what it is about.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:40 pm

If you contact a nearby mosque they may be able to give you one. Around here at Ramadan the Muslim associations often have a "free Qu'ran" offer.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:55 am

He gave us the Quran. (Is there even a correct way to spell it?)
There's so many ways to spell it I think it's a word that's actually hard to get wrong.

dgf hhw

Warmaker
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Warmaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:12 pm

Quite. A fictional wise man once speculated that evolution can't produce a species that hasn't a will to survive. Surviving requires caring more for the need of the self than for the need of the other. If that isn't the very definition of egotism, it's close.

The Q'uran isn't the only source of Islam, as the Bible isn't the only source of Christianity. Tradition and history play as much a role in the "soul" of a religion as texts and scripture. Atrocities have been committed in the name of Islam for centuries, that's quite a history and tradition.
80% rad, 20% kick-ass, 10% win. I give 110% to being awesome.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:44 pm

The Q'uran isn't the only source of Islam, as the Bible isn't the only source of Christianity. Tradition and history play as much a role in the "soul" of a religion as texts and scripture. Atrocities have been committed in the name of Islam for centuries, that's quite a history and tradition.
Eh, step back 600 years and you could say the same of Christianity. Indeed, it took us quite a few centuries more to settle down.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 am

Not being an expert, having not read the Q'uarn (but doesn't it also say this somewhere in the books?), doesn't the Q'uarn say that any form of non-retalitory fighting is 'bad' and the only way forward is peace?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:38 am

Not being an expert, having not read the Q'uarn (but doesn't it also say this somewhere in the books?), doesn't the Q'uarn say that any form of non-retalitory fighting is 'bad' and the only way forward is peace?
There are some that say it says quite the opposite. I've heard some people claim that it tells all Muslims that any non-Muslims must either be converted or killed. These also tend to be the people whose opinions I don't hold in a very high regard, though.
Last edited by zeroguy on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgf hhw

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:36 am

To add a third hearsay to the list, I've heard that the Qu'ran itself encourages peace, and that the killing of those who won't be converted comes from writings outside of the Qu'ran. Unfortunately, I haven't a copy nor the time to read the book if I did have one to confirm this one way or the other.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Warmaker
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Warmaker » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:29 pm

Eh, step back 600 years and you could say the same of Christianity. Indeed, it took us quite a few centuries more to settle down.
Don't think for a second that I'm acquitting Christian history completely. But generally, Christianity has a far more peaceful past than Islam. And if you take into account denominations of the major philosophies. Islam has far less sects that have far more bloody histories.
80% rad, 20% kick-ass, 10% win. I give 110% to being awesome.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:27 am

Islam has far less sects
If you don't change this to 'fewer' I'm going to keep reading "Islam has far less sex" in my mind.

dgf hhw

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:24 am

To add a third hearsay to the list, I've heard that the Qu'ran itself encourages peace, and that the killing of those who won't be converted comes from writings outside of the Qu'ran. Unfortunately, I haven't a copy nor the time to read the book if I did have one to confirm this one way or the other.
My perception was that the Qu'ran, just like the Bible, is extremely schizophrenic. In short, blanket statements are bullshit.

Anyway, before I vacate this thread entirely, I want to point out the irony of "Warmaker" whose location is "The Promised Land" to be calling any religion more violent than his own.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:50 pm

Islam has far less sects
If you don't change this to 'fewer' I'm going to keep reading "Islam has far less sex" in my mind.
If he changes anything, it should be histories to periods.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Don't think for a second that I'm acquitting Christian history completely. But generally, Christianity has a far more peaceful past than Islam. And if you take into account denominations of the major philosophies. Islam has far less sects that have far more bloody histories.
Hey, again, go back 600 years. No reformation, just a few pesky heretical sects that got stamped out periodically.

And seriously, you need to brush up on your medieval history if you think Christian nations weren't horrifically violent. Muslim nations nowadays look worse because they have access to modern technology. If you pretend that 100 years of religious history is like 1 year of human life, you can see both Christianity and Islam acting like a spoiled 14 year old.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:16 pm

If you pretend that 100 years of religious history is like 1 year of human life, you can see both Christianity and Islam acting like a spoiled 14 year old.
That would explain this "2012 is the end of the world" crap.

Christianity is going to OD on something in the brownies at a frat party.

Judaism has been having a midlife crisis since the beginning of the 20th century as evidenced by its drastic weight loss. Upon hearing of the demise of its younger sibling, it slips into a black hole of despair.

Meanwhile, the 14 year old brat can't handle it any better and goes completely bat-s*** crazy.
The enemy's fly is down.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”