Your Discovery of Pweb

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Your Discovery of Pweb

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:25 pm

This thread is for you to share your stories of Pweb discovery. How did you find this marvelous forum? What on earth made you want to join this crowd of nerds? I'm sure some of you have fascinating stories. My not-very-exciting tale goes like this:

In 8th grade I was doing a book project on ES for Mr. Howell's English class. The project was unlike any I'd done before. We had to design a CD cover for our novel--complete with track listings and the lyrics to one song. Being my little over-achieving sellf, I decided to make it the coolest looking cover ever. Due the futility of finding any pictures Enderverse related, I desperately wished for a movie--at least there would be screen caps that could be used. During this quest for anything having to do with ES, I came across Pweb and the few fanart pictures it had, as well as the poems, movie posters, etc. I fell in love, and was utterly grateful for the resources Pweb had. Eventually, I stumbled into the forum. After lurking around as a guest for a while, I joined--in the beginning of January 2005. The end. (Wasn't that thrilling?)
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Mine is a rather lengthy, roundabout, thoroughly boring story. I became crazy about Dune but was waiting to see the miniseries. I tried to glean some info about it from the internet, crashlanded onto a Dune forum, joined it and started looking for other forums. I also discovered the Dancing Lawn (Narnia) but soon became disappointed with it because of the growing number of fangirls who were only interested in the happenings of William Mosely. I searched more. Found hatrack and this one simultaneously. And, here I am!
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- on secret tunnelling, Empire

"I cannot eat these two eggs. They are completely different sizes!"

- Hercule Poirot

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:52 pm

I got to the end of Shadow Puppets and I saw there was extra pages afterwards, so I looked them over and found Pweb's address there and decided to check it out.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:59 pm

My dad pointed it out to me in the back of Shadow of the Hegemon, I think, and I looked at it back in 2001 or 2002, but I didn't join until November 2003 when I looked at it again and decided to give it a try.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:50 pm

Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:07 pm

Is it really that hard to copy and paste your answer? :lol:

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:08 pm

... Yes. That, and I didn't feel like it.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

lovesonia
Soldier
Soldier

Postby lovesonia » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:35 pm

My story is rather convoluted. Initially, sometime in 2005, I looked it up after Nick (hive_king) told me about it. I looked around and lurked a bit. It seemed interesting enough. I promptly forgot about it for a while, as I do most things. Something sparked the memory of it, I came back, looked around, I think I joined but never posted. Then it crashed and I forgot about it for a while. I finally came back in November, after Nick mentioned it again, joined, and have posted too many things whilst killing time. I keep telling people I'm not quite ready to jump in on serious topics but I think it's mostly that I'd have to actually put thought into it, thus defeating my killing of time.
HAiaSMG

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:40 pm

i don't remember what led up to it. however, i was searching for information on the ender's game movie. saw this, liked the site, and the news i was getting from it, so i joined. history. funny thing was that i did this like a month or so after it originally started up. maybe a tad later. not much though.

anyway. it was round about the time that i just found out about the movie. and i don't remember how that came about.

hated hatrack... which i'd been to before but couldn't get into. too stuffy. at least it was at the time. dunno about now. still don't like it. never go there. here's my home.
Ubernaustrum

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:41 pm

In 2001, my sister led me to Hatrack. I joined the Young Writer's Forum there. Someone there made a thread about The Philotic Web. So I came here. I didn't like the size people used for sigs back in the day, so that's how I got my sig. I left in 2002 to go on my mission, and since I've been back in 2004, I've still been an off-and-on member here due to being a full-time college student, and working various part-time jobs.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:01 pm

Short story, I saw the mention of Philotic Web in the back of Shadow Puppets and came on over.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:18 pm

Saw it in the back of Shadow of the Hegemon in '02. I'd read through all the books but Speaker for the Dead in about a week. What can I say? I obsess sometimes.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:43 pm

I was randomly searching the web for EG-related stuff back in 2000 or 2001. I found Fresco due to the information about the Ender's Game movie (oh how excited I was... how funny that seems now), and joined the forum there. Alai (aka Craig) referred me to here, saying that it's not nearly as dead over here as it is on Fresco's forums. And he was correct. Thank you, Craig, for giving me Pweb.

Edit: Lilbee, how did that cover ever turn out?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:00 am

Kinda convoluted... I read EG back in 2001, then I found Hatrack Young Writers, then when that board closed down, many of those people retreated to a small board called "Sleepless Whispers", where I was for awhile. Slim and someone else were there from pweb and talked about pweb a couple times. I came over to check it out in Feb. of '02, and the rest is history. I've gone back to Hatrack and posted a tiny amount (mostly lurked, and during pweb downtimes), but pweb has been my home for almost 5 years. Crazy.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:07 am

Yeah, early '02 brought a lot of people - including myself. I was finishing up high school, and a friend of mine had pretty much the run of the place. He was sort of a student-handyman, the only one that could fix the computers for various teachers and other faculty. He'd meet me when I first got into class, say that he needed my help with some tech problems, and we'd wander around campus for a couple hours; surfing the web, chowing down in the cafeteria or just walking the halls looking for freshmen to hassle. I'd estimate that this was about 75% of my time that year. It was at this time that I found EG, as the school year wound down, in about March '02. I'd read EG and all the sequels up to that point, but I didn't have much to say about them so I stayed in Milagre for the most part.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:28 am

Where you have plenty to say about everything else. :P

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:30 am

Where you have plenty to say about everything else. :p
Not really. I have nothing to say about the "confessions" or "hug" threads or any of the other drama-llama threads hanging about (despite how rich they are in mock quotient).

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:44 am

Edit: Lilbee, how did that cover ever turn out?
This is the front part of it. It could be better, but it worked just fine.

And thanks to the artist, though I don't think he posts here....
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:26 am

I was bored one day and did a google search of Ender's Game. When I joined here I had never posted at any other forums so it was all new to me, and almost like a game. It took awhile to get used to it and act like a "real" person, if that makes sense. I hardly posted for the first 4 or 5 months I was here. After I realized I wanted to be part of the board for good I changed my screenname.

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:47 pm

my brother and sister told me about it. i have no clue how they knew though.
the opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:36 pm

Saw it in the back of Shadow of the Hegemon in '02. I'd read through all the books but Speaker for the Dead in about a week. What can I say? I obsess sometimes.
I just realized when I looked in the back of Shadow Puppets recently, that I know some of you that OSC mentioned by name.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:02 am

I joined pweb cos I needed someone to share my love of EG about 5 years ago. My real friends just weren't cutting it. :P
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:06 am

I just realized when I looked in the back of Shadow Puppets recently, that I know some of you that OSC mentioned by name.
Don't remind them. Once they get started, they NEVER stop. They are like the Energizer bunny on steroids. :wink:

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:14 am

Have I said anything, even once, since the forum restarted? :p

(I rarely, if ever, said anything on Pweb II, either.)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:15 am

I'm still jealous. Blasted missing the opportunity.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:33 am

I googled for Ender's Game, which led me to Hatrack. It was August '02, right after Endercon. During my short time there I kept hearing things about some other forum that had people at the con, so I came here to see what all the fuss was about.
The enemy's fly is down.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:29 am

It was summer and the choices of activities were: go outside and suffer the blazing sun, or stay inside with all my beautiful books.. I'm sure you can guess which I picked. I reread EG, fell in love, and then googled it and went through every link which came up.. I picked my favorites and revisited them many times.

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:09 am

Forget which book it was, but at the end of it there was a website. Decided to see what it was about.
Fight the machine!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”