Harry Potter 7

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:37 pm

i still think Harry offs Voldemort avec Gryffindor's sword.

the wheres of the horcruxes aren't often things i think about, as it's difficult to guess, although i fully and freely confess my secret hope (no at ALL supported by text, mind you, purely fanciful thinking on my part) that Luna Lovegood's family somehow came into possesion of the infamous Ravenclaw dish/chalice/wand/mystical-thingy/what-have-you and has been using in as a candy dish or some other banal thing for years. which doesn't at all work if the ravenclaw object is a horcrux. but still. can't you just see the gang stopping by luna's after searching endlessly for the damn thing, only to have her pick it up and offer it across teh coffee table saying "Care for an every flavor bean, anyone?" radish earrings bobbing...

oh, how i LOVE it!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:36 am

the wheres of the horcruxes aren't often things i think about, as it's difficult to guess, although i fully and freely confess my secret hope (no at ALL supported by text, mind you, purely fanciful thinking on my part) that Luna Lovegood's family somehow came into possesion of the infamous Ravenclaw dish/chalice/wand/mystical-thingy/what-have-you and has been using in as a candy dish or some other banal thing for years. which doesn't at all work if the ravenclaw object is a horcrux. but still. can't you just see the gang stopping by luna's after searching endlessly for the damn thing, only to have her pick it up and offer it across teh coffee table saying "Care for an every flavor bean, anyone?" radish earrings bobbing...

oh, how i LOVE it!

jfojeifjeojfeoijfej! I love Luna. I want that to happen SO bad.

ed: fixing the quotage
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:59 am

Yeah, I'm not convinced that the where is something we can really determine right now, the possible locket aside.

... I'm really preoccupied with what the seventh one is.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:07 pm

Question: why did it take 24 hours for Hagrid to get Harry? He shows up on Privet Drive on Tuesday (?) night, but we keep hearing all day that Voldemort was defeated the day before. So why did baby Harry spend 24 hours (or thereabouts) in the ruins?

I was rereading the Sorceror's Stone for the upteenth time, and that only just occured to me...

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:26 pm

Shock? Deciding where the infant ought to go?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:40 am

... so they left the baby in the ruins for a day??

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:13 am

I was thinking more like they dug around to find him, then carried him around aimlessly for a bit sobbing, and then had to decide who he'd live with.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:27 am

Well, everyone was really fond of his parents and upset about their death. Maybe the people who rescued the baby Harry Potter weren't very eager (and too upset) to part with him quickly and dump him on his muggle aunt and uncle.
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- on secret tunnelling, Empire

"I cannot eat these two eggs. They are completely different sizes!"

- Hercule Poirot

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 am

Could it have been that it was early Tuesday morning, while it was still dark? Like, 3 or 4 am or something? Then it's only a couple hours after "the night before."

That, or maybe they just didn't find out about the Potters' death until later. Maybe Dumbledore forgot to check the alarm-doohicky I always supposed he would have had set up.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:18 am

There had been a whole day of celebrations before Harry was brought to the Dursleys (the knowledge that the Potters had died in the attack was common knowledge by lunch-time of that day as far as we know). This may be due to the fact that Hagrid, who had no magical powers, was sent to retrieve the baby. However, you have to ask the question, why didn't Dumbledore just apparate there and return in a second? And the answer is most likely because J.K. hadn't thought up apparating yet.

There's also the possibility that Dumbledore assumed Harry Potter had died along with his parents and it took him awhile to think of sending Hagrid. However, since Hagrid seems to have gone to the Potter's house with the expressed purpose of finding Harry, as far as I can recall, it seems Dumbledore knew for sure Harry hadn't died somehow.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:54 pm

Well... my guess is that, since they had a secret keeper, noone (but the secretkeeper) would know where the Potters where hiding. So they would have to look for them (they would be able to find the place since the secretkeeper had released the secret). And also, deciding what to do with the baby would take some time.

Btw, Hagrid had magical powers ^_^ he was just not supposed to use them since he had been expelled from Hogwarts and had his wand broken.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:31 pm

There was a huge Dark Mark over the house, those are hard to miss.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:54 am

There was a huge Dark Mark over the house, those are hard to miss.
yep, that's true lol ^_^

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:57 am

Again, I don't think that "I don't know what to do with this baby" logically follows to "I shall leave this baby alone in the ruins until I decide, haha!"

Beyond that--jota, the purpose of the secret keeper is that no one can find the house without going through the secret keeper the first time, not that no one else could find it, period. 12 Grimmauld Place, for example: Harry could not tell anyone where it is, but if something happened, he would certainly be able to show up if he wanted to. Sirius obviously knew where they were hiding--I suspect Dumbledore knew as well, and it's possible that Hagrid also did. At any rate, Hagrid also describes the muggles as "swarming around" (again, mysteriously a full day after the murder), which implies that they can see the house.

Jebus, but didn't Dumbledore apparate to Privet Drive that night??[/i]

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:58 am

I wouldn't think they'd just leave the baby in the ruins if they're deciding. Does it say that they left him there for that long? I can't recall and don't have a copy on hand. I'd think that they might end up spending the day there or at a safe pub or something, though, and the baby presumably with them.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:06 am

They said as much. Dumbledore arrived on Privet Drive Tuesday night and met McGonagall there, and she asked where Harry was, and Dumbledore said that he had sent Hagrid to get him. When Hagrid arrived, he had come directly from Godric's Hollow.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:45 am

Incidentally, some of you might find this amusing. I certainly did.

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:09 pm

Yeah, the only thing with that editorial, anonshadow, is that Ron's a teenager. Until you get a lot older, everybody acts like that for awhile. About everything, not just romantical stuff.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:23 pm

... I am aware of that. I find the editorial amusing because I find it ridiculous.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:33 pm

so, wait, you're saying ron isn't a wife-beater?
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:53 pm

No, he only abuses Harry. Poor Harry, hiding those black and blue marks from when Ron vented his rage at him. Not only does Voldemort want his blood, but his best friend assaults him, too.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:41 am

Man, Harry's life sucks.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:56 am

Jebus, but didn't Dumbledore apparate to Privet Drive that night??
That's unclear. Here's the passage of Dumbledore arriving on Privet Drive:
A man appeared on the corner the cat had been watching, appeared so suddenly and silently you'd have thought he'd just popped out of the ground.
It might have been an apparation without the signature noise, or perhaps he had just removed an invisibility cloak.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Huh. Point.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:40 pm

Now that I think back to the Patronus (sp?) spell, why is it the thing that gets rid of Dementors? It seems that Dementors FEED on HAPPY feelings, and what exactly is a Patronus? The manifestation of happy feelings? If you send a large mass of happy energy at the Dementors, why do they flee? Why don't they just stand their ground and eat the Patronus? It would seem that if you threw a scapegoat at a lion, the lion will eat the goat, giving you a chance to escape, right? It won't run from the goat.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:43 pm

I don't know if a patronus is the manifestation of happy feelings, more then that it just requires them. The patronus acts as a counter to what a dementor is, from my understanding. That obviously doesn't fully explain it though, so while I can see where you're coming from, it might just need a "shut up, it's magic" explanation.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:20 pm

Hmm...I guess you're right. Doesn't affect my reading either way.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:24 pm

Just to add onto what Jebus said, my reading of the Patronus is that the dementors get their power from sucking happiness out of you and feeling you fall into despair. I don't think that it is solely joy that nourishes them. I think they need to suck it away, so to be confronted with something that cannot despair is to come face to face with something they cannot defeat.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:45 am

i agree withyou, anon... otherwise, why would have they accepted being guards of Azkaban? It's not as if a group of criminals being deprived of freedom and happiness are going to produce that many happy thoughts for dementors to feed on. They must feed on taking happiness away, not on happiness itself.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:56 am

Ahhh...okay. I'll tell my friend that. he was the one that originally pointed all this out to me.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:39 pm

*bump*
Swing by Mugglenet (or any other HP fan site) to check out the cover art. It looks pretty sweet.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Looks pretty cool.. but seems really light (not sure if that's the best word) compared to the rest.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets." -Goku, DBZ

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:55 pm

clearly it indicates that the story arc is going to be ending on a somewhat high point (after the dark, scary art of the more recent books). Or at least that's how i see it.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:05 pm

I think this is the first time the Bloomsbury children's cover is the one I like least. Usually the Scholastic (US) one is a lot worse. And... man... the Bloomsbury adult one looks cool... and I want to know what the Slytherin pendant is about...
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:16 pm

I seriously can't wait for July.

It's so weird knowing what the last book looks like.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”