Harry Potter 7

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Harry Potter 7

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:03 pm

I feel obsessed, but that's my life. The title for HP7 has been released, for those of you who don't know. If you want to find out on your own, go straight to JK Rowling's site and don't look anywhere else--it was almost spoiled for me by Borders Rewards. For everyone else, the title is:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

So, what do you guys think about the title? What will happen? Who will die? All that fun stuff. This thread is for all things HP7. I'll probably post something mildly intelligent later, but for now...

*continues fangirl squeeling*
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:09 pm

I personally love the new title. It's ominous and fun. I really hope the book lives up to the title and the general hype.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:27 pm

Oooooh, ominous. I must admit, I was disappointed with the last book (I miss Dumbledore), so I'm really hoping no one dies in this one. I was bawling when Sirius disappeared, and I don't think I could take the death of another character. I mean, how much is poor Harry going to have to go through?
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:39 pm

I mean, how much is poor Harry going to have to go through?
With any luck, his own death. I do hope any deaths she does in this book are clearer than Sirius's. It took me a bit to figure out what on earth had happened there.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:25 pm

Rei, same here, it wasn't until I read the opening paragraph from the next chapter did I realize what happened to Sirius.

I too love the new title, but it pretty much confirms that Harry is going to die... At least, that is what I think.

Salaam

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:37 pm

I agree with Rei and Craig. I don't think I'll be that distraught if Harry dies. I'll be sad, and probably cry, but Ron dying would be far worse (or Fred or George--I would be ticked if she kills either of them off). The title makes it sound really creepy and slightly slasher film-esque. So, I'm expecting lots of death, and subsequent sobbing. But perhaps I'm being pessimistic. Maybe Voldie will be the only one to give up the ghost, and everyone will live happily ever after.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:42 pm

I fully expect Harry to die. She gets darker and darker every book (I'm sure she's tired of writing the dang series), and if she kills Harry, she won't have to write another HP book again.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:00 am

I don't like it. I don't like it at all.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's enough. It's not weak or lame or boring, that's for sure.

But it's scary! I know everyone thinks she is going to kill off Harry... including Dan Radcliffe himself, who thinks it would be fun to play a death ([grumble]way to perpetuate it...[/grumble])... but I don't want her to! He's the Boy Who Lived! It would just be too sad to kill him! No, Jo, don't do it! Don't kill any of the trio! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

[/hysteria]

... I'm okay.... I swear......
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:07 am

If it's any consolation, I can't think of anyone who sincerely wants Harry to bite the dust. Perhaps she is trying to convince everyone that Harry is a dead man so that when he survives we will be even more happy and relieved.

[aside]I love how there are so many ways to say "die."[/aside]

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:24 am

I don't think that Harry will die. As dark and realistic as Rowling tries to get when it comes to dealing with death, she knows that her readers identify with Harry a great deal. I don't just mean that they like the character, I mean that when kids (and even adults) read these books they see themselves as Harry. She can kill off Sirius or Dumbledore to show the readers that people close to us can and do die in real life, and even give us a taste of what it feels like and how to move on. However, killing Harry himself won't convey the same message about suffering loses but persevering nonetheless. It'll just be depressing to most people, and I don't believe that that is how she will end a series that above all else is known for bringing joy to young readers. I don't believe that the series is meant to be tragic, and no matter what act of heroism that Harry sacrifices himself to accomplish, I think his death would give the series as a whole too dark a tone. Young people need to learn that even good people can die before their time, but they also need to know that heroes don't have to be martyrs and that it pays to be the good guy. She doesn't have to (or intend to) write another book regardless. It's not necessary to Kill Harry just to solidify that.

That's just my opinion, of course.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:38 am

Oooooh, ominous. I must admit, I was disappointed with the last book
that amazes me; i think the 6th book was absolutely brilliant and possibly the best one. i was disappointed (slightly, it's still hp, after all) with the 5th, although it's grown on me a lot in the rereadings.

as for the title: perfection.

i still hold out hope that she won't k.o. Harry.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:43 am

I'm not sure what I think about the title yet.

I'm all excited now.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:04 am

I love the new title. I know a lot of people who are calling it corny and stupid, but I really like it.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:23 am

I honestly don't see what is corny or stupid about the title.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:08 am

I honestly don't see what people like in these books. I might believe that her children's series has some redeeming quality - if it was children that were reading it. I'm all for getting kids to read more (even if it's this kind of BS fantastical story). But this tripe has gotten millions of supposed adults to spend even more millions of (wasted) hours reading kiddie fare. As if the intellect of Western adults could get any less mature...

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:48 am

elitist attitudes in a Harry Potter thread aren't the best idea... :P

spoilers in my theory below

The title clears up a lot, imo. Deathly Hallows=Arthurian Legend=Cup,sword, Wand&Stone (locket).

My question is, did Voldemort plant the Gryffindor Sword when he returned to hogwarts looking for a job or was it the only hallow not made into a horcrux (figuring the title makes it pretty damn certain the ravenclaw horcrux is her wand)? And if it wasn't made into a horcrux is that how Harry is going to kill Voldemort? Sort of echoes the killing of Sauron (no, not in the war of the ring, before that), eh? If Harry does use Godric's sword to kill Voldemort that's a beautiful bit of foreshadowing in the second book, slaying Slytherins symbol with the sword only to later slay slytherin's heir with the sword.

On the other hand if Rowling continues to dabble with foundation-myth epic iconography Harry could be pulling an Aeneas/Adam/Ruggiero/Will&Lyra and he willingly sacrifices himself (killing Voldemort in the process) in order to establish a new ideal world and culture (unifying muggle and magic worlds?). If this is the case, expect Harry to be given a vision of what his sacrifice would accomplish after traveling beyond the veil (land of the dead). I wonder how likely it is such a journey might be provoked if Harry uses the veil to destroy a founder's hallow (horcrux). Harry sacrificing himself would create a stunning symmetry with both his Mother's sacrifice over him and Dumbledore's sacrifice. Unfortunately such a sacrifice would be too close to Christ's sacrifice and I don't see Rowling creating that strong a parallel.

On the other hand there is the more melancholid Arthurian / Robin Hobb ending... no more magic and/or exile. Harry, in stopping Voldemort, has to choose between Voldemort's eternal rule or wiping out magic. That'd be a depressing end.

Is it possible Voldemort gets Godric's sword and makes it a Horcrux during the middle of book seven. What if Harry GIVES it to him because Voldemort captured Ginny and they trade. I may actually vomit if something as cliche as that happens. Harry Potter isn't an action-boom Bond movie.

If the founders hallow's represent the four magical objects of the Magician tarot card--sword, wand, cup, pentacle--do they represent something more, like the four aspects of magic (different from elementals). Battle, intellect/enchantment, healing, and charm perhaps? I'm thinking of the types of magic we've seen performed when I use the word aspect.

Jo has said the founders are also linked to the four elements, Gryffindor fire, hufflepuff earth, ravenclaw sky and slytherin water. So these are probably related to the nature of magic as well.

By using the four hallows, perhaps Voldemort intended to invoke immortality by associating his soul with each of the four natures and aspects of magic in existence--making him immune to everything magical, (perhaps invincible and immortal in a related manner?)

do we have any arthurian experts on the board? I'm only familiar with it in terms of star wars. I"m much better on greco/roman foundation myth.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:04 am

You know, i might be mistaken...
but i always thought that maturity didn't have to do as much with what you read or watch than with how you assume your responsabilities, and how you take decissions... (or how you don't use psychotropic substances :stoned:).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:08 am

Jota, if that's some kind of unsubtle jab at my statements in other threads regarding psychotropic substances, I worry that perhaps you are suffering from some kind of neural disorder. Because I don't recall stating, explicitly or implicitly, that I abused psychotropic substances. I certainly did correct certain individuals on their scientific misconceptions and on their assumption of anecdotal evidence, but I defy you to show that I stated anything else. I doubt you'd be able to make that kind of libelous statement accusing another PWebber of abusing illegal drugs if the target was anyone but myself. Secondly, if I were you I wouldn't equate responsibility and decision-making with maturity, at least not for the majority of the world's adult population - because if that's what counts in maturity, most people in the world as mature as a five-year old when it doesn't get it's way. Thirdly, for locke, elitism is the idea that your own personal belief, opinion or collective is subjectively better than any given person/idea/collective in opposition; so yes, I am an elitist. I don't know how you're judging just what is the "best idea" in a Harry Potter thread (other than having no Harry Potter thread at all), so I don't have any other answer for you.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:54 am

Personally, I'm more interested in finding out which side Snape is really on and why/how than whether Harry lives or dies. To me, Harry is the equivalent of LotR's ring bearers. Once Voldie dies, his life's work will be done. If he dies as well in the process, then at least he went out with a bang. However, if he lives, he'll be in much the same predicament as Frodo. What do you after you've already done the greatest thing you possibly could do? So whether he lives or dies is irrelevant, either way he effectively sacrifices himself to save everyone else.
The enemy's fly is down.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:24 am

The thing is, about the hallows... every title so far has been about something introduced in the book, that we didn't know about before. I don't think "the Deathly Hallows" can really refer to the Horcruxes unless she's changing that pattern. But then again, it's not like there are a lot of possibilities for meaning of "hallows".... *shrug*

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:33 pm

Personally, I'm more interested in finding out which side Snape is really on and why/how
He's good. This has always seemed quite obvious to me. I just hope that Harry doesn't do something too stupid before he figures it out. Actually, I think that Snape is far more likely to die than Harry.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Maybe Voldie will be the only one to give up the ghost, and everyone will live happily ever after.
She's already said she's going to kill two, so while Voldemort may be one of them, the other will surely be a main character. I'm starting to think Harry and Voldemort are going to kill each other in a final blaze of glory.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:15 pm

it's voldemort and snape; harry got the reprieve and shall live to see another day. and she'd better keep her mitts off ronald, or she'll have a very unhappy Kelly to deal with.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:23 pm

dude, i'm not very big into the series. anyway, it stands to reason that the author would take the deaths in a completely different way. or i would if i were the author. and i think most authors would. the deaths will be two important, but not pivotal characters. jsut to throw everyone for a loop.
Ubernaustrum

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:25 pm

Oh come on, man :D didn't you see the smilie? Geeze, why do you have to take everything so seriously, especially in a thread about Harry Potter. It's just natural to make that kind of joke about someone who defends the benefits of cannabis use.

And well, i still equate maturity to what i said. And i add also as a condition: being able to tell in which contexts things are said, and to tell accusations from jokes. :lol:

And i am still kidding ^_-

I would like to say also that, since writing is, too, a commercial activity, the amount of sales of a certain novel should be accounted as a parameter to measure how good it is. A capitalist like you should agree with me on that :wink:

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:33 pm

I would like to say also that, since writing is, too, a commercial activity, the amount of sales of a certain novel should be accounted as a parameter to measure how good it is. A capitalist like you should agree with me on that :wink:

i know you're joking around, and i adore harry potter, but i must protest loudly against this statement.

The DaVinci Code is absolute CRAP and it was a best seller. kill me.

:::rerail:::

mr_thebrain, i don't think i follow what you're saying about the deaths being bestowed on important but not pivotal characters. the character deaths have become increasingly pivotal as the series progressed. i can only assume in the final books the deaths will be the most significant.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:40 pm

i maintain that it'll be a couple of nobody characters. maybe mentioned in one or two books, but not playing much of a role. they turn into important characters in the last book. and just when you actually start to care about what happens to them WHAM! el dead-o.
Ubernaustrum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:17 pm

However, if he lives, he'll be in much the same predicament as Frodo. What do you after you've already done the greatest thing you possibly could do?
Frodo didn't have a girl though. Harry does. Actually, she's the main reason I'd be mildy depressed if Harry dies. Unless she dies too, then all will be well.

In regards to minor characters dying--I think I might actually be really sad if Aberforth dies. I don't know why.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:54 pm

Actually, she's the main reason I'd be mildy depressed if Harry dies.
That is actually the case for me too... except more than mildly. None of the trio, or Ginny, can die. Why? Because there's a future for R/Hr and H/G, dammit! Nobody paired off can die! Now, if only JKR agrees with me... (voice in head: "Lily/James?" ... DAMMIT, Jo!) :P

As for characters in danger... from the 'pattern' in the fifth and sixth books, it seems that Lupin and Hagrid are in danger of dying, as the closest thing to parents that Harry has left. McGonagall too, probably. :(

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:03 pm

As for characters in danger... from the 'pattern' in the fifth and sixth books, it seems that Lupin and Hagrid are in danger of dying, as the closest thing to parents that Harry has left. McGonagall too, probably. :(
exactly, less expected but a tearjerker none the less.
Ubernaustrum

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:29 pm

i disagree, actually i think there's a strong case for both lupin and hagrid surviving.

lupin is harry's last link to his parents. hagrid is a sybolic bridge between the magical and muggle worlds for harry.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:32 pm

and they've served their purpose!
Ubernaustrum

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:41 pm

Actually, because Lupin is the last surviving link to Harry's parent's, he'll probably bite the dust.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:09 pm

i must disagree. it would be breaking with quite a few literary traditions to leave Harry with no parental figure whatsoever, unless he dies. in which case are all bets are off and it doesn't really matter who else JKR kills.

we know Peter ought to die, and most likely will, having been spared once. Lupin is the last of the original four maurauders, and the only one who really could be expected to survive. in all fairness, he's the most cautious and intelligent. he has influence over Harry, but allows him space to make his own choices. He's a link to Harry's past.

and most importantly, he's already paid his price. He's a werewolf. he's permenantly... what, ill? as a result of Volemort's activity. not to mention that if you read Queer Theory into the books, which i do--being the good little lit student i was and am--he's lost Sirius as well.

Lupin paid his debt, and it was a steep one, but i think JKR will spare him, for Harry's sake.

the Goners are Snape and Voldemort. although i'm also absolutely certain that there's no way the entire Weasley family can make it without suffering a loss. my money's on Percy or one (but not both) of the twins. unfortunately, there's a solida case for Ron as well, but that can't happen because i won't be able to survive it.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:32 pm

Percy I could see snuffing it. Or even Charlie or Bill. I will NOT be happy if one of the twins snuffs it, though. That aside, I do expect Lupin to survive, and it wouldn't shock me if Hagrid did, as well.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”