Getting to know you

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:12 pm

I'm Ethan.
Or Ozzy.
Or Clyde.
I'm a 21 year-old undergrad getting a degree in linguistics.
I've officially been part of pweb for... almost 4 years?
On the board I'm more of an observer than participant: I check the board at least once a day, but rarely post.
I'm much more active in the chat room.
I especially enjoy the religion/moral philosophy section, but that's also where I'm the most afraid to post.
I'm horribly non-confrontational (hence the not posting)

This is the only forum I have ever joined (Hatrack doesn't count, I was going through pweb withdrawal) and probably the only one I would ever consider joining. As little as I feel I participate, I love this place, and I love the people (even the ones that piss me off). I think my life would be very different right now if not for Dear Bob.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Buggerwugger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Buggerwugger » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:34 pm

My name is Dan, some people call me Bosley, and as of today-Gambit (for my amazing card throwing abilities)
I live in Jackson Mississippi. NO, I am not a redneck, though that is not to say they are in short supply here.
Everyone who knows me seems to think that I am cynical, sarcastic and argumentative, but think of myself as realistic and I act somewhat jaded on life.
I am 17 years old, and am amazed to find that suddenly I am the only one here not in college or beyond.
I play guitar, and LOVE classic rock, though I can listen to a wide range of music: anywhere from softy Beatles to harder Metallica and Megadeth, but NOT screamo. Even having having said that, my music knowledge is somewhat lacking, seeing as until I started playing guitar I had nearly quit listening to music altogether.
I play video games... what else is there?
Negativity is bliss.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:40 pm

Honestly, I think it would be more interesting to introduce other people. I see some of you so differently than how you've described yourselves, or the things I most love about you are things you're not going to mention, either because you don't see them or it would sound arrogant.
Do it.

^.^
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:16 pm

Honestly, I think it would be more interesting to introduce other people. I see some of you so differently than how you've described yourselves, or the things I most love about you are things you're not going to mention, either because you don't see them or it would sound arrogant.
*signs petition*
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:18 pm

Not Found

The requested post was not found.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:22 pm

yea, that is a good idea...but the only problem is not everybody is as well known as some. like barely anyone could descrie me. but other than that it is a good idea
the opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:25 pm

i think anyone can jump on the bandwagon. we just all want to hear what Janelle has to say about us, apparently.

but i'm down for describing some people myself if anyone is up for a whole circle-description deal.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Do it then! *peer pressure*
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:33 pm

the following is a description of me i had previously written, and which still remains, on my myspace about me section. nice.

i am a writer who doesn't ever actually write anything anymore. i read a lot, and i know nothing about pop culture that really matters. i can't keep a house plant alive and i do not like cats. i have a lot of emotional baggage, but in a witty, amusing way that will serve me well when i finally get around to writing my memoirs. i am a terrible liar. i smell like vanilla. always. i hate puns. i swear quite a bit. i am secretly an idealist. i read Salinger when i'm depressed. i eavesdrop on strangers' conversations while riding the subway. i am fluent in American Sign Language. i scare easily. i am extraordinarily ticklish. i am actively learning how to receive compliments with grace. i am self-deprecating while simultaneously believing a lot of really flattering things about myself. i am overly-forgiving and excruciatingly slow to anger--however, i have been known to be terrifying when i hit my breaking point. i am a pack-rat; i keep absolutely everything. i'm sentimental and i cry easily. i love to laugh almost more than anything; i truly value people who can make me laugh, and it is one of my dearest ambitions to someday be funny. i am not funny. i am never, ever, ever on time. my back constantly hurts because i am incapable of cracking it by myself. i sing in the shower. i bruise easily. i drink coffee, i drink alcohol, and i smoke cigarettes. those are my vices and collectively they make me feel writerly, which is important as i certainly don't write enough lately to feel writerly on my own. i have an awful lot of hair. i am notoriously long-winded. the 4th of july is my favorite holiday. i have an alarmingly accute memory, particularly for dialogue. i'm now a full-blown insomniac. i don't really like chocolate. i like taking baths. i get my tarrot read every 6-8 months in Salem out of habit and a desire to have control over my own life. i am indecisive. i love playing chess, gin, and scrabble. i enjoy lengthy conversations. i am happiest when people that i care about are happy. i am a klutz. i am obsessed with fairy tales.

and above all: when i love, i love fiercely.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:21 pm

I love that, Kelly.

Although I'm surprised by the part about you not liking cats. I thought that was a prerequisite for being a writer.

(Being such a cat lover myself, I automatically assume all people I like are also cat lovers (and liberals for that matter) and it always surprises me when I'm wrong.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:27 pm

(Being such a cat lover myself, I automatically assume all people I like are also cat lovers (and liberals for that matter) and it always surprises me when I'm wrong.)
Oh no! You've gone and described me!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:33 pm

*jumps on both the "I wanna introduce myself" and the "I want someone to introduce me" bandwagons*

I am Kirsten. I'm 27 (in less than a month). I have an M.A. in Counseling and am working on my Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology (2.5 years left, including internship). I want to be a professor when I grow up. And spend a day a week seeing clients, possibly doing assessment. I live in North Dakota, I went to undergrad in Memphis, and I my immediate family lives in West Texas. I am chronically single and am doing my best to live up to the "crazy cat lady" destiny that I am certain awaits me. In that line, I have two cats, Tara and Reece (short for Tarantella Gore Kirona and Reece Puddingsten).

I'm moody and procrastinate far more than is healthy. Also, I'm anxious and awkward in social situations. When I'm not doing the anxious awkward thing, though, I've been told I'm quite funny. I enjoy my sense of humor, anyways. I have a tendency to make obscure references. My favorite color is deep red. However, I also have a lot of purple in my life. The funny thing is that purple fills me with deep happiness, and I buy purple things, but I don't actually like the color. It's just it's the favorite color of so many of my favorite people that it reminds me of those people and makes me happy.

I have a minor obsession with Breakfast at Tiffany's. I have little dots in the margins of my book next to all the references to felines, including Cat, the cat mask, and the lions outside of the library.

And I'm a slob.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:43 pm

yay! kirsten likes me!

to be fair, i dislike cats on principle. i actually quite enjoy just about every cat i've spent a decent amount of time with. my reasons for disliking cats are childish and psychologically rooted. ha.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:55 am

I interpreted that just slightly differently; as in multiple people are describing other people...not just Janelle.
I did too. But it's more fun to jump on the bandwagon and make her do it. :stoned:
The enemy's fly is down.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:21 am

I am Judie.
You know, I don't know if I ever knew your real name. I always just thought of you as Ela.
Yea, weird.

Hi... Judie...

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:02 am

Wow, that was an unexpected response. :D

Well, because I'm silly and apparently want to kill myself during finals week, I actually started writing bits last night. And it's actually really fun. It's gonna take me a good long while to write something about everyone, and obviously I know some of you better than others... so I'll post things in installments as they pop into my head as long as no one gets offended that they haven't been written about yet. :)

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:42 am

Promise.

*crosses heart*
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:16 pm

I am Sara Lyn S.
I live in New Mexico
I'm 30.
I'm married to a wonderful man (for 5 1/2 years) whom I'm trying to proselytize over here. He says he's coming....
I have two sweet children whom I talk about constantly.
William is three and loves green, puppies and his 10 (imaginary) green puppies.
Anna is our family's "Cartann Minister of Very Small Spaces"
(If you get that reference, you'd do well at our house.)
I spend all my time with those two, and it shows.
I love books, which also shows.
My computer dies when it's tired of being used. Still no word on the new one. Grrrr.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

RoyalMother
Soldier
Soldier

Postby RoyalMother » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:24 pm

I am Emmala
I am older than dirt.
I am the mother of the two most amazing children in the world.
I am a nurse.
I work in nursing home (and love it).
I am a leftie.
I am 5'7".

Let me introduce to you:
helenberrycrunch:
she is very intelligent, spiritual, loving, considerate, patient, and truthful.
She is the child God gave me as an example of what I SHOULD be.
"I only came into existence a short while ago"

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:31 pm

i am Erin.
I am 13 years old and i live in Louisville Kentucky.
i read and write a lot.
and umm... i don't really know what else to say :D
the opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm Nicole. I go by Nic, Niki, Teeny, Nic Chick, Batman, and, of course, Pweb's Princess.

I've been here well over half a decade. How much longer, I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that Craig directed me over here from another forum that I no longer can even recall.

Pweb's become a tad like home to me. It's one of those places that I can seek refuge in when nothing else makes sense. Family fails, Relationships fail, Friends fail. Pweb remains. I don't necessarily rely on it often - at least, I hadn't for the last little bit, until I rejoined. It remains there, though, no matter how long I neglect it.

Most of you have known about my trials and tribulations of the past, and they need not be brought up. They have, however, helped shape me to who I am today.

I am a student and a mentor. Mature and Immature; Beautiful and Plain; Innocent and Corrupted; Smart and Ridiculous; Chic and a total Mess. I live on that fine line between the youth and naivety of my adolescense and the bitterness and maturity of my adulthood.

I'm an actor at heart. Nevermind that I haven't performed in over 3 years. My heart is still with the stage and everything that encompasses it.

I have a passion for film. I may not be the most knowledgable person on the subject, but I do what I can and learn as I go along. I danced most of my life, and I am truly inspired by any form of creative intelligence.

I'm a writer. I'm not always gramatically correct, and I don't often speak in the most linguistic and beautiful ways. I try, however. I have recieved awards, for everything from poems to essays to short stories. Accomplished certainly doesn't mean knowledgable in my sense though. I can't bear to look back on what I write. I tend to be like that a lot though; I rather prefer the present. The past is far too hard.

I love cats - animals of any sort for that matter. I also generally love people, being the social creature that I am. I have a dream that someday I will mean something to someone. Someone, somewhere will be affected by my existance. I hope one day to have some sort of affect with my life on at least one person, in a positive way.

I'm the sort of student that is knowledgable in and of itself. I am bright, but unmotivated. Visually artistic, but a total mess. I'm much more than meets the eye, and much less, in that same sense. I don't work. I enjoy material things, and simutaneously feel contempt for them. I'm liberal, but moderately so. I tend to have viewpoints from either party, but I do not see the Republican party as being beneficial to the nation at the time being.

I'm the kind of girl who will paint her nails black and then put on a pretty, pink skirt. I haven't quite found my place in the world yet, but I'm trying. More than anything, I just want to be happy. Overrated as it sounds, I miss that feeling.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:32 am

My name is Jorge, and i am 27 y.o. (i think). *counting* Yeah, definitely i am 27. So far.
I live in Galicia, so i am Spanish. So far. At least while Galicia remains a part of Spain (which i would like, unless something weird happens in Spain).
I am a PhD student of condensed matter physics: I study gold from a computer.

I am Christian... you could say i am a Catholic on hiatus. Lately the Church (the hierarchy) is making a lot of theological mistakes, so i cannot comply with them and keep my intellectual honesty. Soon i will be forced to send them an excommunication bulla, if they do not correct themselves.
I am a liberal progressive... no wait. Libertarian progressive. Yeah, that's right. I believe in individual freedom, but also in the wellfare state (quite an ugly word you have in English, btw; we call it "wellbeing state"), to the point it should grant medical attention and education. And stablish certain quality standards in trade goods. And...
I am also Galician nationalist. But i don't actually believe in nations, in flags or anthems. I wouldn't kill for my nation... i would only kill to protect my loved ones. I wouldn't die for my nation... i would die to protect the system of freedoms granted by a constitution.
I am the kind of person that falls in love very quickly. But i keep that feeling for very long time. Even years. Even if it is unreturned. Yeah, i like to drown in my own melancholy: it makes me more creative.
It takes a lot to make me mad at someone. But i cannot keep mad for long... they just need to tell me a joke.

I love the earthly pleasures (good food, good movies, good company), but i love the spiritual pleasures too (good books, good phylosophy, good company... not necesarily in that order!).

I am a contradiction within a paradox. I am the negation of myself. But the sum is not zero.

And you should never, ever, take whatever i say at face value. But, don't take it as a complete joke either. I am a moderate person, but you have to be moderate even about moderation.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:54 pm

Let me introduce to you:
helenberrycrunch:
she is very intelligent, spiritual, loving, considerate, patient, and truthful.
She is the child God gave me as an example of what I SHOULD be.
I knew you liked me.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:22 pm

I'm Sarah.
I'm from Canada and am in grade 12.
I play the violin and piano and have a habit of daydreaming when I should be stressed out.
I joined pweb in April/May this year (I think) but rejoined in October.

I'm also slightly besotted with Harper.
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- on secret tunnelling, Empire

"I cannot eat these two eggs. They are completely different sizes!"

- Hercule Poirot

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:56 pm

I'm Luet, Lutya, Nom. I just turned 30 last week (on the same day as Steph's anniversary, I believe). I recently chose to quit my State job of 12 years after 9 months of sick leave due to depression/anxiety. It's been a rough year.

My top hobbies can be summed up by a book mark I have which pictures a bearded dragon with his tongue out and the caption "I lick books!" I have two lizards that I love and I read a lot. Some other things that I have a wee bit of an obsession with are: chococat, little house, modal, birkenstocks/earth shoes, pharmaceutical knowledge, chai, and of course, osc.
Last edited by Luet on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:06 pm

pharmaceutical knowledge
*giggles*

maybe i'm the only one that finds that so funny. ;) oh, and i'll share my knowledge of drugs with you when i go to med school!

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:24 pm

I am Judie.
You know, I don't know if I ever knew your real name. I always just thought of you as Ela.
Yea, weird.

Hi... Judie...
After so many years of using Ela as a sn, I answer to that, too. ;)

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:00 pm

I am Sibyl. Yes, that's my real first given name, put on my birth certificate in 1944.

I was born and raised in independent Christian Church, drifted out into the Age of Aquarius (that's "New Age" to younger people), looking for God in all the wrong places (and maybe some of the right ones, but I couldn't find Him there), and got back into Christianity about twenty years later, currently the Episcopal Church variety, so in that way, my life has been rather neatly divided into thirds.

I'm a college dropout: the Sixties got to me, "Tune in, Turn on, Drop Out", though I took quite a few courses after getting off the four-year-track, never graduated.

I was married and divorced, and now the mother of one adult daughter (and son-in-law) and one infant granddaughter.

I've been a Science Fiction fan since about as long as I could read, which I did very young, though never got into "Fandom"

I had a lot of different kinds of jobs for earning money before I retired, but about none of which, except during the specific period that I was working at it, could I say "I am a...."
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

Ender97
Launchie
Launchie

I have arived

Postby Ender97 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:33 pm

Hi all I am Richard, (and yes I do respond to Ender).
I am Qing_Jao, A.K.A. Sara S.'s husband.
28years old and crazy as hell.
Live in NM, close to the cave.
I grew up in the Army, treid to get into the Air Force (bad knees) and then went into ministry as a missionary.
Have studied history most of my life and love to
"suck the marow out of life"
Want to start my own company doing development work around the world.
Found EG when I was about 12 and it spoke to me in ways I still have troube explaning to this day. I often feel that He and I are kindred, and well Bean is close to my heart as well.
from man of war to man of faith to family man, He and I have walked a similer path.

Fish Tank
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fish Tank » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:27 am

My name is Bradley Michael Klutz.... yes that is my real last name.

Am known by the nickname "Fish Tank".

I am 21 years old and hope to become a police officer within the next few months.

Have 12 cats, their names are Sad Eyes, Dustpan, Ragmop, Buttons, Little Baby Mikes, Sweetie Pies, Pretty Girls, Alex, Max, Coyote, and Fishy.

A hermit crab named Apple.

Two snakes, named Solid and Liquid... get it?

A bunny named Sarah.

and a Guinea Pig named Black.

I love the outdoors, fishing, hiking, swimming, camping, herp hunting. Anything that gets me outside. I spend my summer's on the boat or up at the cottage.

I've been bitten, stung, sprayed, maimed, clawed by anything you can think of.

I can play the piano well and am learning how to play the guitar.

I play a fair share of videogames. Guitar Hero 1 and 2 being my current favorites. Wii Sports is probably a very close second. And Gears of War running third place.

I love to read, just finished Karen Traviss' first four books of the Wess'har wars. One of my favorite series. I am currently reading Michael Crichton's book, "Next".

Michael Crichton is my favorite author, first novel I ever read was "Jurassic Park". Second favorite is...gasp.. Orson Scott Card.

I am right handed....
Fight the machine!

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:23 am

Just one question...

What on earth is herp hunting?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:34 am

I assume it's like herping; that is, looking around for reptiles. Or... something like that.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:07 pm

but... but...

you look to friendly to be a cop!

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:38 pm

Fish Tank, please, please don't become a cop. Then I'll have to hate you. I'm sorry, it's just the way it has to be.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Promise me you won't beat peaceful protesters, then I might start to accept you choice of careers. Oh, wait, that's just the Portland police, isn't it.

Still though. My friends have suffered enough at the hands of cops.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”