Tell me your name stories

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Popularity of a Name
May 7, 2010

Alea is not in the top 1000 female names for any year of birth in the last 10 years.
:mrgreen: !!

Wait...
Similar female names for births in 2009 Name Rank
Aaliyah 63
Alia 771
Aliya 653
Aliyah 158
:cry:

Unacceptable. Thieves and they can't even spell it correctly!
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri May 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Well, at least your name means "high, lofty, sublime" :D

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri May 07, 2010 3:40 pm

My name means "healer", which would have been really cool and prophetic if I had become a doctor...
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri May 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Terrible name I saw yesterday of a 5 year old: Deztany.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri May 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Worse than that:

La-a. Pronounced: Ladasha.

Seriously.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri May 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Yeah Jacob has actually been number one SINCE 1999. I think its more that the Twilight novels have characters named trendy names, than that they made them popular.
WRONG. I know the cause here, and correlation is always causation. Dur.

Isabella, though. Can't really argue with that, right?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Worse than that:

Seriously.
The pediatrician my sister works for treated a girl in Utah with that name. Utah is the WORST for bad names. Check out this website: The Utah Baby Namer.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Fri May 07, 2010 7:25 pm

My parents gave me a Biblical name. They misspelled it. As if hospitals don't have any Bibles in them.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri May 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Worse than that:

Seriously.
The pediatrician my sister works for treated a girl in Utah with that name. Utah is the WORST for bad names. Check out this website: The Utah Baby Namer.

Seriously, what is wrong with Utah? The name thing just baffles me. Is it some kind of Utah Mormon thing to give your kid a really unique/weird name?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri May 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Seriously, what is wrong with Utah? The name thing just baffles me. Is it some kind of Utah Mormon thing to give your kid a really unique/weird name?
For some odd reason, it is. Their hair all looks the same (I have lots of fun pointing out Utah hair to Brian!), so they think their names all have to be different. Different is not always good! I am thankful everyday that I'm not a Utah Mormon!

Haven
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Haven » Sat May 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Im a Utah Mormon... my name is Marissa. so there! lol I will agree though that people here have a complex about naming their kids. i used to work at a childrens photography studio and ive seen just about everything when it comes to crazy names... i have a theory though. i think its because here you either have a really common name that 5 other kids in your class have, or you have a really really unique name with a really random spelling.

I will admit i never met anyone named Marissa until i was in 8th grade, then we were in the same class and i absolutely hated it. HATED it. I went by some stupid nickname my friend gave me and i hated that even more. so sadly now i have this same complex that i want my childrens names to be unique...

but just so you know, i run all my name ideas by my family (who make it their personal charge to come up with every possible way to make fun of them, because if they can think it up then so can a mean little kid in school) and i really do listen to them if they say its too crazy... mostly cuz the wont shut up about it hahaha
Find out who you are... And do it on purpose.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat May 08, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah Jacob has actually been number one SINCE 1999. I think its more that the Twilight novels have characters named trendy names, than that they made them popular.
WRONG. I know the cause here, and correlation is always causation. Dur.

Isabella, though. Can't really argue with that, right?
Actually, I have friends who have planned for years to name their first baby girl Isabella. It's the middle name of both of their mothers.

I don't know. I think somehow sometimes there is just a mass consciousness thing where the whole world collectively takes notice of a name. I mean, I'm not saying that Twilight has nothing to do with it, but it's like suddenly a bunch of people find a pretty name in the same year that they think is unique -- and then it turns out to be ridiculously popular. Or, well, moreso than it was before. It's like when you've been thinking of an old song you haven't heard for years and suddenly radio stations cannot stop playing it for the next month.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat May 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Im a Utah Mormon... my name is Marissa. so there! lol I will agree though that people here have a complex about naming their kids. i used to work at a childrens photography studio and ive seen just about everything when it comes to crazy names... i have a theory though. i think its because here you either have a really common name that 5 other kids in your class have, or you have a really really unique name with a really random spelling.

I will admit i never met anyone named Marissa until i was in 8th grade, then we were in the same class and i absolutely hated it. HATED it. I went by some stupid nickname my friend gave me and i hated that even more. so sadly now i have this same complex that i want my childrens names to be unique...

but just so you know, i run all my name ideas by my family (who make it their personal charge to come up with every possible way to make fun of them, because if they can think it up then so can a mean little kid in school) and i really do listen to them if they say its too crazy... mostly cuz the wont shut up about it hahaha
I thought I was only only Mormon still active on here! Guess I was wrong! :)

I say, be unique in the naming of your kids, just not weird, like so many names on the utah name website. I thought we achieved that pretty well with Kinley's names. Everyone thinks it's beautiful, even though they've never heard it before.

Haven
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Haven » Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Kinley is way cute :D i really like it...

One of my favorite names i came across when i was in photography was Petra :P the funny thing is she had no idea it was a charicters name in a very popular book haha she named her that because thats where the baby was born lol and her other daughter was named Brittan i think for the same reason :D

My top names right now are (big suprise) Haven Ivy, for my girl name and Remy Knight for my boy. :D i love it
Find out who you are... And do it on purpose.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Wed May 26, 2010 2:40 pm

My name's not "Flathead"!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed May 26, 2010 2:42 pm

But you've got a nice flat head, Flathead.

Mommy Brontosaurus
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mommy Brontosaurus » Wed May 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Nope, nope, nope.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”