Honeymoon opinions

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Where should we go?

Europe - Italy
36%
Europe - London
18%
Europe - Spain
18%
Europe - France
18%
Mexico - Cancun
5%
Write in (see below)
5%

Total votes: 22

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Honeymoon opinions

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:13 pm

So I got the word on Saturday that My fiancee and I will be recieving a honeymoon from her rich Aunt. This is of course for the August 2007 church wedding, and not for Saturday's quickie wedding. This was not altogether unexpected because it's what her sister got when she was wed. However it does raise the question.... Where?

You see while it's a gift, they are letting us choose where. This puts us in a little bit of a situation because we do not want to choose anything too expensive. We can't choose anything United States either because we're not certain that she will be able to enter the country yet at that point.

Her sister picked Mexico. Personally I would hate to go to Mexico. I don't think it's a very interesting place, culture-wise. (I'm certain some of you will argue that. It's a personal thing. I just can't find anything redeeming about the country.) Anna likes the idea of going to cancun for a couple of reasons. First off, it's pretty cheap and it's all inclusive. Second off, she's got a nice body and likes the idea of laying on the beach for 6 days and tanning. Me? Yeah, I'm not a beach person. I am a pudgy, white, nerdy american man who doesn't like the sun. The sun hurts my eyes — just too damn bright.

I like the idea of going to Europe. I like the idea of seeing all that history first-hand. All that sight seeing. Not to mention that there are plenty of places in Europe that can be romantic. Besides, Mexico is like U.S.A's bastard third world red headed step child. it's exceedingly cheap to go there, and I could foresee us taking a trip there later in life. Whereas if we don't take this opportunity to see Europe, it's entirely possible we'll never have another chance.

There are three other things that make me want to pick Europe. First: Anna has shown an interest in going. Second, I was comparing prices and a trip to Rome or Paris or Athens are comparable to a trip to Cancun (and london is actually cheaper). Third: when Anna's Aunt offered the honeymoon her phrase was "We're going to give you a honeymoon for your wedding gift. Where would you like to go? Italy?" Of course all-inclusive isn't possible in Europe. We'd have to pay for touristy things and food and transport... But I think I could manage that cost.

What do you all think? Where do you think we should choose? Where's your dream honeymoon spot? Where have you gone and would suggest? Where would you suggest avoiding? Right now I'm leaning towards Paris.
Last edited by mr_thebrain on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ubernaustrum

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:18 pm

It all really depends on whether you want to work on your honeymoon or not. Europe is work, all that history and walking and touristy things. All there is to do in Cancun is be lazy and... well, ya know.

Personally, I'd vote Europe and I'd vote Italy.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:23 pm

well, i'm already lazy, and we already screw. don't need to go anywhere in particular to do that!
Ubernaustrum

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:24 pm

We went on our honeymoon to Pagosa Springs, CO. We loved it!

But, it doesn't seem like a place for you. My first suggestions would be Luzern, Swizterland. Brian and I found it incredibly beautful, quaint, romantic, and by far our favorite place in Europe. My guess is though, that you'd be looking for a bigger, more well know area. Paris is very nice. Pretty much anywhere in Italy. I like Venezia, Firenze, Genova and Aosta. There are lots of romantic places there.

The one problem I see of going on honeymoons to places like Europe are that there are so many things to do, that you don't have much time to just "be." Brian and I were going non-stop for 3 weeks in Europe and didn't see even close to everything we wanted to. I'd be afraid of going and not seeing much (because we're on a honeymoon!), and then regretting later that we didn't do everything we wanted to. Maybe if you're going to do Europe, doing something like southern France where wifey could get some sunny beach time and you don't feel pressured into seeing all the tourist sights. *Shrugs* Just some ideas! Good luck!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:29 pm

thanks for the input, it'll give me some more options to discuss with her.

The way i figure it is that we'll have 7 days or so for the trip. if we don't get to see everything... i'd consider it incentive to go again later.
Ubernaustrum

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:26 pm

Personally...I LOVE France. Paris is incredibly accessible and then you can go to southern France for sun and countryside and castles.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:31 pm

Can either of you speak another language?

I think I might go with London, myself, at any rate.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:41 pm

i can speak a some spanish, and a smattering of french. she's fluent in italian actually it's her natural language, and she knows some french as well... more than i do anyway.
Ubernaustrum

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:56 pm

I voted cancun, but that's cuz that's where we were going to go before stuff got messed up... (Long story) anyway, we didn't have a honeymoon. We eloped, and he went to work that night. Europe's cool, too.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:24 pm

Not Found

The requested post was not found.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:42 pm

not ignoring it. thank you for giving your opinion. you basically listed about the only things that would interest me at all.

i'm pretty sure there are only 2 reasons anna has an interest in mexico. 1 because it's sunny beaches. 2 because it's cheap (all inclusive) neither of those include anything interesting.
Ubernaustrum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:23 pm

If she wants to go to beaches, I definately wouldn't go to London!

Italy sounds like the best to me, especially if she speaks Italian!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:44 pm

I will be in Spain two months from now, so I can tell you what it's like then (Barcelona, at least)!

I've been to Cancun, and it's nothing worth going for. Basically a bunch of American teenagers being idiots. Alea's suggestions, however, are much better than Cancun (I've been to Teotihuacan and climbed the Pyramid of the Sun -- only half-way though, since I'm afraid of heights); Mexico has some pretty cool and diverse history.

Guanajuato could be romantic -- the Alley of the Kiss (a depressing story but romantic nevertheless), and mariachi bands. It's a quaint little city, I definitely recommend it.

For beaches, Puerto Vallarta is nice -- not as partyish as Cancun, more culture, but still beaches. I'm not a beach person either.

I've only been to Norway in Europe, so that's all I've got... good luck :)
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:58 am

Well, in Spain you can really have a bit of everything. And my oppinion has nothing to do with me being Spanish! :D

Spain (and Croatia) can boast the most appreciated beaches from all Europe. And even then, you can chose between the mediterranean beaches: lot of sun and warm waters; or the northern (atlantic) ones: mostly deserted, a bit warm, and chilly water. In the mediterranean, you have an island that became the European capital of DJs and rave parties: Ibiza.

Almost every city you can visit in Spain has its roots in middle ages, and most have buildings worth of notice. About museums, there are countless, but in Madrid you can see one of the three most important museums in Europe, "Museo del Prado"... and it is possibly the best museum of the world regarding to Barroque paintings.
Barroque is an architectonical style that appears everywhere in Spain. Specially, if you are interested in religious tourism, in the Path of St. James, a pilgrimage route that goes from Paris to my city (Santiago), where the body of the apostle St. James is supposed to be buried.
Still, Madrid is a Neoclassical city, and Barcelona is Modernist.

Spain is a country that has always counted tourism as its main industry, so you can be sure we excell in it. :D

Final note: Spain is cheaper than France and UK, about as expensive as Italy, and more expensive than Portugal and Greece.

Man... it looks like i am paid by the ministry of tourism lol

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:04 am

If there weren't so many foreigners in Europe I would totally move there.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:01 am

If you're thinking Italy, I'd recommend Venice. It's quaint, beautiful, and there is tons of great food and shopping. It's also extremely romantic.

Croatia is my favorite when it comes to beaches. It's absolutely gorgeous, and very relaxing.

And anywhere in the south of France - Cannes, Naples, etc - is amazing for a honeymoon.

I think I prefer more low-key, relaxing honeymoon destinations, though. If that's not what you're thinking, ignore those suggestions ;)

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:01 am

Well I think we're looking for a nice balance of relaxation and tourism. We're really enamored with the idea of Venice, and if they offer Italy we’re going to take it. We kind of have to leave the decision in her Aunt’s hands. We’re probably going to be asked where we’d like to go, to which we’ll say “Well, of course our dream spot would be pretty much anywhere in Europe (Italy especially) but it will cost you too much.” Then we’ll probably offer to just take a cabin up island (Vancouver Island that is). Ultimately we’ll leave it up to them to decide. Then they will probably give us a choice of say 4 places. We’ll probably decide from there.

Every country has things that we’re interested in — even Mexico. It’s just that some countries have far more interesting things (in our opinion) and more things we can agree on. Italy and France kind of speak for themselves as to all the things that interest us. Spain really interests me for a few reasons, but topping the list, I would love to see the birth place of modern luthery! …Although that wouldn’t interest Anna all that much. Heh. I also think I made it clear to her that there is a lot more chance of visiting Mexico later in life than making a trip Europe any other time. It’s such an inexpensive trip! We could actually go and see more of the interesting things in Mexico if we didn’t do an all inclusive too.

After plenty of discussion about it last night, Anna’s finally realized how much I dislike the idea of a tropical island. She’s also realized that she’s not the only one making the decision. I think I also managed to convince her that we should be able to afford to buy our own food and such while in another country. Whatever happens I’ll let you all know.

Keep the suggestions and votes comin’! It’s all helping me out quite a bit! Thanks!
Ubernaustrum

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:35 am

I've always wanted to go to Ireland, just as a vacation, but I think it'd be nice as a honeymoon, too. It's so green and beautiful, very romantic :)
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:11 pm

so uh... did some research on it this morning. apparently

Not the Best Time to Visit
Hurricanes may threaten Florida, the Eastern seaboard, the Western Caribbean, and Mexico’s Gulf Coast in July-September.

(eek. so apparently not a good place to go that time of year!)

Late August-September is a good time to visit:

* South America
* Australia
* New Zealand

TROPICAL DESTINATIONS (These ones they consider to be below the hurricane belt and thus are less at risk)
* Aruba
* Barbados
* Curaçao
* Fiji
* Central and western Mexico

EUROPE
* England
* Greece
* France
* Italy
* Spain

SOUTH PACIFIC
* Tahiti
Ubernaustrum

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:38 pm

I've heard wonderful things about Barbados.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Australia is awesome. Beautiful beaches, etc. But July-August is Winter. Probably not the best time.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:19 pm

what about the flight back.

we could end up on an island then. with a group of stange people and monsters and hatches and other people. heh anna would love that.
Ubernaustrum

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:33 pm

Honolulu, Waikiki, BEACH FRONT! WOOT!
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Honeymoon opinions

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:18 pm

Bold, my emphasis.
Me? Yeah, I'm not a beach person. I am a pudgy, white, nerdy american man who doesn't like the sun. The sun hurts my eyes — just too damn bright.
But yay...or something.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:04 pm

yeah. here's the thing. i don't like beaches. never have. still, anna adores them. but out of all the other choices we had, hawaii was good for me too, cuz there's a ton of things that i will enjoy that don't have anything to do with the beach. almost all of them are romantic too. so yeah. she can have her beach. but i'll enjoy the other things we do. also, the beach front gives us a spectacular view (checked it out online. it's marvelous.) and apparently a lot of stuff happens pretty much right outside our hotel that's on the beach that has nothing to do with tanning, or wearing a bathing suit. :P
Ubernaustrum

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:03 pm

Might I suggest a trip to the Big Island to look at Kilauea? Kauaʻi is beautiful, too.
Last edited by anonshadow on Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:16 pm

yeah, we'd love to. unfortunately we're getting 3000 CAD for the trip (or so) which leaves us about 500 dollars for food and entertainment. it'll be a bit tight. i think for the most part we plan on buying food at the market (to save some $) and spending most of our time doing things that are free, like walking the beach. the only real expense that we have planned is to attend a luau. cuz really... how can you go to hawaii without going to one. other than that, she's alright with spending part of one day at the U.S.S Arizona memorial. cuz I can't go to hawaii and not go there.
Ubernaustrum

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:28 pm

I've stayed at Adventura Spa Palace in Cancun a couple of times. It's all inclusive and kids free. By that I mean there's a minimum age restriction. It's also just expensive enough to eliminate "American teenagers being idiots." I wouldn't suggest going there if you have the option of going somewhere you have more interest in, but characterizing it as a place with only the options of being lazy and screwing is hardly accurate. I climbed a freaking pyramid the first time we were there (and that trip was part of the all inclusive fee).

Return to “Milagre Town Square”