The Smells in My Kitchen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:03 am

My husband bakes fresh bread every Sunday.
This week it was whole wheat.

I love him. :)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:25 pm

I decided to try and make the Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana soup at home. It turned out awesome and yummy.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:34 am

I made homemade granola last night and my house still smells like it...so good.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:17 pm

I found this little joint on the northside of spokane that makes the best potstickers possible! I'm feasting on some now, yum :P

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:09 am

Grrr that is not a smell from YOUR kitchen! Shame on you. You should be posting about how your potstickers are the best EVER and mocking us for them. But you can't, because the best potstickers ever came from the Backalley Woodfire BBQ and Grill, before it closed down.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 pm

In my defense I did bring them straight home to the kitchen and neatly lined them up with some fixins. :wink:

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Last night's dinner was pretty ace. Smelled great, too.

Step one: roast 6-8 cloves of garlic in olive oil, making the house smell of delicious garlic.
Step two: mash the garlic into potatoes, along with obscene amounts of butter and some sour cream.
Step three: slice and slooowly fry an onion until it starts to crisp. Fry just a bit longer.
Step four: grate lots of extra-old cheddar.
Step five: baked beans (no lard!).

Layer them. Put to broil for a few minutes if you want to melt the cheese. Eat. Feel your arteries clogging.

I wished I had some fried mushrooms to add, but aside from that it was soooo delicious.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Aesculapius
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Aesculapius » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Mmm my mom and I just made some Fetuccini Alfredo. The best I've ever had! So delicious! I want some more but I think I already ate too much. Ugh.
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
-Benjamin Franklin

Aesculapiüs

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Alright, Smelly people from colder climates, I need help.

I've had oatmeal today for the second time ever and it was just as bland as I remembered (actually, moreso because first time I had it, I experimented by throwing some apple slices in, which served the purpose of having two experiences in one: awesomeness and blandness on alternative bites). It was basically textured nothingness. How do I fix that without upping the calories too badly? Today I tried adding a TSP of sugar and some cinnamon sprinkled in; I couldn't taste any of it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Use brown sugar, instead. It has (slightly) fewer calories and the taste is more pronounced because it has molasses in it.

ETA: I also add a few raisins.

ETAx2: If Jayelle hadn't mentioned it, I would have forgotten: I always substitute milk instead of water when I'm making it.

ETAx3: I swear I'll get the grammar right one of these days. I "would have forgot." Really? Fail.
Last edited by Syphon the Sun on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:26 pm

If you hadn't insulted me, maybe I would help.

Okay, I'll help.

Plain oatmeal =bland city.
I often add brown sugar (like, 2 Tbsp worth), milk and raisins. Milk really helps. If you don't want to add sugar, you can always add any number of fruits (peaches are great), nuts, dried fruit or spices.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Also, put on cinnamon with the brown sugar. LOTS of cinnamon if you're going to insist on sticking to a teaspoon of sugar. Which, frankly, I think is not enough to make oatmeal taste good. Personally, if my oatmeal does not taste like a bowl of fresh, warm oatmeal cookie, I am not happy. However, even if you don't have my level of sweet tooth, surely you could put on two or more and, like, not eat half a bite of something else during your day? Sugar, just plain, really doesn't have all that many calories. I mean, if you don't go totally overboard.

Also, sometimes instead of raisins I use dried cherries (again, not helping the calorie factor, but definitely ups the yumminess factor). Which are awesome. SO awesome. REALLY awesome. Also, adding walnuts will not help the blandness, but does give texture and protein.

Oh, and important: Add the raisins/cherries right away and stir them around so that they get all hot and yummy. Do this before adding milk. Also, don't put too much milk on it, as that makes it too cold. Cold oatmeal = awful. But put some on. Just a splash.

Oh, and are you cooking it on the stove or are you doing those nasty microwave packets? I hate those. Stovetop, baby. That's just it. And if you do it stovetop, make sure that you're not putting in too much water (or milk, if you follow Michael's advice. Personally, as far as what I cook it with, I can't tell a difference from water v. milk.) Cooking with too much liquid makes thin oatmeal, and I, personally, think it tastes twenty times better when it's thicker + the milk splash. Oh, and sometimes I put the raisins/cherries in while the oatmeal is cooking because it gives the oatmeal just a bit more sweetness overall and I love cooked raisins/cherries.

God, it's been way too long since I've had oatmeal. It is FREEZING in my office right now, and I really want some. Maybe I'll make some for supper tonight.

(And, wow, do I sound incredibly, unbelievably midwestern or what?)

ETA: Oh, and if you're making it stovetop, rinse out the pan right away. Cleaning dried oatmeal out of a saucepan or bowl is REALLY irritating.

ETA: And now you know what I'm thinking about? When I was little and didn't care about how much sugar I put on and just put on the brown sugar and let it melt without stirring it, and taking a big bite that had a piece of a river of melty brown sugar in it. That was good.

(Basically, in my view, oatmeal is the perfect canvas against which to place other ingredients that taste good warmed up.)
Last edited by starlooker on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:25 pm

In England, the insist on putting a dash of salt in before cooking it. I myself like to have it with cinnamon and/or nutmeg and dried currants (not raisins). It's not the same, but you can always put some splenda in, too, if you're worried about calories.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:36 pm

And now that my brain is stuck on the topic of bland food that I, coming from strong midwestern roots, find really yummy, I am thinking I might actually try to make some lefse next weekend. For the first time. Yay! That thought makes me happy. I'll let you know if it materializes.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Hmmmm....I may have oatmeal for dinner tonight.

I make mine with milk. I see this as VERY important. It's texture and flavor is far superior when made with milk. I usually add brown sugar and maple syrup (or maple extract would do, if you're calorie conscious). Sometimes I'll stir in a package of Instant Breakfast powder to give a nice vanilla, chocolate or strawberry flavor.

Ok, it's settled, oatmeal for dinner! It just sounds so warm and delicious when it's 7 degrees outside and has been snowing for two days!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Yes I can finally post here! Usually I don't smell anything while I'm posting...

Anyway, I smell steak and potatoes :D
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:21 pm

But...you all come in here to brag about your good smells, I thought. How's that an insult?

Which, frankly, I think is not enough to make oatmeal taste good.

However, even if you don't have my level of sweet tooth, surely you could put on two or more and, like, not eat half a bite of something else during your day? Sugar, just plain, really doesn't have all that many calories. I mean, if you don't go totally overboard.
I'll clarify, if it's good for you stuff (basically any sort of fruit), I don't calorie count. I know I need that and mixing some of it with other foods is the only way I'll touch it. Like the peaches Jan suggested? I honest to God don't even remember if I've ever had one and it may turn out to be something I need to pair with something else to eat.

I didn't even think of adding more sugar to it because the TSP I added initially looked like a s***** (even if I couldn't taste any of it) and I was/am a little concerned that my sweet tooth (more like my entire set of teeth) would be set off and I'd attack all the sugary stuff we have. If I can avoid too much granulated sugar or packaged desserts for a few days, I can get a grip on my tendency to overeat them when in my line of sight. I kid you not, if I had to claim an addiction, it'd be sweets.
Also, adding walnuts will not help the blandness, but does give texture and protein.
I snack on these, and walnuts, every day at lunch so I think I'll keep those separate.
Do this before adding milk. Also, don't put too much milk on it, as that makes it too cold.
So...boil in water, mix cooked with little bit of milk? Okay. I thought it was boil milk, mix oats in. But a closer reading shows you can do it either way.
Oh, and are you cooking it on the stove or are you doing those nasty microwave packets?
I am cooking it on the stove. Microwaving would take out all the fun I've had thus far in my oatmeal experience; not the taste, the authenticity or something of making it. Maybe the taste, too, though I wouldn't know.
ETA: Oh, and if you're making it stovetop, rinse out the pan right away. Cleaning dried oatmeal out of a saucepan or bowl is REALLY irritating.
Yes, I almost always do a pre-wash soak and when I forget, I just let it soak in the dishwater while I clean other stuff.
(Basically, in my view, oatmeal is the perfect canvas against which to place other ingredients that taste good warmed up.)
I'm not much around a kitchen, so if that was all the advice you had given, I would have laughed at how little that would help since it's likely cheese would be the only thing to come to mind. But you, Jan, Ali, and Syphon have been good help. Thanks, guys. :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:02 pm

Like the peaches Jan suggested? I honest to God don't even remember if I've ever had one and it may turn out to be something I need to pair with something else to eat.
You've never eaten a peach?!? Wow. I must say that I don't like the fuzzy exterior of eating an actual peach but the taste of the peach meat is incredibly good. That's why my favorite fruit of all time is a nectarine. The peach taste minus the fuzz. Canned peaches are okay but nothing like the real thing.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:04 pm

But...you all come in here to brag about your good smells, I thought. How's that an insult?

Ah. Sorry. Thought you were calling me (us northerners) smelly in a stinky way. :)

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:17 pm

Can I just say, it is ridiculous how excited I am about oatmeal right now? I'm going to go work out and then go home and make oatmeal. I'm pretty sure we still have some dried cherries.

Had you not posted about oatmeal, Alea, I would have had no idea how utterly opinionated I am on the subject. I'm kind of enjoying it.

Yes, you were reading me right. Cook it with water to a nice, thick texture and then splash on some milk once it's in the bowl. Stir or not, it's up to you. Sometimes I cook it with half-milk, half-water (and then put on milk). I don't know, actually, if I've ever cooked it with just milk. Hm. Might try that sometime.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Oh, Kirsten, I enjoy your enthusiasm for the art of Oatmealing. :D
You've never eaten a peach?!?
I may have but it's doubtful. I've kind of given up on trying to remember since at the very most, I've had it once or twice. It obviously wasn't very memorable for me if I did.

Ah. Sorry. Thought you were calling me (us northerners) smelly in a stinky way. :)
I wasn't before but now I'll be wondering...:P

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:31 pm

You've never eaten a peach?!?
There are some other things she hasn't eaten that I just... there are no words. I don't remember what they are but... there are no words.

Anyway, oatmeal! I have oatmeal two days out of every seven (or any day I don't have work, or I get up exceptionally early). I just put in (afterwards) raisins and milk. I also put cinnamon on it, but that's mostly because we have a bunch of cinnamon; I'm pretty sure I can't really taste it. Only thing I think it really needs is the milk and some kind of fruit; dried cherries sounds good, actually.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:48 am

I had my oatmeal this morning! Had to use golden raisins, couldn't find dried cherries.

It was way good.

Yay!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:40 am

Like the peaches Jan suggested? I honest to God don't even remember if I've ever had one and it may turn out to be something I need to pair with something else to eat.
You've never eaten a peach?!? Wow. I must say that I don't like the fuzzy exterior of eating an actual peach but the taste of the peach meat is incredibly good. That's why my favorite fruit of all time is a nectarine. The peach taste minus the fuzz. Canned peaches are okay but nothing like the real thing.
Nectarine high five!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:30 am

Am I the only person on here that absolutely hates oatmeal? Not just hate, but physically can not eat. I will start to gag at the just smell of it, which kinda sucks because my nephew loves the stuff and I use to babysit him a lot.

Ugh, I get the shivers just thinking about the stuff. Bleh.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Nectarine high five!
Yes! *high fives*

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Does anyone notice these subjects?

Postby Jayelle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:25 pm

I woke up this morning and suddenly remembered that I had forgotten to bake cookies for our staff Christmas treat day. I jumped out of bed and ran into the kitchen (where Paul was feeding Ginny breakfast) shouting:
"Cookies! Cookies! I forgot cookies!"
He thought I might be sleepwalking.

Anyway, since it was 7am, I had plenty of time to bake them, so I made yummy chewy gingersnaps. They are so very good.
Not only does my kitchen at home smell like them, but the staff room at work does too.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:00 am

Fried onions and roasted garlic. Man that's a great smell. Tonight's gonna be curried chickpeas and fried okra. Mmmmm.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:33 pm

They don't have a strong smell, but my pregnancy nose sure smells them while I'm making them. I made 88 truffles yesterday and today. 24 traditional fudge, 24 eggnog and 40 cookie dough truffles. YUM! I've only eaten one, since my glucose test is tomorrow. And because they are for christmas eve, so I really shouldn't eat all of them now. I did save out 3 cookie dough ones for Brian, since he's LOVES cookie dough and I don't want to make him wait all the way until Thursday evening to try them.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 pm

Wow. That sounds so yummy.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:04 am

Okay, Smelly people, I have since had oatmeal twice since I asked for help and you guys did not let me down.

I wasn't in a hurry to have it again but Brat informed me he did not like it the way you all suggested it and that got me majorly curious, if only because it's a pretty good rule that if one of us likes something, the other won't. His disliking it made me confident I would love it. With nothing to fear, it was time.

Naturally, that meant I didn't have any brown sugar. I mentioned this to my mother who, being the doll she is, got me some within a few days' time and I was once again back on my mission.

I boiled the water, measured my oats, cooked them and then started getting nervous. What if I mess this up? Too much sugar, not enough sugar, too much milk, not enough milk, is this stuff going to thicken up and if not, milk would be bad, etc...and then I thought, "This is just oatmeal. Get a grip."

So I added a little bit of milk and had fun watching that settle in the oatmeal before stirring. Then I added two TSPs of brown sugar. Did you guys say TBSP? The two TSPs was actually just right for me; it was sweet but not overpoweringly so. But from the very first bite it was evident that Oatmeal and I are going to have a longer relationship than I first imagined. I ate it with the back door open, so there was a cool draft coming in and it was just right.

Now that I've conquered the basics, I'll be better equipped to handle experiments with fruit and syrup.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Yay!

:lol:

I'm just so darn happy for you!

(I do not know how I missed this post.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:00 pm

I wasn't sure how to translate "warm happiness in a bowl" in a way that conveyed how good it really was when I took that first bite, so I didn't call it that but that is exactly what it was. I really didn't figure the sugar and milk could alter it that drastically.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:05 am

That sure sounds a lot better than the oatmeal I have every morning: Throw oats in a bowl, cover in water, microwave for a minute... eat.

Then again, that's probably how I've managed to lose close to 40lbs... and I've gotten used to the wet cardboard taste.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:44 am

My kitchen smells like fajitas. :D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”