The Smells in My Kitchen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Re: The Smells in My Kitchen

Postby buckshot » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

I'd tye into a bowl of that! Was afraid it had ground up carp or something like that, don't know where I get these ideas. Thanks Petra I'm looking up the shroom lasagna, sounds yummy definitely would do on a rainy tuesday :wave:

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:07 am

Ground up fish (fish meal) is Gefilte Fish.

Remember how, in the "Terminator" movies, they had the German Shepherd dogs outside the human enclave, because the dogs would ALWAYS bark when a Terminator came by? Gefilte fish is the same way. If you want to test to see if someone is Jewish, offer them Gefilte fish. If they say, "Oh, sure...yes! Do you have any horseradish?" then they are definitely Jewish. If they say "no," then you really can't tell, unfortunately. If they say "What the hell IS that stuff?!? Ground fish?" then they are NOT Jewish. We are required by the Talmud to at least be able to recognize gefilte fish, though we are not required to like it.

http://whydyoueatthat.wordpress.com/201 ... ilte-fish/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 pm

That whole "gefeltefish" stuff makes me shudder in fear but so far all the Jewish type foods I forked (or spooned in) me was great or at least good. There is a big Jewish comunity in Spokane and I get dragged to a big dinner at the temple every year with a big bunch of friends and we always have a great time and I always try tons of wild ass foods I could never name again. Their sweets are just incredible too and little Jewish grannies seem to have a thing for giantish farmer rednecks for some reason better unknown, but as always I'm just happy to be fed.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:11 am

We or my buds and I butchered and or made sausage here yeserday after our Wyo. hunt and my bud Ron got a nice bull elk here archery hunting so we got all of our elk done up. Tonight I'm batching it while all the girls are all doing something so left to myself to rustle up some chow I cooked up some of our uncured unsmoked brats with fresh tomatoes ,sweet onions and sweet red peppers out of the garden. The house smells pretty strong of onions n peppers but it's really damn good, my partner Tim smelled it from across the road and joined me and says we aught to open a sausage truck or something like that! Not gonna happen but good for a laugh. Oh yeah, I threw in a big double handfull of chanterells and a few good chugs of merlot in the pan and that really turned it into something kinda ellegant at least for me. So thats how my kitchen smells tonight.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 am

I was going to say, "Sounds pretty good," except I should probably say, "Sounds like it SMELLS pretty good!"

Or even, "Reads like it smells pretty good!"
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:53 pm

As far as beverages go, my apartmentmate and I decided to make our own hard cider.

Left over high-yeast stuff from the bottom of the barrel. Hopefully we can use it to start our next batch without having to buy more yeast!
Photo504 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Pictures of the actual resulting (3 gallons of) cider:
Photo505 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Photo506 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Photo507 by elfprince13, on Flickr
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:55 am

Hey Elf, One of my friends has a orchard on Green Bluff and he makes this firey stuff from apple beer he ferments it like you are (I think) but brews it in big food grade plastic barrels. when it's done working they haul it to a co op theyre in and roll all 6 barrrels into a big commercial freezer. It takes a while to get solid then they use some sort of ultra sound gadget to find the soft spots then they drill and tap the liquid and bottle. It smells like apples and is faintly sweet but is verry high proof. I get a small bottle each year and its just heaven. I have heard it called apple jack and apple wort and apple beer wiskey. His apple cider beer stuff is bubbly like beer and not sweet , I am curious to hear what yours is like it sounds like fun.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:09 am

Made a Dutch baby for dinner Sunday night. Will forever think of you guys when I eat one.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 am

Hey Elf, One of my friends has a orchard on Green Bluff and he makes this firey stuff from apple beer he ferments it like you are (I think) but brews it in big food grade plastic barrels. when it's done working they haul it to a co op theyre in and roll all 6 barrrels into a big commercial freezer.
That's basically where we're at. We brewed about 3 gallons in a big plastic barrel, then needed to refrigerate it to make the yeast take a nap and settle to the bottom, but a 3 gallon barrel is much too big for our home fridge, so we bottled it first. Of course we aren't freezing it, because we don't want to distill it and make it harder than it already is. Also, I think you need a license for that in most places, but normal-proof stuff you don't.
I have heard it called apple jack and apple wort and apple beer wiskey.
Our stuff is just normal hard cider, but I think applejack is the traditional name for what you're talking about.
His apple cider beer stuff is bubbly like beer and not sweet , I am curious to hear what yours is like it sounds like fun.
Our is hopefully going to be slightly bubbly, but it hasn't had time to carbonate yet. The sampling last night was at first quite sour, so we added some sweetener back in (little honey, little maple syrup, little white sugar when we ran out of those). and then it was quite delicious. Not sure of the actual ABV, but my guess is around 7-8. It definitely tastes harder than the storebought stuff which is a little under 5.

Made a Dutch baby for dinner Sunday night. Will forever think of you guys when I eat one.
:stamp:
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Also, I think you need a license for that in most places, but normal-proof stuff you don't.
What? I thought this was America...
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Mmmmmm! Dutch babies yum " making smacking sounds and drooling"

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Also, I think you need a license for that in most places, but normal-proof stuff you don't.
What? I thought this was America...
Yeah...about that....
http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml#s3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wiki.homedistiller.org/Legality#United_States" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is actually the same reason why (oddly) making alcohol-free beer is also illegal as a home operation, because making it usually happens by distillation (and the leftover alcohol goes somewhere....).

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Just had more of the last of my Wyo.elk tenderloin tonight and its so fine. Such a shame a bull elk can't have more of it, the rest of him is tuff as an old tractor tire! He was a grand old guy and it may have been his last winter even if I haden't hobbled along. The guide we hired to pack us in n out came up the trail not long after I shot and did a great job with the packing and geting my meat out and cooled out. By the bye I used my old 1895 winchester with iron peep sights on it that I pack along as a backup gun when traveling and am damn proud to have got to put the old gun to the use it was made for, one clean humane shot as it should be. We have a lot of elk around home here but not the big smart stately huge racked old herd bulls like Wyoming and Idaho. Best of luck to all the deer hunters across our nation most of the western states open this weekend, be safe.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:14 pm

We are doing cider as well! Sadly our perry actually went off, but the yeasted and wild yeast ciders are both doing quite well so far! Soon we'll be able to try the spring oak leaf wine and see if it is even marginally drinkable, but we have quite a few months yet for the elderflower and tea wines (yeah, tea - didn't cost us anything and used up the grape concentrate we had from the elderflower - no idea if it will be drinkable).
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:43 pm

I've had cider end up pretty delicious by accident before with naturally occurring yeast, but you can also end up with vinegar....so we decided it was better to take the yeasting into our own hands. I'll be curious how the wine experiments turn out. Also, I've been contemplating brewing up something mapley this spring.

On a different note: soup!
Photo515 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Photo516 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:50 pm

That soup looks amazing! Is it just sausage, potato, and kale soup? I haven't made one of those in forever : (
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:58 pm

Soup looks great, but....

tomato sauce!

Onions, garlic, yellow-, red-, and green-peppers, sauteed tomatoes, and even some carrots and broccoli, and Morningstar (non-meat) sausage; some red wine, and sugar.

The vegetables are STILL crisp! Al dente, if you would!

Edit: And some bay leaves (of course), AND some hot "Chinese" peppers! In the past, I've added hot sauce, but I forgot this time.
Last edited by Boothby on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Boothby

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:55 pm

That soup looks amazing! Is it just sausage, potato, and kale soup? I haven't made one of those in forever : (
Yep! :D

Boothby: sadly I'm not much for tomato sauce. Crisp veggies are great though!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 pm

I love soup with kale and chard this time of the year. The kale here has a lot more flavor after a few frosts but I'll eat it anytime especially with white beans and Italian sausage.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 pm

I love soup with kale and chard this time of the year. The kale here has a lot more flavor after a few frosts but I'll eat it anytime especially with white beans and Italian sausage.
ooh, the white beans sound like a nice touch!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Oak leaf wine: surprisingly potable! A bit sweeter than I'm used to in wine, very lightly carbonated, and actually somewhat pleasant. Definitely not your usual wine. We will be perfectly okay drinking the 3.5 bottles we have.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Oak leaf wine! Sounds far out never heard of such,, And Elf you're right those white beans were a nice touch but they're touching me right now! not such a nice touch the day after! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by buckshot on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Oak leaf wine! Sounds far out never heard of such,, And Elf you're right those whit beans were a nice touch but they're touching me right now! not such a nice touch the day after! :lol: :lol:
Need to keep a couple cows on the farm for when you need to pass the blame around ;)
Oak leaf wine: surprisingly potable! A bit sweeter than I'm used to in wine, very lightly carbonated, and actually somewhat pleasant. Definitely not your usual wine. We will be perfectly okay drinking the 3.5 bottles we have.
Recipe?

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:57 am

I have been using a new recipe for home made tomato soup and it like super good. It's always a blessing to have another end for all those garden tomatoes cluttering our windowsills. All these years I never thought of anything better than good old campbells mater soup, one of my fav lunches with a pile of crackers and whatever sandwich I can get. If home cooked tomato soup is this good maybe I aught to give ketchup a try, we have been cooking up a couple batches of this tomato jam for the last couple years and this stuff is indespensible in our kitchen, yep I said tomato jam.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:47 am

Recipe for the tomato soup? I've only tried making homemade once and it was a disaster : (
Last edited by Petra456 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:54 am

This is my favorite tomato soup recipe (surprise, surprise, it's SK). http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/come-on-thunder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I am craving it.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:03 pm

I need to look through Mawmaw's recipe box again. I inherited all of her recipes, and I'm pretty sure there was a tomato soup recipe in there.

Yesterday, I made Caramel Apple Cupcakes and Snickers Cupcakes. So yummy! This is the 2nd time I've used the caramel apple recipe and it is superb. Truly a keeper recipe. For the Snickers cupcakes, I made homemade chocolate cupcakes with chocolate chips in the batter and filled them with peanuts and caramel sauce and frosted with a peanut butter nougat frosting that I made up. (Melted marshmallows, peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar.) Next time, I'll make the caramel sauce runnier. It set up a bit too much and didn't soak into the cake like I wanted. But I will definitely be making them again!

Also, we recently purchased 1/8 of a cow from a friend of Brian's who has some land. I've only had some ground beef so far, but it is tasty meat! I had it in a ragu (made from fresh tomatoes) and the meat just melted in my mouth every bite I took. I'm excited to try some of the steaks and roasts!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:14 pm

This is my favorite tomato soup recipe (surprise, surprise, it's SK). http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/come-on-thunder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I am craving it.
Oh Kelly, I should have known to check SK, she never disappoints!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:15 am

Man, now you all have me wanting tomato soup. And Rei doesn't like it. Might just have to be too bad for him, lol! Or maybe I'll cheat and use passata or something and have some for lunch, because man it sounds delicious right now. Edit: Yep, too bad for him. I've found tonight's dinner. There's lots of leftover pasta if we wants something else. :D

Elf, I'll see if I can figure it out. We used a "recipe" from a book that was very unspecific. I'll have to check with Rei how we interpreted it.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:42 pm

I gave that smitten recipe a try and liked it and fed it to the guys at the mill n they loved it. The stuff I made before used my garden tomatoes it was kinda messy with the roasting the tomatoes and sweet onion but it was easy to just coat them with olive oil n just roast them till they collapse and brown a bit (the more the better)and then pull off the skins and squeese the seeds out. I threw a couple of rosemary branches with em while roasting and could really taste it in the soup. I used the emersion blender thing and skipped the strainer and used a riced tater that I nuked till soft instead of using the flour. Next time I want to roast a couple sweet red peppers with and see what that adds, for a garnish I liked some chopped green onions and some mixed heirloom tomatoes that were ripe and was a nice touch. Ya know it would suck without some good cheese sandwiches and I would suggest beer and a nap for desert.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Homemade Chocolate Pudding (with a little condensation):
Photo518 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Homemade Chocolate Pudding (in a bowl):
Photo519 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Courtney made apple hand-pies:
Photo520 by elfprince13, on Flickr

home-made hard-smoked salmon, from my Alaska trip:
Photo517 by elfprince13, on Flickr

out of the vacuum packing:
Photo522 by elfprince13, on Flickr

fried kohlrabi discs (interesting, but not worth repeating, unless you have kohlrabi that needs to be dealt with):
Photo523 by elfprince13, on Flickr

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Mmmmm! Hand pies mmmm!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Mmmmm! Hand pies mmmm!

My thoughts exactly.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Butternut Squash/Apple/Carrot soup. Mostly butternut squash but we needed to get rid of other stuff too.
Photo529 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Tried to make squash beer-bread to deal with the excess squash. Something went wrong and we got squash flavored glue instead.
Photo530 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Photo531 by elfprince13, on Flickr

We also roasted the seeds with chili powder + salt + pepper + olive oil:
Photo528 by elfprince13, on Flickr

What follows is the making of 2/3 of my favorite sandwich (bacon, radish, and maple cream, but I'm missing the maple cream).

This is a watermelon radish. I'll be having a lot of sandwiches this week (normally I use small radishes, but my CSA gave me a watermelon radish and daikon radish, both of which are huge, daikon will be used elsewhere):
Photo533a by elfprince13, on Flickr

Photo534a by elfprince13, on Flickr

Photo535a by elfprince13, on Flickr

Enter the bacon:
Photo536a by elfprince13, on Flickr

Photo537a by elfprince13, on Flickr

Also, leftover bacon grease means I made bacon-flavored biscuits for breakfast and ate them with honey and butter.
Photo538 by elfprince13, on Flickr

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Biscuits are another big weakness of mine!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”