The Smells in My Kitchen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:39 am

Om nom nom.

My mom's lasagne is the best (like your mom's), and it's illogically delicious. Cottage cheese, cheap mozzarella, 99c sauce, etc. Yet somehow when she waves her magic wooden spoon, it becomes the most delicious thing ever. (Other people have even agreed - I think their moms never made lasagne or something?)

I've tried messing with it to "improve" it, but it never works. You just can't beat mom's.
SERIOUSLY?

cottage cheese is what made my grandma's lasagna so iconic, I've never even heard of anyone else doing that. wow. that's awesome.
I hadn't heard of it any other way until I left home and found out about this fancy ricotta stuff...
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Almost every other lasagna that someone else has cooked me has included cottage cheese. I'm not a big fan of it though : (
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:38 pm

With deepest respect to moms and grandmothers everywhere, I cannot abide cottage cheese in my lasagne. Ricotta or death.

ETA: I actually enjoy cottage cheese quite a bit on its own. But it has no place in lasagne. None, I say.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:59 pm

With deepest respect to moms and grandmothers everywhere, I cannot abide cottage cheese in my lasagne. Ricotta or death.

ETA: I actually enjoy cottage cheese quite a bit on its own. But it has no place in lasagne. None, I say.
Quoted for the most truth.

Cottage cheese, stay the eff out of my lasagna.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:01 pm

I have to agree on the cottage cheese, yes; cottage cheese + lasagna, absolutely not.
-Kim

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:28 pm

I'm actually the exact opposite. I really don't like cottage cheese on its own, or anywhere except lasagne. To you haters, I say: you haven't tried my mom's yet! ;)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Everyone I know (except me) uses cottage cheese in their lasagne. If you want ricotta, but you have cottage cheese on hand, you can blend your cottage cheese and it's pretty much the same as ricotta.

I make mine the method that Brian was taught by an old woman when was on his mission in Italy. It is amazingly yummy.

btw, I make a better lasagna than my mom. In fact, my mom won't make lasagna anymore, since she deems mine superior. I'm also blessed to have a husband that recognizes that my cooking is infinitely better than his mother's. :)

I say that we have a lasagna night included in pwebcon. That way we can all try everyone's lasgane!! YUM!

Also, I'm dehydrating cantaloupe in my kitchen right now. It smells yummy. Dehydrating is the next (and hopefully last) attempt to concentrate cantaloupe for some seriously yummy ice cream. The gelato shop at the Bellagio in Las Vegas has the most amazing melon gelato (every other melon gelato I've tasted doesn't live up) and I'm trying to recreate the flavor. I have learned through my experimentation that melons end up tasting like bitter squash if you heat it too long. Bitter squash ice cream is NOT good eats. Cantaloupe ice cream is.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:46 pm

I say that we have a lasagna night included in pwebcon. That way we can all try everyone's lasgane!!
I'll just be needing a microwave, then. :P

I don't know if we have any sort of recipe that we stick to in my family but it's also been years since my mom made it and I never venture into the kitchen for long enough to know this sort of thing anyway. I do know, however, that she uses ricotta and while I may have had cottage cheese at some point, but seriously doubt it, I don't think I would like it on its own.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm going to half agree. I don't really like the ricotta in lasagna, the flavor is all wrong with tomato sauce and pasta, clashes badly on the tongue. On the other hand, that is how Grandma made it, and it was famous within our family. My mom now makes it with Ricotta.

I do understand why cottage cheese was used, until the combination of Wal-Mart and Food Network brought understanding and accessibility to the rest of the world, Ricotta simply did not exist in the midwest, unless you were somewhere with a strong Italian neighborhood like St Louis. It should be pointed out that St Louis also has its own distinct kind of pizza cheese, provel, and it wouldn't surprise me if that came about because mozzarella was once difficult to find.

and in general I'm opposed to the flavor and texture of cottage cheese.

Ricotta, on the other hand, especially GOOD fresh delicious ricotta like I find at the italian markets out here is mindboggling. Especially in lasagna, in stuffed crust pizza or any stuffed pasta. I can't buy cartons of ricotta any sooner than the day I prepare a recipe, because even the cheap trader joes stuff will result with me eating a good portion of it with a spoon, plain.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:26 am

Now that we're talking lasagne I am desperate to make some immediately. Unfortunately, I can't as I'm leaving (FOR BOSTON!) at 5am tomorrow morning.

If you want to get truly crazy and authentic with your lasagne, you just haven't lived unless you've added a bechamel sauce to the mix. Seriously.

When I get back in town next week--I don't care how hot it is--I'm MAKING THIS.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:56 am

If you want to get truly crazy and authentic with your lasagne, you just haven't lived unless you've added a bechamel sauce to the mix. Seriously.
This is how Brian was taught. None of this "make a ricotta cheese mixture with egg and blah blah blah." It's very simple and it makes the most amazing lasagna.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 am

On the topic of lasagna, I'm a weird Italian. I HATE ricotta cheese... LOL

In my kitchen, there are cupcakes. Yummy chocolate ones. I had 2 and called them lunch! :lol:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:13 pm

I made pancakes for the first time today. How have I never made pancakes before? I don't know. But I made them with fresh blueberries that I picked yesterday and they were soooo good. I'm making some again tomorrow.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 pm

I made pancakes for the first time today. How have I never made pancakes before? I don't know. But I made them with fresh blueberries that I picked yesterday and they were soooo good. I'm making some again tomorrow.

Mmm! I made pancakes today too (but definitely not for the first time - they are one of my go-to foods). Pancakes, bananas, peaches, bacon... yummy breakfast-for-supper.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:23 pm

Today we just had sausages/hotdogs, but it's surprising how amazing a bit of sriracha can be on 'em.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Peach Jam. I just made 14 pints.

I hope all the jars seal. This is my fist time making it by myself. I forgot the lemon juice in one batch, so I may have to use it soon as syrup or for chicken in the crockpot.

Since I bought 25 lbs of peaches (Yay for $0.47/lb!!), with the rest of my peaches, I'll be making peaches and cream, peach milk shakes and 2 peach pie. I'm also getting blackberry pulp for $0.49/lb, so blackberry jam is also on the list.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Ooooh that does sound good!

I can't wait for the blackberries to ripen at the end of the street.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:53 pm

We got huckleberrys! and the smell of a pie in the oven may just do me in! :P

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am

Since Nomi mentioned it upthread, I have been subtly but constantly craving blueberry pancakes. I'd gotten so used to the craving that I practically forgot about it, so luckily on Sunday David mentioned he didn't want any of our usual go-to brunch dishes, but something different. We had half a tub of ricotta sitting in the fridge and had JUST bought a gorgeous pint of blueberries and inspiration hit me. We had gorgeously fluffy ricotta pancakes with meyer lemon zest and fresh blueberries. Oh my goodness, so delicious.

David also bought me a blender for my birthday and I have been making smoothies NON STOP. Does anyone have any delicious smoothie recipes? I'm looking for things slightly on the healthy side, but I wouldn't mind a more decadent milkshake now and again. I'm just sort of eyeballing things right now: greek yogurt, a splash of juice, occasionally a bit of honey, and various frozen fruits. As a result, my portion sizes are all over the place and very unpredicatable. I'm tempted to experiment with other things, too. If you have a favorite recipe or ingredient, please share!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:04 pm

I haven't been making them lately but I used to make "green" smoothies all the time. A large handful of baby spinach, a tbs of ground flaxseed, a cut up apple, a few baby carrots, and some berries (frozen or fresh), and either water or some juice (or yogurt) to liquefy. It's not the most appetizing color but I really liked the taste of it.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:14 pm

On Sunday I made an Italian Sausage Soup with home made bread sticks. Monday I made a chicken pot pie. Tuesday I made Pork Chops with a Balsamic Vinegar sauce along with roasted vegetable orzo. Tonight I am making BBQ Pork Sammiches (BBQ home made as well) with home made french fries. Tomorrow I'll be making grilled fish taco's. On Friday I'll be using the rest of my home made BBQ to make some pork ribs with roasted potatoes. I didn't mean to use so much pork this week...

I usually don't cook this much, and I don't always use meat (though it is by far a majority). A few weeks ago I made a garlic, tomato and four cheese pizza which didn't contain meat and it was just as delicious.

As for smoothies: I've taken to making these lately. I only found this because I had to do a demonstration speech for my summer communication class and I decided to bribe the teacher with a smoothie. I use a bag of frozen mixed fruits instead of just strawberries though. Quite good. :)

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:35 pm

Awesome!

Nomi, I've been meaning to try "green" smoothies all week! I've heard spinach can be great in smoothies; I never thought of adding carrots!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Courtney and I made some bread with beet-water. Yummy :D
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:56 pm

It's not in my kitchen, but it is beside me, and it is tea. Which is lovely.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 pm

I've never been able to go green with smoothies, but am out of control with fresh fruit , tonight Raineer cherries with ripe banana. I'm mad with the power of the magic bullet. :P

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 am

I'm on a kick regarding things mentioned in this thread that I have been DYING to make ever since.

Made lasagne last night! A long, long process as I made my own sauces (bechamel and a tomato sauce that had to simmer foreeeeeeeeeever) and garlic bread. YUM. SO EXCITED FOR LEFTOVERS.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Having a BLT with pepper-jack cheese and homemade guacamole.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:09 pm

homemade guacamole.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. There's nothing in the world like it.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

homemade guacamole.
I don't like avocado!! :(

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:40 pm

?!?!?!?!
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:46 pm

homemade guacamole.
Same here.

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ValentineNicole » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:30 pm

?!?!?!?!
*shrugs* It's icky and mushy. LOL

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:01 pm

I absolutely hate avocado! Everyone things i'm crazy, but it's just disgusting.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:26 am

I was never really that into guac, but my tastes have changed. I love to add it to burgers, BLT's, salsas, etc.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:03 am

I used to hate guacamole, until I found out that it didn't have to be utterly bland and tasteless. Now I enjoy it well enough (assuming that whoever made it did not make it utterly bland and tasteless).
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”