The Smells in My Kitchen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Re: The Smells in My Kitchen

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:18 pm

This is my everyday recipe. I cut the recipe in half because Kitchen Aids can't handle as much as Boschs.
That and who really needs 5 fresh loves of bread! they would all be bad before they were eaten.
Ha. Not in my family.
Well I suppose you have created enough adorable little people to eat 5 loves of bread. I on the other hand just have a husband so. 2 loves is perfect :)

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:20 pm

I made 2 (small) loaves today of my ad-hoc recipe. :) they taste delicious nonetheless. :)
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 pm

The most humble dive is a palace when it smells of homemade bread.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:33 am

Are you guys trying to torture me during passover :?

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:09 pm

If it gets you to post, yes.
The enemy's fly is down.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:21 pm

So the bread was super yummy! its basically all gone already (there are 2 slices left)
Once it cooled chris and I tried a plain slice and it was great.
then we tried a slice with butter and it was even better.
then I made cinnamon toast with it and wow was it amazing.
Since that first night (thursday) we have devoured it.
And this morning we used the last of it for French Toast with fresh strawberries and fancy jam.
Also amazing :)

to quote my husband "Bread is just so much better without all the extra crap in it"

tonight we are going to try Steph's recipe

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Paint.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:51 pm

nice, completely random in our stream of events yet completely relevant to the topic... :D
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:58 pm

OK so here is a pic of the loaves I made on thursday using Jan's Recipe.

As you can see they are a little short, but that was my fault I think it rose to much on the first rise and then the second one got stunted... but it was still really yummy and airy not heavy at all.

Here is a photo of the bread the hubby and I made today using Steph's recipe

They rose much better (the yeast seemed to activate better as well) and the hubby and I just had sandwiches for dinner and they were fantastic.

I think I learned a lot from the first try thus making the second loaves turn out better :)

Also my mom told be to try getting the yeast cubes that are kept in the fridge section at the supermarket. so I think I'll give that a try next time I bake bread. but I think thee 2 loaves will last us a while longer because we have already eaten a lot of bread this week.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Looks delicious!

Tonight, my kitchen smells of roasted asparagus and pesto tortellini. It was my first time attempting both, but I'm satisfied with the results. The asparagus is wonderful and I devoured it way too quickly. The pesto could be better, but I won't complain too much. I used cashews instead of pine nuts because, if you haven't noticed, pine nuts are ridiculously expensive. I hope to have my own mini herb garden the next time I make it so I don't have to pick though the store-bought basil. Still, all-in-all, a delicious meal.

Oh, and I bought the pre-made tortellini. I know Kelly says it's possible, but I don't think I could get pasta dough thin enough by hand to make it myself.

ETA: Any suggestions of what to do with the leftover pesto?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:10 pm

I make pesto a lot, some tips,

you can use walnuts and they work just as well as pine nuts
if you are using it as a sauce try less oil and some milk for a creamy version

as for tortellini, if you don't want to make pasta you can use wanton wrappers as a shell

pesto pasta is my fav by the way, sounds delicious
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Looks delicious!

Tonight, my kitchen smells of roasted asparagus and pesto tortellini. It was my first time attempting both, but I'm satisfied with the results. The asparagus is wonderful and I devoured it way too quickly. The pesto could be better, but I won't complain too much. I used cashews instead of pine nuts because, if you haven't noticed, pine nuts are ridiculously expensive. I hope to have my own mini herb garden the next time I make it so I don't have to pick though the store-bought basil. Still, all-in-all, a delicious meal.

Oh, and I bought the pre-made tortellini. I know Kelly says it's possible, but I don't think I could get pasta dough thin enough by hand to make it myself.

ETA: Any suggestions of what to do with the leftover pesto?
Pesto: more pasta! Or you could spread some on bread and add cheese and toast it.

Regarding basil, did you know you can sprout it from a cutting? Strip all the leaves off a stalk (even a store-bought one) except for the top few. Put it in water and change the water daily or so, and in a little while it will start to grow roots. Then you can plant it. I do this all the time to extend the usefulness of my store-bought basil, and have had three or more pots growing at once, because when I use basil, I tend to use a lot.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:55 pm

Pesto: more pasta! Or you could spread some on bread and add cheese and toast it.

Regarding basil, did you know you can sprout it from a cutting? Strip all the leaves off a stalk (even a store-bought one) except for the top few. Put it in water and change the water daily or so, and in a little while it will start to grow roots. Then you can plant it. I do this all the time to extend the usefulness of my store-bought basil, and have had three or more pots growing at once, because when I use basil, I tend to use a lot.
yes, I really like pesto on my bread / toast in the morning too!

sounds like a great idea for the basil... I never seem to have enough!

btw: awesome looking bread, ThoughtReader!

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:42 pm

I figured that since I had these recipes typed up in my diary I might as well share them, the first is from my grandmother...

FRIED SHRIMP

Ingredients
Shrimp
Salt
Potato flour
Garlic powder
Curry powder
Paprika
Oil (vegetable peanut or any other low flavor oil suitable for frying)

Instructions
1 wash peal and de-vain shrimp
2 in a small bowl mix potato flour with lots of salt garlic and curry and a pinch of paprika
3 fill a small pan with 3/4 inch of oil and heat oil till popping
4 bread the shrimp w\ potato flour
5 fry the shrimp till crisp and pink

DUTCH BABY (this is from my friends dad/my own experimentation)

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
4 eggs
Cinnamon sugar (you can do this to taste, but don't put over 3 tbsp)
Vanilla
4 table spoons Butter

Instructions
1 heat oven to 400 degrees
2 in blender mix flour milk eggs vanilla and half of the cinnamon sugar
3 place a pan with butter in the oven for 3 to 5 min
4 take out pan and pour in batter
5 bake for 20 min
6 enjoy (with wiped cream if you've got it...)

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:24 pm

I like the potato flour idea I have been using rice flour and corn starch for years but spud flour has a different kinda nutty flavor when browned. I'm headed for the freezer to fish out some big crawdad tails to give it a try. Last night I made a 4x size batch of my famous sticky chicken wings for my girls Sarah n Kylie and their boyfriends. Its just a simple thing but the secret is to use the best stuff 1 cup good soy , 1 cup sugar (I often use part or all palm sugar) and 1 cup good rice wine vinegar. Its so simple its stupid I do add a couple tbs ea garlic and ginger and red pepper flakes in the final reduction and I cook them all in a 25 in cast iron monster pan and dump the whole gooey mess on a platter and sprinkle on sesame seeds and green onions out of the garden. It's one of those dishes you can't eat just a few of but it's amazing how many a couple of young men can put away! Oh yah ya gotta get out the rice cooker and make a big mess of jasmine rice to cut all that sweet salty sour it just all goes together.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Dang, buckshot! You're making me hungry!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Aw Steph It looks like like you're one of the top cooks out here I can only cook a few things , But I do have a masters apetite! I am amazed at how little some people do cook ,I know folks and bet you do too that eat out every day more than once too What a waste of money and unhealthy as well. When I'm on hunting trips or in Alaska or traveling and doinking around one of the biggest reasons I come running home is to get Julie's good cooking, I'm convinced I'll die without it and her.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:01 pm

I am amazed at how little some people do cook ,I know folks and bet you do too that eat out every day more than once too What a waste of money and unhealthy as well.
It always baffles me that people can be so put off by cooking; it's fun enough, and the homemade food is SO worth it :)

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Your're so right! I notice now more and more that when I eat some store made crap out of the freezer or fast food that I feel crappy and then go looking around for some other crappy snack food a couple hours later, I'm better off without it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 pm

I don't eat out often -maybe once or twice a month, if that- but I also don't enjoy cooking or do much that can't more or less watch itself. I'm hard pressed to think of any food anyone has ever made me or that I've made myself that I felt justified the effort that went into it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Sunday dinner with friends tonight. Sunday dinner with friends; buffalo pot roast with carrots and onions, yellow squash and zucchini, fresh home made bread (cottage loaf), and pink potatoes (regular mashed potatoes with a beet mixed in).

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:22 pm

looks delicious!

hey if you mix sweet potato's and pink potato's you can make sunset potato's...

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 am

I don't eat out often -maybe once or twice a month, if that- but I also don't enjoy cooking or do much that can't more or less watch itself. I'm hard pressed to think of any food anyone has ever made me or that I've made myself that I felt justified the effort that went into it.
Don't get me wrong - cooking doesn't need to be (and for practicality, CANNOT always be) laborious or tedious. But even putting something fresh into a crock pot and letting it stew all day will yield remarkable results that cannot be equaled from a can.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 am

Even that does take some effort for people like me. I have no recipes for anything like that and I've found it largely overwhelming either trying to search online (without always knowing what it is I'm looking for other than the generic type of food) or trying to find a cookbook that had enough recipes I'd actually like to try to be worth getting. I've gone so far even to ask my more food-appreciative friends and they've been largely unhelpful, telling me to look online. Then there's the matter of shopping for the stuff needed in these recipes. My current eating habits (fruit, cereal, eggs, pasta, breads, frozen vegetables, etc) mean a quick in and out of the store and no food goes wasted. When I have tried experimenting with recipes in the past, even if the cooking was easy, a lot of the ingredients that were leftover went bad because I didn't make the same thing multiple times or in a larger quantity than the recipe called for and I had no clue what else to use it on.

Like I said, all more effort than it's worth. That can of soup may not taste as good but it's probably not a largely noticeable difference to someone like me and probably not worth the effort of trying to not waste things.

With that said, I do have two friends who have made some great tasting things, are enthusiastic about helping me learn to cook, and are willing to share those recipes, so I know ahead of time what it is I'm in for. Not sure the waste issue would be taken care of but I am also just in the collecting recipes stage, so that might be worked around.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 am

I'm with you, Alea, when it comes to cooking for myself. But if anyone ever wants to cook for me, I'm all for it! :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Alea, do you have a crockpot? If so, every time I crockpot something, I'll share the recipe with you!

Today's feature: Taco Soup

It's not really authentic at all but it is tasty, I think. It may be a good choice for you because it uses mostly canned products (tomatoes, beans, etc), so there wouldn't be leftover stuff to spoil. You could use frozen corn instead of canned, if you already are buying it that way. And the leftovers of this soup should freeze really well in individual portions.

(And I'm not offended if you don't want to try my offerings. Just trying to be helpful, if I can!)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks, Steph, you're awesome. :)

I do have a crockpot and I really don't care about Mexican authenticity (or any other, for that matter). This would be good for me, and I will definitely still try it, but I'm hoping to get a good collection of zero-friendly a.k.a. vegetarian dishes so we're not having to do separate meals too often.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Just leave out the beef! It would still be really yummy!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm with you, Alea, when it comes to cooking for myself. But if anyone ever wants to cook for me, I'm all for it! :)
I just want to third this. Living alone, cooking feels like such a waste of effort. Who am I trying to impress? So I eat what I like as long as it takes under ten minutes to prepare, and then I can move on to happier things.

Although I do sometimes make cookies or other treats.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I love asparagus season! a friend that farms near us has a couple of acre asparagus patch that he let go wild after he got tired of trying to sell it for a few years at the Spokane farmers market. We are welcomed to come get all we can carry and if I don't he cuts it himself and brings it down so I do it myself. So anyhow I love it and I blanch a lot and freeze it , anyone have any good ideas how to preserve some? We canned some and it was kinda stinky and grey, we pickled some and it is good but ya can't eat to much like that. It's kinda a shame hate to see it go to waste, since it's a old field the stalks are big and I like to peel em a bit and I put some old wash tubs over some big clumps to get them to be all white and it worked ok but I like them better green.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 am

So jealous! I love asparagus!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:02 pm

Mexican chocolate cake! It was going to be normal chocolate cake, but then I couldn't find the cocoa so I started making it a spice cake instead, got as far as dumping 2 tsp of cinnamon in, and found the cocoa. So I added some cayenne, and now I have spicy chocolate cake! Yum.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 am

I've had that! Never thought I would like hot with sweet chocolate but it so rocks with lots of good coffee!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:07 pm

I just got done making a peanut butter pie. I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter, but I absolutely love this pie!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 pm

Not really a smell, but I made a frozen banana-almond milk-peanut butter milkshake. Yum yum yum. Since I used unsweetened pb and unsweetened almond milk, next time I think I'll add brown sugar.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”