The Smells in My Kitchen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Thank you! (PS. Spotts and Pans? ADORABLE).
Thanks! It was Brian's idea. I really should post on it more. When none of my sister-in-laws were really participating, I stopped posting.

I'm going to try replacing some of the butter with nutella for a light and fluffy chocolate hazelnut cream. I don't know if the nutella has enough structure, but it's worth a try!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 am

The seitan appears to have turned out suitable for making veggie gyros. It's not quite what I was promised, but it's decent and Rei will eat it too. Less salt next time, though.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 am

Yay for edible! Will it get better with practice?

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 am

Rei
Maybe not the most appropriate thread to ask but where, oh where, is papa bear?
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:51 am

He's been doing some volunteering at the local archives the past couple of weeks. Then I shanghai him when he gets home. I promise I will try to share him better. ;)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Yay for edible! Will it get better with practice?
I think it will! It is actually pretty darn good, even Rei likes it. So far we've turned it into gyros, fajitas, pizza topping (GREAT with bbq sauce!)*, and I plan to use it in place of bacon to see if it works with a family recipe. Strangely enough, when sliced thin and fried crispy, it is very similar to bacon. I like my bacon way overcooked, so it hits both the "crunchy" and "salty" marks, for me. I am way pleased with this recipe, and I imagine if I used different herbs/seasonings, I could get different flavours to it.

In other news, the smell tonight was Rei's tuna and rice "quiche". I hate quiche in every manifestation (bad experience and subsequent aversion), so the fact that I really quite love this recipe is remarkable. The secret, I think, is that the egg mixture oozes down into the cracks in the rice and doesn't form a revolting puddle of squishy grossness. I like to drown it in Worcestershire sauce. Yummy.

Planning to make sushi this week. Very excited. I love sushi and would eat it at least once a week if I could. Inari, oshinko, and yam tempura are the best!!

* We like to get the very cheapo frozen pizzas (2/£3) and dress them up. One favourite is to add chopped sundried tomatos and fresh basil. The other is thinly sliced sweet pepper, red onion, and the seitan brushed with homemade bbq sauce. Om nom nom.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:32 pm

Planning to make sushi this week. Very excited. I love sushi and would eat it at least once a week if I could.

I wasn't sure if it was "Pweb approved," given that I'm sure not everyone here loves sushi. (Even if they most definitely should love it.)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:04 pm

I made jam! For the first time ever! It was incredibly stressful! But all the lids sealed! Now I just have to wait and see if it set!

Too many exclamation points!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Planning to make sushi this week. Very excited. I love sushi and would eat it at least once a week if I could.

I wasn't sure if it was "Pweb approved," given that I'm sure not everyone here loves sushi. (Even if they most definitely should love it.)
I don't like fish, so I would not have stamped it. :)

Yay for jam! I made a bunch of peach last summer. I still have some puree frozen to make more.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Hee. I do not like fish either, Steph! Inari is a tofu thing, oshinko is a pickled vegetable, and yam is, well, yam. I eat veggie sushi. :D

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Hee. I do not like fish either, Steph! Inari is a tofu thing, oshinko is a pickled vegetable, and yam is, well, yam. I eat veggie sushi. :D

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Hahaha!!!

I'll have to try your sushi sometime, Ali. Sounds much better to me. :)

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm going to miss not living here, anymore. Our sushi place has the greatest spicy sauce of all time. Seriously. It's perfect. And no other spicy sauce I've had even comes close.

And I doubt they'd part with their secret recipe.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Clockwise from top left: oshinko, yam tempura (roll), kappa (cucumber), some more oshinko, and mixed veggies, yam tempura, and inari.

It was a delicious night.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:31 pm

I've never had sushi. Do you just go to a sushi place and pick different stuff out? I would want to try veggie stuff for my first time.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:40 pm

If you've never tried it, I'd suggest seeing if you can find a place that does an all-you-can-eat. If you go at lunch, it's usually pretty affordable. Especially if you tell them you're trying stuff for the first time, they will probably be willing to bring you one or two pieces of what you order.

If you can't do that, and you want veggies, I'd definitely recommend a yam tempura roll (BEST EVER OF LIFE). Oshinko (pickled daikon/mooli/white radish) is pretty tasty but unfamiliar to western palates. The kappa/cucumber rolls are pretty bland, since they're meant as a palate cleanser of sorts. Often you can find avocado rolls in North America, which are pretty tasty. I'm a huge fan of inari sushi, but it takes a little bit of getting used to: it's a bit sweet and the texture of the tofu is weird. Rei's not much of a fan. Fortunately, those tend to come in ones or twos, so if you don't like them, you don't have a lot still sitting around. Try ordering one or two kinds at a go, it's a good lunch/snack if you're not a big greedy-guts like me.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:17 pm

If you're going to be trying fish/non-veggie sushi, I'd suggest starting with nigiri instead of rolls, as you can usually get nigiri pieces individually.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:43 pm

I tried sushi with fish in high school and hated it. Just a few weeks ago I tried veggie sushi and loved it. It had cucumber, avocado, and carrot and was splashed with a bit of soy sauce; so freaking good. They gave me a recipe, so I could technically make it any ol' time I want, but I have to admit, it intimidates me a bit.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 am

I think I need to try to veggie sushi. I've tried fish sushi a few times, but just can't bring myself to like it. I don't know if I'd have any better luck with veggie sushi, but it's worth a shot.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:53 am

What kind of fish did you guys have? Because, you know, it makes a difference. There are some kinds that I cannot stand. And I'll never try eel, again. But salmon, red snapper, yellowtail, crab (not imitation crab), and shrimp have never done me wrong. Some of the other types of fish are more touch-and-go for me.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:55 am

They all kind of blur together. I've had yellowtail and crab, though I don't know if that was imitation or not (which could make a huge difference). I don't think I've had the other ones, though. I may have to give them a shot too.

I'm wary of all-you-can-eat sushi. Are they generally as good as normal places?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:15 am

I usually get my all-you-can-eat sushi at places that do a regular full menu as well. I haven't had a problem in the past, but I was totally spoiled by location - Toronto and Vancouver are good places to get cheap, good sushi.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:16 am

I'm wary of all-you-can-eat sushi. Are they generally as good as normal places?
It depends. One of the best sushi places I've ever been is an all-you-can-eat place. But, at the same time, I've been to two other all-you-can-eat places (that, incidentally, charged more than the good one) that weren't so great. Then again, I've also been to a few dozen regular places that weren't so great. Basically, I just keep trying places until I find a good one.

Also, we sometimes make sushi at home. The type of nori/seaweed you get makes a huge difference. There's one brand out there that made me vomit. (And, of course, not knowing it was a problem with the nori, when I tried it a second time with different rice vinegar and meat, I vomited again.)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:05 pm

My mom was into health food when we were little. One of the snacks we were allowed were sheets of nori...and we *liked* it! She says that we would be in the backseat, in our carseats, saying "Nori! Nori!". Crazy.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Double post.

This morning, I picked black raspberries. Then, I made them into a sauce (including straining it to get rid of the seeds). And tonight I ate it on top of chocolate ice cream. Delicious!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:34 pm

What kind of fish did you guys have?
No idea; it was in high school, sophomore year I believe (so 12 years ago), and I didn't order.

It doesn't really matter anyway. I don't do the seafood thing. Not fish, not crab or lobster or shrimp or anything that swims in the great blue sea.

Can I call myself a vegetarian now?! :P

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:36 pm

What kind of fish did you guys have?
It doesn't really matter anyway. I don't do the seafood thing. Not fish, not crab or lobster or shrimp or anything that swims in the great blue sea.

Can I call myself a vegetarian now?! :P
No, but you can continue to call yourself weird. :P

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:15 pm

So, it doesn't smell yet, since the lasagna making won't be happening until thursday, but I just made the pasta! Tomorrow I need to make the ricotta. Then we assemble on thursday with some amazing farmer's market sausage and some homemade sauce. It's going to be one tasty lasagna! (It's my dad's father's day present. He will love it! He knows he's getting lasagna, but he doesn't know that it's an epic lasagna.)

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm a huge fan of inari sushi, but it takes a little bit of getting used to: it's a bit sweet and the texture of the tofu is weird.
I love love LOVE inari. The first time I tried it my japanese teacher made it for our last day of class. Yum!
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 am

It's great, isn't it, Erica? And so simple! You just buy the inari pouches and stuff them with sushi rice, easiest sushi ever!

I'm already salivating over the planned dinner for tonight. Brie is safe for Tiny Spyker if I cook it thoroughly first, right? The supermarket had 250g chunks of brie on sale for £1, so we're making The Baked Brie - marinate the brie in a delicious mix of garlic, oil, mustard, herbs, and lemon juice, then bake it till it audibly bubbles. Soooo bad, and soooo good!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:29 pm

I tried sushi with fish in high school and hated it. Just a few weeks ago I tried veggie sushi and loved it. It had cucumber, avocado, and carrot and was splashed with a bit of soy sauce; so freaking good. They gave me a recipe, so I could technically make it any ol' time I want, but I have to admit, it intimidates me a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22h3N9SnISw
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:10 am

Switching topics slightly, check out my awesome chocolate and guinness cake!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 am

Dang, I make good cinnamon rolls. :D

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 pm

My fettucini alfredo attempt (with corn and chicken parmesan):

I ended up using Steph's recipe. I was completely guessing on the amounts and I don't think I put in enough nutmeg or garlic (I didn't have any cloves so I just used powder, which really doesn't compare), and it was a little lumpy. But it tasted good and that's all the really matters. I'll have to try again with the flour/butter base and refine my technique.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 pm

You really have to whisk it smooth with the cream cheese technique sometimes. I employ my stick blender often.

I apologize that I cook completely by feel and taste so I'm no good at giving actual recipes. You can blame my mawmaw, since I inherited it from her. :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”