Former rules of Religion Forum

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Former rules of Religion Forum

Postby Taalcon » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:36 am

This is a place for:

*Learning and Discussing about the nature of beliefs that people may hold as dear and True
*Learning and Discussing WHY individuals hold those beliefs as such
*Discussing those beliefs and clearing up misconceptions for greater mutual understanding

This is not a place for:

* Bashing, Ridiculing, or degradation of anyone's system of beliefs
* Presenting links to websites that bash, ridicule, or degrade anyone's system of beliefs
* Blatant Proselyting to Your Way Of Thinking

Also:
*If you are not a member of a particular faith or belief system, do not set yourself up as an authority as to what that faith or belief system believes. Because you're probably wrong.

Any breaches of these guidelines will be subject to board discipline. These guidelines may be amended by any moderator at any time.
Last edited by Taalcon on Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:42 am

* Presenting links to websites that bash, ridicule, or degrade anyone's system of beliefs
Is Scientology excluded from these rules?

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:02 am

Not here, it isn't. that would be a double standard, now, wouldn't it?

This is not a forum to discuss the validity of one's beliefs, rather, to try to understand what individuals truly believe, and why.

If you don't think you can swim without peeing, then we'd prefer you stay out of the pool.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:14 am

Well, since athiesm is technically the absense of belief, then technically it's exempt from the rules and we can ridicule it all we want...
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:30 am

No. Atheism is the absence of belief in a religious deity, or perhaps even the belief in the non-existence of a religious deity. They have beliefs, just the diametric opposite of those held by theists.

I suppose that the only group that could technically be left out by those rules are agnostics, but the spirit of the rules is to respect everyone, so even the agnostics shouldn't be ridiculed here.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:58 pm

Agnostics have beliefs, kinda sorta.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:18 am

Agnostics: the theological fence-sitters.
The enemy's fly is down.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:29 am

No. Atheism is the absence of belief in a religious deity, or perhaps even the belief in the non-existence of a religious deity. They have beliefs, just the diametric opposite of those held by theists.
I don't believe in atheists.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

pooka
Soldier
Soldier

Postby pooka » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:42 am

My experience with atheists is that they tend to believe, or perhaps assume, that the workings of the universe are comprendable through science. This is a belief I can share. I would say that scientific and religious institutions sometimes respond to expediency and personal ambition that risk corruption of their purpose.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:53 pm

Can I post about other philosophies here?
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:08 pm

why not?

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Just wanted to make sure it's not strictly religion and moral philosophy.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:19 pm

"Religion and moral philosophy" is a pretty broad umbrella. This forum is a place for people to discuss the guiding principles of their life, with a bit of extra protection on how personal it's allowed to get.

You can certainly post about philosophy in general here, but if it's just an academic thing, you might get better results over in Milagre. It's up to you.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:57 pm

This is EL-the-getting-fed-up-Mod speaking. I want EVERYONE to go and re-read the rules of the forum.

This is a place for:

*Learning and Discussing about the nature of beliefs that people may hold as dear and True
*Discussing those beliefs and clearing up misconceptions for greater mutual understanding

Why do you believe that? Oh, that's interesting, have you considered this?

This is not a place for:

* Bashing, Ridiculing, or degradation of anyone's system of beliefs - calling someone or someone's system of beliefs brainwashed, brainwashing, delusional, stupid, or anything of that sort.

Also:
*If you are not a member of a particular faith or belief system, do not set yourself up as an authority as to what that faith or belief system believes. Because you're probably wrong. This includes ascribing motivations.

Any breaches of these guidelines will be subject to board discipline. These guidelines may be amended by any moderator at any time.

This is the way it works, folks. The aim of these rules is not to allow you to express your thoughts as offensively as possible while still being within the rules. These are rules that are supposed to guide you to expressing your thoughts in the politest and most respectful manner possible.

Things have gotten pretty rude and nasty in here, and it will not be tolerated. I am lessening my participation in debates here for two reasons.
1. I am beginning to get really disgusted and I'm having a harder time keeping it out of my posts. I have to keep to the same rules, too, so I'm pulling back.
2. I will be policing threads much more intently. I'm not getting involved as much so that I can try to see the debates more neutrally.

People, shape up. This is getting ridiculous. It's possible to disagree without telling the other person that they're dumb.

This is your collective notice. I will be locking threads if they look like they are getting out of hand. (I will listen if people present good arguments to me - via PM - and consider re-opening them.) I will be handing down warnings.

I hate doing this, and I really hate posting this. But it's gotten out of hand and when I, as a mod, get multiple complaints from multiple posters that the environment in here has gone sour, it's my job to do something about it.

That is all for now.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 pm

* Bashing, Ridiculing, or degradation of anyone's system of beliefs - calling someone or someone's system of beliefs brainwashed, brainwashing, delusional, stupid, or anything of that sort.
Would you terribly mind acknowledging those quotes of mine? :wink:

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:22 pm

get down with your bad self, eri.
Ubernaustrum

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:34 pm

Religion has always been a sore topic throughout the ages. This just goes to prove that people of different beliefs have a very hard time being amiable with a person of a religion that does not agree or goes against their personal beliefs. EL, you're perfectly within your rights to demand a safe environment where people can discuss, without attacking another's beliefs. I just hope that it can happen.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:35 pm

yeah... i give it a week

then someone else will be offensive. it IS kinda a losing battle...
Ubernaustrum

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:40 pm

Just look at religious history. How many wars have been fought because one religion didn't agree with another? Hell, it's partly why we're in this war. No matter what, no matter how many warnings you give or how sincere people try to be when debating religion, someone will get offended, even if the offender had no intention of causing a problem. It's a touchy subject, that's all.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Yea, BAG's on to something. You guys need to go old school and Crusade eriador's ass (in the least double entendre way possible).

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:44 pm

so what you're saying is that religious folk need to grow a sense of humor?
Ubernaustrum

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:51 pm

Me? No I'm saying they need to don shield and sword and go hack eriador up into bloody pieces as proof of God's divine retribution.

Where d'you get that sense of humour idea from?

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Would killing somebody really go along with the goal of the forum? That's the question I think we need to ask.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:53 pm

you egotistical ....

i was responding to BAG
Ubernaustrum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:55 pm

Yea, BAG's on to something. You guys need to go old school and Crusade eriador's ass (in the least double entendre way possible).
We're not allowed to Crusade anyone's asses anymore. :cry:

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:59 pm

No, just remember to take everything with a grain of salt. Again. it's a touchy subject, and we should probably stop and think a moment before we say something in this subject. I don't mean to say you don't think before speaking, but when it comes to religion, people are quick to defend their veiws, and don't stop and take a closer look. Someone may be saying something offensive without realizing it, or jumping to conclusions when the other person meant no ill will. It's especially hard to choose the right words when discussing beliefs. Sometimes what's right to one person is horribly wrong to another. But EL is completely right. Some people are taking things too far and (perhaps unknowingly) attacking others and their beliefs. It may be time for everyone to step back for a while, cool down, and come back with fresh perspectives.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:29 pm

You know, I have a feeling an atheist's crusade just wouldn't work
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Firegirl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Firegirl » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:33 am

I think that tolerance and patience are in short supply in regards to any subjects regarding morals or religions. I wonder would these overblown seething discussions be better or worse in person? Maybe sitting in front of a computer looking at the threads gives people a clearer idea of what they actually believe without resorting as many swearwords (and touchy mentalities) they would have in a face to face discussion, though there are a few obvious exceptions on this forum.
You feed the original flame that burns inside of you, because you know that is the only way you will get to live the life that is meant to be yours. Siv Cederling

"I've got sunspots where my heart used to be"

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Stop telling me what to do, you f****** christian

Firegirl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Firegirl » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:54 pm

:lol: touche et tu? someone needs to mind their labelling and stereotyping of people.
You feed the original flame that burns inside of you, because you know that is the only way you will get to live the life that is meant to be yours. Siv Cederling

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Shouldn't you be busy firebombing an abortion clinic, or trying to make people convert to your religion you christian extremist?

Firegirl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Firegirl » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:27 am

Who said anything about my religious preferences? You are making blind assumptions without any grounds to say them, so cut it out. IT is a very obvious ploy to get me angry, so stop it. :P

Matty
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Matty » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:57 pm

This is a place for:

This is not a place for:

Does that exclude certain topics, or only certain styles of debate? For instance, is "Christians are delusional" bad because it uses the word delusional, or because it says that Christians are wrong?

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:09 pm

I was under the impression that that was okay because I explained that it was to get interest, not to bash people. I might have wanted to put a ? on it though...

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:29 pm

personally i welcome that sort of stand. it gives us a place to start a debate. expressing opinions, being offended, expressing more opinions, debating it... a debate can not exist if no one expresses their opinions. sometimes opinions are offensive, sometimes they are misled, sometimes they are just ignorant. but they all spark a debate. without opinions, offensive or not, expressed nicely or not... basically a board like this generally turns into a giant circle-jerk on god.
Ubernaustrum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”