In which Abbie stops by for a little update!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Miss Abbie
Soldier
Soldier

In which Abbie stops by for a little update!

Postby Miss Abbie » Fri May 01, 2015 5:14 pm

Well, hi there!

It’s been a long time, hasn’t it? I got kind of called back here recently and I realized that I forgot what it’s like and then I retroactively missed being around for all the years! I just want to fill you in on my stuff and also hear a bit about you, if you’re into that!

I’m a scientist now! It’s been pretty nice. I got undergrad degrees in neuroscience and biochemistry. College was really difficult for me, interpersonally, because it was my first experience with a social climate where you first get to know people in groups and only then do you maybe hang out one-on-one. Groups of people are pretty scary! And I’m, you know, pretty shy. But I’m getting better at socializing, maybe! Anyway, college was four very lonely years, but I got out! And now I’m in graduate school! I got my Master’s degree last summer in biomedical engineering and I’m working on my PhD in pharmacology! When I finally become an adult, I want to make medicine and save people! Right now my research is on multiple sclerosis mainly, but I’m interested in pretty much any disease with inflammatory features. My PhD advisor is an excellent human who has let me just mad-science around for the past three years and it’s been really awesome. I’m getting ready to publish my first journal article soon! Then I’ll be legit!

There’s only really one other major update, which is, I started identifying as queer! I’m asexual and gender fluid/mostly agender and it’s okay! I’m still trying to figure myself out and sometimes I’m sad to be me. But sometimes I’m a shining gryphon of queer excellence! Everything else about me is more or less the same. I still love birdies (parrots especially these days) and books and poetry and the violin.

The last set of words I wanted to say is, just, thank you. To everyone! You all were so amazing to me at a really difficult time in my growing up! And, you’re the best, even if it is a little bit quiet around here.

So, um, how have you been?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: In which Abbie stops by for a little update!

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 05, 2015 5:12 pm

:wave: Abbie!

Sounds like life has been pretty good to you over these past few years. And becoming a bona fide doctor even; how cool is that?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed May 06, 2015 1:58 pm

So happy to hear all the good news! Congrats on the near-PhD and the upcoming publication! And glad to hear all the good emotional stuff, too. :D
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Fri May 15, 2015 6:53 am

Thanks for stopping by :) So glad things are going well!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”