Holy Crap! First Mel, now Kramer!?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Holy Crap! First Mel, now Kramer!?

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:14 pm

If you haven't heard already, the footage speaks for itself. Michael Richards (aka Kramer, of Seinfeld fame) recently lost his temper with a heckler during his stand-up routine and started shouting some rather offensive remarks.

WARNING: This footage contains offensive language.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RjiVcIlhY

*edit*
Here's the apology he gave on Letterman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dufHYw-W6j4

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:25 pm

"First Mel?" What happened before?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:34 pm

Surely you know about Mel Gibson's drunken anti-semitic rant some months ago. It was all over... everything.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:47 pm

I feel bad for Kramer and I hold no animosity towards him. He made me laugh as Kramer and I could never look down on him!
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:33 am

Err, I thought Mel Gibson was just anti-semitic in general. I'm not aware of any particular incident.

Anyway, this is hard to actually realize it's Michael Richards when watching that clip (the first clip, that is). It's just difficult to imagine him saying such things.

dgf hhw

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Re: Holy Crap! First Mel, now Kramer!?

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:09 am

WARNING: This footage contains offensive language.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RjiVcIlhY
To view this video, please verify you are 18 or older by logging in or signing up.

Errrr, i dont WANT to sign in...

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:33 am

It didn't require a sign in last night... It's not even that bad, it just has the "N-word" a lot. The "F-word" is cencored. As if no one under the age of 18 has heard these words before. Hell, I originally saw the footage on Entertainment Tonight, and the last time I checked, you didn't have to be 18 to watch that!

It's easy to make a youtube account and say that you are any age you want anyway.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:43 am

on the one hand he was stupid for doing that.

on the other hand. i don't know how serious he was being. i haven't seen the apology though. we don't know what the guys in the audience we saying before the kramer freak out.

i'm not a rascist. far from it. but i don't find those words offensive. i have trouble finding any word offensive. words are only offensive if you allow them to be. by listening to the variations of the word that he's using it almost seems as though he's mocking them for their "big and bad" or "gangsta" attitude than anything else. although the initial comment you hear is about them hanging upside down with a fork up their asses. i don't know. it's hard for me to know how to judge this without knowing what kramer's mentality really is.

on a completely different hand why would anyone go to see him do standup?
Ubernaustrum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:40 pm

You should really watch the apology. He wasn't joking, he was pissed off and dead serious. He stormed off the stage and ended the show right there. I'm not easily offended either, but it's somewhat surprising that when Richards lost his cool the first thing he could think to shout were terribly racist remarks. I mean, the man is a professional comedian. I'm sure he's dealt with his fair share of hecklers and unruly individuals. It kinda comes with the territory. I can't imagine anything that the guy could have said or done that could have made that reaction acceptable.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:21 pm

I've never seen his standup act. Just wondering... does he ever do race stuff as part of his jokes?

dgf hhw

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:38 pm

I don't know zeroguy but I am still waiting for your aristocrats joke in the Spider Dance thread.

Anyway, I heard on the radio today that Mel's sticking up for Richard's. The DJ compared this to the KKK supporting a political candidate. Personally, I think it looks worse on Mel. His god handed the world some other celebrity bigot to growl over and Gibson (instead of exodusing his ass behind Apocalyptico) jumps right back into the pit. Where'd I put that dunce cap?

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:50 pm

I agree with Brain. The words are only offensive if you see them that way.

Just out of fairness though, I have to wonder, when white comedians use the N-word, they do get in trouble, so should black peole say cracker? I guess it doesn't have the same derrogatory manner as the N-word though.

I agree he is a comedian and he should of handled this the right way and held his temper, but people sometimes lose their cool. I think the fact he is getting sued over this is not fair, mainly because, if you are gonna insult someone, you shouldn't be surprised if they decide to insult you back, no matter what the extreme, don't start stuff if you can't take the heat.

From what I heard on the radio, the hecklers said worse things than Kramer. He called them some "forbidden" words (only if your'e white actually) but they called him a wash up and said his stand up comedy and bad acting was the reason he didn't fo anywhere after Scienfeld. That'd piss me off and I can't gaurentee I'd hold my tongue very well.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:38 pm

The words are only offensive if you see them that way.
First of all, I don't think it's really that simple (but this has already been discussed in another thread, so let's not go into it here). Secondly, whatever the reaction "should" have been, Richards was obviously intending to be offensive. I can see him losing his temper, but this was over the top. He should have more self control than that.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:38 am

He also told them that if this had been 50 years ago, they would have been lynched, or something to that effect. That's pretty bad, too.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:08 am

AB's link has been taken down so here's another one to the apology: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8uOB0Rx ... ed&search=

Return to “Milagre Town Square”