Dear Diary/Journal/Bob 3.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:40 pm

Bob,

So, I realize this is an every day event; but tonight, as I was driving home from school there was this largest, crystal clear full yellow moon guiding me home.

There was just something about tonight that just made it magical. :)
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:05 am

Bob, that was a lot of fun, but adding the other recipients added more things to do but it is still one of the most satisfying things I've done in a while. :)

also, Bob, remind me to start making my bed in the morning. the covers don't get snarled when I sleep, but they do get twisted up something awful from the jerking in and out of my bed to smash blindly at the snooze button every morning.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Dear Bob,

I feel too frenzied to write a proper entry. List time.

1. I am very unhappy at my job. I feel guilty about this, because at least I HAVE a job.

2. I want to live with my boyfriend. NOW. Not sometime next year.

3. Everyone and everyone's mother (literally) thinks that David is going to propose this year. I don't. I wish everyone would stop talking about it, because OF COURSE I can't wait to marry the guy, but I just don't think he's going to ask this year. Next year is far more likely. I wish everyone would stop because they're SO insistent and unless they have inside info that I don't (which is unlikely) they're wrong, and then I feel this awful mishmash of unpleasant emotions. My dad always said to me, "if you truly love some one, you should be willing to marry them with a cigar band (in lieu of a ring)." I'd marry David with a cigar band in a heartbeat, but it's not going to happen this year, so everyone can SHUT UP.

4. I honestly don't know how much longer I can continue to live in this city on my paltry salary. It was difficult before, and it gets harder every day. I certainly don't have a high standard of living, and I never live beyond my means. I just don't think this is sustainable for very long. David and I have talked about moving to Wisconsin (he owns land there. Yes, really. Yes, him. Not his parents). Mostly we've been joking, but as time goes on it seems like more and more of a responsible option. Not years later in our future, either. But now-ish. Ugh.

5. I am really freaking good at cooking/baking. I mean, I am really, really freaking good. I dream about opening a Bed & Breakfast sometimes. Or just getting a booth at the farmer's market in Union Square.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:16 pm

You know, Numbers 1, 2, and 4 seem to intersect quite nicely.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:22 pm

And possibly 3 and 5 as well! Except the booth could be at a farmer's market in Wisconsin. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:33 pm

Bob,

My room is so empty right now. I literally have my bed, my tv, and whatever is in my closet. By this time next week I will finally be living with my boy (no more set backs), and I couldn't be happier.

I've never really realized how much stuff I had until I started to make room for someone else. Yeesh, I can't wait to have a place of my own. Also, I still think the best birthday present i've ever received have been my sets of dishes. I love them.

I'm ready to move, and I can't wait : )
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Dear Bob,

Today I developed the Computer Malfunction Pyramid. Or maybe it's just a list, but I'll call it a pyramid, because the upper ones can result in... wait... anyway. Here's the list (in ascending order):

1. Program crash. You get booted, your computer blue screens, etc. The lowest form of malfunction, and the easiest to fix: restart the program. There are underlying causes, most likely, but this is an abstraction, so I can say whatever I want about it.
2. Data loss/corruption. Files disappear, randomly can't open, saved games get lost. This is the lowest form of permanent damage, but the easiest to fix (if not one of the more lengthy, depending upon the data loss). To fix, you either load a backup, or you re-input your data. If it's a game, big woop, start over.
3. Program corruption. The program, either through software rot or other means, often a virus, becomes unworkable. Restarting does nothing. Unfortunately for you, often-times this leads to data corruption, also (especially with games). The fix: reinstall. A waste of your time, but at least it isn't costing you any money.
4. Hard drive failure. Halfway up the pyramid, this is the first of the hardware problems. Unfortunately for you, it most likely means that you have lost data and programs, as well as needing to purchase a new hard drive. Better hope that you are within warranty, because they can be costly, and some warranties cover lost data (which means the company will work to recover that important stuff).
5. Processor/video card failure. It's true, they can crap out on you, and that means that almost nothing will work. If you're lucky you have a desktop and nothing else happened because of it. If you're unlucky, not only do you have a laptop with a difficult-to-get-to processor, but the crapping out managed to short some other important stuff. Any of that happening leads to--
6. Total computer failure. The pinnacle of computer problems, because it means that you don't have a computer any more. All data is lost, unless you are extremely lucky, all hardware is lost. Maybe you have a keyboard. The only answer to this is getting a completely new computer and starting over.

Feel free to correct me on any of these generalizations, but I think they're somewhat accurate, and at least ordered in terms of annoying-ness.

Why do I bring this up? #4 happened to me last night. No reason. I set my laptop down, suddenly I heard it powering down. Now it can't get past the booting screen, the one that shows the little bars that travel across the screen. I'm praying that it isn't actually the hard drive and just my version of Windows managed to corrupt itself. I'm installing a fresh copy of Windows on a small backup partition in the hopes I can copy all important data to a separate computer before reformatting.

If not, I'm in the business for a new hard drive. And it's not fun. This is the first post on P-Web that I've not made on my own private computer.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 pm

take out your hard drive at the first sign of #5 so that its control board doesn't get fried and you can at least plug it in to a new computer.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:47 pm

If I ever make a visual representation of my new creation, I'll be sure to include that tip.

But, as an update, I returned from classes today to find my computer randomly working. Some research told me that it was most likely a faulty driver installed with Windows Update, and not a hardware problem as the symptoms and, indeed, Microsoft Support would suggest. Anyway, thanks, computer fairy.

We all know zero is the computer fairy, right?

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:17 pm

I thought zero was just a fairy, I didn't know he left computers under my pillow when I lose a harddrive. :)

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:19 pm

You mean you guys don't know? Zero is just a story your parents tell you when you're younger.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Zero is an African even-toed ungulate mammal, the tallest of all land-living animal species, and the largest ruminant. He is 5.5 metres (18 feet) tall and weighs 1,700 kilograms (3,800 pounds). Zero is related to deer and cattle, but is placed in a separate family, the Zerodae, consisting only of Zero. His range extends from Montana to West Philadelphia where I was born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days, chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool and all shootin' some b-ball outside the school when a couple of guys who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighborhood. Got in one little fight and my mom got scared, said you're moving with your Auntie and Uncle in Belair.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Bob,

A boy in my grade died in August 2005 in a car crash, a girl last October in a collision as well. Now a boy has taken his life. And I still can't acknowledge that any of them are gone. I don't understand death. It feels like they haven't left. Just that I don't see them around anymore.

It's so curious, how a life can just disappear. It's not going on. There's nothing left. But everyone is left with emotion and thoughts and questions. She died the day after my birthday. I had told her she looked like a mime in her black and white striped shirt, and she started speaking to me in French. I took her to lunch the first day she moved here. She told me I was the only person who she couldn't categorize.

The boy who committed suicide always seemed so happy, and so friendly. I hadn't talked with him in years. But now I'll never be able to. And it just makes me wonder how this could happen. He's gone. I tell myself over and over. But in the end, I'll shed a few tears and move on, just how I did the last two times because death scares me, but it's also too great for me to comprehend, so I just don't recognize the power of it.

Bob, thanks for listening.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:58 pm

Zero is an African even-toed ungulate mammal, the tallest of all land-living animal species, and the largest ruminant. He is 5.5 metres (18 feet) tall and weighs 1,700 kilograms (3,800 pounds). Zero is related to deer and cattle, but is placed in a separate family, the Zerodae, consisting only of Zero.
If that's the case, I fed some of his Arizona relatives last year at the Tucson Zoo. One licked my hand.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:55 pm

by proxy, this infers that zero licked your hand!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Only if Michael is right.

Personally, I think zero is an advanced computer program.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:35 pm

AI hasn't made as many advances than one would hope, if that is the case.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:33 am

4. Hard drive failure. Halfway up the pyramid, this is the first of the hardware problems. Unfortunately for you, it most likely means that you have lost data and programs, as well as needing to purchase a new hard drive. Better hope that you are within warranty, because they can be costly
Really? Most server drives I see can be had for under $100; I assume consumer desktop stuff is cheaper.
I thought zero was just a fairy, I didn't know he left computers under my pillow when I lose a harddrive. :)
No, just some bits. Maybe a byte, if you're lucky.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:04 am

Really? Most server drives I see can be had for under $100; I assume consumer desktop stuff is cheaper.
Anything over $10 is costly for me.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Bob, I quite like Valentine's Day even if I've only got to celebrate it romantically once. It would be nice, in theory, to have someone say they love me in a romantic sense, I've never had that, the manipulative girl I was with for a year and a half refused to say it to me while we were together then started saying it to me about a week after we broke up when she was upset I wasn't spending as much time around her. That still hurts in a lot of ways, I'm as over that relationship as you can consciously be, but I sometimes wonder if that screwed me up so much that no one will ever bother with me. or more likely is that I'm just a screw up in general and no sensible girl will ever have anything to do with me; I get pushed away really firmly by every girl I express interest in, which is a terrific way of confirming my insecurities about myself. I used to believe there was a right person out there for me and if I was just patient enough I'd eventually meet them. I'm f****** fed up with waiting and all that f****** romantic bullshit. I don't care anymore about finding the right person for my entire life. I just want to meet one person who likes me--would love me if we spent enough time building a relationship. That's all I want. apparently that's too much, no one is really interested in me, or ever has been and I'm as pathetic a failure as my worst hidden suppressed fears suspect, that's why no female will ever have anything to do with me--as ridiculous and emo as that sounds even to me, I sort of feel like this is a good day for singles to express their disastifaction (with themselves or the whole opposite sex).

the nice thing about being on a graveyard shift was it was a nice hidey hole from having a life. it gave me a great excuse for not having a relationship, now I just have to face that girls just aren't that into me, none of the ones I've kissed, dated, and/or been in relationships with. and it's f****** hard to face the fact that no one has ever really thought you were worth it.
Last edited by locke on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Dear Bob,

My mouth hurts. The right side. I don't know why. I'm alternating between my mouth hurting, my head hurting, and my stomach hurting.

Yeah. Romantic.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:34 am

Dear Bob,

Guess what I just found out I have to do this afternoon.

If you guessed "cut off the front half of a horse then dig around in the pelvic cavity" you'd be correct.

Anatomy lab: do not want.
-Kim

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:45 am

Dear Bob, I really screwed up Vallentines day . Julie went on a band trip with the girls, and I assumed we would celebrate when she got back tuesday so I never even sneaked any presents in her luggage. So Saturday I find a letter in my drawer, a scavenger hunt where I go all over the house finding all these cool prizes .Help me out Bob! I cant think of something I can just run out and buy without making it look like last minute. I`m up against the ropes buddy , ya gotta bail me out!
*Some people are like slinkeys-not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs*

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:46 am

Dear Bob, I really screwed up Vallentines day . Julie went on a band trip with the girls, and I assumed we would celebrate when she got back tuesday so I never even sneaked any presents in her luggage. So Saturday I find a letter in my drawer, a scavenger hunt where I go all over the house finding all these cool prizes .Help me out Bob! I cant think of something I can just run out and buy without making it look like last minute. I`m up against the ropes buddy , ya gotta bail me out!
*Some people are like slinkeys-not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs*

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:28 pm

Dear Bob,
I can't feel my face or my tongue, and today is my last chance to hang out with a friend before she goes road tripping for 2 months. I'd like to be able to speak intelligbly within the next few hours >_<
~Me
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Dear Bob,
I can't feel my face or my tongue, and today is my last chance to hang out with a friend before she goes road tripping for 2 months. I'd like to be able to speak intelligbly within the next few hours >_<
~ Wow what did you get into last nightMe
:oops:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:44 pm

Dear Bob,
~ Wow what did you get into last nightMe
:oops:
8 shots of novocaine will do that to a person ;) I had my wisdom teeth out today with local anesthesia.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Sorry about that! I had hoped you had earned a raging hangover , however now may be the perfect time to pop the cork, good luck :lol:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Elfprince, I'm having my wisdom teeth out (two to start) in a week with novacaine. Let me know how bad the pain is/was. Were yours impacted or just simple extractions?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:05 am

Bob,
ouch, I grated my thumb a little bit when I was grating parmigiana for my pesto tonight and it hurts. :(

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:14 am

Elfprince, I'm having my wisdom teeth out (two to start) in a week with novacaine. Let me know how bad the pain is/was. Were yours impacted or just simple extractions?
they were impacted (at least the two on the bottom, the upper two they said were easier, but I think they were impacted too, just shorter roots), but I didn't even feel the top two coming out, they were just like "I'm going to apply some pressure now" and had to work to keep my head still, but I didn't realize the tooth was out until they started on the next one, and I was like "wait, what are you doing?" and they were like "pulling out the next one" and I was like "O_o, that was easy"

the bottom two were a little uncomfortable, just because of how hard they to yank on my jaw, but it wasn't sharp pain or anything, just a little ache at the back of my jaw. The worst part of the operation was honestly getting the novocaine shots beforehand, and chomping down on gauze for an hour and a half afterwards waiting for the bleeding to stop without being able to feel my tongue. My jaw is a little bit stiff and my cheeks are swollen today, its not too bad with ice and the painkillers. (Honestly, I might try switching down to just advil later this afternoon)

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:11 am

Dear Bob,

My mouth still hurts. A lot. Oh my god. I was up half the night with it. Nearly called in sick this morning. Did not. Half wish I had. But it's my one day at my secondary site and cancelling today means missing the whole week. Wish I had a job where missing a day didn't have consequences for anyone but me and maybe a few co-workers. Anyways. My mouth is a little better now -- it seems it's bad in the early morning, gets better in the late morning/early afternoon, and then gets bad again at night. Oddly enough, eating/chewing seems to help.

I have a dentist's appointment at 8:00 tomorrow. Hope to God they can do something about it. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep last night. Despite three benedryl, aleve, and advil.

Owie owie owie.

Please, Bob, please. Not another root canal. I doubt it, though, really -- it's not sensitive to hot like it was last time.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:12 am

Dear Bob,

Why does everyone have owies?

-Me
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:58 am

Dear Bob,

I wish I had an owie and could fit in.

Actually, I guess I keep shocking myself when I run the garbage disposal. Shorts are a bad thing to have in a light switch, but I think I'll just assume it's a warning not to flip switches with wet hands.

-Jeff

Row--row.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Dear Bob,

I just preemptively got given the 'you're a nice guy' speech, this is fantastic progress really, I don't even have to work up the courage to ask someone out (which in this case wasn't the plan anyway), I can skip straight to the rejection! I'll save so much time.

In other news I got a message from my ex out of the blue. I am having a weird week for so so many reasons.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”