Dear Diary/Journal/Bob 3.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Dear Bob,

Parties are a lot of work.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Hey, yeah, me again, Bob.

He said the b-word! Not bitch, not even butt*; no, it was "bipolar." Rapid cycle bipolar. A little different than "situational depression," eh? Anyhow, that's the prevailing theory. Talk of medication and a support group, if I want to try. I don't know how normal this is. I don't know why I care if it's normal or not. I feel elated that maybe I wasn't making it up, maybe it really wasn't all my fault that I feel things the way I do. I honestly also feel scared, anxious, nervous. Confused? Yes, that, too. I don't know why. I suspected. It's just something else to hear someone else, in a position of authority in this area, suspect it, too. We're still "building rapport", so it's just a suspicion. Or something. Maybe.

I don't know.

*Help for those who don't get it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Dear Bob:

I decided that the place I was going to move in to was not right for me. It wasn't big enough. Which is funny, because I was totally going to move there, had my application filled out and everything, was about to go turn it it... when I got a call from another place that I was dying to get into. Awesome rates, awesome location, awesome place. I went to look and it was just the right size, super-sweet view out the window, wasn't on the ground floor and had interior entrances (or whatever you call that, you know, where the door to your apartment just goes to the hall instead of outside) which is something I'm sure most people don't even care about but I have never experienced in the four different apartments I've had and I'm really sick of the lack of privacy that the "six doors all in a row facing the parking lot" setup gives you. The only problem was that it had a restricted income and I went over it by $400. I thought about all of the ways to solve this, including asking my boss for a pay cut, but ultimately remembered that I am not on a time limit and so I will wait this out until THE. PERFECT. Apartment is available. Even if it means living in a location that I really don't like, at least it's a very comfortable location for how much I dislike it.

So anyway. To make up for my very disappointing day, I had The Coolest Dream last night. Are you ready to explode in awesome? I admit, it could only possibly have topped how good it was by being eligible for the "All I Have to Do is Dream" thread, but only just so.

I was Naked Snake.

I was infiltrating Graznyj Grad.

The GRU didn't stand a chance.

And then it turned out that the Cobra Unit was lead by Magneto (who was a pretty cool guy, it turns out) and his wife (who apparently exists and is pretty nice) and consisted of a bunch of Marvel baddies, including Evil Green Lantern and some Green Arrow ripoff that I made up named William Tell.

I got captured, as was obligatory. It wasn't so bad.

Wait a second. Green Lantern is DC. That makes totally no sense.

Or it is even more awesome.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 pm

wasn't on the ground floor
Wait what? You don't like the ground floor?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:57 pm

wasn't on the ground floor
It's considered a safety problem, especially for a woman living alone (but for anyone). Easier access, or something.

Granted, I live on a the ground floor alone... so, clearly not one I'm super worried about... but when I was living in HoustonI turned down ground floor apartments.
-Kim

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:01 pm

It's considered a safety problem, especially for a woman living alone (but for anyone). Easier access, or something.
I mostly don't want to because I'm really tired of drunks and crazies wandering past, screaming, not fifteen feet from my sleeping head.

Plus, like, after living in three ground-floor apartments, it seems pretty fun to live in a relative high-rise, six or seven stories up.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 am

When we lived on the 3rd/top floor back when we first got married, we never turned the heat on in the apartment because the lower floors heated it for us.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:28 am

Dear Bob,

When I was younger, people told me that it was a good thing to get a degree, not just for the specific education, but because completing one shows perseverance and other desirable traits for the job world, and that people will hire you just for that. However, after all of this job hunting, I've come to doubt it, and have in general put my degree at the bottom of my C.V. The day before yesterday I got called by a graduate recruitment company for that very reason. I had an impromptu interview over the phone and the fellow invited me to a graduate assessment day in Manchester, waving large figures and advancement before my eyes if I pursue a career in IT sales through them.

As much as I'm good at sales and that is the work I'm looking for right now, I don't want a long-term career in that. And a long-term career is exactly what they expect. Also, Manchester is a long commute, and even though the money is good, it's not good enough to still look good after the dent in both my income and time that the commute would make. So this morning, at 9am, as per our agreement, I called this fellow regarding going to this thing tomorrow. And contrary to his expectation and somewhat to his disappointment (I LOATHE it when people pull that card! if you convince anyone to come along anyway because of that card, then you really don't want them and they don't want you!), I declined the offer. And while I feel that this is the right decision, it really hurts to decline a fast-track to a high paying job at a time when I haven't got any job at all and have had very few bites.

On a related note, I've gotten another interview with a company having passed the phone interview yesterday. This company, thankfully, is in town. But I'd be selling credit cards. And it's part-time. Although the pay is good per hour. But it was right near the bottom of my desired jobs, and as I was applying for it I just had this sense of "Just watch this; this'll be the one to call back". And sure enough it was. The very next workday.

Why aren't the places that I would really like to work at contacting me? There are so, so, so many other places in areas that I'm even better qualified for that are hiring that I've applied at... why don't THEY contact me?

At least I might have work before TOO too long... (end of March if lucky, early-mid April if less so, assuming I pass the in-person interview to sell credit cards.)

~Rei
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:13 am

*hugs* for Rei
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:16 am

Bob' I think i've missed out on depression till now. I sit now watching it snow, everythings white again and i feel real dark. It's to be a day shared with dark companions such as Nirvana ,Nails, Rammstein,Manson and at least several glasses of absinth.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Bob,

It's been an emotional week thusfar. It started with seeing Him this weekend at a public event (never fun). Then, there have been two episodes of Dr. Phil this week featuring sex addicts, who really creep me out and also remind me of Him. I feel all icky and in a funk.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 pm

*hugs to Rei*

*and Buckshot*

*and Nomi*

Wow, guys...not a good moment for Pwebbers. The best of luck and feel better, where it applies.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:36 pm

dear bob,

interview went well, mayhaps i'll finally have a career! and the 10% travel sounds like fun actually.

crossing my fingers

~joshua

(thought i'd post that because you all sound like a bunch of sad-sacks)
Ubernaustrum

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:32 pm

Dear Bob,

Just thought i'd follow up my previous note to you with an update.

I have a second interview on tuesday next week! I'm so flippin' surprised that it happened so fast. not even a full day after my interview they responded. I know i interview well, but dang.

I wasn't as nervous as usual leading up to yesterday's interview for some reason. I think it may have been because i knew so little about the job that it was impossible to get all that worked up about it.

Just to fill you in on what the job is: electrical technician. basically building and wiring units for a wide variety of applications such as pasteurization, pressure regulation, and even ethanol/methanol plants! pretty interesting stuff. and i even feel qualified for the most part. I mean there will be quite a bit of learning... but that's normal for a new job. but it's basically the same stuff i was doing at the job i got laid off from (job before the one i have now) where i was a production supervisor, just on a grander scale.

and when i say grander scale, i mean it.. the ethanol/methanol plant they're building now is about 4 stories tall (laid on it's side on the floor while being built) it's massive.

And the 5-10% travel they have you do is basically trips to install or repair units in the field. mostly in the U.S. but apparently sometimes to singapore, puerto rico, canada, etc. which while i'll miss my dogs, and wife (whether she misses me or not) and family, appeals to me.

still, while i know i'll be fine learning what needs to be learned, i'm super nervous about the job now for a few reasons. the second interview is nerving me up because i want the job now. strangely the idea that it is a career and finally not a job kinda has me weirded out. i mean i want it, but i'm nervous about the scale and implications of an actual career. but excited as all hell about it too, cuz it's what i've been hoping for. and i still don't know what the money is going to be like. the salary might not be worth leaving the job i have. but i can't imagine if travel's involved that the pay will be bad... but i mean i look for jobs daily... there's jobs that want people with master's degrees paying 15 dollars an hour. effing crazy! and then there's the thought that i get the job, and i leave where i am now. which is not an ideal job, but it's comfortable, and i like the people i work with, it's better than it used to be and i'm good at it now... still the money is HORRIBLE.... but what if the new job doesn't work out? what if i don't like the people, or for some ungodly reason the work is out of my league (which i doubt since i think it's a good fit). nervous!

anyway, that's enough for now.

still crossing my fingers.
~joshua
Ubernaustrum

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:42 am

there's jobs that want people with master's degrees paying 15 dollars an hour. effing crazy!
I know!! That's one of the things that has me so alarmed about job hunting right now: the sheer volume of jobs that are minimum wage or just over, and how many of those are positions where I would naturally expect to get paid solidly over minimum wage.

Either way, good show and I hope the next interview goes well!
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 am

there's jobs that want people with master's degrees paying 15 dollars an hour.
Yeah, I've seen some contract attorney positions (which require a doctorate and admission to the bar at a minimum) offering $12-$15 an hour.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 am

I miss being able to think about jobs in terms of money/hr...

Apparently, being employed as a veterinarian is a much more complicated process of production based compensation, with most places doing some variation on pro-sal, where you get a guranteed base salary (between $55k and 70k) and then after x amount of production (calculated by any variety of magical formulas) you get 22-25% of the profit... and on and on.
-Kim

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:31 pm

Dear Bob,

The job I wanted desperately last year at the small press, the one that was ideally my dream job, the one that shot me down brutally without even an interview and then followed up with a lovely, personal letter about how great I am--but no. THAT EXACT JOB is open again.

Obviously whatever idiot they hired instead of me washed out.

Do I have the audacity to apply for it again?
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 pm

YES.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:32 pm

I agree with Ali.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:47 pm

indeed you should.
Ubernaustrum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Audacity my ass. If you want the job, apply for it any time you see that it's available. Let them see how bad you want it. Make it so that your name is the first that they think of the next time they make the wrong decision and hire some bozo who can't cut it.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:26 am

Totally with neo et al. Apply for it. They'll probably remember you, and the fact that you're applying again will show them you DO want it.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Bob, I am so tired of family dynamics and drama.

We live about an hour and a half north of Brian's family. At every opportunity possible, we are expected to come down and spend time with them. Depending on Brian's work schedule, we'll go down between 10 and 20 weekends a year, I'd say. About once a year, we have an event that we would like them to come up for. Last year, it was for K's baby blessing. One year, it was for Brian's 30th birthday. (That one we even planned to be at a location only half an hour away from them.) About half the time, they ditch out on us for whatever reason. This time, it's K's big birthday Luau and one sibling and family isn't coming because he has to study and the other sibling isn't coming because she has to go to a shower of some sort. I gave them the info on the party 2 months ago, sent out the invite a month ago, sent out a reminder 2 weeks ago, and another one this week. It's not like they didn't have time to plan. And it's not like it's THAT hard to make the drive ONCE a year! Every time they do make the drive, they complain about how long it was. Well, they expect us to do it 1-2 times a month!!! I'm so angry right now. This is a big event for us and we're just being pushed aside as if we're not important. All of this is on top of the fact that my sister-in-law and her husband treat my kids as if they are devil spawns because they don't just play quietly right at mom and dad's feet and they get mad at me because I don't helicopter them. I've about had it, but this family isn't the kind of family that you get to talk about things that bother you. You have to suffer in silence so as not to hurt the feelings of poor precious (sister), the "perfect" "do-no-wrong" only daughter. I'm tired of her treating me this way, but I'd be the evil one if I said anything. I don't know what to do and I'm tired of coddling and enabling her behavior. Grrrrrahhhhhhhh!!!!!

steph

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:46 am

(((steph)))) While I haven't been in a situation exactly like that, I totally feel your pain. In-laws are a complicated and frustrating relationship! And it's totally unfair that you have to drive all that way with 3 kids.

Bob,

I have been struggling, I'm not going to lie. Sometimes I am intensely unhappy with my situation right now, and sometimes that results in anger - too often directed at my kids. I am trying to make the best of the situation and thinking about seeking some help, but it's hard.

However, there are glimmers of hope. I joined a bible study at the church we've been attending (the 3rd one we've tried since we got here), and the people in it are really friendly. I cried a little in the car on the way home last night because one of the girls mentioned having a stitchnbitch at my house, and then when I mentioned my birthday (my 30th!! HOLY HELL!!) was coming up in April, she asked "Oh, are we having a party?" We! She said WE. That one little word means SO very much to me. I don't want to let them know how desperate I am, but it's great that they see that obviously moving here without any friends means that we need some!

Here's to hopefully finding some connections soon,
JL
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:47 am

*big hugs for Steph and Jan*

Bob,
Sorry I haven't been posting much but I'm still in a bit of a funk. I don't know if it's being sick or this winter that seems to never end or what. I just don't want to do anything. But I love you guys and I promise I'll pick it back up soon.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:54 am

*hugs for all of the above*

Bob,

I got a job! And it's not even a super depressing one! The big catch right now is trying to grab my boss when there's nobody else around so that we can sort out minor details like, you know, pay. But I get to sell fancy vinegars, oils, and spirits, which is very cool in my books.

Rei
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 am

Yay! Congratulations, Rei! I'm so happy for you.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 am

Thanks for the hugs, guys. :)

Jan, I'm so very happy that there are some potential real friends for you! It sucks to lonely and you are too awesome to be lonely!

Nomi, *hug* love you.

Yay for the job! Brian might just come visit you to buy fancy vinegars and oils!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:28 am

Aw, steph! I'm sorry you have such a crappy situation to deal with! Good luck!

Dear Bob,

Do you think I would fail my medicine case if I go with "euthanize" for my treatment plan? Because that's really what I want to do! (However, since she put a picture in this case and it's her dog (you can see her foot in the picture) I'm thinking she's not going to like that option.)

It's a 7 year old Dalmation diagnosed with Stage C heart failure 3 months ago. He's been on 4 heart failure drugs for 3 months. And now he's decompensating. She gave us all the tests that I can find to do for decompensating heart failure (except to check the SpO2). So... I don't know how to make this case fit into the format we have. The problems are pretty much diagnoses, I don't have any other rule outs for the problems the dog has besides heart failure.
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:32 pm

*big hugs for Steph and Jan*

Bob,
Sorry I haven't been posting much but I'm still in a bit of a funk. I don't know... I just don't want to do anything.

THAT. Except, I'm pretty sure my "not posting much" is still a lot.

*adds in hugs for Nomi*

Congrats, Rei!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Bob,

I'm feeling really overwhelmed, and there's not much I can do about it. Rei is amazing, though, and I would be totally at sea without him. Stupid school.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks all for the congratulations!

*hugs for EL*
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:07 pm

More congrats are in order, folks.

hey Bob dude.

you know that job i was talking about? yeah, i nailed it. Just got the offer like 15 minutes ago. start on the 28th. starting at almost 30k a year. considering my present job pays less than 20k per year i had no choice but to take the job. it's worth the risk of the new job. i hope i like it, and i hope they like me. and yeah, 30k/yr is good around these parts. not a whole lot of jobs in this area pay that well, especially without travel. this is only like 8-10 minutes from my house.

My word, did i ever need this. such a shot in the arm. WOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!

OMG i might be able to pay bills now!

~joshua

ETA: hey, a nice post to start the new page, would you look at that..
Ubernaustrum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Congrats all around! That's awesome to hear such good news, Josh.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”