Dear Diary/Journal/Bob 3.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Congratulations, Dan! I have this funny image in my head of Yosemite Sam slamming the door on the cancer and growling "AND STAY OUT!" I have no idea where that came from.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Good show, Dan!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:27 am

Dear Bob,
I've been busy. And this is the first time I've touched a computer since May 16th.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Dear Bob,

My new job is making me wish I could stick around for the next couple years. It would be great if we could afford the time to relax, earn some money, and not feel the pressure of impending time. And I know that to do my job properly, I have to open myself up, and that will hurt when I have to leave early.

If only circumstances were different.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Bob,

I feel better today. I just needed to admit to myself that I made and am continuing to make mistakes in order to get to "better."

I will not give in to my impulsive tendencies (Boston was looking like fun this morning).

I will not try to force things with certain people when I liked the natural course better.

No, what I will do is listen to my therapist: slow down, come to a stop. Breathe and think. Don't get overwhelmed and act on that.

I tried that this morning at work and it was pretty easy to do given I was the first and only person here for the first half hour. Today has been unbelievably easier than yesterday so far and I think it's because of that; it sure as hell isn't because there was less to do.

Also, friends are good. I had a few trailing after me last night, picking up the pieces that were me, and they were even kind enough to glue me back together. So, Bob, tell the one thanks for posting for me last night, I needed the rest. And tell the other two thanks for letting me call and be completely depressed with them.

I still suck but, ya know, I'm the only me there is who can suck this way.

Yeah, aware of how that sounds and leaving it anyway.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Bob,

I really wanted to do this the right way. And I tried, I tried to do this the honest, right, normal straightforward way. TWICE. And up until now (seven weeks after the second failure), I upheld that if I can't do it the right way, I won't do it at all. Well, today I decided "screw that." Because I know what I want and I know what I deserve, and despite stupid reasons people have for things I may be able to get just a small part of it. So this is what I did, and now I'm waiting for the results of my attempt. As always. And it feels wrong, it feels so sneaky and January-ish, and I hate that. This is something for which I do not like to have all these covers and diversions, and I hate that I have to. Despite that, I went through with it. June has never been a time for holding back.

You just watch, I'm going to fail. All the planning and coordinating will turn out to have been for nothing. Seriously, it's just my luck that something so well-planned, so thought out, so foolproof will somehow backfire. That's the way it always happens to me.

On that optimistic note...
The password is "guilty"

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:40 am

Bob!!

Words cannot express...in a strange twist of fate, it looks like things are lining up. *knocks on wood* I'm a phone call away from being sure about it. It would occupy time two days a week from here until soccer season (late night at work would take care of a third night), soccer season would take from December until March...then a month of going back to the other until...freedom.

I've got August to look forward to. Made some foolish plans back in April for October but in the process of taking care of those, and if I can't, I'll mark another item off my Mission 101 list.

Holy crap. Bob, I've got chills in a good way. Wish me luck; it certainly seems to be on my side, lately.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Good luck!!!

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Bob,

I just had the most amazing week. Amazing. I got to spend time with my favorite person in the whole world. He picked me up, and we spent days together uninterrupted. And, it's just been so perfect. I love him. I felt perfectly comfortable with him. I don't feel comfortable with people. And with him, I did. He makes me feel happy and unencumbered with the stressful things that usually worry me. And I don't feel worried because I'm not worried. That's the key. He really takes away my worries and I don't feel bad about it. Mm, Bob, I know that I have someone who I can always rely on.. And that, that makes everything worth it. To have that and to be able to reciprocate it.

Kelsey.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:58 am

Dear Bob,

Been absent this weekend due to having The Weekend That Was Possibly The Worst Ever In Spite of Some Undeniably Good Things That Happened (not including weekends involving actual catastrophes, deaths, traumas, etc.)

Undeniably Good Things -- dinner on Friday with a dear friend I haven't seen in months, having a short day at work, getting registered with fiance so now I have an answer when people nag at me about it. Dinner Saturday. The brakes on my car now work and the AC repair turned out to be such a non-big deal we were not charged for it. I love me some Sears Auto Repair.

Really Lousy Annoying Things -- car repair totalling nearly $1,000; nightmares about being back in school and flunking things and forgetting I was registered for various classes and one nightmare about hitting my thigh with a hammer (intentionally); fiance's mother apparently lost the money she set aside for our wedding and may have thrown it away while loopy on back surgery meds (this sucks more because she's going to beat herself up over it indefinitely than because of the loss of money); got my feelings severely (unintentionally) hurt on Friday by fiance causing an evening of lots and lots of tears and some lingering anger and self-derision (which prompted me to say probably the only semi-intentionally hurtful thing I've ever said to him last night, causing a few icky minutes there, too.); friend couldn't get here in time to actually help with the bridesmaid dress shopping; upset stomach; insurance that doesn't believe in covering any meds my doctor orders; driving around in 95 degree heat and humidity in town for most of the day Friday; spending time getting car inspected and registered and told by the inspector (politely) how badly my car stinks; gaining weight; not able to come up to work as planned due to car in the shop; my mom trying to help me feel better about the whole wedding planning thing and causing me to feel about ten times more panicked and freaked out; and, this morning -- anxiety and feelings of learned helplessness regarding ever finishing anything.

Feeling very much on the edge of tears since I started driving to work this morning. Cleaning out my desk helped somewhat. Got a long afternoon ahead, which won't help with the paperwork but should help me get my mind off of myself.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Bob,

I'm taking a break.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Bob,

I think I'm getting over him. Again. Also, i want this week to be over. Chem final, job interview, etc. So much rests on this week--where I'm living, if grad school is feasible, etc. But next week is my birthday and I can't wait for that.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 am

Bob,

I often complain that 1) I spend too much time on forums and 2) that I often freak people out with my random indepth knowledge on a variety of obscure topics.

Well these things combined into something fortuitous today, due to a post I made last night on another forum. hopefully good things may come of it. if not, at least it made me feel better about the amount of time spent on these two things.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:09 am

Bob The good folks at the pain clinic have me trying this funky needle treatment ( strange ass s***) but I do feel better with less of their dope in me.

endercoaster
Soldier
Soldier

Postby endercoaster » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:49 pm

Dear Pweb,

Randomly decided to wander in here after a long absence. Just letting everybody know I'm still alive.
Denny

"Children are a perpetual, self-renewing underclass, helpless to escape from the decisions of the adults until they become adults themselves."

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Dear Bob,

Today, in the course of giving a (giant) mastiff a routine treatment for ringworm (a lime sulfur dip), we accidentally dyed him blue. Nobody I have talked to has ever heard of anything like this before.

Also, if someone calls and says "I have a dog with a blue nose", I can see where the first question would be "is it breathing?!"... But, really, don't you think I would have lead with "I have a dog that's not breathing and is starting to turn blue"?

Here's a picture of the dog. We bathed the lime sulfur off immediately. After a couple hours his nose was black with a blue-y tinge.

Image[/img]
-Kim

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:13 am

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Bob,

I am so excited for tonight. Probably more excited than I should be. I get to do nothing. I mean sure I have some dishes and cleaning to catch up on, but that just feels like such a breeze, a short interruption to an otherwise stress-free evening. This is precisely why I'm single. I like this time. I don't get much of it as it is, and I know that it would be the first to go if I were to invest in a relationship (it's pretty much the only thing that can 'give' in respect to time right now). Yeah, okay, by the end of the night I probably will have feelings of want for a woman next to me, but even those are quickly eradicated. I just don't want the hassle. Trying to make plans with people, any people, right now is frustrating. It'd only be worse if feelings were involved. I'm quite happy keeping my sanctuary of me time intact.

--Me (during my time)
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 am

Dear Bob,

Well, Wednesday was a much better day. And then yesterday -- oh, yesterday. *sigh*

Following my quick succession of posts, I got back to work. And, what a day it was. Sadly, I cannot describe it in any sort of detail. Let's just say it was stressful. Ack.

So, here I am, not at work yet today because I fell asleep on my couch at home. And now. I. Just. Don't. Wanna. Go. (I have no actual appointments today, but I do have a ridiculous amount of paperwork to catch up on.)

I will go. Just wanted to complain, first. Much, much stuff to do.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:16 pm

Bob,

I miss England so much I can hardly even dream about going back. I miss my friends there and the city I somehow fell in love with. I miss being surrounded by people with similar or at least complimentary interests. I miss swimming with E, chats with C, everything about B, and so much more. Yesterday at work was so draining, but if I have to work 7 days a week to be able to say "Let's blow this fascist popsicle stand!" then it almost seems worth it. We'll see how things go and how much I can handle. I don't mind being a hermit outside of work, as long as I have Rei and one or two other friends, and my bike.

England Ho!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Petrie is okay for playful but this is not exactly that, now is it? No, this is a G D post, through and through. Tell Ali no pressure on matching me 13 to 1, though, please. I didn't mean to potentially cause pressure there. I'm silly; if I get to 3000 first, I'll live.

Let's talk, Bob.

I didn't sleep all that well last night. That's nothing new, I don't know why I bothered mentioning it. The last half an hour before I turned off the computer and turned off the lights was spent repeating B.O.B.'s song, Airplanes, because I felt like I couldn't breathe if I didn't have Hayley Williams' singing in my head. I kind of felt that way today, too, so I spent my lunch break hunched over my desk so my headphones would reach, just listening to that song. The entire lunch break.

I mentioned the money in the Hate thread. My brother had sent me a text while I was at work yesterday, so I told him in turn to call me after work to hammer out the details. I don't want details about my family and I should know this because it breaks my damn heart every single time.

My nieces are moving back here, from Phoenix. Their mother -who I almost got into a fist fight with the last time I was in shared space with her for any significant time- is a liar and too proud for her own damn good. Well, I don't care about her well-being as much as my nieces', so if she wants to be stupid on her own, she has my permission to be as proud as she'd like.

My nieces have been attending a school in Phoenix for homeless children, many, many miles from the wheres they had been staying. Multiple places they stayed.

When they moved up there, two-ish years ago, their mother did everything in her power to keep their whereabouts from us. We almost always found out after unrelenting nagging but sometimes it would take months. We knew they were moving at least once a year but it was more often than that, as it turns out.

They had been staying with various girlfriends of their mother, so that each time a relationship ended, so did their time at that location.

My nieces deserve better than that and either my SIL realized this or she's gotten tired of them (we think it's the latter, sadly) because after some talks, she was only all too willing to guarantee us the girls would be here by tonight.

My brother, their father, will use this as an excuse to not look for work.

Guess where my money is, Bob.

I'll be okay. I'll pull through this lovely money bump, even if it takes longer than I'd like, even if my Chicago money is being compromised.

I...don't know if I want to face the stuff concerning my nieces head on. I'm awful that way, but I see them and I want to apologize for everything that went and continues to go wrong in their lives and I want to make it all better but I can't. It's for the best that they're coming down here, if it means taking them from their mother, but the best in this situation still isn't good.

It also seems my grandfather is showing signs of dementia.

Wasn't it just Monday that it felt like the rebuilding, the inevitable return to 2007 normalcy and happiness (the happiest year of my life, hands down) wasn't so out of reach after all? Why do things always seem to need to take a turn for the worse just as I'm starting to believe I can have normal and happy?

I love my family, I think problems are the norm for most/all families, but sometimes mine is just too much for me to take.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:48 pm

I was very foolish today
The password is "guilty"

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:45 am

Hey you,

No worries. No pressure, just me having fun. :)

*hugs*

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Dear Bob,

Sorry for the double post. Today was a good day. I really, really enjoyed the sunshine and we had a good day. One or two moments of "testing", but I think I handled them well and everything got done but the vacuuming and I can do that tomorrow. I like my client and I hope we'll get along well. I'm far less stressed than I was two days ago, and I had even less sleep and I was all on my own today. I hope this bodes well?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:15 am

Sometimes, when you work on software, you encounter things that appear to be plainly and obviously wrong. For new programmers, I think this happens way more often than they realize, because they think they just don't understand what's going on. (Or they are the kind of person that assumes something is wrong because they don't understand it; 90% which is actually correct... but I'm not counting them)

After awhile, after gaining confidence and experience etc, though, you can come to pretty quickly spot when something was just an oversight from someone else, and hasn't been noticed. But then you get to the things that have been broken for years, or even decades, and have gone unnoticed. Important things. I was thinking about how I feel about this, and for some reason I came up with analogues for four of the five common-knowledge Kübler-Ross stages of grief.

Denial: No, no, there's no way this could've been wrong for so long. Surely I am not the only one who's ever looked at this code in detail in 15 years; that's not possible.

Anger: You stupid f******. Does nobody try testing anything around here? Nobody reviews the damn code? Nobody understands <programming concept involved>? Goddamn idiots.

Bargaining: [Okay, actually, this is the one I can't come up with something plausible for. I was considering "maybe it's being masked by something else" or "maybe it's not as bad as I think", but those sound like "Denial" to me.]

Depression: Why do I even bother...? There's so many problems like this, fixing one leaves a million more, and someone's just going to screw it up later, anyway. This problem has surely manifested, but nobody takes the time to find the real cause; had they, this would've been identified and fixed.

Acceptance: Okay, okay, just fix it and move on. Do what you can to try to prevent it in the future, but you can't stop everything. Bugs happen.

And actually, it is kinda neat. Sometimes it feels like I've gone exploring in some ancient ruins that nobody has been in for a very long time. I feel even 10 years is an extremely long time for software (open source stuff, anyway), and such bugs are proof that nobody has really read such code and understood it in that amount of time. So, I'm the first in a very long time to really take time to look through it... I dunno, it's cool.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:06 am

I can't help but to stand in awe of those who can dive into hundreds of code lines written by others :o without going completely nuts.

Because noone knows how to comment code anymore! *pulls hair out*

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:52 am

Bob,

Yesterday, I graduated from high-school.

Today, I'm both scared sh*tless about my future, and sad to see it all come to an end. I just wish I could relive those 12 years, maybe even those 6 years, again. Stay with all of my wonderful friends, see them on a daily basis again, because now I won't see them at all.

I don't mind even taking all those tests that I took, making the same mistakes that I've made (or maybe even some new ones). I know, I know, everybody says high-school is the worst time of their lives (or, if not everybody, then some people, but it's still a common saying). But now that I have a clue about what's ahead, and about what I have to leave, I can't help but feel all I want is to go through that god-awful time again, and again, and again, and keep being with my friends, and laugh and cry and be angry and be excited and have all this myriad of emotions - but with those people to talk to.

I don't want to go away. I don't want to leave school for whatever comes ahead. I wanna stay in school, even for my entire lifetime. I don't care if I live in a 6-year-long Groundhog Day; in fact, it will (in some ways) be a dream come true.

And the stupid (if this post wasn't stupid and immature enough) part of this post is that I realized it and came to these understandings, only after reading in our yearbook. Seeing all those people that I will now see..not very often to never. Reliving all those lost moments with the friends. I really feel like I'm dying inside, bob; the old me, who had these old friends, now has to slowly go away and make room for a new me, possibly with the same character, but certainly- for most of them- without the old friends (but hopefully, with new friends). And I'm not sure that's a step I'm willing to take just now (in fact, I'm pretty sure I'm not willing, or even ready, to take it right now).

Sorry for my ranting. Writing this was the first time I've cried in about 2-3 years, Bob. Thanks for listening.

~B.d.M

(open for discussion)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:28 am

It's not immature to feel sad about leaving High School! It's totally normal and okay to feel sad and overwhelmed, because it's sad and overwhelming.
I had such a similar experience when I graduated. I remember sobbing into my bedroom carpet, because I would have to leave it behind and it was the same carpet I'd had since I was 3.
As someone who is on the verge of a major life change as well - it can be really scary at times. Life can be full of these big changes that just... change everything.

But... believe me when I say (and I really am hoping for it myself) that there can be good on the other side.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:29 pm

And actually, it is kinda neat. Sometimes it feels like I've gone exploring in some ancient ruins that nobody has been in for a very long time. I feel even 10 years is an extremely long time for software (open source stuff, anyway), and such bugs are proof that nobody has really read such code and understood it in that amount of time. So, I'm the first in a very long time to really take time to look through it... I dunno, it's cool.
I feel this way about my research. "What, you mean no one's bothered to look at what this book says in 500 years? You're joking! Man, then I get to be the first one to comment!"

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Dear Bob,

I'm feeling frustrated for a number of reasons. Oh so frustrated.

That's all.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:09 pm

You know, Bob,

I totally get why I get flack from others from going too overboard. Everything from my admittedly corrosive methods of debate around here to making jokes that go just a little too far with friends. Yeah, I totally get it, I know I'm an a******. You know why I'm fine with it? 'Cause if I'm not, I'm ignored. Admittedly, I do use that to my advantage most of the time, so I recognize my invisibility is at least partially as a result of my reclusive nature. I just, I am recognized in my groups as not being a leader, and as such I am not trusted to lead anything, including conversation. I specify my groups because I recognize that my success in the working world - especially with a leadership background - that that impression is not necessarily one that is shared, but rather one that has been learned. I even recognize the difference with the few new friends I've made - I'm a leader in their eyes. Perhaps that is to suggest that my interpersonal relationship skills have reached an acceptable mix of corrosive and meek, and that others have yet to (or will never) 'see' the change. See, being in quotation marks, is more to say perceive subconsciously, as our high-level conscious minds often don't classify "leader" and "non-leader" in this fashion. It would almost appear as though this idea of "keeping them at bay" while "letting them in some while around" and only doing what I feel like doing seems to work for all relationships - not just women. Combine that with "be a generally nice [if a little abrasive], easy going person ['cause nobody'll care otherwise] until you have something that needs attention, then be a big dick about it;" great success!

Yet what strikes me is my deep desire to have something better. A relationship where I don't feel the need for distance, where "doing what I want" and "spending time with them" are one in the same. [[That is not to say I've had previous relationships where spending time with them wasn't doing what I want; I just mean having the level of comfort where I could come home from work in the evening and just 'live as me, but with them around']] That's not something that's easy to find, I guess. Isn't that the whole point? Well, fine. I just wish I didn't need to be so damned pushy to get my way. Yeah, I know how that came out, but 80% of the time the request of my opinion is vetoed, and while I'm totally fine with that most of the time - the only way to change that is to force it. I wish it didn't have to go that way. It's a funny little conundrum. Who I want to be socially is not someone who's successful. Who I can be professionally is successful, even (usually) extending into a social arena. It just doesn't build relationships with the connections I desire. Perfect for work, not so much socially. Welcome to life.

--Me
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Bob,

What? All that time, that book had existed, had been selling in bookstores, and I didn't know about it? In all my visits in the various bookstores- hell, I go to a bookstore at least every week, since it's so convenient- I've seen this book, on the "on-sale" shelves, on random other shelves, and I'd never thought to pick it up and read the back cover. And I've never heard about it, in all that time.

If I'd discovered this book, what, four years ago, I would've gotten entirely consumed by it. It would've been my guilty pleasure, my addiction, my fantasy world, my realm of impossibilities. I'd be reading it day and night, over and over, in secret, or else take it one paragraph at a time, having to stop to hyperventilate every few seconds. Not sure how good that would've been for my recovery at the time, but what the heck. Five years ago I would've been too young; I'd only find the connection later. Anywhere in between, it would've messed my brain up, would've induced countless panic attacks in confronting me with the inconvenient truth, while consuming me as well.

Anywhere after that, it would've been a powerful reminder of that time in my past. Actually, it would've been more than that, in the past year or two. A bit similar to four years ago, a mix of this and that, with the balance of "this" and "that" varying wildly over time. I guess it's sort of a way to summarize all those years, looking at it that way. Looking at my life through books, and the way I read them; I've done that before, but a book has never, ever been so relevant to my internal world.

At least, I don't think so. I haven't actually started reading the book yet, seeing as I've only just found out about it. Which means I'll probably buy it tomorrow, which is when I have access to a bookstore. Which would be a terrible decision to make, seeing as I am insanely, unbelievably busy and simply cannot afford to spend a whole day drowning in a book, and a whole week after that being still submerged in it. Of course, the Book (after all this ranting, it deserved capitalization) might disappoint me. Being set several decades ago, it might feel irrelevant. The plot might seem unbelievable and unrealistic, might require impossible leaps of faith. Still; buying it will probably be top priority tomorrow. Do you have any idea how long I've wondered if (and where) a book like that exists?

Conclusion: must make some progress today. Uh, sure.
The password is "guilty"

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:49 pm

I know, I know, everybody says high-school is the worst time of their lives (or, if not everybody, then some people, but it's still a common saying).
For what it's worth... I really liked my high school experience.
I don't want to go away. I don't want to leave school for whatever comes ahead. I wanna stay in school, even for my entire lifetime.
I see a fruitful career as a perpetual grad student for you :)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 am

I don't want to go away. I don't want to leave school for whatever comes ahead. I wanna stay in school, even for my entire lifetime.
I see a fruitful career as a perpetual grad student for you :)
Yeah, studying again and again until I'm completely broke is gonna be a blast. :)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:54 am

Dear Bob,

Why??Whenever something good happens it rains. I keep thinking maybe it will blow over. Maybe.Maybe.

Gah!
Where does friendship end and love begin?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”