Dear Diary/Journal/Bob 3.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:52 am

Thinking of the ridiculous and absurd is what makes a good academic. You have to find topics no one's thought of yet. It's frustrating as all get out, but it's kind of exhilarating, too.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:47 am

This I know. I'm mostly just laughing at myself.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Suddenly Kim doesn't seem quite so crazy anymore... :P
The enemy's fly is down.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Dear Bob,

I really feel bad about the companion cube.
Do not weep, for he lives on. In our hearts. And at Halloween parties. And soon, as a plush toy.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm

Bob,

I've just done what could be the greatest mistake of my entire life.
Damn my need for knowledge.
Damn me.

Edit: Bob, nobody laughs at the new jokes I posted at the Geek Jokes thread, even though they are really funny. And that annoys me.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:55 am

Dear Bob,

His name is David. He's 24 years old. He's in grad school for publishing. His eyes squint up when he smiles. He's from Wisconsin. He has a cat that thinks it's a dog. He lives in Brooklyn, but he's homesick. He writes. He calls me "Riley." He is tall and has touseled black hair and wears glasses. He's traveled to just about every country in the world. He has known me less than 24 hours and already he calls me on my bullshit. He gives pretty great back rubs. He asked for my number and I gave it to him. He orders his whiskey "clean" instead of "neat," but he drinks from a bubbler--not a fountain!! He walked me 20 blocks to the subway at 2:00am. Even though it was completely out of his way. He asked me out for Friday night. I accepted. We talked so much that I actually went hoarse. I legitimately have no voice left. I like him. A lot. I didn't think about Henry once the entire evening. I actually like this kid.

He's an intern. At Writers House.

GODDAMNIT.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:15 am

Dear Bob,

So I finally said those three words, well actually four words since she said it first. I have known for about two weeks now but didn't want to scare her because things have moved really fast. It was cute. We were laying on the couch. She said she wanted to tell me something, but was scared and didn't want me to freak out. She knew that I had never been in love before. She was scared that I wouldn't said it back. I knew what she wanted to tell me. I still made her say it first. After she said it, I hugged her tight and made her sweat it out for about twenty seconds before I whispered it in her ear. We have known each other for over 3 years. We kissed for the first time about 2 years ago. I couldn't imagine any of this back then or even 4-5 months ago. We took a strange and awkward journey to get to this point and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 pm

UGH WHY DOESN'T INTRO TO AFRICAN STUDIES COUNT FOR AN INTERNATIONAL STUDIES MAJOR?

Okay. Here is the deal.
I will take African Studies instead of Environmental and Energy Issues, even though it doesn't count towards the IAS major. For IAS, I will have Caribbean Literature, Arabic, and Intro to IAS. For Psych I will take Psych Statistics and Abnormal Psych. I will be on the path towards studying abroad in either the UK, South Africa, Egypt or Morocco, and a major in both Psych and IAS.

We'll see what happens.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:58 pm

I like ham. And I like salad. So you think that having ham salad for lunch would be okay. But --

EW.

That was the grossest thing ever.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:59 pm

Dear Bob,

For the time being, you can refer to me as Master Legit. Eaquae Legit, M.A.

I totally wish I could get away with insisting people address me as "Master Alison."
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:49 am

I'll call you Master Alison if you call me Master Kenn. (Yes, I have an M.S.)
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:09 am

What is thy bidding, my master?
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:55 am

Dear Bob,

For the time being, you can refer to me as Master Legit. Eaquae Legit, M.A.

I totally wish I could get away with insisting people address me as "Master Alison."
Congrats, Dearest!

And, yes, I know what you mean, Master Legit.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:22 pm

Yay, thanks!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:58 pm

Bob,

8 reasons why this upcoming 7 days cannot suck no matter what:
*I finally, finally have a black pleated skirt (like Daria!) and knee-high argyle socks to wear with it.
*Three days of school this week, with the last day being a half-day.
*I get to hang out with my baby brother for 5 days, which hasn't happened since Chicago in July.
*Christmas decorations go up on Wednesday (it's the most wonderful time of the year!)
*Enchanted hits theaters.
*Black Friday will be here and that means über-cheap DVDs.
*Hairspray is on DVD!
*And the main reason: FOB next Sunday!!!!
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Dear Bob,

Football game followed by off campus basketball game? Never, ever, ever again. Ever.

Do you hear me? Ever.

I am soooooooooo exhausted.

Of course, maybe some of that is because I was doing MOB stuff from 7PM Friday to 11:30 PM Saturday.

But, that 8ft in diameter beach ball was not going to inflate itself. Sadly, neither was the air compressor. We did it through sheer force of will (and mostly the lung capacity of some very helpful musicians.)
-Kim

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:40 pm

Bob,

Riders vs. Bombers in the Grey Cup! RIDERS vs. BOMBERS in the Grey Cup!!!!

I so don't care that much about football, but this is seriously awesome. Hometown vs. Current town.

JL
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Dear Bob

So, I was staying the night at my boyfriend's apartment. He gets up around 2 AM, talks to his roommate, and comes back informing me that there's a police officer with an AR-15 outside which is being aimed at an apartment a little ways down the street and he's going to stay out and watch and see what happens. The officer won't let the roommate go out on the balcony to smoke.

He comes back to the room later, slightly to my annoyance as he's no longer letting me sleep on the right side of the bed. (This is how I know the "honeymoon" is over.) Apparently a couple of SWAT officers had joined the AR-15 guy.

Anyways, a couple of hours later, he wakes me up going, "What was that. I heard something, could be a shot, could be someone kicking in the door," and bolts out to the living room. I hear a loud bang, then nothing. I'm really too tired to care much -- although, it is somewhat interesting, I guess, I've never been in an apartment with an officer with a semi-automatic weapon outside before. Anyways, eventually boyfriend returns. Apparently a dozen or so SWAT guys had showed up, and also there was a sniper across the street. We speculate for a while about what happened. He explains to me about different kinds of rifles. It turns out he knows a lot about them.

Anyways, there's a news item in the Herald about it. The guy was involved in a domestic disturbance, was suicidal and cycling his shotgun, and threatened officers through the door.

I'm really kind of disappointed that it wasn't more exciting. This makes me feel like a bad person -- isn't an armed threatening suicidal guy enough? But for some reason, I am totally unimpressed.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:05 pm

I guess it shows I'm a girl that what was most interesting to me about your post was that things seem to be going well with your boyfriend. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:38 am

Dear Bob

So, I was staying the night at my boyfriend's apartment. He gets up around 2 AM, talks to his roommate, and comes back informing me that there's a police officer with an AR-15 outside which is being aimed at an apartment a little ways down the street and he's going to stay out and watch and see what happens. The officer won't let the roommate go out on the balcony to smoke.

He comes back to the room later, slightly to my annoyance as he's no longer letting me sleep on the right side of the bed. (This is how I know the "honeymoon" is over.) Apparently a couple of SWAT officers had joined the AR-15 guy.

Anyways, a couple of hours later, he wakes me up going, "What was that. I heard something, could be a shot, could be someone kicking in the door," and bolts out to the living room. I hear a loud bang, then nothing. I'm really too tired to care much -- although, it is somewhat interesting, I guess, I've never been in an apartment with an officer with a semi-automatic weapon outside before. Anyways, eventually boyfriend returns. Apparently a dozen or so SWAT guys had showed up, and also there was a sniper across the street. We speculate for a while about what happened. He explains to me about different kinds of rifles. It turns out he knows a lot about them.

Anyways, there's a news item in the Herald about it. The guy was involved in a domestic disturbance, was suicidal and cycling his shotgun, and threatened officers through the door.

I'm really kind of disappointed that it wasn't more exciting. This makes me feel like a bad person -- isn't an armed threatening suicidal guy enough? But for some reason, I am totally unimpressed.
Wow. Awesome story...just what exactly is an AR-15? And I'm with you on that last paragraph, I expected more than some armed threatening suicidal guy..

Anyway..

Bob,

Frets on Fire drives me nuts. Whatever I do, I don't get any better, AT ALL. Any tips?
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:53 pm

[blank]
Last edited by Yebra on Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:21 pm

An AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle, and is the about the closest a civilian weapon can get to an MR-16. And I learned a bunch more stuff about both those weapons, but it's escaping me at the moment.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:57 pm

Bob,

If I can make it these next two weeks without failing a major assignment or having a complete breakdown, it will be naught but the grace of God.

~Rei
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:34 pm

Dear Bob,

My sister said they're going to start trying to have kids in a few short months. :D

I'm so excited to be an aunt someday!!

In other news, I am very very behind in school, and yet I managed to get a 100% on two of my five quizzes so far this week. I don't think that streak will continue.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:17 pm

Dear Bob,

I played two of the best scrabble words I've ever played tonight. I got "oxygenous" on a triple-word score, and "seize" on a triple word score when the Z was already on a double letter spot. I feel very, very lucky.

Oh, and today I came into ownership of a shiny new set of Latin Scrabble tiles. And a comp sci/Latinist friend of mine is writing an online Latin scrabble app.

Awesome. Sauce.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:31 am

Dear Bob,

I don't know what happened. Or how. Or when.

All I know is that I am one smitten kitten.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:56 am

I played two of the best scrabble words I've ever played tonight. I got "oxygenous" on a triple-word score, and "seize" on a triple word score when the Z was already on a double letter spot. I feel very, very lucky.
I had to scramble to facebook to make sure it wasn't on our games. You nearly gave me a heart attack :)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 pm

Oh, look, Kirsten's posting for the third time in one afternoon about the stupid internship process.

Seriously, this has to be terribly repetitive for people reading. I can't help it. I'm going crazy. It's as if there's a part of me that actually thinks that if I beg God, or Bob, or Dear You enough that eventually someone from these sites will respond.

This is only going to get worse over the next couple of weeks.

B has one interview offer. DJ has 2. Where are mine?

Crazy. I'm going crazy.

What if I don't get an interview? What if I don't get a site? What will I do? I have no idea what I'll do. I can't afford another year of school. I can't. I don't know what to do.

Bob, any influence you might have over these sites would be appreciated. Oh, God, I want to be done. I want to be done and be a grown up psychologist with a career in front of her. I don't want to be a student anymore. I want this soon.

I need out of this department. And out of this mental space. Very, very badly.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:38 pm

[blank]
Last edited by Yebra on Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Dear Bob,

I got asked to interview for vet school!! YAAAAAAAAAY!

They get 600 or so applications. They interview 225 or so... and accept 100-125.

yaaaaay!
-Kim

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:48 pm

Yay Kim!!!

(Is it me, or does 600 seem kind of small? Maybe I'm just used to M.D. applicant numbers, though the rest of the statistics seem about the same.)

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:24 pm

Well, the 600 is kind of conjecture... they haven't published total application stats since 2000.... so... it might be higher now.

I dunno...

but, thanks!!
-Kim

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:18 pm

I hate November.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:50 pm

I hate November.
So do I! No Jewish holidays for a whole month. And that's after one month of which nearly a half are holidays..Returning to school on November's quite a shock.

But then, there's December =)
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:01 pm

Dear Bob,

Successfully moved into the new apartment. Every part of my body is in anguish. I like a boy.

The end.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are