Do you still want a PlayStation 3?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Do you still want a PlayStation 3?

Postby lyons24000 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:30 am

The brave and foolhardy things people will do for the lastest video game console.

1. They will stand in line for three days in the blistering cold.
2. They will pay someone $1500 to stand in line for them.
3. They will gang up on somebody who tries to cut in line.
4. They will take a bullet to the chest.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061117/ap_ ... n_shooting
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:30 pm

What a loser.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:07 pm

what?
is this really possible?
It really puts the whole thing under a new light.
The "campers" aren't really crazy gamers. They are just resellers.

It's not as if they would do that for a stupid videogame. They'd do it for a potential profit of 6,000$+

It's still sick, but it's an all too human kind of sickness.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:37 pm

WOW.

They're even bigger losers. And the people willing to shell out that kind of money?

Losers^3

Miss Abbie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Miss Abbie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:49 pm

The Putnam Wal-Mart is a ten minute drive from where I live. The town is being ridiculous, everyone is terrified of getting shot.

Insane.
If you ever find yourself reading a book entitled The Bible, you will find yourself reading the story of Adam and Eve, whose daring lives led them to put on clothing for the first time to escape from the snake infested garden in which they were living.

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:02 am

well that means one good thing.... the ps3 is a success.

people stabbing eachother and shooting eachother over it....

yup sony will be sending out a bigger shipment next month.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:44 am

Well, it is possible it is not really a success:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=212
yeah, i know it's a webcomic strip... so what? Critizice the argument, not who did it ;)

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:54 am

More line chaos:
i went out wednesday afternoon to the local walmart to start camping out. when i got there, there were already 12 people ther so i got in line being number 13. i talked around and found out the first 6 people there had been there since monday, total hardcore nerds all planning to keep them. bragging about how only they should get the system since theyve been there the longest. how they are so dedicated and how if you dont want to do the time, you shouldnt get a system. generally being complete assholes. good for them. we had a hours to pass so we became friends and played some cards and whatnot. the 6 guys in front kept to themselves and didnt associate with the rest of us. we were cool with each other leaving the line to get food, bathroom, smoke, etc since we all knew each other and as long as they were back in 30 minutes. i was about to leave to go buy some KFC for a good number of us and when i stepped out of line, one of the nerds shouted that if i left, i would lose my spot. the other guys told him that they were vouching for me and that i was just getting food but those 6 assholes didnt care. they said i leave, i lose my spot and that was the rules and they would call the manager (they had his number) to come out and enforce it. i said whatever and stayed in line.

a few hours later, the manager came out and told everyone that there were only going to be SEVEN available. they have them in their store and theyre not getting anymore. he told the people after # 7 they should leave if they wanted to not waste their time. me being number 13 should have left but i didnt, i wanted to stick around for a little bit more. everyone else left except me and the 7 other people that were getting it for sure. so the day goes on and i try to make friends with the nerds. i play mario kart on the ds with them and talk to them about the games they were getting. about an hour or 2 later, i tell im gonnna head home since im 8 in line and theres only 7 ps3s. one of them made some stupid joke about if i leave the line then i aint getting back in!! har har. so as im about to leave, i tell them im going to the vons next door and if any of them wanted any food or coffee and id bring it back to them. one of them said yea and all the rest like sheep followed and said yes too. they were gonna give me money but i told them it was on me since theyve been out here since monday. the 7th guy in line wanted some food and coffee and i told him id buy some for him also.

so i go to vons and buy 8 coffees, some food, and some x-lax laxatives. i bring it to my car and put some laxatives in 6 of the coffees and seperate them from mine and #7s. i pull back to walmart and bring all the drinks and food upfront. i give #7 his stuff and then the coffees with laxatives to the 6 nerds annd wish them good luck and go back to my car. i park it around the corner so i can still see them.

about 30 minutes later, #2 and 3 in line get up and it seemed like they were yelling to the other nerds. they both ran into walmart. seconds later (i guess all nerds have the same biology) #5 gets up and runs across the parking lot and into the trees and bushes somewhere. #1 is scrounging for this portapotty type thing he'd brought with him but he is squirting everywhere and all over his pants and their sleeping bags. he runs into walmart. at this time, i start my car and drive back to the walmart to claim my spot in line. when i get there #4 and 6 are gone but i dont know where. #7 is laughing his ass off so hard and i just smile at him. i call up 5 of the other people that i had made friends with that were in line with me ( i had their phone numbers cause i was gonne buy to food for everyone) and told them to get back to the walmart ASAP and get in line. Meanwhile, me and #7 threw all their s*** into the parking lot and i claimed my spot as #1, him as #2. 4 and the people i had called arrived and got in line just as 1 of the nerds came running back and got #7. he started yelling saying they need their spots back. we all told them to f*** off, out of spot, out of line. it was all of us against him so he didnt say s***. the nerds came back and tried to start some s*** but we just laughed, we told them it was their rule and to go f*** themselves and clean the s*** off their pants. the called security and security came. security man was like WTF is that f****** smell and looked at the nerds with s*** all of them and kicked them off the grounds screaming LMAO. so that is how i got my ps3.
From http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1.

Probably all made up, but if dumbasses like that are using the PS3, I don't want one.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:01 pm

It's best to stick with XBOX 360! woop!
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:03 pm

[begin threadjack]

What about the Wii?

I think that the Wii really is the future of gaming. I just don't understand why somebody would play a game with thumbsticks if they could just point a remote at the screen. I would have so much more fun with the Wii than anything else. Yes, the PS3 and Xbox 360 have beautiful graphics, but the gameplay is straight out of Doom. Some things (like Gears of War or Rainbow 6: Vegas) might have some small changes that make the games fun, but the user interface is still the same as Atari games. I love the idea of being able to have a control scheme that is almost entirely based on actual motion.

I just don't see the motivation behind getting a PS3 (aside from installing linux on it and using it's blazing fast processor that way):

1. It's big and clunky
2. The controllers have no feedback, versus the Wii which has rumble + sound feedback
3. It's built around the Blu-Ray drive, which has about a 50% chance of going nowhere.

Sure, it has blu-ray, which could be seen as a plus; the games are beautiful and pretty good, but I don't see the motivation for buying it.

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:59 pm

One thing they promised, which they may not have delivered to the standard most need, is the ability to play psone and ps2 games. That's what makes it worth it for us. It makes it so that we can still play all our other games instead of having 10 different consoles for all the games we've bought through the years. But, we can't afford it at this price. We'll wait until the mass shipments and price lowering start.
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:09 pm

I refuse to like the Wii soley based on the fact that it has the stupidest name ever.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:28 pm

[begin threadjack]

What about the Wii?

I think that the Wii really is the future of gaming. I just don't understand why somebody would play a game with thumbsticks if they could just point a remote at the screen.
The whole waving a remote at a screen doesn't look fun to me at all. I've been loyal to Nintendo through NES, SNES, N64, and GC, but I currently have no plans to get a Wii. For that matter, I don't have any plans to get a PS3 either. The only thing in the gaming industry that has me excited right now is the Twilight Princess, which thankfully is coming out on Gamecube as well as the Wii. At least Nintendo is kind enough to do that.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:15 pm

I disagree. I think that waving the remote around is the coolest thing I've seen. I would much rather use a Wiimote than a thumbstick.

Yes, "Wii" is a stupid name, but the console itself is amazing, so it works out.

And I agree that Zelda is amazing. I would almost get a Wii just for that game, but not quite.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:17 pm

I just saw about 6 people lined up for the Wii outside of my local Walmart, and it's rather cold tonight... I talked to one of them briefly, but I didn't bother to point out that since there are only about 6 of them and the store probably has many more systems than that, they're freezing their asses off for nothing. I'm sure they would get one if they slept in a nice warm bed tonight and just got to the store an hour or two before it opens.

As for the Wii's unique control system, it seems rather like the PS2's eye-toy (I think that's what it's called). That is to say, amusing for about 5 minutes, then rather boring. I think that Nintendo, after having made some remarkable innovations in the industry, is now trying too hard to be different. I wasn't thrilled by the excessive touch screen and stylus use in DS games, and I'm not thrilled by this. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. I haven't tried it yet. It just seems to me that it won't feel like swinging a sword, or a tennis racket, or whatever. It'll just feel like waving a remote at my tv.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm still living with a Nintendo 64 and the original Playstation. My favorite way to use the newer consoles is to mooch off my friends.

As a side note, it would be really entertaining to see a person using their remote to duel a nonexistant person.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:45 pm

I use a hacked Xbox controller + a N64 emulator to get my fix. Plus ROM's are abundant online. Yay!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:56 pm

As for the Wii's unique control system, it seems rather like the PS2's eye-toy (I think that's what it's called). That is to say, amusing for about 5 minutes, then rather boring. I think that Nintendo, after having made some remarkable innovations in the industry, is now trying too hard to be different. I wasn't thrilled by the excessive touch screen and stylus use in DS games, and I'm not thrilled by this. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. I haven't tried it yet. It just seems to me that it won't feel like swinging a sword, or a tennis racket, or whatever. It'll just feel like waving a remote at my tv.
People do realize that the waving thing isn't the only way to control a Wii, right? There are controller additions (or plugins/addons/whatever they're called) which you can connect to the wand; one of which is like a standard controller. It will be possible to use the standard controller layout, I believe, if you really want. The waving thing is just being pushed as the primary way because then, hopefully most games will make use of it, thereby making the system very different.

Oh, and if nothing else, don't get a PS3 because Sony is a bunch of pricks.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:37 am

People do realize that the waving thing isn't the only way to control a Wii, right? There are controller additions (or plugins/addons/whatever they're called) which you can connect to the wand; one of which is like a standard controller. It will be possible to use the standard controller layout, I believe, if you really want. The waving thing is just being pushed as the primary way because then, hopefully most games will make use of it, thereby making the system very different.
Yes, but I suspect that most of the games (especially the first party titles) will be designed primarily with the new control style in mind.

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:05 am

I like to relax when i play games. Waving a remote around wont do it for me. I'll stick to either PC games or eventually get a ps 3. Wii offers nothing for me as it is, the only good nintendo game (in my opinion) that i see coming out is the new smash brothers. The new zelda doesnt look exciting and its coming out for gamecube, so I can save 250 dollars and buy for that if I wanted.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Fris
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fris » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:16 am

Am I the only one looking forward to having to wave the remote around? This seems like the coolest thing ever, to me. Think Star Wars, Harry Potter, Zelda, racing games, flying games, sports games, fps games, a viable way to put an rts on a console, burning a whole bunch of calories while gaming...

There are so many reasons this console could be great. It all comes down to third party developers sticking with it. So the graphics aren't even comparable to the competition, but come on, Light Sabers.

I look forward to actually being tired when I finish a gaming session on the Wii.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:27 pm

Yes, but I suspect that most of the games (especially the first party titles) will be designed primarily with the new control style in mind.
And I think this is the best thing for the gaming world. Fris, I would look forward to it, but I don't plan on buying any new systems. I still hope to try it sometime, so hopefully someone on my floor will get one... heh.

Edit:
Wii offers nothing for me as it is, the only good nintendo game (in my opinion) that i see coming out is the new smash brothers. The new zelda doesnt look exciting and its coming out for gamecube, so I can save 250 dollars and buy for that if I wanted.
Just curious; are you basing this on anything? (Well except that the new Zelda is coming out for GC.)

dgf hhw

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:36 pm

I saw a lineup of their games they'd be releasing, smash brothers was the only one i saw out of the line up. the new mario does'nt look very good, never liked trauma center or the other sequels of games they seem to be coming out with.

so i save 250 dollars by not buying a new Wii, or whatever the cost is. I'll just get the new zelda game for gamecube when it comes out 2 months later.

Sister Carlotta

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:48 pm

Am I the only one looking forward to having to wave the remote around? This seems like the coolest thing ever, to me. Think Star Wars, Harry Potter, Zelda, racing games, flying games, sports games, fps games, a viable way to put an rts on a console, burning a whole bunch of calories while gaming...

There are so many reasons this console could be great. It all comes down to third party developers sticking with it. So the graphics aren't even comparable to the competition, but come on, Light Sabers.

I look forward to actually being tired when I finish a gaming session on the Wii.
Your not the only one, but I have a feeling that the two of us are outnumbered here.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:20 pm

Nope...I will buy the Wii cause it looks like so much fun...I was really dissappointed when Twilight Princess was originally supposed to come out only for GC...but I can't wait to play it on the Wii...

And the only games on Playstation anymore are Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts...and I was very happy that FF XII came out on PS2...

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:48 am

I saw a lineup of their games they'd be releasing, smash brothers was the only one i saw out of the line up. the new mario does'nt look very good, never liked trauma center or the other sequels of games they seem to be coming out with.
No, what I was wondering is what you're basing the interestingness on. The... title of the game?

dgf hhw

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:38 am

Yes, off of titles and some trailers I have seen. Although if it comes down to not judging a game by its title, then I can use the same argument against you for a ps3 or xbox360. I've just never been interested in very cartoony games, which nintendo really likes to whore.

I'm not even all that interested in what either sony or xbox is offering this year. If the Wii comes out with something worth buying the system for, I'll buy it, same with the others.

Sister Carlotta

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:40 am

Nope...I will buy the Wii cause it looks like so much fun...I was really dissappointed when Twilight Princess was originally supposed to come out only for GC...but I can't wait to play it on the Wii...

And the only games on Playstation anymore are Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts...and I was very happy that FF XII came out on PS2...
You forgot to mention Shadow of the Colossus for ps2.

Despite how short the game is, Those graphics can compete with the new gen games, and I have not played a game remotly as fun. If you dont know what that game is... look it up, literally, the cutscenes is the game.

Sister Carlotta

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:21 am

Although if it comes down to not judging a game by its title, then I can use the same argument against you for a ps3 or xbox360.
Correct, except I'm basing my anti-PS3-ism largely on Sony's corporate asshatery and in general being pricks, and I've said nothing negative about the 360. And I believe I asked a question, not conducting an argument.

dgf hhw

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:04 am

:)

I know, twas just in case you decided to argue with me about the answer I had.

Sometimes people on forums like to argue, ehh most of the times.

*shrugs*

Either way though you are correct with sony being pricks, but I think microsoft is full of pricks as well.....

I don't think nintendo is prick enough.

Sister Carlotta

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:34 pm

I like nintendo for the same reason I like apple:

Elegance.

Sony and Microsoft ≠ elegant.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:00 pm

I like nintendo for the same reason I like apple:

Elegance.
Read: eye candy.

dgf hhw

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:01 pm

Eye candy is part of it. But so much of what they do is just plain elegant.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:08 pm

I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”