Computers

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
eriador
KillEvilBanned

Computers

Postby eriador » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:45 am

Here's for all of you tech-heads out there. A thread all about computers and gadgets!!! I don't know how many of you are out there, but I know I'm up there on the nerdiness scale. Yes, we are all on an EG forum, but you know what I mean :). So, feel free to let the rest of your geektitude out here!

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:47 am

Anyway, to get things started I'm currentlly writing this on a year old iBook G4. I love it. It's my first Mac and I don't think that I could ever go back to the petty tyranny of Windows. I would really like to pick up one of those o-so-sexy MacBooks, but I've decided to hold onto this guy until I graduate from High School in a year and a half. However, at that point I'm planning on turning it into a tablet :) Yay!

What kinda rigs are you guys using?

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:46 am

burned down.... we lost almost everything.... including 3 older laptops that my brother and I got from our dad, every time he upgraded. They ranged from like 9-4 years old. Anyway, the insurance company was generous, so me and my bro split the money down the middle and each bought a fancy small computer. I got a flybook (by the company dialogue, google it...) and mu brother got an oqo. Mine weighs about the 3 lb and the size of several dvd cases on top of each other. Its also bright red.... Ive had th laptop now for a little over 2 years now, and its getting pretty beat up... but i still love it... so slow though.....

I like my ipod nano alot, but it i think it could easily be replaced (with a new RED nano).....
thats from another thread...

I also own an old amd xp 2500 (1.7 ghrz) small form factor computers. 512 ram, ati 9800xt.... like 500 gigs of hd space total.... great old computer but getting pretty slow for what i do.....

I'll prob put together a new box... something with 2 cores, sometime soon.

Damn, that will mean i will actually own 3 computers... I am such a gadget whore....

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:07 am

A Powermac G5 with a 23 inch screen
And a Macbook.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:21 am

ibook? powermac?
honestly! I thought we were going to talk about real computers!

:D

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:24 am

wow. nice. I am green with envy. How has the macbook treated you? Because I had a friend who had a bunch of trouble with his, and I've heard a lot about people having issues with their MacBooks. How about you?

I might mention that I also have a Compaq Presario R3000 laptop that I dual-boot XP Prot and Suse (linux) on. Any other linux users out there?

ValentineNicole
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Femme Fatale

Postby ValentineNicole » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 am

I adore my Macbook. It's worked beautifully, and it's actually a fair deal faster than my G5 at this point.
Of course, I have maybe 1/10th the programs on the Macbook.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:00 pm

ibook? powermac?
hey, dont be hatin'.

Sides, macs are pcs now....

if i had the cash i would totally get a mac mini, or an imac.... hell, if i had like 10 grand to blow, it would be freakin cool to get a mac pro with 2 quad cores.... sooooo sweet.... now how much of a educational discount do i get again? oh yea, not enough....

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 pm

Any other linux users out there?
Yes. Lenovo Thinkpad T60 (i.e. laptop) here. I dual boot Debian GNU/Linux and FreeBSD. I have Win98, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Vista (Beta), DragonflyBSD, Fedora Core 6, and a couple of extra Debian and FreeBSD instances in Virtual Machines in Debian.

I also have some old Dell Inspiron piece of crap sitting in my closet... but it rarely sees the light of day (err, light of... the fluorescent light in my room).
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:11 pm

My mother's macbook works fine, generally, but it's tempermental about shutting down/going to sleep. As in, it often doesn't, even when you close it (Macs are supposed to go to sleep when you close them. I know that some PCs don't, but Macs do).

The first guy I dated was really into Linux. He was a computer geek in general, though--I remember he once did something that made his screen look like he was running OSX, but he was using a PC. The dock didn't work, though, as my best friend and I kept rubbing in his face.

I have a powerbook. I love it. I used to have an ibook, and it got me through four years, despite the enormous amount of abuse done to it by a bad, bad owner.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:23 pm

an ibook, and it got me through four years, despite the enormous amount of abuse done to it by a bad, bad owner.
let me tell you, my iBook has taken a ridiculous amount of crap in the year-and-some that I've had it. Only one major repair (covered by applecare) in all that time, and that was unrelated (i think) to my abuising it. I have to say, Mac laptops are real troopers.
he once did something that made his screen look like he was running OSX, but he was using a PC. The dock didn't work, though, as my best friend and I kept rubbing in his face.
I did that with my Compaq, except that the dock did work. If anybody wants a bunch of eye candy sucking up their system resources, go to osx.portraitofakite.com. The great thing about the bundle they give out is that you don't have to install the whole deal. I had it install just a few apps that give functionality without eating too many processor cycles.
I also have some old Dell Inspiron piece of crap sitting in my closet
Why not use it as a NAS (networked attatched storage, for those of you who are not computer nerds)?

Fris
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fris » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:03 am

If anybody wants a bunch of eye candy sucking up their system resources, go to osx.portraitofakite.com.
This website isn't quite as cool... :stoned:
I had to make a website for a class, and I was bored, so...

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:06 am

I like it. It's a great idea for navigation that works pretty well. I have to give you credit for doing something that slick with only HTML, instead of going the CSS/AJAX or Flash routes.

Too bad you don't have more content though...

Fris
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fris » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:18 am

I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. The rest of the class was learning HTML, and I was sitting there trying to think of something fun to do with HTML. And what would be the point of building it in Flash? You don't get to have near as much fun with iframes if you do it with Flash.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:21 am

okay. try doing it with CSS and AJAX.

first i would do it all in CSS, which would make the whole layout work really easily. If you wanted you could even make things draggable with CSS. Then you would use the AJAX to pull down content for each "window." it could be cool, but the AJAX should come after you've gotten all the css figured out.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:31 am

Any other linux users out there?
Im thinkin of taken the dive soon. Ubuntu looks cool and noobie friendly...

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:39 am

i've never tried ubuntu, but I have to say that my experience with Suse 10.1 was quite painless. The only drag is finding drivers for my wireless card :(

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:11 am

I also have some old Dell Inspiron piece of crap sitting in my closet
Why not use it as a NAS (networked attatched storage, for those of you who are not computer nerds)?
Um, why? (I also have no space for it outside of the closet, and I'm out of power outlets.)
first i would do it all in CSS, which would make the whole layout work really easily.
...and then render differently in every single browser.
You don't get to have near as much fun with iframes if you do it with Flash.
Fris, you make me sick.

And by the way, I'm automatically treating you as creepy from now on for using suse; the creepiness of the novell/microsoft deal is rubbing off on you.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:36 am

Macs are supposed to go to sleep when you close them. I know that some PCs don't, but Macs do
Not all of them. The ones that go to sleep when you close them do so because their primary vent is through the keyboard. Closing the 'book would cut off the airflow and potentially cause the computer to overheat. My iBook G4 is like that so I usually keep it on and open so BOINC can do its thing. My dad's Titanium Powerbook on the other hand has its vent on the back so it can stay on/awake while closed. I think I remember someone pointing out when the Intel Macbooks were first released that the cooling system had been redesigned to allow the lid to be closed without forcing it to sleep.

Yeah... there's more computers than people in this house and they're all Macs, although the oldest ones are rarely used anymore. The only one that's actually mine though is my almost 2 year old iBook G4 running Mac OS 10.3.9. I intend to replace it with an Intel iMac next spring once Leopard ships.
The enemy's fly is down.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:18 am

Ummm. my iBook turns off when I close it, but the main vent is behind the screen hinge. as a matter of fact, the airflow through the keyboard is almost non-existant anyway, so that's NOT why it goes to sleep (at least on my dual-usb iBook)

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Same with my powerbook, eriador.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:30 pm

ibook? powermac?

:D
Hey, a powermac is a serious computer. :)

My computer is an iMac G5. I love it. 8)

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:39 am

Yeah. The PowerMac (now Mac Pro) will kick your computer's ass.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”