Who knew?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Who knew?

Postby TerresaWiggin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:29 pm

this thread is dedicated to anything that made you think "who knew..."

for example;

who knew that producing 50 to 100 million tones of methane a year rice is the worlds largest agricultural source of greenhouse gasses?
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Who knew?

Postby Cassandra » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:35 pm

I recently learned that "Maybelline" is actually a girl's name.
Fewer people name their daughters this because it's now recognized with the make up brand.
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Postby Dobie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cd8NQmJp88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:36 pm

I apparently went to college with my first crush, and had no idea.

First grade was a long time ago, it seems.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:43 am

I recently learned that "Maybelline" is actually a girl's name.
Fewer people name their daughters this because it's now recognized with the make up brand.
haha. yes. and "Mercedes" is a girl's name too, although maybe they use it frequently enough in parts of the world where it's used... like Spain.
who knew that producing 50 to 100 million tones of methane a year rice is the worlds largest agricultural source of greenhouse gasses?
And that food-animals (especially cows) produce much more than that! Methane is over 20x as damaging as carbon dioxide as far as greenhouse gasses go, and the USA alone produces around 700 million tons of methane / year (25% from cows = 175 Mtons from cows in the USA alone).
AND that number is expected to go up by 60% before 2030!?

I think the important thing to note isn't that rice is such a big producer of methane (it pales in comparison to animals); it's that HUMAN ACTIVITY (we're the ones responsible for raising that rice and all those cows) is contributing so voraciously to all those greenhouse gasses.... if you believe in that sort of thing ;)
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 am

I'm pretty sure all the coal power plants around here trump both your cows and her rice.
The enemy's fly is down.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 am

I'm pretty sure all the coal power plants around here trump both your cows and her rice.
Coal puts a lot of nasty things in the atmosphere (including more radioactive pollution than a fission reactor), but I'm pretty sure significant amounts of methane isn't one of them. Mostly because that would be essentially dumping natural gas out the pipe, instead of burning it or capturing and selling it.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm

I meant greenhouse gases in general, not specifically methane.
The enemy's fly is down.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 pm

haha. yes. indeed, electricity production and industry (the largest coal uses) contribute just over 50% of all greenhouse gasses. Agriculture is just 7%... which is in fact primarily cows and rice! However, I really don't know if they're talking about the amount of greenhouse GAS produced, or the EFFECT of those greenhouse gasses. Methane is 20x more "potent" than carbon dioxide... so if it's 7% of the GAS, it's about 59% of the EFFECT. But so far, I haven't found the answer to that... and it's a major difference :/
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:20 pm

one of the most common password is qwertyuiop

of course we all know what our favorite password is...
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Fish do not have toenails!

Who knew?
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:35 pm

do fish have toes?

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:16 am

*double post*

when filming les mis they used rubber cobblestones so that the sound of rain/footfalls would not disrupt the singing which was being recorded live

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Apparently "Featherstone-Haugh" is pronounced "fan-SHAW."

British people are weird.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:14 pm

they most defiantly are,

on that note, who knew that there are more chickens then people in Britain?

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 am

who knew that there are more chickens then people in Britain?
Wouldn't that be true for most countries... I mean estimating that you eat chicken twice a week. thats 2 chickens a week per family. And there have to be more alive and growing to keep feeding people. Then there are the egg layers... When I could see something like a cow being closer in numbers (but still maybe more?) because you can get so much more meat/meals from each cow. And then the milk cows.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:23 pm

it apparently takes 2 hours to upload a 4min video to youtube. :bash:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”