irrational attachments to inanimate objects

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
RoyalMother
Soldier
Soldier

irrational attachments to inanimate objects

Postby RoyalMother » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:43 am

Or most likely to the emotional response these things elicit.

Other than blankets in general plus the ones made by my mother,

I have some goblets that are like some my grandmother had. My grandparents drank iced tea and cold milk from them. When I was sick my grandmother made vanilla milk for me and let me drink out of them.
I think they came in big bags of flour or meal, or just the five and dime. At any rate, you can't find them, except at junk stores anymore.
A certain crunchy, berry loveable person bought some and I love her for it!

To what inanimate object do you attach emotionally?
"I only came into existence a short while ago"

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:25 am

hmm.... other than things that I cannot afford to replace...

I guess the thing that I am most attached to is my bokken. Holding it brings me back to a better time.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:47 am

Bob, the teddy bear that Brian gave me when we were engaged, so that I wouldn't have to be alone when he went home at night. I reciprocated after we were married with a bunny named Daisy. They go everywhere with us. They went to Europe, and Daisy went to Australia with Brian.

A blanket my best friend/sis-in-law made for me. I made one for her so that I could "hug" her when she was having a break down, so she made one for me!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:41 am

Honestly, I'm non-discriminating. Sure, there are things that rank higher in my own little heirarchy of objects that mean something to me but I can find some sort of attachment to just about anything. It's my inner pack-rat.

I once felt bad about putting a carton of milk back on the shelf (it was leaking) because I thought it'd think I liked the other cartons better. I was eleven or so at the time and hoping that gives me some sort of leeway for being a nut.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:17 pm

I have a lot of those attachments.

1. My dictionary. I got it in 4th grade (11 years ago) -- a paperback Webster's New World Collegiate Dictionary. The cover is falling off, but I put so much faith and love into that baby, I can never truly replace it. I had to buy a newer, hardcover version for a class, and I felt like I was betraying it. And this was this semester.

2. My guitars. A friend likes building guitars and offered to put some crazy light system on the fretboard of my electric, or painting the body or pickguard. No way, not my precious Strat. And my acoustic is my baby; it used to be my dad's, but he never played it, so it's mine now.

3. All of my stuffed animals. ALL. They are in bags in the garage attic, and they are never being given away or thrown out. EVER (until I die, anyway).

4. All of my books, especially from when I was little. My dad suggested giving my children's books to charity and he received a death glare. Nobody is taking "Love You Forever" and "The Way Mothers Are" away from me.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the things that I thought of first.
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:38 pm

2. My guitars. A friend likes building guitars and offered to put some crazy light system on the fretboard of my electric
I cannot tell you how often i hear people asking about, or just plain talking about this. most people think it'd be "sooooo sweet" personally i think it's lame. i think it detracts from the asthetics of the guitar. besides you shouldn't have to rely on kool lights in your guitar in order to be known for your guitar work.

anyway.

there are only three things that i really hold dear to me.

1: the '77 el camino i inherited from my grampa.
2: the first acoustic guitar i made.
3: the first electric guitar i made.
Ubernaustrum

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:34 pm

I once felt bad about putting a carton of milk back on the shelf (it was leaking) because I thought it'd think I liked the other cartons better. I was eleven or so at the time and hoping that gives me some sort of leeway for being a nut.
Afraid not...

Anyway, there aren't many objects that I'm overly attached to, but around this time last year I lost a calculator wristwatch that I had worn every day since the 8th grade. I miss it, and I'm still mad at myself for losing it. It was always right there on my wrist when I needed to make a quick calculation, and it was always set to exactly the right time (which did nothing to cure my habitual lateness). Some people think that calculator watches are geeky, but I wore my geekiness with pride! And it's gone now, and I don't think that they make that particular model anymore...
Last edited by neo-dragon on Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:21 pm

The object I have the most attachment to would probably be this little stuffed dog named Arfy. I stole him from my older sister when we moved from Wyoming 17 years ago. When I was little my dad use to wake me up by making him bark.

I of course also have a baby blanket known as just blanket.

The only other big thing (I have a million little things) I can think of at the moment is this penguin pillow a friend of mine gave me almost five years ago. He's been on almost every trip i've been on in the past five years.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:15 pm

I have two very important stuffed animals in my life. Frog, and Mr. Lobster.

Frog is a Ty Beanie Baby Lobster. I bought him in Grade 12 during the Beanie Baby craze because I felt sorry for a stuffed lobster, I mean, who buys a lobster? Turns out since he was a Beanie Baby- a lot of people. Ah, well.
I had a friend who named her various stuffed animals after other animals, so I named this lobster "Frog".
He became famous for riding in the front of the van at school. And for being a lobster named Frog.

Then, I got a big frog.
He is three times the size of Frog, the lobster. So, I of course had to name him Lobster, except that he was SO large, I had to name him MR Lobster. And Mr. Lobster the Frog then proceeded to become more famous then Frog, the lobster.

Then, when I was in my car accident in '99, Mr. Lobster happened to be in the truck with me, and I held on to him as the ambulence pulled me out of the vehicle. He ended up being strapped to the spineboard with me, and I was covered in a blanket. When I got to the hospital, they unstrapped me and found this frog sitting on my chest and were all very confused. He's my little protector.

So that's my story.. the end.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:29 pm

Image Image

Charmy (the stuffed dog...DON'T HATE he's been through MAJOR reconstructive surgery) and Wilson (the teddy bear).

i've had them since i was born. in the hospital. they've both been with me through a lot and have each survived various trauma and tragedies. they are still on my bed to this day, although i don't need them to sleep like i did when i was little, i'll always have them on my bed.

the other is my dog-tag necklace. which is literally my childhood dog, Candy's (shut up, i got her when i was five years old on christmas eve, i named her "Candy Cane Riley" and she got stuck with candy for short) tags. after she died (we were close) i strung the tag on a necklace and wore it every single day for five years. including my senior pictures and all proms (on proms i just slipped it on a ribbon that matched my dress and wore it as a choker).

it can be seen here, sort of, in a totally old, totally bad picture of me and my best friend dan on his birthday...when we were on the tail end of being more than just friends.

i'll look for a more detailed picture of it.

while i no longer where it EVERY DAY, i wear it a LOT, and it has SERIOUS emotional value for me.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Afraid not...
I blame The Brave Little Toaster for putting ideas in my head.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Nicholas
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nicholas » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:27 pm

I have a stuffed duck i got on my first birthday, his name is Ducky. he had a really pretty purple silk ribbon around his neck and he quacked when you shock him. Now poor Ducky is missing in packing boxes (I want him back) he also lost his ribbon and his ability to quack when he was shoved between to buggies at Wal-Mart one night.)
~Nick

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:05 pm

hmm, lets see... Most of these items would aslo things that belong in the "essentials" thread. Things that i think define who i am...

My leather coat. In 11th grade, i found it in a closet at my parents house (well, then it was my house too...), turns out my dad bought right before gaining too much weight to wear it.... so it sat in the closet for 20-40 years...

Theres a softback of EG, that osc signed thats been through alot....

My extremely metro laptop..... About 4 years ago my parents house burned down.... we lost almost everything.... including 3 older laptops that my brother and I got from our dad, every time he upgraded. They ranged from like 9-4 years old. Anyway, the insurance company was generous, so me and my bro split the money down the middle and each bought a fancy small computer. I got a flybook (by the company dialogue, google it...) and mu brother got an oqo. Mine weighs about the 3 lb and the size of several dvd cases on top of each other. Its also bright red.... Ive had th laptop now for a little over 2 years now, and its getting pretty beat up... but i still love it... so slow though.....

I like my ipod nano alot, but it i think it could easily be replaced (with a new RED nano).....

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:14 pm

I'm also very attatched to my laptop. It's an iBook G4, the model from just before the new (and sexier) MacBooks came out. I could probably replace it with a newer, nicer (and sexier) computer, but for now I'm completely devoted to it. I've vowed to hold onto this (slightly outdated) computer for another year and half. I have to say, I love it.

sparkie: It's a tablet, right? That's sooo cool!! I've always wanted a tablet but I wanted a Mac, so I couldn't really get one. However, I'm planning on doing a conversion on my current computer once I get a new one. Mmm. Homemade tablet PC's, Yummy.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:27 pm

yea, its a tablet... but to tell you the truth, i never use the tablet features. I mainly got it because its freakin small and is red....

turn your g4 mac into a tablet.... get man, ive seen people do that, but damn that looks like alot of work... Better just to get a new (real) tablet and put mac osx on it....

and as for outdated... when i got my flybook it was the equivalent of a 4 year old computer... so now its like a 6 year old laptop (speed wise anyway)... damn i want a new flybook, but that would set me back another 2500 bucks... so thats not going to happen... sides the new ones are SOOO much more powerful....

But even if i do get a new computer, i would never retire my laptop, i was think of making it into a super cool portable file server/ hotspot....

I'm such a gadget whore.....

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:26 am

sparkie, you are a man after my own heart.

Anyway, my point in doing the conversion would be the process more than the end result. I've always wanted to do a large-scale mod like that. I've done some fun stuff with other things, but really small-scale and I've always wanted to do something big like a tablet conversion.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:54 am

My stuffed bear, named "Bear."

My bookshelves.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:59 am

My civil rights.

Oh, how I miss them...

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:38 pm

Furball.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:17 am

I have only a few items from my childhood that survived me growing up. I have the quillow (quilt+pillow) that my gramma made me in grade five. It has an Ancient Egypt theme as I was really big into that when I was in fifth grade. I also have a green and red plaid fleecy blankey my gramma gave me for christmas that same year. (What can I say? The lady likes blankets) I also have a small photo album that currently holds but a few pictures from my childhood, one of my grandparents and one of the house I grew up in. (its 95 years old pretty soon and they are making it into a museum.) There is also a picture of me holding a bigass boa constrictor at Reptile World in Drumheller wehen i was about five or six.

From nowadays, I prize a few possessions. One is the ring i wear on my third finger on my left hand, symbolizing my attachment to an amazing girl. I never leave the house without it. a) cuz she'll kill me and b)cuz it feels right on my finger. As well, I have a photo album filled with pictures and little love notes, coupled with an adorable stuffed love monkey that my fiancee gave me for valentines day. I also am never seen without my hat. It's kind of weird, maybe, but I wear my hat religiously. Its a gray and black Fox Racing hat with baby blue writing. I have had it about two years, but I left it at my friend's house this past new years after an interesting drunken escapade and failed to retrieve it until July of this year. Since then, and before I brazenly misplaced it, it never left my head. The last keepsake of mine, also clings to my body every single day (or just the ones when I wear pants.) I have a solid brass beltbuckle that my dad gave me when I was very young. My dad lives quite far away now, about 600 miles to the north, so I took the buckle off my favourite belt (it was ugly anyway) and put this onew on there and i wear it every single day, so I can remember my dad.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”