LibraryThing!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

LibraryThing!

Postby locke » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 am

www.librarything.com
Much like Amazon.com, B&N.com and other online retailers, LibraryThing makes book suggestions for members, based on their interests. Unlike online companies, LibraryThing has begun what founder Tim Spalding called "a humorous service" named the UnSuggester that turns the algorithm of "people who read Book X read Book Y" on its head.

Some examples of UnSuggester in action, according to LibraryThing: the program has found that people who read Kant's Critique of Pure Reason likely are not fond of Kinsella's Shopaholic. Readers of The Mists of Avalon probably do not enjoy John Piper's Desiring God. Anyone with a copy of Lauren F. Winner's pro-chastity Real Sex usually doesn't have Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:36 pm

wow, this looks so cool! i am always looking for good book recommendations and there's not enough people to give 'em to me. :)

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:05 pm

Interesting... I did an "UnSuggester" search for The Red Badge of Courage (which I hated) and a lot of cognitive and computer science stuff came up, which I actually might be interested in (and knitting, but I have no idea why nor any interest in it). Cool!
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:41 pm

I noticed A Confederacy of Dunces in the side and clicked it and The Sovereignty of God by Pink was one of the un-suggestions. Oddly enough the guy who I borrowed the Sovereignty of God from recommended A Confederacy of Dunces to me, and I enjoyed them both.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”