Politics...discuss

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Re: Politics...discuss

Postby Rei » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Bearing in mind that I have no say or stake in this election, I found this quite entertaining: Whedon on Romney.

(Apologies if it's been posted earlier and I missed it; I don't have the energy to hunt.)
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Just saw that and likewise thought it was entertaining.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:16 pm

I'm not a Romney supporter, I'm really really really not. And Whedon is definitely funnier than Samuel L. Jackson. But that kind of self-congratulatory patting on the back from left wing types (Whedon, not you linking to him) who think supporting Obama will avert some kind of right-wing apocalypse makes me :bash: because Obama is so obviously NOT going to fix those sorts of issues. (See also my previous post)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:09 pm

I guess I didn't think it was saying anything like that at all, and was just kind of a parody of both kind of political commercials.

But I tend to automatically read the best into people that I don't know but like. I supported OSC for years before eventually realizing that, no, I could completely dislike things a creator says while still liking his or her creations.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:39 pm

I guess I didn't think it was saying anything like that at all, and was just kind of a parody of both kind of political commercials.

But I tend to automatically read the best into people that I don't know but like. I supported OSC for years before eventually realizing that, no, I could completely dislike things a creator says while still liking his or her creations.
I think I'm in the same boat. I'm usually a huge fan of Whedon's work. But this rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I saw the humor in it, but I think there was a bit of Poe's Law effect going on where it felt like a semi-serious (rather than pure parody) Democratic version of this.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:25 am

Well, every side is going to think that their favourite candidate is going to solve whatever issues. Even if the issues cannot be solved.

That's what i have been afraid of, for a while now. What if the current economic crisis is a stable state, and nothing can solve it?.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 am

I saw it as giving the same message as this. "A vote for [whoever] is a vote for the end of the world." Only Whedon's was funny and this is just...insane.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:20 am

I'd be kind of flattered if someone thought I was powerful enough as president of the United States to cause the end of the world. Ignoring the whole access to nuclear bombs thing...

It'll be a lot simpler to fulfill my promise to start the zombie apocalypse if I can just place a certain vote, rather than actually trying to engineer it.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:03 pm

This kid understands me.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 am

For elf:

Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:38 am

Every girl I've ever dated is voting for Gary Johnson this election, and I didn't even need to employ a screening process, just careful argumentation :)
I think this is particularly clever, don't know if you've seen it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADp3-J4KCM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a political note mostly unrelated to presidential elections, one of my friends recently posted this link: "A Modest Hurricane Proposal for Honoring Climate Change Deniers", to which I responded:
I vote we name them after every politician who has ever supported drilling, fracking, or mining on public lands, or the use of eminent domain to lay electric or transportation infrastructure, or voted to use federal money to subsidize fossil fuels or corn ethanol. The economics of green transportation and green energy would look a lot different if lighter-than-aircraft were cost-competitive with cars, and self contained solar and wind power were cost competitive with coal burning power plants.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Gary Johnson polling above the margin of victory in Florida, Ohio, and Virginia. Hey RNC, wish you hadn't acted like d***weeds?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 pm

It always makes you feel like your vote matters when they call the election before your state has closed its polls.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:28 pm

It always makes you feel like your vote matters when they call the election before your state has closed its polls.
A phenomenal reason to vote 3rd party. Because their goals have more to do with breaking 5% and getting access to matching funding for next time around than with winning the state.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 am

I am just sad, damn sad that we had no real choice for president this go around! I wrote a bit about it but edited it out becouse I would hate to upset or insult anyone but I do feel bad that neither party could run a candidate I could ever be proud to call Commander in chief!

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:15 am

A phenomenal reason to vote 3rd party. Because their goals have more to do with breaking 5% and getting access to matching funding for next time around than with winning the state.
Seriously, guys, push for parlamentarianism to substitute presidentialism.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:24 am

Well, I am thrilled :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:33 am

I'm thrilled for so many reasons! Gay rights! Heidi Heitkamp! (Probably.) Elizabeth Warren! Connecticut still won't sell Linda McMahon a Senate seat!

The one thing sticking in my craw right now is that my city voted strongly against adding fluoride to the water. Apparently letting kids get holes in their teeth is character-building.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 am

Matt Welch pretty much summed it up:
After four years of a crappy economy, bipartisan dissatisfaction with bailout economics, and populous revolts on the right and the left, we are seeing basically the exact same government we had on November 6th. The status quo, which has never been less popular, has just been ratified.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 am

I was glad to see the voters in Colorado and Washington approved their respective marijuana decriminalization measures. (And it's too bad the administration still plans to keep cracking down on it in those states.)

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:23 am

They actually banned announcing any totals in Canada before all the polls closed because as soon as Ontario and Quebec were announced, everyone knew who would almost certainly win, even though people were still voting in the West.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:33 am

Matt Welch pretty much summed it up:
After four years of a crappy economy, bipartisan dissatisfaction with bailout economics, and populous revolts on the right and the left, we are seeing basically the exact same government we had on November 6th. The status quo, which has never been less popular, has just been ratified.
I'm hoping it's the kick in the pants the public needs to do something interesting next time around. Also, one of the few advantages of Obama having won, from my perspective, is neither party will have an incumbent next time around.
I was glad to see the voters in Colorado and Washington approved their respective marijuana decriminalization measures. (And it's too bad the administration still plans to keep cracking down on it in those states.)
Should be a party :D

[edit - this is relevant to our interests]

[edit 2]
Image of my own creation, map due to the Washington Post.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 pm

We weren't the only "crazy" household in our precinct:

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Hey, question. Is it possible to spoil your ballot or do write-ins when you have electronic voting?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:54 pm

We weren't the only "crazy" household in our precinct:

223 votes for Gary Johnson in my county, meaning people who are Facebook friends with me only accounted for 4.5% of his votes here. That's kind of encouraging. Wish I could get the results from our town. I can't find town-by-town results for VT, except from MSNBC and CNN, who only show major party results, but reverse engineering from that tells me somewhere around 3% of our town voted 3rd party, amounting to something like 55 votes. Don't know what the breakdown between parties was though.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Hey, question. Is it possible to spoil your ballot or do write-ins when you have electronic voting?
I assume you can do write-ins, but that there is no way to overvote your ballot if it's electronic. I wouldn't know, though, because everywhere I've ever lived has had paper ballots.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”